Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Am I the only copper strategist? Probably.  (Read 4270 times)

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
Re: Am I the only copper strategist? Probably.
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2022, 07:19:26 pm »

Thanks awaculus for clarifying that. Although I’m still not sure on how all that works. I just wished it was more like leveling up in a video game, where you can lose your level.  So if I’m 0.44 what’s the highest you can go and the Lowest you can go.

It is a pretty complicated system and I don't understand the details either, but the big picture is easy enough to understand. The point is to measure your skill level relative to the average player, so being able to lose points when you lose games necessarily has to be a part of it, otherwise people who play the most would have the most points even if they're not the best players.
If you go to the online client and go to the Leaderboard tab, there are a couple of buttons in the upper right. "Implementation" goes to a Shuffle IT forum post and "Glicko-2" goes to a PDF; I figure those are where you go if you want to learn more about how the system actually works.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2022, 08:19:19 pm »
+2

Rats isn’t a trasher? Huh? Now your confusing me? When you play rats, you must trash a card from your hand. How is a card that trashes cards not a trasher?

rats is a remodel, not a trasher.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2022, 10:12:19 pm »
+3

It would be great if copper strategies could be competitive. It seems like Donald X. tried to make copper more valuable in the early expansions, with cards like Coppersmith, Counting House and Apothecary, but later gave up on it. That probably means that copper strategies do not work.

Fountain encourages you to keep all your starting copper and acquire 3 more (one single play of Beggar). If you do, it's worth a Dominate, or 2 Provinces and a Duchy. Or to put it another way, each of those additional coppers is worth nearly a Province, for $0, and it helps your economy (more than a Province), and all it asks is you keep your starting Copper. I think that goes to show how much you need to do to make not trashing Copper worth it
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 10:13:22 pm by NoMoreFun »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2022, 10:26:12 pm »
+11

What's the best way to say this? A Dominion player who chooses not to trash and calls themselves a "Copper Strategist" is like a Chess player who chooses not to promote their pawns and calls themselves a "Pawn Strategist." They might be able to win some games, but they're missing an enormous strategic aspect of the game. You can play however you like, but the comparison is still worth noting.

For me personally, the occasional Copper game can be fun, but if not getting rid of your starting cards was a good strategy a lot of the time, the game would be a lot more boring.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2022, 02:36:49 am »
+8

Rats isn’t a trasher? Huh? Now your confusing me? When you play rats, you must trash a card from your hand. How is a card that trashes cards not a trasher?
rats is a remodel, not a trasher.
not this again.. ;)

My opponent has more loot than me

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2022, 05:05:41 am »
+1

Wow that’s quite the debate over one card. Wether it’s a trasher or a remodel, it’s a card that trashes cards. So for now on I’ll just call it a card that trashes cards. So I just called it a trasher because the other title is a little long.

Oyvind

• Golem
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2022, 05:36:03 am »

Wow that’s quite the debate over one card. Wether it’s a trasher or a remodel, it’s a card that trashes cards. So for now on I’ll just call it a card that trashes cards. So I just called it a trasher because the other title is a little long.

The thing is that you trash a card AND receive a card (unless the Rats pile is empty, in which case you’re probably in a world of hurt). That’s what a remodel variant does. A trasher reduced the number of cards you «own». Rats doesn’t do that.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3191
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2022, 07:39:12 am »

did this thread actually exist or is the tweet just making it up? I also feel like it's pretty trivial that rats is a remodeler -- until the pile runs out, at which point it becomes a trasher.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2022, 07:57:30 am »

I also feel like it's pretty trivial that rats is a remodeler -- until the pile runs out, at which point it becomes a trasher.

By default, I would say that remodelers are trashers. Normal Remodel variants let you get rid of a bad card without having to gain another bad card.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2022, 09:01:04 am »

did this thread actually exist or is the tweet just making it up? I also feel like it's pretty trivial that rats is a remodeler -- until the pile runs out, at which point it becomes a trasher.
It is hard to take it seriously when the date is about a year before Dark Ages was released.
Maybe it is referring to some other game with Rats in?

Imrahil3

• Bishop
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2022, 09:08:59 am »
+1

I’ve spent a lot of time trying to clinically classify each Dominion card and there’s a ton of nuance to the word “trash” that can basically only be resolved by deciding beforehand what you want it to mean. Whatever a trasher is, Chapel definitely has to be one, right? But Bandit trashes cards, but you can’t use it on yourself. Remodel trashes cards but you still end up with the same number of cards in your deck. Trader trashes cards but you end up with more cards than before you played it! Which of these is a “trasher” and which is not?

I generally use the terms “thinner” to refer to cards that reduce your deck size and “remodeler” to refer to cards that trash cards but don’t reduce deck size. I save the word “trasher” for trashing attacks like Knights. When I’m being extra-detailed I add “trash-for-benefit” which, for the sake of usefulness, excludes remodelers, and this refers to cards like Moneylender - even though Chapel trashing four coppers out of your deck is technically a benefit.

I’d either call Rats a remodeler or a trash-for-benefit, as it just isn’t helpful enough to call it a “trasher.”

Feel free to disagree, but if anyone has a different classification I’d like to see how you navigated having four different types of cards go by the same moniker.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2022, 09:30:05 am »
+2

It is hard to take it seriously when the date is about a year before Dark Ages was released.

It’s a meme template. Here’s the original:

https://mobile.twitter.com/dril/status/107911000199671808?lang=en

That being said, the rats a remodel variant is my favorite dominion meme it’s so good.

vidicate

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: vidicate
  • Something clever goes here
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2022, 02:05:51 pm »

It’s a meme template. Here’s the original:

https://mobile.twitter.com/dril/status/107911000199671808?lang=en

That being said, the rats a remodel variant is my favorite dominion meme it’s so good.

Thank you, @Gherald for the laugh. Not just the meme, but the people who haven’t seen it before. I was talking to my screen, “oh no. Guys, it’s not a real Tweet.”  :-[ ;D
WHERE ARE THE TURTLES?!!! …WHERE ARE THEY?!
-----
Felix: Let's see if you guys are as good as they say.
Grif: Prepare to be sorely disappointed.
-----
Who da man? I da man. I always suspected. -Dr. House

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2022, 05:17:45 pm »

I think the "Wrong! Rats isn't a trasher!" attitude comes from the fact that when new players first see it they often don't realize what it's doing. If somebody on here called Remodel a trasher, I don't think people would immediately pounce with "Wrong! Remodel isn't a trasher!"

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2022, 05:41:38 pm »

I think the "Wrong! Rats isn't a trasher!" attitude comes from the fact that when new players first see it they often don't realize what it's doing. If somebody on here called Remodel a trasher, I don't think people would immediately pounce with "Wrong! Remodel isn't a trasher!"

For me, it comes from the fact that when you want a trasher for your deck, Remodel does the job (at least partially) but Rats doesn't.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2022, 05:51:25 am »
+1

Rats isn't trash-for-benefit, either (the "benefit" is completely independent of what card you actually trash), but it's a trash-for-benefit enabler.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 21 queries.