Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Alchemy II Fan Expansion  (Read 895 times)

n_sanity

• Swindler
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
Alchemy II Fan Expansion
« on: June 23, 2022, 01:55:01 pm »
+4

Hey all, Alchemy was my favourite set, so I've decided to make my own fan expansion, as a kind of follow-up to it. I'm looking for some feedback for some of the cards I'm working on here.

Mechanics I used not found in the Base game are Potions, Coffers, and Night cards. A lot of these cards are meant to be fairly simple Potion costing cards, doing pretty vanilla stuff, which I felt was missing from Alchemy.

I don't have artwork yet for these, since it's still a work in progress and I may cut/change lots of them.

First up is the Endowment. It can be added to the Kingdom (not the Supply) if Potion is being used that game. (Compare with Platinum/Colony.) This card is based on another fan card I saw somewhere, but I can't remember the name/cost/vp it gave. (If you have know, please give me a link so I can credit.)

Next up, we have a new Treasure:

Lead gets "transmuted" into Gold. I really like the "flavor" I got here, although it may be a bit off in terms of balance.

And a new Victory card:

At worst, Grove is a expensive Estate, but if you can go for pileout, it can be worth 2 or 3 VP.

Next, we have some simple Action cards:

These 5 are fairly self-explanatory I think. Just simple effects on Potion cards.

A couple more complicated Actions:

I've also dipped into some Night cards for this expansion:

Doppelganger and Tabernacle are just simple variants of Changeling and Chapel, respectively. Midnight Market is a nice way to help you topdeck a Treasure (maybe a Potion), which building up some money. Maybe it's too powerful to both gain it to your hand and let you topdeck a Treasure...

Gnome is a simple attack card, gaining a Silver (or Potion or something else) while junking your oppenents.

Any thoughts on these? Cards that look over- or under-powered?

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
Re: Alchemy II Fan Expansion
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 07:38:30 pm »
+1

At first glance, the only card that pops out to me as concerning is Gnome. While it does have a limited gainer effect, it is a non-terminal Curser, and it costs $4 to boot. Compared to the existing non-terminal Cursers, I think it is likely over powered.

Over all, however, I really like the idea of expanding Alchemy with simpler cards.

n_sanity

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 07:50:59 pm »

At first glance, the only card that pops out to me as concerning is Gnome. While it does have a limited gainer effect, it is a non-terminal Curser, and it costs $4 to boot. Compared to the existing non-terminal Cursers, I think it is likely over powered.

Over all, however, I really like the idea of expanding Alchemy with simpler cards.

Which fix do you think is more reasonable for the Gnome?
- Make the gain effect one-time (trash it to gain for example).
- Remove the gain effect entirely.
- Make Gnome an Action card, so he's terminal.
- Make Gnome more expensive ($5 or $2P for example).

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 08:21:32 pm »

I like the gain effect as is actually. Bumping up the cost may work, but the main issue with it being non-terminal is that they can be spammed. Idol solves this by only Cursing every other play of an Idol. Making it Terminal would make it comparable to Sea Hag, which is not as enticing and interesting as it being a Night card. You could make it Curse if you gain a Copper from it, but I know self-junking is not very appealing, so perhaps another way to have the Cursing be conditional?

n_sanity

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 08:36:19 pm »
+1

I like the gain effect as is actually. Bumping up the cost may work, but the main issue with it being non-terminal is that they can be spammed. Idol solves this by only Cursing every other play of an Idol. Making it Terminal would make it comparable to Sea Hag, which is not as enticing and interesting as it being a Night card. You could make it Curse if you gain a Copper from it, but I know self-junking is not very appealing, so perhaps another way to have the Cursing be conditional?

Maybe "If this is the first time you played a Gnome this turn, each other player gains a Curse"? That way you can gain as much as you want, but you can't spam curses.

BryGuy

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +158
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 05:53:31 pm »

This is interesting considering i have a spreadsheet with ideas and an Alchemy 2nd Edition was on my list (currently priority 3). I found this post by looking for some ideas. I was reading some of Alchemy's criticism that lead me to a few ideas i have. I had contemplated buying alchemy last, but may move it up. I have been buying one set each year and am only missing Empires, Allies, Menagerie, Alchemy, and Plunder.

Ideas to address criticism:
* A heirloom that gives either 1 Potion or 1 Coin
* A Treasure that gives 1 Potion and 1 Coin.
* A Treasure that gives 2 Potion
* Duration cards: example: +1 Card & +1 Potion. At the start of your next turn +1 Action & +1 Potion.

more ideas:
* College: +1 Action; Gain a card costing up to 4 coin & 1 Potion
* Landmark that include Potion
* Cards that include 2 Potion in cost
* A Treasure & Victory & Dragon series similar to Castles. Each Dragon requires a Potion, some 2 Potions, and the biggest requiring 3 Potions.

As an aside my main criticism of Dominion (one of my favorite games) is the small amount of player interaction aside from Attacks. My priority 1 is developing a set with more interactions. Luckily i have found over 20 fan-made cards here. So i would recommend interactive cards so your games are less like speed solitary. Some fun ideas:
* 3 or more choices where you get 1 or 2 less and the other players get the unchosen choice
* You do something awesome and players may gain something like: Copper, Estate, or maybe a non-Supply card that only plays once.
*  Requesting other players to reveal something (like the card you are playing, or Copper, etc.) and if not you get something more

ttfn
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 02:00:19 pm by BryGuy »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 20 queries.