Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Preplay is amazing & makes the game really fast, but needs reaction confirmation  (Read 1370 times)

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile

If you don't already know (and are wondering how some people play so quickly as your turn ends). you can now set up preplay in your settings.  It allows you to pick the order of cards that you will need to play (though it will break the chain to confirm discards/trashes/exiles etc)

The only real problem comes in when you have a preplay set, and then they play a card that requires a reaction (pick a card for contraband, don't reveal 1 from your hand for archer, pick a card for warchest etc) and if you have a preplay card already picked it will reveal that instead.  It leads to a lot of undos, and then people griping >:( (like I had a duchess set to play and then the guy revealed war chest but it instead blocked them from gaining a duchess on their war chest, like i'd ban duchess when there are 4-5 cost cards on the board  :P then they get mad when i ban upgrade (the fairly obvious ban since it was t5) since that was the card they had already picked as soon as duchess was banned.  I told him if he really cared i'd pick a diff card and he still rage quit.  :o

A simple confirmation a la the discard/trash/exile function would eliminate this.  8)

all in all preplay is awesome though, just needs a lil tweak.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 06:32:35 pm by Honkeyfresh »
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
+3

There is a subforum to talk about Dominion Online at ShuffleIt, and they have their own forums.

Anyway during opponents turns cards like War Chest should ignore any pre-played cards from your hand; only ones selected in the kingdom should be used for that.

Hexes should probably ignore pre-plays completely, they're too random for anything pre-played to be meaningful; and Sorceror should either ignore pre-played actions from your hand or ignore anything in your hand.
My opponent has more loot than me

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile

There is a subforum to talk about Dominion Online at ShuffleIt, and they have their own forums.

Anyway during opponents turns cards like War Chest should ignore any pre-played cards from your hand; only ones selected in the kingdom should be used for that.

Hexes should probably ignore pre-plays completely, they're too random for anything pre-played to be meaningful; and Sorceror should either ignore pre-played actions from your hand or ignore anything in your hand.
I mean it is Dominion general Discussion.  I post em here hoping that the site disigners see them.  I imagine this forum gets more eyes on it that the ShIt forum... but i've only been over a few times too...

I can attest that a preplayed duchess went into preplay in response to a warchest. 

I imagine it would be just easier to add a confirmation to all reactions than to subdivide which ones would need it though, but I'm not a web designer so...
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile

Confirmations defeat the purpose of preplay; if there's a situation that makes you think there should be a confirmation then the preplay should just have no effect if it can't be resolved more intelligently (based on whether the preplay was in hand, primarily, and maybe on whether it's an action in hand if you really wanted to make it be able to proc for hex attacks)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 09:48:16 pm by Gherald »
My opponent has more loot than me

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +640
    • View Profile
+1

Ah, for the day when I can just click "start game" and preplay does the rest for me...

Hks

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: HyenHks
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
+2

I mean it is Dominion general Discussion.  I post em here hoping that the site disigners see them.  I imagine this forum gets more eyes on it that the ShIt forum... but i've only been over a few times too...

I can attest that a preplayed duchess went into preplay in response to a warchest. 

I imagine it would be just easier to add a confirmation to all reactions than to subdivide which ones would need it though, but I'm not a web designer so...
Gherald mentioned it being a subforum, so he's probably thinking of Dominion Online at Shuffle iT, child board of where you posted this.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile

Confirmations defeat the purpose of preplay; if there's a situation that makes you think there should be a confirmation then the preplay should just have no effect if it can't be resolved more intelligently (based on whether the preplay was in hand, primarily, and maybe on whether it's an action in hand if you really wanted to make it be able to proc for hex attacks)

But the confirmation has a great effect here.  As is you essentially just can't use preplay in a game with a reaction card (or risk a wild reaction if the reaction can somehow match a card you preplayed.

That seems a lot worse than just asking for the same confirmation that is already present on your own turn. 

And it doesnt defeat the purpose of preplay.  You preplay your hand and or buys etc based on the cards you currently have.  That a preplay based on my hand causes a reaction based on their.  The existence of a reaction card in the deck essentially precludes :safely" using preplay and that is pretty dumb when such an easy fix is available.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile

Ah, for the day when I can just click "start game" and preplay does the rest for me...

I too long for the days of the abacus.  And phones?  Why use those.  If you can't yell far enough just walk closer to person you want to talk to!

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile

Here is a game where this messed up and even banned a card that Warchest not only would never want, but can't even gain as BV costs 6.  Later in this same game I was sure he was playing a  Bishop and so i preset the curse for trashing thinking that even if he doesnt trash i can just play my actins as the preplay wont preplay a coin or curse on its own if not in the buy phase.  .... and then War chest banned curse  ;D

At a BARE minimum it should only ban gainable cards like between 2 and 5 b/c unless an EXTREME EXTREME edge case no one is EVER going to warchest gain a curse. I guess in Tower or a 3-pile situation but in those edge cases not using preplay would be the better option.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 03:06:03 pm by Honkeyfresh »

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile

Is there any reason not to do this?  Still a problem for cards like War Chest & Barbarian. It can't be that hard to do as it is the same confirmation that occurs during a masquerade. 

Plus why not limit war chest to ban the cards that a war chest can conceivably gain? Like you can warchest a colony.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 20 queries.