Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Prosperity 2E Preview 1  (Read 11799 times)

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
Re: Prosperity 2E Preview 1
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2022, 11:05:50 am »

Magnate seems to be a budget Marquis and a really pathetic one at that. I really wish that it also had a bit more going for on turns where it only gets drawn with 0,1 or 2 Treasures. It's a really bad when it is a lesser Smithy a lot of times.

The rest (from day 1 and 2) are cool though.
I disagree. Marquis decreases in power with continued play whereas Magnate increases.
It is really more like Hunter in terms of significantly pushing the optimal ratio of Actions to Treasures down.

I think that is cooler than mono-engine cards like Herald and Scrying Pool that want a high ratio.

I agree with your disagreement. We already have so many cool action cards, so it's nice to have more variety and incentive to keep extra treasures around (even in engines). Especially when it's a card from the "treasure" expansion!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2022, 10:31:56 pm »
+1

It's part of a standard recommendation: don't put cards with setup instructions in the Black Market deck unless that setup instruction is already included in the kingdom.

That sounds reasonable, but has this ever been stated as an "official" recommendation by Donald/RGG? The original card's FAQ didn't mention anything like this, as there were no other cards with setup instructions back then.

Also, Charlatan does not really have a "setup instruction" as it doesn't add any extra piles/tokens/mats to the game. It only changes the playing rules for Curses, which are in every kingdom anyway.

Indeed there’s a difference between a setup rule and a global rule that applies to the whole game because a card is in use. I think for Charlatan, having it in the Black Market is bad because you have to remember the rule for Curses throughout the game, even though there’s no card in front of everyone with that rule written in it. Also, it just feels like an arbitrary tacked-on rule if it isn’t tied to a normal Kingdom pile, like you might as well just house rule to play with the Curses-as-Coppers rule when you feel like it with or without Charlatan in the Black Market.

For setup rules, I don’t see a great reason to not include them in the Black Market, other than forcing you to look through the Black Market deck before the game begins… and the Black Market rules allow you to play with an unknown Black Market deck if you want.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +640
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2022, 11:40:11 pm »

and the Black Market rules allow you to play with an unknown Black Market deck if you want.
Do they? I don't have the physical rules, but the wiki doesn't mention that possibility.
I don't see how it would work, unless you had a way of ensuring it did not include any cards with setup instructions.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2022, 05:38:26 am »
+2

I don't see how it would work, unless you had a way of ensuring it did not include any cards with setup instructions.

You can exclude the cards with setup before you shuffle them to randomize the Black Market deck.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2022, 07:30:15 pm »
+1

I struggle to see why Magnate costs 5$, when it's rarely better than Smithy, and often worse. I'll be curious to see what the consensus on the card is after people have had time to play with it.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2022, 10:53:54 pm »

With Charlatan, Treasurer can now gain Curses from the trash. Not that you'll want to do that very often, but the option's there, and now Bonfire can finally trash Curses!

Edit: And also five (or maybe more if I'm missing any) cards will now gain the ability to trash Curses: Treasurer, Spice Merchant, Counterfeit, Loan, and Pooka. Pooka's Curse-trashing will be especially interesting, making Cursed Gold more useful, since you'll be able to trash your Curses!

I can't believe I forgot about Mine and Taxman, both of which will gain the ability to turn Curses into Silvers in games with Charlatan
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2022, 10:56:24 pm »
+3

Since the only card here that will require a nontrivial amount of rulings is Charlatan, here's the FAQ and other rulings:

This turns Curses into Treasures for the entire game and in all situations; it's just like the bottom bar says "Curse - Treasure." They may be played for +$1 in the Buy phase. They are trashed from play when gaining Mint, Magnate counts them in your hand, Courtier (from Intrigue) gives you two choices when revealing one, and so on. They are still Curses and still worth –1VP at the end of the game.

-I don't this will be ambiguous, but all Curses everywhere are affected. So your Bandit can trash their Curses for them, and Curses in the trash count for Forager.
-Unlike Capitalism, Curses remain as Treasures when scoring, which matters for Keep. This ruling technically applies to Family of Inventors as well, but I say technically because nothing makes that matter.
-DXV confirmed it on discord: if you put Charlatan in the Black Market deck, Curses will be Treasures (and of course the recommendation is to not put it in the deck).

It would be funny to win because you got 6 Curses and your opponent got 4 Curses in a game with Keep!
They/them

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2022, 09:53:43 am »
+2

and the Black Market rules allow you to play with an unknown Black Market deck if you want.
Do they? I don't have the physical rules, but the wiki doesn't mention that possibility.

The official rules for Black Market is that everyone gets to see the cards in the deck.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.