Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Builder / Conqueror  (Read 1314 times)

beri

• Bishop
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
Builder / Conqueror
« on: May 16, 2022, 04:59:02 am »

My attempt at a Rebuild variant.

Cost: $6 - Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action

You may trash a Victory card from your hand to gain a Victory card costing up to $3 more than the trashed card.

Feedback welcome.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 01:08:48 pm by beri »

Joxeft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +103
    • View Profile
Re: Builder / Conqueror
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 08:37:42 pm »
+1

My attempt at a Rebuild variant.

Cost: $6 - Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action

You may trash a Victory card from your hand to gain a Victory card costing up to $3 more than the trashed card.

Feedback welcome.
It think that this is slightly to power full. This is because its a lab  + you have victory trashing which can be normally up your vp by 2 or 3. But of course only if you have a victory card in your hand which you probably will sense you first draw 2 cards. You might just want to make the card trash before you draw.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 10:03:58 pm by Joxeft »

beri

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 06:10:06 pm »

Having the draw effect help trigger the Rebuild effect was somehow the point :-) You think the difference in cost between $5 and $6 isn’t enough to justify the added power? Note that when you buy this you’re not buying Gold.

Also, Lab is good because you can buy many easily enough. This will be much harder to spam.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 06:13:20 pm by beri »

beri

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 04:57:05 pm »

What do you mean by
Rebuild without the digging
?

beri

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2022, 06:22:55 pm »

It’s what I thought and I still don’t understand your message. You say Rebuild without digging is too strong (…). Well it would be tons stronger with digging.
So I’m lost, I don’t see what you meant.

Imrahil3

• Bishop
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 06:44:02 pm »

I like the idea, but I think I would agree that it’s a bit strong. If the trashing and gaining were mandatory I think it’d be in a better spot, and that could probably cost $5 like Rebuild.

Awesome idea overall! Surprisingly simple to just add remodeling to a Lab and have it work.

beri

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2022, 05:27:24 am »

How about replacing +2 cards with +1 card +$1?

Joxeft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +103
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2022, 09:43:12 am »

How about replacing +2 cards with +1 card +$1?
Looks ok to me.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 12:44:06 pm by Joxeft »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2022, 11:15:14 am »

i'm with segura on this one; a victory remodel shouldn't be nonterminal

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2022, 07:36:44 am »
+1

How about replacing +2 cards with +1 card +$1?

That sounds more reasonable, but is probably still too strong.

Comparing your card e.g. to Distant Shore (which also costs $6, but is much harder to access than a full-pile $6 card): Already after two successful plays (rebuilding Estate to Duchy or Duchy to Province), it nets you 4 to 6 VP without penalty, while DS only gives 2+2*1= 4 VP at the cost of two additional junk cards (which de facto reduce DS from a Lab to a cantrip after the first play, and make it even worse afterwards).

Also, a non-digging Rebuild isn't automatically worse than a digging one: Whenever you have an engine that draws your deck or a substantial portion of it, you have a better chance of an Estate/Duchy in your hand than in the rest of your deck. And you'll often have a choice which card to trash, another significant advantage.

I think I would try your card as just a cantrip non-digging Rebuild at $6 (or without any draw at $5). It's certainly more interesting to rebuild from your hand than from digging, as you need other card draw to make it useful. :)

beri

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2022, 09:42:53 am »

One thought about original Rebuild is that you may have a deck with few Victory cards (i.e. strong deck, all other things being equal) and it still works.
With a card that expands Victory cards from your hand, you want to green earlier than you normally would to make the card powerful enough, making your deck more sluggish. Wouldn’t that tone down the power of a cantrip Victory card "expander"?

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2022, 01:42:46 pm »

One thought about original Rebuild is that you may have a deck with few Victory cards (i.e. strong deck, all other things being equal) and it still works.
With a card that expands Victory cards from your hand, you want to green earlier than you normally would to make the card powerful enough, making your deck more sluggish. Wouldn’t that tone down the power of a cantrip Victory card "expander"?

It depends on the board. On a BM board Rebuild-from-hand (Rfh) would indeed be weaker than original Rebuild since it's harder to line it up with a VP card unless you green very early. But on an engine board where you draw (most of) your deck, you can still reliably play Rfh six times (on the starting Estates) before you need new fodder for it, at which time your engine can probably support the extra VP cards; or you can just mill the Provinces instead to rush for an 18 VP win.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 21 queries.