Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #152: Play it Again  (Read 6461 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #152: Play it Again
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2022, 11:31:39 am »

Is that good though? You need a couple of turns to set this up, and then you are locked into this strategy forever.
Well, there are simple ways to gain 3 Accountants during the first shuffle (with Stonemason/Pouch), in which case you can have this set up by turn 4, and that means you'll have 4 Provinces by turn 9, which is pretty good. Plus you're not slowing down at all because every turn you have the same hand.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2022, 01:48:55 pm »
+11

An inverse Merchant Camp because why not. Paying was explored a bit with Pageant and Capital City and I think the concept has a bit more potential.
they/them

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2022, 03:16:54 pm »
+5

Hey look, a mini, suckier Cathedral. That you can stop at any time, though. It'll have trouble trashing that last Estate in your deck, you gotta manually play Cloister from your hand again at some point if you want it gone.

For these cards that can replay themselves, it feels better to ignore that Citadel is a thing. That's the only thing out there that, I believe, can mess up the tracking.

Edit: Ugh. Thrones tracking makes this awkward too.

Edit 2: Gubump & Crlundy helped me find a solution to the tracking problem & to word it better. Thank you guys!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 04:21:24 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

Joxeft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +103
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2022, 05:52:22 pm »

Djinn
Action - Duration - Attack ($5)

At the start of your next turn, discard this from play and +2 Cards.
Until then, when any other player buys a card that they have a copy of in play, they gain a Curse.

It has the possibility to curse more or less than Witch does, early game it likely won't be doing much cursing but later on when opponents are often making multiple purchases it can dish out more. Therefore I feel that $5 is an appropriate cost for this card.
Feedback appreciated :)
Compared to swamp hag this is weak maybe it could even cost $4?

Joxeft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2022, 06:07:00 pm »
+3

Feedback is appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 10:28:04 pm by Joxeft »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2022, 06:25:33 pm »
+4

Landlord
Action - $4
+2 Cards
You may gain an Estate or trash an Estate from your hand to put this in your hand.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 05:02:37 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

Joxeft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2022, 06:34:37 pm »
+2

Landlord
+2 Cards
You may gain an Estate or trash an Estate from your hand to put this in your hand.
How much does it cost and what type of card is it?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 04:23:30 pm by Joxeft »

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2022, 07:57:17 pm »
+1

Djinn

Until then, when any other player buys a card that they have a copy of in play, they gain a Curse.

It has the possibility to curse more or less than Witch does, early game it likely won't be doing much cursing but later on when opponents are often making multiple purchases it can dish out more. Therefore I feel that $5 is an appropriate cost for this card.

i feel like this is a variant of swamp hag, and a tad uninteresting. The attack is is weak, and the draw is worse then some "next turn" drawcards.

One variant could be to make it affect not just "buy" but also "gain". maybe that would be busted, but it would encourage more diverse decks.

The attack is weaker than Swamp Hag’s but providing draw is usually more useful than providing coins. More importantly, the attack stacks, unlike Haunted Woods for instance. And the fact that it discards from play means the same Djinn can be used every turn when your engine is up and running. I compared the attack portion to Highwayman (which is ranked fairly high strength wise) and figured it was usually stronger, so that’s why I went with +2 cards instead of +3.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

Joxeft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2022, 08:45:33 pm »

Djinn

i feel like this is a variant of swamp hag, and a tad uninteresting. The attack is is weak, and the draw is worse then some "next turn" drawcards.

One variant could be to make it affect not just "buy" but also "gain". maybe that would be busted, but it would encourage more diverse decks.

The attack is weaker than Swamp Hag’s but providing draw is usually more useful than providing coins. More importantly, the attack stacks, unlike Haunted Woods for instance. And the fact that it discards from play means the same Djinn can be used every turn when your engine is up and running. I compared the attack portion to Highwayman (which is ranked fairly high strength wise) and figured it was usually stronger, so that’s why I went with +2 cards instead of +3.
However the player or players being attacked can just side step the cursing effect its annoying but they can just not buy a card and get a card that is almost as good. You might want to make the cursing effect more powerful.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 08:50:45 pm by Joxeft »

Joxeft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2022, 10:28:40 pm »

My submission rowboat has been updated.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2022, 11:16:27 pm »

Do you like any of these images better.

...Not really? I think the image I picked was fine. The card's text is more important than its image anyways.
they/them

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2022, 01:15:05 am »
+1

I'm still deciding what to submit for me, but I wanted to point out that crlundy has a good submission for this contest "Trade Ship" in day 1 of his Two Fakes and a Preview game on discord: https://discord.com/channels/212660788786102272/449166977991180299/975653864885846086
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 01:18:45 am by LibraryAdventurer »

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2022, 02:36:00 am »

Hey look, a mini, suckier Cathedral. That you can stop at any time, though. It'll have trouble trashing that last Estate in your deck, you gotta manually play Cloister from your hand again at some point if you want it gone.

For these cards that can replay themselves, it feels better to ignore that Citadel is a thing. That's the only thing out there that, I believe, can mess up the tracking.

Edit: Ugh. Thrones tracking makes this awkward too.

Edit 2: Gubump & Crlundy helped me find a solution to the tracking problem & to word it better. Thank you guys!
This looks like it achieves where I was trying to go with my Accountant entry - something where the replaying is sometimes a hindrance; trashing is that something.

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2022, 07:50:23 am »
+2

I've withdrawn my previous entry (Accountant). Trying this one instead:

EDIT 19th May - Withdrawing this one also. I can't get anything like this to work. Putting it into your deck "under at least one card" is no protection against going infinite; it actually needs to reduce handsize, preferably by topdecking. But once you make it reduce handsize the bonus has to be really good to make it worth doing. Giving up and moving on.

Here's a simpler submission:

Coastal Village
$4 Action - Duration

+2 Actions
The next time you shuffle at least 5 cards, put this into your hand.

Clarifications:
  • This stays in play until you need to shuffle at least 5 cards, at which point you move it from play to your hand. It remains in play during any shuffles of 4 cards or fewer, waiting for a shuffle of at least 5 cards.
  • When you put this into your hand, it is in addition to any cards you were drawing, (if drawing cards is what caused the shuffle).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 04:56:11 am by infangthief »

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2022, 08:34:07 am »

I've withdrawn my previous entry (Accountant). Trying this one instead:

Magician
$2 Action

+1 Action
Put this in your deck under at least 1 card. For every 4 cards on top of it or under it (whichever is fewer, round down), choose one: +2 Buys; +$2; gain 2 Silvers.
Clarifications:
  • When you play this, you get to choose where in your deck it goes, but you cannot put it on top.
  • If you have only one card in your deck, you put this under it.
  • If your deck is empty, you will need to shuffle your discard pile so that you can follow the instruction to "put this in your deck under at least 1 card".
  • If your deck and discard pile are both empty, then you fail to put this in your deck at all (and thus don't get any of the options).

The Magician likes a big deck of cards (which they can help you get with the Buys or Silvers). Then they can keep on popping up as you go through your deck, but they get worse each time. The last time you probably won't get any bonus, but at least you should be able to get them to come up at the start of your deck again next time.

Not sure if "per 4 cards" is the right amount, or whether the bonuses are appropriate; I'll try and find some time to playtest it.
Hmm, maybe broken again. Get 4 of these, put them next to each other (easy), buy Pathfinding and then you can get a Province every turn. Probably fixable somehow though.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2022, 05:02:16 pm »

Landlord
+2 Cards
How much dose it cost and what type of card is it?

Whoops, now I feel stupid! OP has been updated.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2022, 01:05:49 am »
+9

All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Galaxi

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: Galaxi
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2022, 12:36:10 pm »

On it's own, it will help clear your deck and it will give you 1 Coffers on your next turn. It can also discard other copies of Illusionist, and ease the pain of discard attacks.  It's a bit hard for me to gauge the value of cleansing the deck before drawing, without having playtested this.  If you have only 1 card in your deck, it's obviously pretty bad.  If you have 8 in your deck and curses are flying around this game, it could be basically as good as draw. Landed on $4 for now.

I guess this is technically a Duration-into-Discard, but I don't really feel like this is recursion(by the given rules). Something like highwayman NEEDS to be a duration in order for the effect to work, and there the discarding makes it cycle faster. This however doesn't have anything left to do the next turn. "At the start of your next turn, discard this from play" doesn't make it cycle faster, but rather slower. The card could just as well say something like "Before cleanup, discard this from play."

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2022, 02:09:28 pm »
+1

Notoire Smith $5
+3 cards
+1$
-
If you discard 2 cards from hand in your discard phase, you put this card onto your deck.

Joxeft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2022, 03:51:11 pm »
+1

Notoire Smith $5
+3 cards
+1$
-
If you discard 2 cards from hand in your discard phase, you put this card onto your deck.
What's your discard phase? Do you mean your clean up phase?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 08:44:06 pm by Joxeft »

venusambassador

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2022, 09:59:22 pm »
+2

i like Horses! i like cards that give Horses, and strategies that rely on playing a ton of Horses per turn. it's hard to make pure Horse-giving cards that don't overlap into the design space of other cards, seeing as how close "gain a Horse" is to "+1 Card". i think this one is different enough from laboratory/destrier, though- gaining 2 Horses is really close to almost as good as getting +2 Cards, but that's only true if you're actually playing the Horses. and if you are, you're not benefitting from what makes this card recursive. is this too good for 5? i also considered having it be "you may topdeck this" instead of "set it aside and put it in your hand". feedback is welcome

Joxeft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 10:17:01 pm by Joxeft »

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2022, 10:30:07 pm »
+3

Altruist - $4
Action -Duration
+1 Action
You may play a non-Duration Action or Treasure card from your hand. Set it aside; if you did, then at the end of your next turn, discard it or this, and put the other onto your deck. While it's set aside, copies of it cost $2 less.

A Necropolis that makes the Action or Treasure played off it cost $2 less for two turns. The catch is it makes it cheaper for everyone. Not sure about the wording. Tried various versions and this was what I ended up with. Feedback is appreciated.

Edit: changed it to be able to put itself or the set aside card onto your deck and simplified the timing for when it does so. It still is a wall-o-text, but to make sure it works as intended, I am not sure it can be helped.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 09:18:08 pm by Xen3k »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2022, 10:35:16 pm »
+3

Compass
$4 - Treasure
+$1.
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put up to 2 of them in your hand. You may discard one. Put the rest back.
You may trash an Action you have in play to set this aside and put it in your hand at the end of your turn.

What do you get when you mix Scout and Adventurer as a Treasure card?
(sounds like a powerhouse right? maybe a possible Venture replacement?)
Originally, I had it drawing everything except Actions, but then it'd be crazy strong in big money so I made it only draw up to 2 of them. It'll probably still be pretty strong in BM, but not overpowered I think.
I considered a $5 cost version that automatically plays itself at the start of your next turn if you trash an action this turn, but I'd like to keep it costing $4. There's aren't very many $4 cost Treasure cards.
EDIT: tweaked to cut some words.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 12:28:52 am by LibraryAdventurer »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.