Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Mechanics Challenge Week 41: Season 4 Finale  (Read 2318 times)

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
Fan Mechanics Challenge Week 41: Season 4 Finale
« on: June 22, 2022, 07:09:13 pm »
+6

Alright. This is the Finale Challenge for Season 4. After this I believe FMC will be going on hiatus and moving briefly back to the Set Expansion Contest. I am not sure how we are going to handle the winner of this challenge, but I assume they would be the first Judge when we go back to it. For now, however, let us start the fun.

Season 4 Mechanics.
-Burn Ability mechanic
-Equipment mechanic
-Sneak mechanic
-Origins mechanic
-Trefoils mechanic
-Combine mechanic
-Snow mechanic
-Blessing/Rosary mechanic

For the Season 4 Finale, the challenge will be simple! Design a Card Shaped Thing (or set of them as needed) that incorporates two custom mechanics with at least one of them coming from Season 4. Try and limit the number of custom mechanics to two. I will try and be lenient on allowing whatever creative combinations, but the official limit is at most three custom mechanics per entry. All official mechanics and components from Dominion are allowed.

I will be judging based on my own preferences, but I will try to be as fair as I can. Factors I try to look at are simplicity of design, thought provoking design/mechanics, flavorful name/concept, and balance/playability. If changes are made to your design, I suggest making a new post with the new entry to ensure I do not miss it.

I will give a 24 hour warning a week from yesterday and then close it the following day. With this closing in the middle of the week, it may take me some time to get the judgements out, just fyi. Have fun, I can't wait to see what you all design!

Edit: Added Snow as it was in Season 4 even if it was a repeat.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 12:16:32 pm by Xen3k »

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Mechanics Challenge Week 41: Season 4 Finale
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 08:59:56 am »
+3

How come snow isnt included? i dont mind it, just curious
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

Joxeft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +103
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 09:55:45 am »
+2

Outskirts - Action - Cost: 5

+1 Card
+2 Actions
-
§:Combine 2 non-Duration action cards you have in play with each other.

Feedback is appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 12:47:48 pm by Joxeft »

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 12:14:24 pm »
+1

How come snow isnt included? i dont mind it, just curious

That is a good question. Sorry about that, completely overlooked that as it was a repeat. Will add it immediately.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 12:26:22 pm »
+2

Outskirts - Action - Cost: 4

+1 Card
+2 Actions
-
§:Combine 2 action cards you have in play with each other.

Feedback is appreciated.

This seems much too strong to cost $4. I don't know if you read my post on the strength of the combine mechanic, but one thing I pointed out is that just one aspect of the benefit of combining 2 Action cards is that it effectively is like gaining a Lost City (without the on-gain penalty) that gets played every time you play those cards. That benefit is before the benefit you get of always colliding them. Thus, if there is a "price" to combining two Action cards without restriction, it (imo) should be at least $5.

Here, Outskirts only costs $4, you get to play the two Action cards on the turn you combine them (getting that benefit), and the fact that it's a village makes it easier to get the two cards into play (e.g. if you get and Outskirts and a Smithy, you can play Outskirts then Smithy, then play the non-terminal card you draw with Smithy and combine them for a crazy-strong non-terminal draw card). Also (less importantly), the fact that it's a Burn ability means that you can combine Action cards you get into play late (e.g. with Gamble).

I think this would be on the strong side at $5. It is definitely too strong at $4.

You also have a tracking issue with Duration cards. I would suggest limiting it to non-Duration Action cards or changing "that you have in play" to "that you would discard from play this turn".
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 08:57:37 pm »
+3

Presenting: Equipment you can fully equip.

Smithing Guild
Ally - Equipment: Halberd x3, Kite Shield x3, Royal Helm x1
When you gain an Action card, you may spend a Favor to Equip a card or Combine a non-Action Equipment from your hand with the gained card.

Kite Shield
$0 Reaction - Equipment
When you trash this (except by its own text), put it into your hand.

When another player plays an Attack card, you may first reveal this from your hand, to be unaffected by it.

Halberd
$2 Reaction - Attack - Equipment
When another player gains a card with the same cost as this, you may set this aside from your hand.  If you do, then at the start of your next turn, each other player gains a Curse, then play this.

Royal Helm
$4 Reaction - Liason - Equipment
Directly after you finish playing a card, you may choose one: Play this from your hand to get +1 Favor per type that card has; or spend 2 Favors to play this from your hand three times.

Note: Royal Helm can be played in your Buy or Night phases, at the start of your turn, or even on an opponent's turn in edge cases.  The Liason type is meaningless here since it's only in the Kingdom if you already have an Ally, but it seemed wrong without it.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 03:58:00 am »
+2

An origin card that interacts with Province gaining.

Merger - Origin
During your cleanup phase, you may return this to combine two cards you would discard from play.
-
When a player gains a province, they take a merger.

Combing is VERY strong. But i wanted a card that would enable quick early combining an interesting decision, but not just be out of the game after that. so hence: merger. You can choose to thin two coppers if you desperately want, or spend it on when you have Action cards in play that could get mega strong. But if you want to get another merger, you need to gain a province, thus making the inherent "+1 Card" part of combing offsett, while making the end get closer.

I also considered making this trigger for douchies, since provinces are worth so much vp anyway. Anything cheaper would be to easy to get and use the combining with, since Combine is such a strong mechanic
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

Firestix

• Swindler
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 07:37:52 am »
+3

Edit: I've changed up my card a little bit. It's now a $3 Necropolis which gains +Card at level 1 and 2+.

My Submission:
Quote from: Industrial Town
Industrial Town ($3 Action - Level)
+2 Actions
At Level 1: +1 Card.
At Level 2+: +2 Cards.
-
Burn: +$1 per Level, then remove all of your level counters from this card's supply pile.

This uses Burn Abilities from FCMW33 and the Level mechanic from FCMW15.
  • This is a Necropolis that can turn into a Village, then a Lost City with enough investment.
  • The card ability itself does not benefit from levels beyond 2, but You can continue leveling it up for it's burn ability.
  • Once you use the burn ability, you lose all of your levels in exchange for $. If you want to burn it again, or turn it back into a Lost City, you'll have to level it up again.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 12:14:41 pm by Firestix »

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2022, 02:04:35 pm »
+3

My Submission:

Stealth Training • $4 • Event
Combine a Stealth you have in play with an Action card you would discard from play this turn. If you can't, gain a Stealth.

Stealth • $4* • Sneak
Sneak: Choose one: +2 Cards, discard a card; or replay this card (not using its Sneak ability).
(This is not in the Supply.)

My submission is Stealth Training (with the support card Stealth). It uses the Sneak mechanic (Week 35) and the Combine mechanic (Week 38). Stealth Training is an Event which allows you to give your Action cards the ability to be played as Sneak cards, by combining them with Stealth, a non-Supply card (there are 10 copies of Stealth).

Until it's combined, Stealth is a pure Sneak card that's effectively a Fugitive. While a normal Fugitive would be underpriced at $4 (if you could just buy them), the restriction that it can only be played once per turn (because it's a Sneak card) significantly mitigates that strength. Its main purpose is to help collide the Stealth with the Action card you want to "train."

The main point is to combine Stealth with an Action card, which gives a handful of benefits. At a minimum, it makes playing the card extra non-terminal, since you don't need to spend an Action (or even to have an Action) to play it. It also lets you play it outside of your Action phase, which can have some nice synergies with cards that work on the assumption they have to be played before you can lay down your Treasures (e.g. Count, Poor House, Tactician).  While this is useful in a smaller number of cases, it can be pretty strong. However, all of these bonuses are mitigated by the limitation of playing one Sneak per turn.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 04:00:49 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2022, 09:06:50 am »
+5

This submission uses mechanics from Week 33 (trial by fire) and Week 39 (Snowy Mac-Snow).
A decent drawer that quickly accumulates lots of Snow. But in the right circumstances, you can melt it all down - as drinking water for your Village, I suppose.

Glacier • $3 • Action

+3 Cards

Gain 2 Snows.
-
: +1 Card. Play any number of Snows from your hand.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 09:08:55 am by Dubdubdubdub »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2022, 06:04:08 pm »
+1

Conspiracy • Trefoil
Trefoils all have "Sneak: play this card, ignoring any instructions for +Cards"
Origin: Surreptitious

Surreptitious • Origin
When you Sneak, you may return this to replay that card as though you hadn't Snuck.

Hey look you get a one-shot throne room for one of three possible cards, and also those cards can sneak in wherever.

MochaMoko

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: MochaMoko
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2022, 03:57:10 pm »
+3

Northern Nomads
Action

+3 Cards
+1 Action

You may discard a Snow
to return Ice Settlement.
If you don't, discard 2 cards.
Origin: Ice Settlement

Ice Settlement
Origin

The first time you gain an Action
on each of your turns, gain a Snow.
When you play a Snow, + and gain a Silver.

Snow, is it really all that hyped up, why does my hometown love its snow so much. It's time to move out and do bigger and better things.
Some games it's fine to keep Ice Settlement around. Other times, it might be a bit of help early. Snow is disappearing Lucky Coins. But at some point, the Snow starts piling up. With the help of Northern Nomads, you can leave town and trudge florstward.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2022, 06:57:53 pm »
+1

OK, closing this down. I am hoping to get the results out by the end of Friday.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2022, 09:35:45 pm »
+4

Fan Mechanics Challenge Week 41: Season 4 Finale

Sorry about the delay in getting these results to you. So, without delay, the entries!

Results

Outskirts by Joxeft
Outskirts - $5
Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
---
Burn: Combine 2 non-Duration action cards you have in play with each other.
Judgement
One of the simpler entries, Outskirts gives access to Combining Actions at the cost of trashing it. I think $5 is a good cost for access to such a strong effect. I like that Outskirts design makes it a bad candidate for Combining, so that along with its cost encourages buying other Action cards earlier on. I think if there is a way to get Outskirts back with something like Lurker this can get kinda nuts, but I think that potential is part of the appeal of the Combine mechanic. Very nice.

Smithing Guild/Halberd/Kite Shield/Royal Helm by Erick648
Smithing Guild
Ally
Equipment: Halberd x3, Kite Shield x3, Royal Helm x1
When you gain an Action card, you may spend a Favor to Equip a card or Combine a non-Action Equipment from your hand with the gained card.
Kite Shield - $0
Reaction - Equipment
When you trash this (except by its own text), put it into your hand.
When another player plays an Attack card, you may first reveal this from your hand, to be unaffected by it.
Halberd - $2
Reaction - Attack - Equipment
When another player gains a card with the same cost as this, you may set this aside from your hand.  If you do, then at the start of your next turn, each other player gains a Curse, then play this.
Royal Helm - $4
Reaction - Liason - Equipment
Directly after you finish playing a card, you may choose one: Play this from your hand to get +1 Favor per type that card has; or spend 2 Favors to play this from your hand three times.
Judgement
This has a great variety of mechanical interaction. I really like this combination of Equipment and Combine that gives some structure to what Combined cards you can build and gives reasonable limits to the ability. The use of an Ally to enable both the Equipping and Combining is a great way to regulate the speed at which you can Combine cards. Kite Shield and Halberd are good compliments to each other, with Kite Shield being slightly more appealing to me just because of the Fortress effect it grants cards. Royal Helm is an interesting inclusion; it both solves the Importer Favor limit issue and allows players to go full bore into using Smithing Guild to its fullest, faster. The Kings Court effect on it is a good sink for Favors, and there only being one makes you really careful on choosing what to Combine with it. Great use of these mechanics in a very novel and clever way.

Merger by fika monster
Merger
Origin
During your cleanup phase, you may return this to combine two cards you would discard from play.
---
When a player gains a province, they take a merger.
Judgement
Merger is a very clean design. I like that the Combine effect is mostly unrestricted, but limited by the number of Provinces in the game. As worded, it does seem like a player would be able to take more than one Merger. I am not sure if that is intended or not. If the intention was to only allow one Merger per player max at any given time, perhaps a double sided Origin would be more appropriate, where one side is when active and the other side requiring a Province gain to flip it over. Never the less, this is a really solid and simple design. I really do like it.

Industrial Town by Firestix
Industrial Town - $3
Action - Level
+2 Actions
At Level 1: +1 Card.
At Level 2+: +2 Cards.
---
Burn: +$1 per Level, then remove all of your level counters from this card's supply pile.
Judgement
This is a great little build a village. I like the idea if investing into something you are gonna burn later on a mega turn, or just to get a bit more cash to make an early purchase. I think $3 is the right price for this, as making it cheaper may make leveling it too easy. I do wonder if just buying a bunch of these and then making them Lost Cities may be the “correct” course of action though. I would really like to try this out at some point and see if that is what people do with it more often than not. Good design!

Stealth Training/Stealth by emtzalex
Stealth Training - $4
Event
Combine a Stealth you have in play with an Action card you would discard from play this turn. If you can't, gain a Stealth.
Stealth - $4*
Sneak
Sneak: Choose one: +2 Cards, discard a card; or replay this card (not using its Sneak ability).
(This is not in the Supply.)
Judgement
I really like Stealth as a normal Kingdom version of Fugitive, and the use of the Event to both give access to Stealth and Combine it with an Action is great. The limit of 10 Stealth is smart. Sneak being limited to only once a turn is a natural limiter to the power of the combined cards you make. A really clean and interesting design that makes good use of both mechanics.

Glacier by Dubdubdubdub
Glacier - $3
Action
+3 Cards
Gain 2 Snows.
---
: +1 Card. Play any number of Snows from your hand.
Judgement
Glacier is a great design for a cheap Smithy. Getting 2 Snow seems like too much for drawing 3 cards, but the Burn ability makes up for it. This design is really fascinating for me, because gaining all that Snow will encourage you to use the Burn ability if you find yourself with enough Snow in hand. I like that this card is a solution to its own draw back, and that the benefits of using it for the draw 3 lessens the more you use it. A great design.

Conspiracy/Surreptitious by spineflu
Conspiracy
Trefoil
Trefoils all have "Sneak: play this card, ignoring any instructions for +Cards"
Origin: Surreptitious
Surreptitious
Origin
When you Sneak, you may return this to replay that card as though you hadn't Snuck.
Judgement
Conspiracy is a nifty Trefoil that gives Sneak to 3 random Actions in the Kingdom. I like that it limits the Sneak to not drawing cards, but I do think there will be quire a few times when a card does not benefit from Sneak. Balancing that out, however, is Surreptitious. A nice one shot Origin that ignores the card draw limit to a Trefoil that you Sneak into play. A really cool, simple design that does not overly complicate the game.

Northern Nomads/Ice Settlement by MochaMoko
Northern Nomads - $5
 Action
+3 Cards
+1 Action
You may discard a Snow
to return Ice Settlement.
If you don't, discard 2 cards.
Origin: Ice Settlement
Ice Settlement
Origin
The first time you gain an Action
on each of your turns, gain a Snow.
When you play a Snow, + and gain a Silver.
Judgement
I really like Forum, so Northern Nomads is great already! The interesting stuff happens with Ice Settlement which is a cool game augmenting Origin. As said in the submission post, buying Actions gets you up to one Snow a turn, which acts as a vanishing Lucky coin as long as you still have the Origin. This Origin sets players up on a path to accelerate their deck nicely with Silver just by buying Actions. I like the use of Northern Nomads as a way to get rid of your Ice Settlement and stop the flood of Silver. I really like Heirlooms, and this use of the Origin mechanic has a similar feel, which is very nice. Great design.

I absolutely love every entry submitted. I give props to everyone for the designs made. Choosing the winner was tough. Thank you for participating!

Runner-Up
Smithing Guild (w/ Kite Shield, Halberd, & Royal Helm) by Erick648
Glacier by Dubdubdubdub
Northern Nomads (w/ Ice Settlement) by MochaMoko

Winner
Stealth Training (w/ Stealth) by emtzalex

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2022, 01:17:57 am »
+4

Winner
Stealth Training (w/ Stealth) by emtzalex

Thanks Xen3k. I think this contest is going to go on a brief hiatus to restart the Set Expansion Contest.
he/him/his

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2022, 01:43:45 pm »
+2

Shall I host the next set contest in the set contest thread? I remember winning the promo contest and not being able to create the next contest due to someone else taking over and hosting the first iteration of the fan mechanic contest.
Bottom text

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2022, 01:45:30 pm »
+4

Shall I host the next set contest in the set contest thread? I remember winning the promo contest and not being able to create the next contest due to someone else taking over and hosting the first iteration of the fan mechanic contest.

I think that's right. You won the last Set Expansion contest you so should host the next. I'll host the next Fan Mechanic Contest after it restarts. Whoever wins for Allies can host the next set expansion.
he/him/his

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2022, 02:04:30 pm »
+1

This sounds like a plan! I might only host it tomorrow so that people are out of their week-ends. Usually, this forum gets less traffic during the week-end.
Bottom text

Joxeft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +103
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2022, 03:38:28 pm »

Are we going to do redo's on second editions? If so maybe the winner of allies could host the first after we go back to the Fan Mechanics Contest for a while.

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2022, 04:09:33 pm »
+1

As discussed here, is it time to launch week 42 soon? Looking forward to get back into it!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.