Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Prosperity 2E Preview 2  (Read 9077 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Prosperity 2E Preview 2
« on: May 31, 2022, 03:00:11 am »
+19

Another day, another set of previews. These are the rocks for my Sisyphus.

Venture is more or less a fixed Adventurer. And it's still weak. Casual players must get some fun out of it sometimes, but I could make a better one.

Crystal Ball is like Venture, but it's like Loan too, and also it can trash the Estates that Loan can't, and play the Actions that Venture can't.

Right, Loan, so, Crystal Ball took over for Loan. Loan is a decent card that casual players tend to not like, because it may flip over a good Treasure. And I had a better version to do, hooray.

Investment is another trashing Treasure, this time tying into the VP tokens. You can imagine getting a bunch of VP from one of these, but it's far from trivial. Just remember, it was also a Treasure that trashed stuff for you.

Trade Route is simply a very weak trasher. It also requires coin tokens, which the set would rather not include (or, would like to do a lot with, but it also had VP tokens).

I'd already covered replacing the trashing part; Clerk covers being another interactive card. It's the one-card Ghost Ship; it somehow ended up here instead of in Seaside. It hurts a lot less than Ghost Ship but still hurts plenty.

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
Re: Prosperity 2E Preview 2
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 03:22:59 am »
+1

These 3 cards are pretty normal in terms of rules, but I'm posting their faqs anyway, in case anyone wants to read them. Really the only question you can ask is, if I Crown an Investments and trash it for VP, can I get VP on the 2nd play? No, you can't.

Actually since this is the last chance I'll have before it's too late, I will make the bold prediction that tomorrow, people will complain about how their favorite card died, and how their least favorite card survived.

Magnate:
• For example, if your hand had two Coppers and a Silver, you'd draw 3 cards.

War Chest:
• The first War Chest you play in a turn can't gain whatever card they name; the second can't gain the card they name, or the card they previously named, and so on.
• The gained card comes from the Supply and is put into your discard pile.
• You can still gain the named cards other ways, just not via War Chests.
• They do not have to name a card in the Supply; however War Chest gains a card from the Supply, and puts it into your discard pile.

Crystal Ball:
• If you don't choose to do any of those things, you leave the card on your deck.
• If this plays an Action during your Buy phase that gives you +Actions, that doesn't let you play more Action cards in your Buy phase; if it draws Treasure cards, you can still play them.

Investment:
• You trash a card no matter what; it's okay if Investment was your last card in hand, you just fail to trash a card then.
• Then you choose either to get +$1 or to trash Investment.
• If you trash it, you reveal your hand and get +1VP per differently named Treasure there; for example if you reveal two Coppers and a Silver, you get +2VP.
• You can still play the revealed Treasures after resolving Investment.

Clerk:
• A player with no cards in their deck will have the card they put on top become the only card in their deck.
• At the start of your turn, you may play any number of Clerk cards from your hand, one at a time, without using up your regular Action play.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 03:51:23 am by dz »

MrHepp

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 03:55:19 am »
+3

Will the removal of Trade Route make it possible for you to design cards that add coin tokens (coffers/villagers/favors?) to Supply piles? I think that you mentioned this limitation in the The Secret History of Dominion: Guilds.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 04:26:05 am »
+2

I'm a bit disappointed that the card that secretly has Junk Dealer's stats is now at the same price point as Junk Dealer.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

dirkdebeule

• Spy
  • Why Not?
  • Respect: +50
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 04:59:27 am »

I'm a bit disappointed that the card that secretly has Junk Dealer's stats is now at the same price point as Junk Dealer.

Ok but it’s from different expansion so no big deal
The Witch likes walking from her Throne Room to her Workshop in the Garden 😁

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 05:27:52 am »
+4

I was working in this restaurant, and we'd run out of carrots. This guy comes in and orders carrots. Just carrots. He wouldn't take anything else. So in the kitchen we looked everywhere and managed to find this one gnarly carrot. Cooked it up and, oh no we've no plates either. It's been ages and he's still there waiting. Have to serve it on a tray. This is so embarrassing. Anyway, I'd better get it over with. I presented him with...

a LONE TRAYED ROOT, eVENTUAlly.

Sorry.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 06:24:45 am »

Will the removal of Trade Route make it possible for you to design cards that add coin tokens (coffers/villagers/favors?) to Supply piles? I think that you mentioned this limitation in the The Secret History of Dominion: Guilds.

Not a good idea, since all the removed cards are still supported. (It's not supposed to be that you can't play with your purchased cards from first-editions if you buy new expansions.)

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 06:29:20 am »

Why is Clerk Reaction? Just saying

+$2, Attack, if there is no different named Action card in play, +1 Action.

isn't enough?

Meta

• Baron
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2022, 06:49:48 am »
+1

Why is Clerk Reaction? Just saying

+$2, Attack, if there is no different named Action card in play, +1 Action.

isn't enough?

That wording would prevent you from playing it non-terminally while having durations in play.
It could be fixed by saying: if you didn't play a differently named Action card this turn: +1 Action.
But this wouldn't be as fun with ways and leads to command cards being able to play it non-terminally.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2022, 07:26:36 am »
+4

A similar effect could easily be implemented without it being a Reaction, and it could be more interesting or less interesting depending on the situation. Actually I don't think there is any reason why you couldn't just remove the Reaction type from the card and leave the card text exactly the way it is now and have it work the same way. But it has to be a Reaction so that it gets to be blue to draw your attention to it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Imrahil3

• Bishop
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2022, 07:38:53 am »
+1

Is there some grand synergy I’m missing for Clerk? Or is it just “neat” to have a way to play multiples of them without needing +Action?

I guess it allows you to play multiple but forces you to do it at the start of your turn as a limiting feature?

Not exactly sure what’s going on there - need to play with it to figure out what it wants to do, which probably means it’s great for the game.

Meta

• Baron
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2022, 08:07:54 am »
+1

Now that I take a closer look at it, those cards seem to synergize rather well with our beloved Scout.

Crystal ball: After playing a Scout you can put a Scout on top of your deck, so that you play (or trash) your top-decked Scout using your Crystal Ball, so that you have a better next turn.

Investment: Using Scout you can fetch your unwanted starting estates to trash them using Investment. In rare cases, where you have nothing less valuable than a Scout in your hand you can also use Investment to trash the Scout himself.

Clerk: Scout perfectly negates the attack, as you can just topdeck a Victory card, that you can later add to your hand via Scout. And if your Scout is colour-blind he may accidentally also put a revealed Clerk into your hand.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2022, 08:11:37 am »
+1

Family of Inventors

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2022, 08:27:16 am »

Sad to see Loan go, but Crystal Ball and Investment both look cool and more than make up for it. Crystal Ball is Junk Dealer with fewer trash options, but still useful when you flip good cards.

We can finally buy our own Goats! Investment's mini game will be a lot more worthwhile in Prosperity-heavy games, but still fun elsewhere too.

Clerk looks less like mini Ghost Ship and more like a fixed Bureaucrat (who looks sadder than ever).

Nice to see lots of new, more playable Treasures!

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2022, 08:48:14 am »
+1

I have to say, I'm surprised there aren't more VP token cards. I thought we would be getting at least 6 in these new cards, but now it's a max of 4. Not particularly complaining, but I just know Donald likes to get as much use out of components as possible.

Crystal Ball looks like it'll suffer from the same problem that Sentry and Doctor do, in that in most cases its trashing is random and unreliable, making it really hard to get those last several bad cards out of your deck. It might help to think of it as the playing cards being its main effect and the trashing being a nice bonus if you hit a bad card.

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2022, 10:09:43 am »
+3

Clerk:
• A player with no cards in their deck will have the card they put on top become the only card in their deck.
• At the start of your turn, you may play any number of Clerk cards from your hand, one at a time, without using up your regular Action play.

So if my opening hand for a turn is clerk and 4 copper. I play the clerk using its reaction but use way of the otter to draw two cards and draw two clerks can i play both new clerks using their reaction?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2022, 10:15:05 am »

Is there some grand synergy I’m missing for Clerk? Or is it just “neat” to have a way to play multiples of them without needing +Action?

It is neat to have a way to play a different Action in addition to one Clerk without needing +action.

IceHot

• Pearl Diver
  • Shuffle iT Username: IceHot
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2022, 10:19:03 am »

So no more Venture /Tunnel...  :-[

I almost always bought Venture and almost always won when I did and my opponent didnt.

IceHot

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2022, 10:23:15 am »
+1

I guess it allows you to play multiple but forces you to do it at the start of your turn as a limiting feature?

Not exactly sure what’s going on there - need to play with it to figure out what it wants to do, which probably means it’s great for the game.
What he is saying is the card is a tad too strong in multiples.  Thus you can only play multiples if they start in your hand or you are willing to forgo the extra action.  For example in herald games or even worse governor games 2 coins plus action plus attack is too much value for 4 coins.

IceHot

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2022, 10:28:10 am »

Now if only they can get rid off...

the aptly named Torturer
the poorly named Advisor
Catapult
Lurker
Sauna
Haunted Woods
Possession
and Tax

Imrahil3

• Bishop
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2022, 10:46:05 am »

What he is saying is the card is a tad too strong in multiples.  Thus you can only play multiples if they start in your hand or you are willing to forgo the extra action.  For example in herald games or even worse governor games 2 coins plus action plus attack is too much value for 4 coins.

But it will rarely hit more than once - only things like Expedition or Council Room can give you more than 5 cards in hand. Lacking those, Clerk is a Relic ($5) the first time followed by Silver ($3) for all successive plays.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2022, 10:54:42 am »
+3

Crystal Ball can’t trash any junk that’s in your hand already though.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2022, 12:06:53 pm »
+1

Crystal Ball can’t trash any junk that’s in your hand already though.

It's different in all the ways that it's different.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2022, 12:14:21 pm »
+2

I was working in this restaurant, and we'd run out of carrots. This guy comes in and orders carrots. Just carrots. He wouldn't take anything else. So in the kitchen we looked everywhere and managed to find this one gnarly carrot. Cooked it up and, oh no we've no plates either. It's been ages and he's still there waiting. Have to serve it on a tray. This is so embarrassing. Anyway, I'd better get it over with. I presented him with...

a LONE TRAYED ROOT, eVENTUAlly.

Sorry.

he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2022, 12:26:13 pm »
+4

Clerk:

So if my opening hand for a turn is clerk and 4 copper. I play the clerk using its reaction but use way of the otter to draw two cards and draw two clerks can i play both new clerks using their reaction?

Yes. See the FAQ for, e.g., Black Cat and Sheepdog (this would also work using Way of the Chameleon (and you'd also get the Attack).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.