Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Lich + Duration Attacks  (Read 986 times)

CaptainTheo

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +40
    • View Profile
Lich + Duration Attacks
« on: May 24, 2022, 07:24:21 pm »

If I play Lich and also play a Duration-Attack such as Swamp Hag, Haunted Woods, Enchantress, Blockade, Gatekeeper or Corsair, presumably the effects will persist until my next actual turn?

E.g. if I play two Liches and one Swamp Hag in the same turn, then all the other players will get three turns each before I have my next turn, assuming that they do not play Lich, but during any of these turns they will continue to gain a Curse whenever they buy a card?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Lich + Duration Attacks
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 07:39:06 pm »
+3

Correct. You don't get a turn when you normally would, so "your next turn" is after each opponent has had 2.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 05:13:47 pm »
+1

Correct. You don't get a turn when you normally would, so "your next turn" is after each opponent has had 2.

Interesting. This can make for very strong Lich combos on boards where the Attack cannot be mitigated (e.g. Swamp Hag with no trashing available).

I assume this is a general rule and the "skipped turns" are ignored by all duration cards in play, not just attack durations? E.g. playing a Wharf and a Lich in the same turn still gives you Wharf's duration effect on your next actual (non-skipped) turn.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 05:32:37 pm »
+5

Interesting. This can make for very strong Lich combos on boards where the Attack cannot be mitigated (e.g. Swamp Hag with no trashing available).

Step 1, play Swamp Hag (with an extra actions).
Step 2, play Blockade, gaining a Curse.
Step 3, play King's Court-King's Court-Lich-Lich-Lich

Step 4, enjoy as your opponents choose to either do nothing for 10 turns in a row, or gain every Curse. Works best in a 3-4 player game, where gaining all the Curses is far worse than a 2-player game, and forces your opponents into a game of chicken where no one wants to buy a card because it helps every other opponent way too much.

I assume this is a general rule and the "skipped turns" are ignored by all duration cards in play, not just attack durations? E.g. playing a Wharf and a Lich in the same turn still gives you Wharf's duration effect on your next actual (non-skipped) turn.

Yeah, the "Start of your next turn" just doesn't happen until your actual next turn.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2022, 05:57:11 pm »
+4

Step 3a, do something useful with your +54 Cards and +18 Actions.

Otherwise your opponents enjoy their 10 turns of anticipating your disappointment when you realise you went to all that effort just to get a Curse and +$3.

Holger

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 07:14:10 am »
+1

Step 4, enjoy as your opponents choose to either do nothing for 10 turns in a row, or gain every Curse. Works best in a 3-4 player game, where gaining all the Curses is far worse than a 2-player game, and forces your opponents into a game of chicken where no one wants to buy a card because it helps every other opponent way too much.

Yeah, the "Start of your next turn" just doesn't happen until your actual next turn.

Thanks for confirming. :)

In your scenario, the other players can't buy anything for 10 turns, but they can still gain cards with Blockade or other gainers (SH only triggers on buying a card). And if there's another curser on the board, they can still curse you (and each other) undisturbed for 10 turns. ;)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2022, 09:51:50 am »

Thanks for confirming. :)

In your scenario, the other players can't buy anything for 10 turns, but they can still gain cards with Blockade or other gainers (SH only triggers on buying a card). And if there's another curser on the board, they can still curse you (and each other) undisturbed for 10 turns. ;)

If there's another curser on the board, they can curse each other for one turn.

Holger

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2022, 07:32:26 am »
+1

If there's another curser on the board, they can curse each other for one turn.

Huh? Almost all other cursers (like Witch, Mountebank etc.) give out curses on play to those players whose turn it isn't (ignoring rare playing-out-of-turn combos). So Blockade doesn't usually trigger when someone plays a curser, which the other players can do for 10 turns in GendoIkari's scenario.

The only exception (that I can find) is Black Cat, which can be played out-of-turn by itself. But since its cursing is dependent on another player gaining a victory card, it's unusable in this situation since gaining a victory card is already fatal itself.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 08:21:58 am by Holger »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2022, 08:47:23 am »

Oops! I forgot that Blockade is "on their turn", not "not on your turn".

Holger

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022, 09:12:25 am »

In fact, I think the only way to force another player to gain the curse pile with Blockade is in rare situations when that player already has a Duration gainer in play, e.g. a Princed JoaT where you Blockade both the Silver and Curse piles, or a Cobbler where you Blockade all non-empty supply piles costing at most $4.

Otherwise it's not possible, not even when two players try to collaborate against a third player in multiplayer.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.