Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #155: Warlord's bane  (Read 5107 times)

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #155: Warlord's bane
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2022, 11:57:14 am »

Alley - Action - Cost: 5

+1 Card
When you discard this from play set it aside.
-
When you gain this set it aside. While this is set aside you may play it as if it were in your hand.

Feedback is appreciated.

Interesting idea, but I think this needs +2 Cards to be worth it. As it is now, it’s like a Moat you always have at your disposal. Bump that up to a Smithy, and $5 is probably right.

Joxeft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +103
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2022, 12:05:02 pm »
+1

+1 Card
-
When you gain this set it aside. While this is set aside you may play it as if it were in your hand.

Feedback is appreciated.

Interesting idea, but I think this needs +2 Cards to be worth it. As it is now, it’s like a Moat you always have at your disposal. Bump that up to a Smithy, and $5 is probably right.

The problem is with big money strategies. Smithy big money already gets 4 provinces in about 14 turns. It would be helped by a moat you always have at your disposal. It also doesn't clog with other actions! If this was like a Smithy, I'm afraid big money strategies might cause problems. Even now, it's an action-restricted hireling!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 12:06:14 pm by Joxeft »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2022, 12:45:36 pm »
+2

+1 Card
-

My previous submission:

Feedback is appreciated.

Normally, "when you discard this from play" effects also go under a horizontal line. My suggestion for wording:
+1 Card
-
When you gain this or discard this from play, set it aside. While set aside, you may play this as if it were in your hand.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2022, 06:23:11 am »
+2

Fast Track
Action - Reaction
$5

+1 Card
+1 Action
$1
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
When you gain an Action or Treasure card you may reveal and discard this from your hand to play the gained card.

- Not too happy with the wording for the reaction part. I tried to base it on Diplomat which also has a reveal and discard clause. I was worried though that if I copied the wording structure from Diplomat "then discard it" might not be clear if it means this card or the gained card.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2022, 08:45:39 am »
+6

A lab variant! Like Stash, it has a differently colored back.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 08:46:56 am by grrgrrgrr »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2022, 01:38:28 pm »
+1

+1 Card
-

My previous submission:

Feedback is appreciated.

Normally, "when you discard this from play" effects also go under a horizontal line. My suggestion for wording:
+1 Card
-
When you gain this or discard this from play, set it aside. While set aside, you may play this as if it were in your hand.

I presume the intention is for this to cost an Action to play from set-aside (otherwise it is strictly better than Lab at the same price, and mostly [if not strictly] better than Hireling for $1 less). If so, I'm not sure adding "as if it were in your hand" is clear enough to distinguish it from the general rule that when something says "you may play..." an Action card, doing so doesn't cost an Action. That could probably be resolved in an FAQ, but you would at least need that.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2022, 09:29:11 pm »

I don't think this needs a differently colored back, because you're not actually putting it in your deck when you're done shuffling.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2022, 09:54:01 pm »

I don't think this needs a differently colored back, because you're not actually putting it in your deck when you're done shuffling.

It does need a different back, since there'd be no way to enforce playing it being mandatory otherwise.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2022, 02:22:37 pm »
+3

Folly
$1 Action

+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand.
----
In games using this, directly after you finish playing an Action card from your hand, you may gain a Folly, then play it.
FAQ:
  • If you gain a Folly using the below-the-line effect, you then play it from your discard pile, moving it into play. This is not playing it from your hand, so you do not get to do the below-the-line effect again.
  • If something causes the Folly to move when you gain it (eg you topdeck it or trash it with a Watchtower), then the instruction to play the Folly will fail.

In the same vein as Duchess, and company for Poor House at $1.
Yes, this is crazily good with Way of the Horse, but otherwise, Folly might be a good idea at the time you get it, but not so good once you have it in your deck.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2022, 05:02:07 pm »

Updated with the new version

Sorry for the awkward image crop.

Anyway, it's a workshop variant. The only issue I can think of would be someone could choose to infiniteley play Shoppers over and over, usually [always?] uselessly, once you get a second one in play.  Any wording suggestions that fix this without adding much text? I thought about turning them sideways once they've been played by a shopper, but it sounded awkward. "Replay a Shopper that hasn't been replayed this turn" sounds okay, but it's still kinda long, and it sounds potentially hard to track if you have a bunch of these in play.

Currently reworking the idea a bit
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 04:52:46 pm by Chappy7 »

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2022, 05:18:39 pm »
+3

The only issue I can think of would be someone could choose to infiniteley play Shoppers over and over, usually [always?] uselessly, once you get a second one in play.  Any wording suggestions that fix this without adding much text? I thought about turning them sideways once they've been played by a shopper, but it sounded awkward. "Replay a Shopper that hasn't been replayed this turn" sounds okay, but it's still kinda long, and it sounds potentially hard to track if you have a bunch of these in play.
Playing them infinitely isn't useless if you have adventures tokens on them, so you probably do need a way to prevent that.
I think the simplest way would be to reword the whole card: "If you have another Shopper in play, gain a card costing up to $5. Otherwise, gain a card costing up to $4." But sadly that would no longer meet the rules of this contest!

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2022, 05:29:48 pm »
+2

The only issue I can think of would be someone could choose to infiniteley play Shoppers over and over, usually [always?] uselessly, once you get a second one in play.  Any wording suggestions that fix this without adding much text? I thought about turning them sideways once they've been played by a shopper, but it sounded awkward. "Replay a Shopper that hasn't been replayed this turn" sounds okay, but it's still kinda long, and it sounds potentially hard to track if you have a bunch of these in play.
Playing them infinitely isn't useless if you have adventures tokens on them, so you probably do need a way to prevent that.
I think the simplest way would be to reword the whole card: "If you have another Shopper in play, gain a card costing up to $5. Otherwise, gain a card costing up to $4." But sadly that would no longer meet the rules of this contest!

Dominion syntax doesn't refer to cards in "your play area" but rather to cards "you have in play" (see Scepter). You could use the turning-over mechanic from Necromancer, which would look something like:

or replay a different, face up, Shopper you have in play, turning it face down until Clean-up.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2022, 05:48:26 pm »

Dominion syntax doesn't refer to cards in "your play area" but rather to cards "you have in play" (see Scepter). You could use the turning-over mechanic from Necromancer, which would look something like:

or replay a different, face up, Shopper you have in play, turning it face down until Clean-up.

Thanks for the ideas and the in play tip. 

I could definitely use the Necro rule.  Or I suppose I could do it like Encampment and "set it aside"

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2022, 06:16:10 pm »
+2

Okay this should prevent the infinite play issue, which as pointed out, would cause problems with adventure tokens (and probably other crazy situations)

It's a bit different as it can play any card from in play, as long as it doesn't cost more than $4.  Warlord extra hates this card now.  The below the line ability can also be triggered by playing it from the discard or trash or wherever else now.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 04:51:46 pm by Chappy7 »

BBobb

• Moneylender
  • My brother says thief is amazing.
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2022, 03:05:02 am »

Okay this should prevent the infinite play issue, which as pointed out, would cause problems with adventure tokens (and probably other crazy situations)

It's a bit different as it can play any card from in play, as long as it doesn't cost more than $4.  Warlord extra hates this card now.  The below the line ability can also be triggered by playing it from the discard or trash or wherever else now.
Also needs the action type on bottom

Galaxi

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: Galaxi
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2022, 10:34:54 am »
+6

Jonasssss

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonasssss
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2022, 11:57:25 am »
+2

Kleptocrat - Action - $5
Choose one: Exile an Action card from your hand and +1 Action; or play an Action or Treasure you have in Exile (putting it into play
A lab Variant which can play from Exile
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 05:10:00 pm by Jonasssss »

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2022, 02:21:43 pm »
+6

Town Hall

Action ($6)

+1 Card
+1 Action
Look through your discard pile. You may play an Action or Treasure from it. If you don't, +1 Card.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2022, 02:45:11 pm »

24 hour warning!
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

J410

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: J410
  • Smile! =J
  • Respect: +73
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2022, 06:42:23 am »
+3

Tales is an Action split pile with four cards. Like all split piles in Allies, the pile starts with four copies of each card sorted by cost.

There is an old tale of Saint George and the Dragon, where the dragon demanded the city to send two sheep every day so he could eat. When the city ran out of sheep, the dragon demanded human tribute. When the princess was eventually chosen to be offered, Saint George stood up and defeated the dragon.
All images were generated by craiyon (dall-e mini).

Sheep: $3 Treasure - Victory - Tale: Worth $1 per Victory card you have in play (including this). You may rotate the Tales. Worth 1 VP
Princess: $4 Action - Victory - Tale: A magpie that doesn't gain itself but is worth 1 VP instead.
Saint George: $5 Action - Tale: +3 Cards. You may play a Tale from your hand. When you trash this, play it.
Dragon: $6 Action - Tale: You may topdeck a card, then discard discard any number for +$1 per card and trash the rest. Trashing a Tale grants an extra +$3.

With all four cards in hand, play a Dragon, topdecking Princess, discarding Sheep and trashing (and playing) Saint George. Then play the princess you just drew hoping to find Sheep with it (which is worth more because you just played Princess). At this point you'll likely have $7 and 2-3 cards in hand.

Saint George is our hero, he made this set suitable for this contest.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 04:16:47 pm by J410 »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2022, 04:50:28 pm »
+2

Submissions are now no longer accepted.

You can expect the judging by Sunday.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2022, 05:40:56 pm »
+3

Not a submission:

Pied Piper • $4 • Action
+2 Cards
You may play an Action or Treasure card from Exile. If you didn't, Exile your hand.

I came up with another card, but stuck with my original submission (which I think has a less complex/gonzo design). Pied Piper is a usually-terminal draw card and a strong but unpredictable Exiler. Unless you have another way to put cards into Exile, on the first play PP will end up Exiling you hand. If it's early, that's probably very good, getting 6 Coppers/Estates out of your deck.

The Coppers will likely come back on subsequent plays of PP, and when you run out of them you may find yourself Exiling some much better cards. PP will be able to get them back, one at a time, and, to the extent they are Actions (or CotR), they make PP itself non-terminal.

I honestly can't decide if this is insanely strong or just chaotic. Assuming you open PP/Silver and get PP on turn 3 or 4, the first play will Exile 2-6 Coppers (with the rest either being Estates or the Silver). That's 3-6 plays of PP before you have to Exile again (assuming no other source of Exiling), with the opportunity to do so earlier if you end up with mostly/all junk (or all junk and a single Action card, which you can then chain the next time you get PP).

I'd be interested to know people's thoughts.
he/him/his

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2022, 05:58:50 pm »
+1

I'd be interested to know people's thoughts.
I haven't thought in depth about it, but my guess is it would be very strong.
Would it be better to make playing an Action/Treasure from Exile compulsory whenever it's possible?

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2022, 06:22:53 pm »
+2

Tales is an Action split pile with four cards. Like all split piles in Allies, the pile starts with four copies of each card sorted by cost.

There is an old tale of Saint George and the Dragon, where the dragon demanded the city to send two sheep every day so he could eat. When the city ran out of sheep, the dragon demanded human tribute. When the princess was eventually chosen to be offered, Saint George stood up and defeated the dragon.

Sheep: $3 Treasure - Victory - Tale: Worth $1 per Victory card you have in play (including this). You may rotate the Tales. Worth 1 VP
Princess: $4 Action - Victory - Tale: A magpie that doesn't gain itself but is worth 1 VP instead.
Saint George: $5 Action - Tale: +3 Cards. You may play a Tale from your hand. When you trash this, play it.
Dragon: $6 Action - Tale: You may topdeck a card, then discard discard any number for +$1 per card and trash the rest. Trashing a Tale grants an extra +$3.
I like the first three cards here, but dragon seems really weak for $6 bottom card of a split pile. You gave an example of a play that works out well with it, but when you can't do that (or might be able to do it only once), then it probably isn't worth the $6. One easy (but perhaps not very thematic) fix would be to put a few victory points on it to make it fit better (mechanically) with the first two cards. By the time you've gotten to the bottom of a split pile, you've probably done most of your trashing already if there's any other decent trashing on the board.

J410

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: J410
  • Smile! =J
  • Respect: +73
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2022, 03:53:54 pm »
+1

I like the first three cards here, but dragon seems really weak for $6 bottom card of a split pile. You gave an example of a play that works out well with it, but when you can't do that (or might be able to do it only once), then it probably isn't worth the $6. One easy (but perhaps not very thematic) fix would be to put a few victory points on it to make it fit better (mechanically) with the first two cards. By the time you've gotten to the bottom of a split pile, you've probably done most of your trashing already if there's any other decent trashing on the board.
I had the dragon and st George switched around initially and hoped extra coin for trashing Tales would make dragon worth $6. Turns out it is probably not. Perhaps the better option is to give a VP for trashing a Tale (in addition to virtual coin) or +2 Cards on top (with mandatory topdeck). Too late for the competition but I'll keep my digital copy updated.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 22 queries.