Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #153: Prosperity Revised  (Read 5482 times)

Joxeft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +103
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #153: Prosperity Revised
« on: May 27, 2022, 09:23:35 am »
+11

WDC #153: Prosperity Revised

Thanks to 4est for this idea.

For this weeks contest design a card that fits the theme of Prosperity/Prosperity 2E (you may have it replace a current card from Prosperity).

You may not use mechanics from other expansions so no landscapes, reserves, travelers, split piles, Coffers/Villagers, Exile, Debt, Horses, Night cards, etc.. Your card should be one that could fit in Prosperity 2E.

The contest will end in exactly one week from now.

Judgment
-
Entries will be judged on balance, simplicity, and how appropriate they are for Prosperity 2E.

Expansion Icon.
-
http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/images/f/fb/Prosperity_icon.png
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 09:53:47 am by Joxeft »

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #153: Prosperity Revised
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 10:02:09 am »
+5

Coin Factory
$4 - Action
+2 Cards
You may reveal a Treasure from your hand. If you do, trash it; or discard it to gain a copy of it (your choice).

Comments: Replaces Mint. Similar feel, without Mint's potentially confusing (particularly for Prosperity) on-buy effect that can destroy your deck if you are not careful. Coin Factory is also less dependent on luck to trash your coppers.

It should be strongest when played with heavy Prosperity Kingdoms because you can "coin" Platinum. I presume that Prosperity 2e will also bring better Kingdom-card treasures to replace Contraband, Royal Seal, etc., so you will more often get other Kingdom card treasures that you will want to copy.

Meta

• Baron
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 12:03:17 pm »
+3

Quote from: Translation
Sapphire

If this is the first time you played a Saphhire this turn: +1 Buy

Treasure

It's an older card that I haven't changed much over the years. The only nerf it received was that you could only get the +Buy once per turn.
It's both a treasure card and a card costing so it should fit the theme pretty good.
It can either be viewed as an upgraded Gold or a modified Contraband, but wouldn't necessarily replace it.
Allthough it's a simple card we enjoyed playing with it, and it's a staple if there are no other +buys on the board when choosing the kingdom cards.
Im unsure of the english wording, but it should convey the meaning accurately.

Edit: added 3$ coin
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 08:01:17 am by Meta »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 03:23:27 pm »
+4

My Submission:

Grand Workshop • $7 • Action
Gain a card costing up to $5. If the gained card costs less than $4, +1VP.

My submission is Grand Workshop, a strong gainer (up to $5), which provides a VP token if you gain a card that costs $3 or less. Touches on Prosperity's themes/motifs of $7 cards, much stronger versions of basic cards (Grand Market, Expand, King's Court), and VP tokens.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 03:37:02 pm »
+4

My Submission:

My submission is Grand Workshop, a strong gainer (up to $5), which provides a VP token if you gain a card that costs $3 or less. Touches on Prosperity's themes/motifs of $7 cards, much stronger versions of basic cards (Grand Market, Expand, King's Court), and VP tokens.

I think it would be better phrased as "if the gained card costs up to , +1." It means the same thing but is less prone to misreading/misunderstanding.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 03:43:09 pm »
+9

Pendant is a $5 Copper that gives out VP when you gain expensive cards. You're going to need some way of affording those cards though as Pendants alone won't get you there.

This doesn't replace anything specific, though I suppose it could go in the Royal Seal, Venture, Contraband slot ($5 Treasure) or the Goons slot (VP on-gain).

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 03:55:16 pm »
+3

Joint Venture • $5 • Treasure
$2
If your discard pile is empty, put your deck into your discard pile.
You may trash or play a Copper from your discard pile.

Replaces Loan and Venture, freeing up a slot to do something more interesting. Why's it a Joint Venture? well, for one, it can play or trash the copper. two, 'venture' is already a card. and three, it was going to be named "Accountant" but then I remembered that treasures shouldn't be named after people.

It also lowkey replaces Counting House, and is always a Silver at minimum, as opposed to the just-a-copper dud potential of Crystal Ball, Venture's canon replacement.

It only conditionally puts the deck into discard because its good to have minigames.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 07:00:00 am by spineflu »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2022, 04:04:18 pm »
+2

My Submission:

Looks weak compared to Artisan. Most Kingdoms don’t have decent cheap cards and even if they do, you want to use your Artisans for $5s.

Wild Hunt is weak compared to Torturer/Margrave/Werewolf/Patrol/Catacombs, except that sometimes it gives you VP.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Galaxi

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: Galaxi
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2022, 04:41:43 pm »
+3

I think a bigger version of Mine is a no-brainer for Prosperity. Works especially well with treasures that cost 5, and 4 in the case of a Platinum game, which thankfully there's plenty of in Prosperity. The last part is mostly to make sure it's better than Mine on boards with no treasures of interesting values, but I didn't want to make it too strong, as to incentivize players to use the full boost when able.

Unfortunately I can't properly playtest this as I don't have access to Prosperity, and Platinum games is an important part of the card, so balance might be off. After all, Mine is pretty weak.

Edit notes: (also edited the above text slightly to be more accurate with the updated version of the card)
- Also works well with cost-reducers(turning coppers into gold) now when it's a 5 boost rather than 4.
- The last part is now a pretty significant part of the card, but feels very fitting with the money theme of Prosperity.
- The second gained card goes to you discard pile, should this be written out? If so, is "(to discard)" well formulated enough or do you have to write something longer?
- Could replace Mint if that leaves, both has to do with trashing and gaining treasures.

Old version:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 03:42:47 pm by Galaxi »

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022, 05:18:20 pm »
+2

I think a bigger version of Mine is a no-brainer for Prosperity. Works especially well with treasures that cost 2,4,7 and 5 in the case of a Colony game, which thankfully there's plenty of in Prosperity. The last part is mostly to make sure it's better than Mine on a boards with no treasures of these values, but I didn't want to make it too strong, as to incentivize players to use the full 4 boost when able.

Unfortunately I can't playtest this as I don't have access to Prosperity, and Colony games is an important part of the card, so balance might be totally off. After all, Mine is pretty weak.

I think this would be even weaker than Mine due to the higher cost - in most games (especially full random) the full $4 increase is rarely or never usable. (FWIW, Prosperity 1E doesn't have any $2 Treasure, and only one very weak $7 Treasure.) 

I think you could at least allow for a $5 increase, making it a kind of severely restricted Altar that gains to hand (as Altar can also trash estates and curses and gain Actions, it's much more flexible). Turning the occasional $4 treasure into Platinum is strong but hardly overpowered for a $6 card.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2022, 07:33:04 pm »
+9

Ruby
Treasure - Attack ($5)

$2
Each other player may discard a Treasure. If they don't, they gain a Curse.

Mountebank is one of my least favourite cards in all of Dominion, so I designed a replacement for it. Since Prosperity doesn't have any attacking Treasure cards, and Dominion as a whole only has two, I think it would be really interesting to have another in Prosperity 2E. Its attack portion is obviously a lot weaker than Mountebank, but it's non-terminal. It's also a relatively simplistic card so as not to overwhelm newer players (as Prosperity is an early expansion for many).

I'm excited for the official 2E coming soon! :)
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2022, 08:54:43 pm »
+6

The fabled +2 Cards and +$2! Gives you a Buy as well but takes a bit from Blockade and Contraband by punishing you if you want to gain a specific card.
they/them

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2022, 01:44:26 am »
+3

Entrepot
Action
$5

+2 Actions

Look at the top 4 cards of your deck. Put 2 of them into your hand and discard the rest.

Notes
- A replacement for Contraband.
- Contraband is one of my favourite cards in Dominion. I love the sub-meta game it can introduce about which card to block. The problem is that the card itself isn't very good, so even when the card is in the kingdom you still rarely get the sub game that I really like. I therefore wanted to take the clause about blocking cards from being bought and put it on something else. I would like to see that clause on something you would want to potentially play multiple copies of. It brings a new aspect to the game. How many would you want to play?
- I had a look to see what Prosperity is currently missing. It is light on villages when compared to other sets. It only has two true villages (what I call cards that give 2 actions) and King's Court. Most large sets have three and then possibly another splitter. The Contraband clause on a village, particularly if it is the only village in the game could be very interesting.
- Prosperity also lacks a sifter, so I added a sifting element too.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2022, 01:49:51 am »
+1

- Prosperity also lacks a sifter, so I added a sifting element too.

Vault doesn't count?

(your card looks good tho, I like it).

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2022, 07:10:39 am »
+5

Decree
Treasure - $5
Gain a card costing less than this. If it's a Victory card, +1VP. If it's an Action or Treasure, you may play it.

A replacement for Talisman as the set's "gainer". I think revised Prosperity will want more powerful Treasures, and more +VP cards (and I think Goons is a goner). The mechanic of playing Action cards outside the Action phase has been brought into the "early expansions" by Pirate and Sailor so it's fine here.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 07:21:26 am by NoMoreFun »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2022, 07:17:01 am »

I think a bigger version of Mine is a no-brainer for Prosperity. Works especially well with treasures that cost 2,4,7 and 5 in the case of a Colony game, which thankfully there's plenty of in Prosperity. The last part is mostly to make sure it's better than Mine on a boards with no treasures of these values, but I didn't want to make it too strong, as to incentivize players to use the full 4 boost when able.

Unfortunately I can't playtest this as I don't have access to Prosperity, and Colony games is an important part of the card, so balance might be totally off. After all, Mine is pretty weak.

One thing I'm hoping for is a rule change that games with any Prosperity cards are guaranteed to be Platinum/Colony games. That would make a revised Mine shine.

This card is not much stronger than the existing card and probably isn't worth $6. Mine is essentially "+$1, gain a Peddler", which compares poorly to Inventor (a $4 card). For a fixed Mine costing $6 you could afford to go much, much stronger.

Galaxi

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2022, 07:58:30 am »
+1

I think this would be even weaker than Mine due to the higher cost - in most games (especially full random) the full $4 increase is rarely or never usable. (FWIW, Prosperity 1E doesn't have any $2 Treasure, and only one very weak $7 Treasure.) 

I think you could at least allow for a $5 increase, making it a kind of severely restricted Altar that gains to hand (as Altar can also trash estates and curses and gain Actions, it's much more flexible). Turning the occasional $4 treasure into Platinum is strong but hardly overpowered for a $6 card.

Yeah I were thinking post-posting(sorry) a 5 increase might be more appropriate. Initially I were afraid of something like Throne Room - Central Mine on a plat game, but I mean KC - Mine does the same thing but on more boards. I kinda feel like that's a good, and after considering it more carefully, quite obvious fix. Makes more non-Prospetity treasures interesting with it as many cost 5, and also works interestingly with cost reducers.

The harder part is the -if only up to 3- part. I'm thinking getting +1 action or maybe gaining another copy could be interesting alternatives, but I'll have to playtest it to see how strong that is(without Prosperity unfort). I put this out before having thought it through properly yet cause I were afraid someone else might have the same idea ;D. Thanks for the thoughts on the card though, confirming my suspicions of it being too weak :). I'll get another version up after playtesting a bit.

Joxeft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +103
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2022, 09:50:36 am »

If you didn't know you can go here to get the expansion icon.
http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/images/f/fb/Prosperity_icon.png

Galaxi

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2022, 10:33:11 am »
+1

Updated my submission

I think a bigger version of Mine is a no-brainer for Prosperity. Works especially well with treasures that cost 5, and 4 in the case of a Platinum game, which thankfully there's plenty of in Prosperity. The last part is mostly to make sure it's better than Mine on boards with no treasures of interesting values, but I didn't want to make it too strong, as to incentivize players to use the full boost when able.

Unfortunately I can't properly playtest this as I don't have access to Prosperity, and Platinum games is an important part of the card, so balance might be off. After all, Mine is pretty weak.

Edit notes: (also edited the above text slightly to be more accurate with the updated version of the card)
- Also works well with cost-reducers(turning coppers into gold) now when it's a 5 boost rather than 4.
- The last part is now a pretty significant part of the card, but feels very fitting with the money theme of Prosperity.
- The second gained card goes to you discard pile, should this be written out? If so, is "(to discard)" well formulated enough or do you have to write something longer?

Old version:

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2022, 02:37:26 pm »
+5

Bookkeeper
$4 - Action
+1 Buy
Gain a Treasure costing up to $4.  This turn, whenever you discard a copy of that Treasure from play, you may set it aside, putting it into your hand at end of turn.

Replaces Counting House.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2022, 11:00:19 pm »
+5

How bout a treasure Groundskeeper?

Huge...tracts of land
$5 - Treasure
+$2.
This turn, when you gain a Victory card, +1 VP.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2022, 08:02:16 pm »
+8

Replaces Contraband, naturally.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2022, 03:46:44 am »

My Submission:

I think it would be better phrased as "if the gained card costs up to , +1." It means the same thing but is less prone to misreading/misunderstanding.
I love the idea of piling down and gaining VP while doing it. But why not commit to it, instead this half backed card. An card gainer costing 7 is to late. I would try to get it to work on 5. (and if you wont, I will :P)

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2022, 04:52:30 am »
+1

Updated my submission

Old version:

Gaining a second copy of the upgraded card is a great idea. :D It makes Central Mine more interesting and more different from Mine. Now I'm actually surprised Donald hasn't used this idea for a Remodel variant yet (well, there's Develop, but it's rather unfun to gain an additional "downgraded" card).

Turning a Gold into two Platinums is probably the strongest use of this new version, probably better than colliding two Treasure Maps. But then, Central Mine and Gold cost $6 while Treasure Map only costs $4.

For the wording, I would use "gain another copy of the gained Treasure (to your discard pile)". Technically, the bracket is not necessary since gained cards go to discard by default. But since the first gained card does go to hand, I would add it for clarification.

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
  • Respect: +180
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2022, 12:59:54 am »
+2

This is my first time doing a weekly design contest; Hope I don't bungle it.

Edit: added the "gain a card" effect, so it will actually end the game
Edit 2: Changed to Buying a card because we don't want to have people just keep gaining coppers.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 02:33:54 pm by Builder_Roberts »
Just living a life, you know?
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.