Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Fan Mechanics week 39: Snowy Mac-snow  (Read 3550 times)

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
Fan Mechanics week 39: Snowy Mac-snow
« on: June 01, 2022, 03:56:39 pm »
+5

Im recycling an Old WDC entry i judged some time ago: A concept Called...
SNOW

This weeks challenge: Design a card of any sort that uses Snow in some way, and preferably uses a previous Fan Mechanic that has been featured in the past.

There are 30 Snows, +10 per player, in a kingdom.

Deadline is 2022 8th June. Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 02:42:07 am by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Mechanics week 39: Snowy Mac-snow
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 04:25:15 pm »
+4

For everyone's reference, Snow was used in WDC 103.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 05:12:20 pm »
+2

This weeks challenge: Design a card of any sort that uses Snow in some way, and uses a previous Fan Mechanic that has been featured in the past.
So a Fan Mechanic from week 1-38 + Snow?
If so, I guess that is different enough from WDC 103.

Joxeft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +103
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 05:23:52 pm »
+3

Frozen City - Action - Cost: 4

+1 Card
+1 Action
Name a card, then reveal the top card of your deck and put it in your hand. If you did not name it, gain a Snow.

Frozen City is the same as my card herding village that's here but it has +1 Card and gain a snow instead of +1 Action.

Feedback is appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 07:55:01 am by Joxeft »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 05:26:11 pm »
+3

Blizzard • $5 • Action - Attack - Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn, +1 Card per Blizzard in play (anywhere).

On each other player's turn until then, when they play a card that gives them +Actions, they gain a Snow.
-
🔥: Put your deck into your discard pile and trash any number of Action cards from it. +$1 per card trashed this way.

I revisited my entry from WDC 103. It was a little too narrow. I made it a bit more broad, but it seemed like it might bury players, especially in multiplayer. So I made that a feature rather than a bug. It's a little uh.... i believe the discord refers to it as :scroll:, but i think it's fine. none of it is confusing, just a bit longwinded.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 05:37:28 pm by spineflu »

Joxeft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 05:35:25 pm »

My submission has been updated.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 06:03:22 pm »
+4

Ski Resort
Action - $3
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
Gain a Snow and an Idle Hands

No longer my entry
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 11:42:40 pm by NoMoreFun »

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2022, 02:47:06 am »

Added note: You dont strictly have to have another fan mechanic, but its strongly encouraged in order to make unique cards

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2022, 04:40:27 am »
+2

+1 Card
+1 Action
Name a card, then reveal the top card of your deck. If you named it, put it into your hand. Otherwise +1 Action.

Frozen City is the same as my card herding village that's here but it has +1 Card and gain a snow instead of +1 Action.

Feedback is appreciated.
It's confusing that in one case, it's "put the card into your hand" and in the other "+1 Card", when the effect is almost always the same. I would suggest
Name a card, then reveal the top card of your deck and put it in your hand. If you did not name it, gain a Snow.
Also the text you have in your quote is wrong.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Joxeft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2022, 07:59:00 am »

Thanks I fixed the wording and the quote.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2022, 08:18:23 am »
+3

Santa's Workshop
$4 Action

Gain a non-Victory card.
For each $1 it costs more than $4, gain a Snow.
For each $1 it costs less than $4, gain a Horse.

Gaining some Overlords with this...

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2022, 08:08:49 pm »
+3

Ice Fisher - $4
Action
Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.
Gain up to 4 Snow. Reveal that many cards from the top of the Fish pile, gain up to 2 of them, then return the rest to the bottom of the Fish pile in any order.

A simple draw-to Action that allows you to gain Fish at the cost of also gaining Snow. Uses the Fish Pile mechanic. Draw-to will mitigate the penalty Snow incurs as well as lets you keep the Fish in your deck as non-terminal sources of Coffers that sets up Ice Fisher to draw more cards. It still will need Village support, but one of the Fish available in the Fish pile can get you Villagers, so there's that. Feedback is appreciated.

Edit: I am thinking that Collection from Prosperity 2nd Edition may make this busted, but I am not sure how to prevent that... Never mind me, that only is an issue if you can get it into play during the Action phase.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 08:59:12 pm by Xen3k »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2022, 10:51:05 pm »
+5

Snow Imp
Action - $4
+2 Cards
Reveal the top card of your deck. If it's an Action card, play it, otherwise gain a Snow.

beri

• Bishop
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2022, 04:33:55 am »
+3

Not well-enough acquainted with previous fan mechanics, sorry.
(is there a way to post a picture other than by hosting it on an external website?)

Snow sculptor
Action - $4
Trash a card from your hand. If it is a Snow, gain a card costing up to $3 more than it to your hand.
Otherwise, gain a card costing up to $1 more than it.
Gain a Snow to your hand.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 08:45:49 pm by beri »

Firestix

• Swindler
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2022, 09:21:48 am »
+7

My Submission

Quote from: Ranch
Ranch ($4 Action - Season)
+3 Cards
+1 Action

In Spring: Discard 3 cards.
In Summer: If you have 8 or more cards in your hand, trash this.
In Autumn: Each other player draws a card.
In Winter: Gain 2 Snow.

This uses the Seasons mechanic from FCMW14 using the 12 Turn variant suggested by X-tra and The Alchemist.
  • A powerful draw card with +1 Action with a downside that changes each season.
  • In spring, it's a Warehouse that costs $1 more.
  • In summer, you need to be careful to make sure you don't overdraw, or risk losing your ranch.
  • In autumn, you can play with no restrictions, but it benefits everyone else as well.
  • In winter, you can play as many as you want at the expense of snow cards for your future turns.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2022, 03:38:34 am »
+4

Mountain Road - Action Level, $4 cost.
+4 Cards
+1 Action

Gain 5 Snows -1 per level.
Level cards start at level 1, so this gets 4 snows to start with, right?

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2022, 04:42:48 pm »
+3

(is there a way to post a picture other than by hosting it on an external website?)
I think external website is the only way. I just started using imgur recently, after ages of just submitting text versions. But I think everyone is also fine with text submissions.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2022, 11:46:25 pm »
+3

Ice Fisherman
Action/Aquatic - $3
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Gain a Snow

Being Aquatic (gained and discarded to the bottom of your deck) means you should be able to outpace the Snow, but it will catch up with you eventually.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 09:06:41 am by NoMoreFun »

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2022, 06:16:56 am »
+2

I'm still thinking about the Combination stuff from the previous contest. Combining with a Snow turns a playable card into a one-shot, or gives you a really slow trash-like effect. (I'm assuming a Combination card which includes the text "return this to its pile" makes the Combination card go back to the Combinations pile, leaving the constituent cards orphaned forever.)

So... my submission:

Ice Crystal
$4 Treasure

$1
You may combine, in order, a non-Duration card from your hand with a Silver and a Snow from their piles.

Clarifications:
  • This creates a Combination of X+Silver+Snow, in that order, where X is the card from your hand.
  • The combining must involve all 3 cards; if the Silver pile is empty or the Snow pile is empty, then Ice Crystal fails to do any combining.
  • If you play the Combination, you get the on-play effect of X, followed by +$2 then +1 Action and return the card to the Combinations pile. The constituent cards (X, Silver and Snow) remain set aside, with nothing able to refer to them again.
  • Playing the Combination card causes it to return to its pile in nearly every case; even if the on-play effect of X causes you to move the Combination card somewhere else (eg trash, Tavern mat etc), the on-play effect of Snow still succeeds in returning the card to the Combinations pile - it is all one big on-play effect so it knows where it has moved the card throughout.
  • The cases in which playing the Combination card might not cause it to return to its pile are:
    • if the Combination is played as a Way, or if another player's Enchantress or Highwayman is in play.
    • if some other effect moves the card during the resolution of the on-play effect, then the on-play effect of Snow may fail to return the card to the Combinations pile. The only way that can happen with official cards is Possession's "any cards of theirs that are trashed are set aside", if the on-play effect of X causes the Combination card to be trashed.
  • The name of the Combination card is "<X>+Silver+Snow", so it doesn't count as a "Silver" for the purposes of Merchant, Corsair, Feodum, Palace, Envious etc.

A really slow trasher, but each card you trash with it gets a $2 bonus as it goes. And there could be some nice Mining Village-esque things to do with it late game.
It specifies "non-Duration" to avoid the trickiness of tracking next turn effects of a card you've returned, and also to avoid awkward questions with things like Hireling.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2022, 02:03:04 pm »
+2

My Submission:

Quote from: Arctic Citagel
ARCTIC CITADEL
Play an Action card costing up to $4 from your hand twice. Gain a Snow per $1 it costs

My submission is Arctic Citadel. It uses Week 11's Acts mechanic, and allows a player to Throne an cheap(ish) Action card from their hand, at the cost of gaining Snows. The price limit will generally keep it from being used with overly-powerful cards, and the gaining will tend to discourage players from using it too much. There are a handful of combos that will be particularly strong: with Ferry and a $2 card (allowing those to be throned for free); with other discounting (e.g. Highway); or with $0 non-Supply Actions like the WoW and the Prizes. While each of those are quite strong, I don't think any are particularly busted, since each will take at least a bit of time to pull off.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2022, 03:22:18 pm »

Deadline is in 24-hourish

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2022, 09:43:52 am »
+2

My Submission:

ARCTIC CITADEL
Play an Action card costing up to $4 from your hand twice. Gain a Snow per $1 it costs

My submission is Arctic Citadel. It uses Week 11's Acts mechanic, and allows a player to Throne an cheap(ish) Action card from their hand, at the cost of gaining Snows. The price limit will generally keep it from being used with overly-powerful cards, and the gaining will tend to discourage players from using it too much. There are a handful of combos that will be particularly strong: with Ferry and a $2 card (allowing those to be throned for free); with other discounting (e.g. Highway); or with $0 non-Supply Actions like the WoW and the Prizes. While each of those are quite strong, I don't think any are particularly busted, since each will take at least a bit of time to pull off.
I like this but it is probably too weak. Suppose you use this on Smithy. The immediate net benefit is +2 Cards on play and the delayed net cost is -4 Cards. Sure, you can mitigate this with sifters, Remodels our out-of-hand trashers but I nonetheless think that the costs outweigh the benefits on average.

Well, yeah, but (imo) that's that power level at which it should be. On most boards, no Way (except maybe WotMouse setting aside something like Encampment or Experiment) is even on average nearly as good as playing the Action card it replaces. Rather, it either provides something missing (from the board or your hand--e.g. WotOx when you have 2 Smithies), is set up to be particularly useful in a context (WotOwl with a Villa bought after you've played all of your Treasures) or works especially well with a particular card (WotChameleon + Poor House).

I meant for Arctic Citadel to be similar. If it were worth it on the average play of the typical inexpensive Action card, a landscape (that has no opportunity cost to acquire) would be too strong. Instead, it's meant to be used only when it is particularly beneficial: when a double play of Moneylender or Baron let's you buy a Canal or Platinum or early Province with Mountain Pass; when the double play of a Vagrant (esp. on a board with no village) lets you play a Hunting Grounds followed by a Vault; when a double Smithy triggers the shuffle before you start/continue greening (perhaps buying 2 Victory cards that turn with the extra cards), and before you gain the Snows.

Also, the immediate benefit on Smithy is +3 Cards, since on the second play you don't have to play Smithy from your hand, and unlike TR, you don't have to play AC from your hand either. This is broadly true (if you TR a cantrip you have a net of +0 cards, but with AC you get +1), which does mitigate the -Cards of Snow. Also, the Snow gaining happens after the double play. So (for example), if you use it on Bridge you will only gain 2 Snows.
he/him/his

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2022, 05:15:53 pm »
+1

Subbmissions are closed: My judgement will probably be up on the 10th juni, aka friday

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2022, 06:01:38 am »
+4

Judgement time
I got a cold so the judging isn't quite to the standard i wanted, but i hope its adequate.

Santas workshop by segura
Santa's Workshop
$4 Action

Gain a non-Victory card.
For each $1 it costs more than $4, gain a Snow.
For each $1 it costs less than $4, gain a Horse.
A fun card that can gain you quite a lot of horses or snows: The non-vicotry part is good to have as to make it not just a "gain a province" in the end. However, From what i see, you can gain potion and debt cards for no Snow penalty, and that makes it lose a lot of points for me. Still, seems fun!
6/10

Frozen City By Joxeft

+1 Card
+1 Action

A fun lab variant. It doesn't quite excite me, but i can see it in an snow-themed expansion pack.
7/10

Blizzard by spineflu

Blizzard • $5 • Action - Attack - Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn, +1 Card per Blizzard in play (anywhere).

On each other player's turn until then, when they play a card that gives them +Actions, they gain a Snow.
-
🔥: Put your deck into your discard pile and trash any number of Action cards from it. +$1 per card trashed this way.
XYZ
I like this attack a lot: Combines snow and another mechanic well. The attack part is interesting as it punishes cantrip heavy decks, altough i think its a bit much to give other player snow cards if they play snows.
The Burn effect is an interesting one, as you can use it to get rid of all the snows (and maybe some other cards like ruins...). Theres plenty of fun things i can see one doing with this card. Nice job.
(also, great theme on this one)
9/10

Icefisher by Xen3k

Ice Fisher - $4
Action
Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.
Gain up to 4 Snow. Reveal that many cards from the top of the Fish pile, gain up to 2 of them, then return the rest to the bottom of the Fish pile in any order.
XYZ
Im a sucker for Black market Games, and this one Feels like a fun card in the same spirit: Designing new Draw to X cards is hard, but the way that this generates usable cards makes for a fun  interaction. it seems like a lot of fun.
PS: i like the logo in the bottom. Maybe the expansion could be themes around nordic expeditions and some Antarctica action?
9/10

Snow imp by commodore chuckles
Snow Imp
Action - $4
+2 Cards
Reveal the top card of your deck. If it's an Action card, play it, otherwise gain a Snow.
A simple but fun card. I like it. Funnily enough, if you overdraw it's a mote.
9/10

Ice sculptor by BERI
[/quote]
Snow sculptor
Action - $4
Trash a card from your hand. If it is a Snow, gain a card costing up to $3 more than it to your hand.
Otherwise, gain a card costing up to $1 more than it.
Gain a Snow to your hand.
[/quote]
A wacky Remodel variant: the fact that you gain cards to your hands is strong! But the snow part limits it a lot. It can still do quite a few tricks, and if you draw two of these with a village you can get a lot going. The fact that you can't trash Golds into Province probably makes this pretty weak overall.
It might just be my cold, but im confused as if you still gain cards to your hand if you didnt remodel a snow.
8/10

Ranch by firestix
My Submission
Quote from: Ranch
Ranch ($4 Action - Season)
+3 Cards
+1 Action

In Spring: Discard 3 cards.
In Summer: If you have 8 or more cards in your hand, trash this.
In Autumn: Each other player draws a card.
In Winter: Gain 2 Snow.

A strong lab that changes it's drawback depending on when in the game you play it. I have no clue as what its Power level is, but it seems fun! And cards that makes everyone else draw cards is quite fun as well. It probably has a high skill ceiling, and quite a few fun interactions with Cards like Necromancer. Probably busted with overlord and Band of misfits, but thats not a big problem.
9/10

Mountain road by aquila

Mountain Road - Action Level, $4 cost.
+4 Cards
+1 Action

Gain 5 Snows -1 per level.
A mega drawer card you have to invest quite a lot in. To make it the same as a normal lab, you have to buy 3 levels, or 12$ and 3 Buys: Im not sure about this card, but i dont see anything wrong with it right now.
7/10

Ice fisher by Nomorefun
Ice Fisherman
Action/Aquatic - $3
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Gain a Snow
An interesting lab variant, As i't would be way too strong in most circumstances, but with snow it becomes more balanced, maybe even bad, since it's a cantrip in the long term. Its probably a strong opener that enables new strategies. I was unimpressed at first, but it has depth (drumroll)
9/10

ice chrystal by Infangthief

Ice Crystal
$4 Treasure

$1
You may combine, in order, a non-Duration card from your hand with a Silver and a Snow from their piles.
This is essentially is a non-terminal trasher. Quite interesting, as normally cards like these only trash other treasures. But having to draw the "trashed" card before getting rid of it again is a big cost, even if you get +2$ with it. I like it.
8/10

My Submission:

Artic Citadel by Emtzalex
ARCTIC CITADEL
A fun throne-room event, that gives you quite a lot of flexibility now but with a steep cost in the future. Kingdoms with this would be radiclly altered most of the time, but the snow drawback seems like a good balance. And the last few turns would probably get pretty bonkers. i like it a lot.
9/10

Runner ups:
Blizzard by spineflu
Artic Citadel By Emtxalex

WINNER: Ranch by firestix!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 05:58:12 pm by fika monster »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2022, 07:18:17 am »
+1

looks good but my name doesn't have an e on the end of it, only in the middle
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 1.139 seconds with 21 queries.