Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tales Of the Undouchebag: Post the most egregious undo's you've granted.  (Read 1722 times)

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile

I'm auto undo.  I'd rather play fast with erasers than slow Af and uber deliberate. Like play like you would IRL. If your friend in an at home game bought a Grand market and while playing the 2 golds fumbled his hand and dropped a coper on the table would you say "copper in play"! Or just let them pick it up?  I Hate undouchebags.  I was playing someone in a villa/chameleon deck and they bought a province with 10 coins, then almost immediately requested an undo.  I thought maybe they decided that they didn't want to green yet and get  a villa and a 6.

They then proceeded to villa and chameleon to a mega draw hand. ;D

I still whipped em, but they got the ban hammer.  Some people.

Another time I had a dude undo a vassal.  Then Squirrel it.   :o

Post your favorite abusive undo stories here 8).
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

vidicate

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: vidicate
  • Something clever goes here
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
+2

I responded to the Chameleon one in the other thread. But yeah, that Vassal one is straight up cheating lol.
WHERE ARE THE TURTLES?!!! …WHERE ARE THEY?!
-----
Felix: Let's see if you guys are as good as they say.
Grif: Prepare to be sorely disappointed.
-----
Who da man? I da man. I always suspected. -Dr. House

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
+6

I play most of my games IRL, but I generally agree with with policy that it's better to play quickly with undos than have to think about what should be routine moves to ensure you don't overlook any edge cases (or misclick if online).  As a result my general policy is that undos are fair game as long as (1) they don't go back a ridiculous amount of time, and (2) the undoing player doesn't change any decisions based on information gained via the undone decisions.  So as long as no new information was gained from the undone action, I think undoes are fair game.  If new information was gained, it's really a matter of trust, although I trust the people I play with IRL not to abuse this. 

Of course, if it's a situation where it could easily have been a misclick (e.g., you play a card with optional trashing and accidentally trash the card you wanted to play next because you forgot to hit "Done Trashing"), I'd allow undoes even if there was new information.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
+3

In my view undos are always fine as long as no new information is revealed. Isotropic used to work that way.

That's also the basis I ask for undos, but of they refuse or don't hit after 10 seconds I let it go. I try not to resign just because I wasn't granted an undo but I resign quite often so it happens.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
+2

I play most of my games IRL, but I generally agree with with policy that it's better to play quickly with undos than have to think about what should be routine moves to ensure you don't overlook any edge cases (or misclick if online).  As a result my general policy is that undos are fair game as long as (1) they don't go back a ridiculous amount of time, and (2) the undoing player doesn't change any decisions based on information gained via the undone decisions.  So as long as no new information was gained from the undone action, I think undoes are fair game.  If new information was gained, it's really a matter of trust, although I trust the people I play with IRL not to abuse this. 

Of course, if it's a situation where it could easily have been a misclick (e.g., you play a card with optional trashing and accidentally trash the card you wanted to play next because you forgot to hit "Done Trashing"), I'd allow undoes even if there was new information.

I go even further.  I'll allow undos if the person sees cards, but made a mistake like playing a terminal when they had an action in hand and just lost track of actions in play.

There are times when the cards have been seen (often very early in the game) and the cards are drawn don't really affect the play. I'll even grant there usually, but I can see how some wouldn't, and don't have a problem with that at all.

"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
+1

In my view undos are always fine as long as no new information is revealed. Isotropic used to work that way.

That's also the basis I ask for undos, but of they refuse or don't hit after 10 seconds I let it go. I try not to resign just because I wasn't granted an undo but I resign quite often so it happens.

yeah depends on how much is left usually.  But I'll ban them after for it. But if real early i'll just quit too.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
+1

Or like I was just in a sorcerer game and forgot about unconfirmed reactions with preplay http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21265.0 So I accidentally played a  sorcerer as a preplay and when his sorcerer engaged I guessed sorcerer (when I have 2 instead of copper which I have 7. I asked for and was granted an undo and then they said it was "straight-up cheating" when I guessed copper and was correct.  FWIW I did not look at the log and was looking at my keyboard typing the whole time.  I explained to him that neither of us will not name copper for at least the next 10-15 turns and he calmed down.  But under the "unless info is revealed" standard this would be a clear no undo when in IRL or honorable play should be granted as an obvious mistake based on the technology of the site, brainfart of the player.  It is a play that wouldn't even come into play IRL.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 05:46:28 pm by Honkeyfresh »

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile

Just had a dude undo a marquis.  We had like 3/4 cantrips and I assumed he forgot to hit one and granted it.  Then he salvagered the marquis to take a provy.  ::) :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 05:50:19 pm by Honkeyfresh »

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
Re: Tales Of the Undouchebag: Post the most egregious undo's you've granted.
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2023, 02:53:14 pm »

Got a new one.

Dude hits 6 coins.  Buys a gold. Then immediately undoes.
 I'm pretty auto undo, so I thought he might have wanted a cobbler or sacred grove maybe.
 Instead, he scouting parties to discard 2 tunnels for two golds, because he "misclicked" the first gold buy. I can relate, I mean, don't we all hate it when we misclick on events when we're trying to buy gold?  :o

I mean, I guess he is right. If you just think about it for two seconds, if you could get two gold instead of one gold and clear two victory cards from your next hand, why wouldn't you make that move?

;D

Some people.  What kind of an idiot buys Militi in a tunnel game anyway, except in very limited scenarios.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 03:00:09 pm by Honkeyfresh »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2023, 04:52:06 pm »
+1

I'm still generally confused as to why "undo" is even a feature in online dominion. At least the way it's implemented. If you've seen new information, then undo should simply never be possible. That's how pretty much any group I know would play IRL. If you haven't seen new information, then undo should be automatic without needing to request it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2023, 07:02:21 pm »
+2

I'm still generally confused as to why "undo" is even a feature in online dominion. At least the way it's implemented. If you've seen new information, then undo should simply never be possible. That's how pretty much any group I know would play IRL. If you haven't seen new information, then undo should be automatic without needing to request it.

I dunno. While I agree new info in most scenarios is where I draw the line too. But, sometimes with quick play, especially in the beginning, or middle you might preplay, forgetting you have 2 sailors in play or something, and obviously would have say bought a 6 over a 3, but had a 3 prebought etc, especially when the deck didn't shuffle or anything.  I'd rather play fast with erasers in reasonable scenarios, that slow AF and be SUPER slow and deliberate about everything when playing with reasonable people.  Sometimes misclicks or just mental mistakes that you notice immediately deserve an undo. 

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2023, 12:48:07 am »
+3

It's a courtesy, since playing online is much faster than playing IRL and it's easy to just zone out and do the wrong thing. I'm sure there's many times when I just thought I had one more buy than I did, bought a cheap card thinking I'd be able to buy another cheap card, saw my turn immediately end, and immediately clicked undo, and was very grateful for the option even though I'd technically seen my next hand already. IRL what would happen is I'd take my two villages and my opponent would say "pretty sure you have only one buy there sport" and I'd go "oh right" and put them back and take a Gold or whatever. and the undo button is the online equivalent of that.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2023, 01:55:47 pm »
+2

It's a courtesy, since playing online is much faster than playing IRL and it's easy to just zone out and do the wrong thing. I'm sure there's many times when I just thought I had one more buy than I did, bought a cheap card thinking I'd be able to buy another cheap card, saw my turn immediately end, and immediately clicked undo, and was very grateful for the option even though I'd technically seen my next hand already. IRL what would happen is I'd take my two villages and my opponent would say "pretty sure you have only one buy there sport" and I'd go "oh right" and put them back and take a Gold or whatever. and the undo button is the online equivalent of that.

yeah like If I bought a 4-5 cost card with 11 coins, you can bet I prolly thought I had a buy. I'd easily grant that undo, even though there obviously technically is new info with cards seen.

villafan001

• Steward
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2023, 05:49:22 pm »
+2

It’s just a game - so I’ve got no problem if people undo whether they make a mistake, misclick, change of heart, whatever.

If people want to “cheat” to improve their win percentage in that way then I don’t see why they really bother playing the game in the first place, but hey, it’s just a game (those people are rare IME).

Equally people who steadfastly refuse all undos even for an obvious misclick - good luck to them, but you know, it’s just a game.

As I see it, we’re here to have fun, and some people take it too seriously.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2023, 06:03:58 pm »
+1

I have had people IRL deny me an undo. I don't recall the exact scenario, but I do remember that it involved spotting a non-obvious sequence of three or four actions that I could play to get enough coins for the last Province, but the order in which I played them was crucial and finicky. I planned it correctly, then played them wrong, and I had no new info but one of my opponents said "you're better at the game than the rest of us; you shouldn't make slip-ups" and wouldn't let me switch the order to what had been in my head. It left me short.

The Province was untouched until my next turn, so I just bought it then, but I was somewhat annoyed. I still play with that player, because they're a very good friend in all other respects, but I no longer allow them to undo anything when playing Dominion because I know they won't extend the same courtesy to me.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Snorka

• Baron
  • he/him or they/them- no preference
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2023, 01:20:00 am »
+1

I once had someone deny my undo after I had drawn a card. Only issue was I already knew what the card was because of sentry. Not a big deal, though.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2023, 04:13:42 pm »
+1

I once had someone deny my undo after I had drawn a card. Only issue was I already knew what the card was because of sentry. Not a big deal, though.

Exactly.  I've had this happen to me many times with a top decking issue.  Especially the ones that u put back from your hand like Haunted Castle for example and you forget when top-decking two cards, whether the first one or second one goes on top.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 04:15:10 pm by Honkeyfresh »

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 21 queries.