Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Seaside 2E Preview 2  (Read 10661 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Seaside 2E Preview 2
« on: May 17, 2022, 03:00:09 am »
+22

Here I am with 3 more new Seaside cards, and 3 cards that get lovely parting gifts.

Navigator is fine to play if nothing else is claiming your action play, if you can just put this in instead of a Silver and never notice that action cost. And if not then you don't touch it.

Tide Pools has nothing to do with Navigator; it's just some cool new card. Seaside had a few things that pushed bigger or smaller turns, so Tide Pools pursues that angle, making one turn bigger and another smaller, in the reverse order that Tactician does.

People were telling me how little they liked Sea Hag from the moment it came out. Some people just didn't like that all it does it attacks. And it wasn't very good, and games where you did want it were miserable.

Sea Witch is a more classic Witch. In fact it starts off being classic Witch exactly. Then it hangs around and Cellars a little next turn.

Pearl Diver is inoffensive but also very low value. You want it when a cantrip that does nothing is useful.

Sea Chart is a better cantrip. It plays into the Duration cards theme: Duration cards are in play more often, and so easier to draw with Sea Charts.

m_knox

• Steward
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
Re: Seaside 2E Preview 2
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 03:34:33 am »
+1

The digital version of Sea Chart differs slightly:

"Put it into your hand if you have a copy of it in play."

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 03:43:58 am »
+9

The digital version of Sea Chart differs slightly:

"Put it into your hand if you have a copy of it in play."
My images are from the proofs the printer sends. Accept no substitutes.

m_knox

• Steward
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 03:52:49 am »
+1

Ok, I think we've reversed it in Polish edition as well (I mean, to avoid ambiguity with what the "it" is - the revealed card, or its copy in play). But functionally it is the same.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 03:57:57 am by m_knox »

MrHepp

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 05:12:54 am »
+2

I assume that the problem that Pearl Diver and Navigator depicted real people has been solved?

arcee

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: rchandra
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 05:47:12 am »
+7

I assume that the problem that Pearl Diver and Navigator depicted real people has been solved?
And without murder?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 09:26:35 am »
+12

Tide Pools + Guide could be pretty crazy.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2022, 09:40:20 am »
+3

At a glance, Sea Witch looks strictly better than Witch for the same cost. Aside from (the relatively infrequent) occasions when the Dungeon effect is detrimental, I guess it's not strictly better just because it stays in play, so you may have fewer opportunities to play it?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 09:41:06 am »
+9

At a glance, Sea Witch looks strictly better than Witch for the same cost. Aside from (the relatively infrequent) occasions when the Dungeon effect is detrimental, I guess it's not strictly better just because it stays in play, so you may have fewer opportunities to play it?

Just being the Duration type makes it weaker, both due to missing the shuffle more often, and being impossible to play a single one every turn.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 09:45:31 am »
+4

Tide Pool would be pretty bad in a game with discard attacks. Unless Guide was in the kingdom, I'd probably skip this card completely if a discard attack was also in the game. Imagine getting hit with Militia then having to discard another two cards at the start of your turn - you'd have to start your turn with just one card! It would also be bad in multiples

Should be an interesting card to figure out strategy for!
They/them

IceHot

• Pearl Diver
  • Shuffle iT Username: IceHot
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2022, 10:15:13 am »
+3

Navigator was a great card for churning your deck:
It was strong with level up card as well as tunnel and one of only a handful of cards that can set a card 2 down for wishing well.

Pearl Diver:
Was a nice cheap more reliable target for Prince as well as cheap access for Herald, Scrying Pool, Peddler, Leprechaun, and any throne room effect.  What may or may not be missed is randomization density of 2 drops.  Dropping two "2's" and adding a "3" and a "4" does not bode as well for the 5-2 split (so far).

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2022, 11:20:40 am »
+4

Tide Pools is also interesting with Duration draw. You can fail to discard before you choose to activate your Wharf/Haunted Woods etc, so some of the downside is mitigated. Like, a deck with 6 Tide Pools and 4 HWs starts with a hand of six cards and gets to play 3 double labs per turn. It that worth it? It sounds pretty good. Maybe someone can do the math and prove me wrong.

urza

• Swindler
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2022, 11:31:17 am »
+5

I really like the "flavor" of Tide Pools.  The cards come in, the cards come out.

Also, I'm really excited for this set (I've been holding off buying Seaside for years in anticipation of a 2E) and I don't want to complain too much, but I just wish Sea Witch was a bit more different than Basic Witch.  I know it's not strictly better because it can miss the shuffle, but it seems like such a small variation.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2022, 12:08:46 pm »
+3

It's a good card to teach about the detrimental effect of being a duration and missing reshuffles. Also the sifting is even better when you have a few curses

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2022, 01:11:12 pm »
+3

Apparently!

BraydonM

• Coppersmith
  • Shuffle iT Username: BraydonM
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2022, 01:45:53 pm »
+1

Tide Pool would be pretty bad in a game with discard attacks. Unless Guide was in the kingdom, I'd probably skip this card completely if a discard attack was also in the game. Imagine getting hit with Militia then having to discard another two cards at the start of your turn - you'd have to start your turn with just one card! It would also be bad in multiples

Should be an interesting card to figure out strategy for!
While guide or desert guides is obviously the best combo allowing you to play any number of tide pools with no downside I think one is good with a lot of things. Draw to X, enemy junkers, discard for benefit cards and possible mega turns such as inventor are all good uses.

It is kind of sad that discard reactions is only three cards. Hopefully another one will be added soon.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2022, 02:26:32 pm »
+2

Is there a place for just taking 4-5 Tide pools, and taking half as many turns?  That's a huge penalty, of course, but it seems relatively easy to set up, and if there's no other way to build an engine, it might be competitive with the money deck.  It's definitely more compelling than trying to do the same thing with Lich.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2022, 04:05:34 pm »
+4

Is there a place for just taking 4-5 Tide pools, and taking half as many turns?  That's a huge penalty, of course, but it seems relatively easy to set up, and if there's no other way to build an engine, it might be competitive with the money deck.  It's definitely more compelling than trying to do the same thing with Lich.
So I just realized that there's a problem with this strategy, which is also a problem for the Voyage/Mission/Outpost strategies.  If you play a bunch of tide pools to draw deck, then during cleanup, you shuffle your deck without the tide pools, and draw a new hand.  The next turn, you discard your hand, but you still have the rest of the shuffle to get through before reaching your tide pools again.

Meta

• Baron
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2022, 05:38:20 pm »

According to the german promotional photo, Island, Native Village, and its mats are confirmed to stay.
Also one of the replacement cards is going to be an Action-Duration-Reaction, called "Piratin" (female pirate) as seen here.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2022, 06:36:14 pm »
+1

Well, if you ask me, the new art alone is reason enough for these replacements.

beri

• Bishop
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2022, 06:43:33 pm »

OK, you can buy a sea chart, you can hire a witch, but… buying tide pools IRL, really??

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2022, 09:46:13 pm »
+1

OK, you can buy a sea chart, you can hire a witch, but… buying tide pools IRL, really??

The only weird thing is that it's not a victory card.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2022, 04:11:02 am »

Well, you already need to play 3 TPs in one turn to get an effect comparable to Lich (net +6 cards vs. net +5 cards +1 Action). So your deck needs to be small enough that you can reliably draw >3TPs per non-skipped turn for this to be better than Lich. Probably doable with good trashing available.
To prevent shuffling, you could leave the last 5 cards undrawn in your deck, which however might contain a TP or two... :-\
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 04:19:03 am by Holger »

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2022, 04:20:27 am »

According to the german promotional photo, Island, Native Village, and its mats are confirmed to stay.
Also one of the replacement cards is going to be an Action-Duration-Reaction, called "Piratin" (female pirate) as seen here.

The mats are also confirmed by Donald's 3rd preview post, as Island and NV still refer to them.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2022, 09:02:23 am »

I guess you pay to modify the land so that it becomes a tide pool, uh, eventually.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.