Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Self-tortured  (Read 1632 times)

randomdragoon

• Salvager
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
Self-tortured
« on: April 02, 2012, 02:59:41 pm »

Here's an idea I thought of randomly - you have to torture yourself in order to get a powerful effect. Either a self-militia or a self-witch (I have you gain Estates so that the Curse pile doesn't run out too fast)

Dark Consultation - $5
Action - Attack
+3 cards
Each other player gains a Curse.
Choose one - Gain an Estate, or discard down to three cards in hand after drawing cards for this turn's clean-up phase.

I'm not sure about this - I feel like you would take the self-militia in the early-game (you have crap to discard anyway, hopefully). This would lead to an excess of Estates, which would make this card a bit painful once Curses run out. But if this gets ignored early game, the 2VP swing would be quite powerful later.

This might be really good in a BM-smithy type deck (smithy + 2VP basically) but my intuition would be that doublejack still beats this.

FishingVillage

• Bishop
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
Re: Self-tortured
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 03:44:00 pm »

Discarding my next hand down to 3 sounds like a nasty drawback, but if one plays more than one Dark Consultation, then is it right to say that choosing "Discard your next hand down to 3" is only meaningful once (since one has already discarded down to 3)?

petrie911

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 03:58:12 pm »

"Choose 1 - Gain an Estate, or discard 2 cards at the end of this turn's cleanup phase.  (After drawing your new hand.)"

This wording seems better.  Also consider gaining Copper.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 06:35:37 pm »

I'd go with gaining Copper instead.  While it's not properly a dead card, it's pretty close and won't run out.  Personally, I'd make it a Duration card to eliminate the awkward "during this turn's cleanup phase":

Dark Consultation - $5 - Action-Duration-Attack
+3 Cards
All other players gain a Curse.
---
At the start of your next turn:  Gain a Curse in hand; or gain a Copper; or discard two cards.

The last line makes it such that it does effect you like a Torturer if you have multiples in play.  It also keeps you from using it to gain extra Coppers in hand a la IGG.
I'm not sure the powerful effect is powerful enough to warrant the self-torture though.  Maybe give it +$1 as well?  Tough call.

Also, the card should totally be called Flagellant.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

randomdragoon

• Salvager
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 02:10:52 am »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I agree the wording on the bottom is clunky, but I also want to avoid making this a Duration card if at all possible. It feels pretty wrong that the Duration part of this card would be purely downside, and Durations also tend to miss reshuffles which I don't really like. I worded the second downside as a "discard down to 3" so the card can self-synergize a bit (playing additional copies won't hurt you more) and also to make this card kind of a delicious combo with Outpost rather than just sucking with Outpost.

Regarding gaining a copper - here are the reasons why I chose Estate:
1 - Estates will empty sometime, likely after the Curses do. This card is very sad when Curses are gone and at least it's just an expensive Smithy once Estates are out too.
2 - Estates cost $2, curses cost $0. There might be some interesting strategies where both decks are being junked up but trash-for-benefit cards generally work better on Estates than Curses.

Gaining coppers has merits too, though, I will have to think about this one.

An alternate downside I was considering was "... or draw only 4 cards (instead of 5) during this turn's cleanup phase". It's probably too brutal though.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.616 seconds with 20 queries.