Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Finding a table  (Read 555 times)

beri

• Bishop
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
Finding a table
« on: June 03, 2022, 02:34:44 am »

I’ve played a lot against AIs and since yesterday I’ve been trying to play with humans. And I don’t quite get a few things.

"Games tab" – when I click "search", I see the nicknames of multiple users appear and disappear in the "queue" and it takes several minutes until I get matched… or give up trying. I’ve tried extending my level and rating tolerances to increase my chances, to no avail. How does this work exactly?

"Tables" tab – whenever I join a table, it doesn’t start because the player doesn’t see/hear I’ve joined. Sending messages in the chat doesn’t help either. Is there a way to make this work better? I’d suggest adding sounds and/or displaying the most recent tables at the top, i.e. those where players are still on their pre-game screen, waiting for someone to join.
Also, it’d be quite helpful to see players’ ratings in this tab, so you don’t get matched with someone who will crush you.

All of this has me quite frustrated that it takes so long to find a game.

So is it just me or does the matchmaking system(s) not work very well?
Thanks for your answers.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Finding a table
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 07:11:34 am »
+1

Generally it's probably a better idea to use automatch than to join random people's tables — the people with tables are probably either waiting for a specific person or afk after playing a bunch of games.

Besides your card pool and rating tolerance, all the other settings affect how fast you can get matched too. You can enable both options if you don't care which you're getting. Wait for expansions obviously makes the wait longer, on the other hand, subscribing to expansions makes it shorter because then you will be getting matched against everyone in the queue who's waiting for expansions. Your own rating also makes a difference, with a higher rating you'll probably be within other people's ranges more often (but unfortunately there is no way to increase it besides finding rated matches with humans).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a table
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 12:16:35 pm »
+1

Posting a screenshot of the matching tab might help. If you are new to this, you might inadvertantly have changed some values trying to find a better match, but in reality made it worse! Here is mine, maybe you can already see something that is way off for you:

Generally, rated games are more thought after (but I rarely play using automatch).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.