Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Seaside 2E Preview 1  (Read 13352 times)

CaptainTheo

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +40
    • View Profile
Re: Seaside 2E Preview 1
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2022, 04:30:51 pm »
+1

It seems to me that if someone Blockades Curse and you gain a Curse with Trader in hand, you could exchange each Curse for Silver and end up with all the Silver - though you would then still have to gain all of the curses.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2022, 04:46:48 pm »
+2

Or, for that matter, in multiplayer, any other Cursing attack (except Coven)

Player A blockades a Curse
Player B plays a Witch
Player C gains a Curse from the Witch ... then all the rest of the Curses from Blockade

This one doesn’t work; Blockade only is activated by card gained on their turn, not yours.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2022, 05:00:03 pm »
+3

Black Cat + Blockade would be truly awful. Black Cat in the kingdom would make gaining any Victory cards very risky when there's a Blockaded Curse

I don't think it would be that bad though, because the only way there can be a Blockaded Curse is if your opponent chose to gain a Curse. So for every turn where they choose to gain a Curse, they scare you away from gaining a Victory card. This would not be a normal issue throughout the game, but it could lead to some very interesting ending plays... scared of buying the Penultimate Province because it would put you up by just 5 points? Just also Blockade a Curse (and hope to draw Black Cat).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2022, 05:12:18 pm »
+1

It seems to me that if someone Blockades Curse and you gain a Curse with Trader in hand, you could exchange each Curse for Silver and end up with all the Silver - though you would then still have to gain all of the curses.

That would be cool with Tower in the kingdom

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2022, 05:32:34 pm »
+1

That would be cool with Tower in the kingdom

Or Feodum
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2022, 05:32:52 pm »

Or, for that matter, in multiplayer, any other Cursing attack (except Coven)

Player A blockades a Curse
Player B plays a Witch
Player C gains a Curse from the Witch ... then all the rest of the Curses from Blockade

This one doesn’t work; Blockade only is activated by card gained on their turn, not yours.

Oh, right. Good point
They/them

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2022, 06:59:26 pm »
+3

I think maybe it is possible to get all the Silvers and none of the Curses. If your opponent Blockades a Curse, then you gain a Curse on your turn, there are things that can happen on-gain: you can reveal Trader to swap the Curse for a Silver, and Blockade will trigger to give you another Curse. Since it is your turn, you get to decide the order in which those things happen.

Until the number of Silvers left in the supply is equal to the number of Curses, you should trigger Trader first, Exchanging the Curse for a Silver. Once that is done, Blockade will trigger and give you another Curse. Once the number of Curses and Silvers in the Supply are equal (before you get the Curse), then you let Blockade trigger first, and chain it until you have all of the Curses. At that point Blockade will trigger a final time, but fail to gain a Curse (and, therefore, not be triggered again by you gaining a Curse). However, it is still the on-gain time for each of those Curses, as you had a second thing you could do (reveal Trader). You reveal Trader for each of those Curses, swapping them for a Silver. At the end you have swapped back all of the Curses and emptied the Silver pile.

I may be wrong about this, but based on my understanding of the rules, I think it is possible.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2022, 08:08:15 pm »
+3

Blockade Curse to prevent opponent from getting Defiled Shrine VP 8)
My opponent has more loot than me

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2022, 08:27:37 pm »
+7

I think all this talk of obscure interactions to pile out the Curses (which will NEVER happen in 99% of actual games) is distracting us from Blockade's real power: seeding your next hand.

After playing some games with it, Blockade really makes other "gain to your next hand" cards like Armory and Cobbler look quite silly. Obviously Armory can allow for this turn gain and play and Cobbler is nonterminal, but even still Blockade's ability to maintain consistency by adding an extra Village or a draw card to your next hand is clutch. Even without the Cursing, a Duration Workshop that gained to next hand would probably be a pretty solid $4. The Attack is really just icing on the cake.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2022, 08:51:30 pm »

Are we "distracted" from this basic functionality? We've seen it before, it's just a terminal Cobbler. Apart from costing 4 for being terminal, another side benefit over Cobbler is that you can combine it with cost reducers as with most workshops, and ofc it doesn't require the target supply pile being non-empty at the start of your turn.

Certainly durations like these are quite powerful at the start of your next turn, we all know this obvious fact--their disadvantage for your deck is you can't play them on successive turns so you need an extra copy if you want their effect permanently at your disposal.
My opponent has more loot than me

dpm

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2022, 09:38:10 pm »
+6

Cobbler allows you to see your next hand before choosing the card -- that's a pretty notable advantage. 

MrHepp

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2022, 05:15:36 am »

Any ideas on what to do with the embargo tokens if you decide not to keep the Embargo cards in your collection? Can they be repurposed? My first thought was to use them as Favor tokens to avoid the Favor mat, but they are too few.

Imrahil3

• Bishop
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2022, 08:12:48 am »
+6

Any ideas on what to do with the embargo tokens if you decide not to keep the Embargo cards in your collection? Can they be repurposed? My first thought was to use them as Favor tokens to avoid the Favor mat, but they are too few.
For about three weeks you could use them as coin tokens for Trade Route.

vidicate

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: vidicate
  • Something clever goes here
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2022, 11:55:03 am »

Is 3 weeks based on when Donald said “a few weeks”? Because that’s not the same as 3, and could easily be 2+ months. Just saying
WHERE ARE THE TURTLES?!!! …WHERE ARE THEY?!
-----
Felix: Let's see if you guys are as good as they say.
Grif: Prepare to be sorely disappointed.
-----
Who da man? I da man. I always suspected. -Dr. House

Imrahil3

• Bishop
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2022, 06:21:25 pm »
+5

Is 3 weeks based on when Donald said “a few weeks”? Because that’s not the same as 3, and could easily be 2+ months. Just saying

Nope. Three weeks from now I’m going to break into your house and steal your Embargo Tokens.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2022, 06:30:17 pm »
+1

I really hate to say this, but... Astrolabe looks like Woodcutter 2.0. There doesn't seem to be a reason to buy it over Silver unless you need the +Buy.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2022, 07:03:00 pm »
+3

I really hate to say this, but... Astrolabe looks like Woodcutter 2.0. There doesn't seem to be a reason to buy it over Silver unless you need the +Buy.
Being non-terminal and only a stop card half of the time makes it quite a bit better than Woodcutter (and Silver, for that matter).

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2022, 07:29:58 pm »
+3

Astrolabe : Woodcutter :: Fishing Village : Silver

vidicate

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: vidicate
  • Something clever goes here
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2022, 09:53:28 pm »

Nope. Three weeks from now I’m going to break into your house and steal your Embargo Tokens.
Oh noes! Not my precious tokens! :-[
WHERE ARE THE TURTLES?!!! …WHERE ARE THEY?!
-----
Felix: Let's see if you guys are as good as they say.
Grif: Prepare to be sorely disappointed.
-----
Who da man? I da man. I always suspected. -Dr. House

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2022, 05:06:25 pm »

Being non-terminal and only a stop card half of the time makes it quite a bit better than Woodcutter (and Silver, for that matter).

I'm not seeing it. If you're drawing your whole deck, you need two of them to get the same $ that one Silver gives you.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2022, 05:42:14 pm »

I'm not seeing it. If you're drawing your whole deck, you need two of them to get the same $ that one Silver gives you.

Of course you'll only gain it when you need the extra buys Astrolabe provides, otherwise Silver is preferable.
On boards without Attacks (and no draw-to-x cards etc.), it's strictly better than Lighthouse thanks to the +buys. But maybe Astrolabe could have also cost $2.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2022, 12:40:25 am »

Embargo requires dedicated tokens, just for this card that often no-one buys. That sure wanted to be fixed. And it already had errata due to the changes to Band of Misfits & co.

Blockade is the new Embargo. No tokens required. And it blocks other players and not you, and they can't even get around it with Workshops. It really embargoes things, you get the embargoing experience you always wanted.
I can't argue the appeal of not having to have dedicated tokens for just this one kingdom card.  That said, an anecdote I'd like to share was a couple were bummed that Seaside no longer came with base/foundation cards (reminder that Intrigue 1E cards did!).  The value wasn't there for them.  I mentioned that it does come with 2 sets of (shiny) metal tokens.  I guess they like metal [shrug].,  They changed their tune and ended up getting Seaside (1E)!
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2022, 01:30:22 am »
+4

I can't argue the appeal of not having to have dedicated tokens for just this one kingdom card.  That said, an anecdote I'd like to share was a couple were bummed that Seaside no longer came with base/foundation cards (reminder that Intrigue 1E cards did!).  The value wasn't there for them.  I mentioned that it does come with 2 sets of (shiny) metal tokens.  I guess they like metal [shrug].,  They changed their tune and ended up getting Seaside (1E)!
And that's how it got them; worries over the expansions not seeming like they had enough value-for-money, back when it wasn't so clear that in fact they were fine.

But I mean. For people who are only going to buy a few sets, well a bunch have metal now. And get lots of use out of it too.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2022, 02:54:16 am »

I think maybe it is possible to get all the Silvers and none of the Curses. If your opponent Blockades a Curse, then you gain a Curse on your turn, there are things that can happen on-gain: you can reveal Trader to swap the Curse for a Silver, and Blockade will trigger to give you another Curse. Since it is your turn, you get to decide the order in which those things happen.

Until the number of Silvers left in the supply is equal to the number of Curses, you should trigger Trader first, Exchanging the Curse for a Silver. Once that is done, Blockade will trigger and give you another Curse. Once the number of Curses and Silvers in the Supply are equal (before you get the Curse), then you let Blockade trigger first, and chain it until you have all of the Curses. At that point Blockade will trigger a final time, but fail to gain a Curse (and, therefore, not be triggered again by you gaining a Curse). However, it is still the on-gain time for each of those Curses, as you had a second thing you could do (reveal Trader). You reveal Trader for each of those Curses, swapping them for a Silver. At the end you have swapped back all of the Curses and emptied the Silver pile.

I may be wrong about this, but based on my understanding of the rules, I think it is possible.

I think you're right. Well reasoned.
Of course you could also just gain all the Curses first, then exchange them all for Silvers. This way you don't empty the Silver pile, you just get Silvers instead of Curses. The Curses are all back in the pile (except the one your opponent gained for Blockading), so the whole thing could happen again during the game. But as soon as the Silvers run out (either because someone decided to gain all of them at once, or because the players have been exchanging Curses for Silver one-to-one until the Silvers ran out, the trick doesn't work anymore. The threat is never eliminated until the Curse pile is empty.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 01:59:32 pm by Jeebus »

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2022, 03:41:09 am »

Monkey:
• This includes cards that the player gains on other players' turns, such as a Curse they gain on your turn via Witch.

When they gain the card, they resolve all their on-gain effects before you resolve Monkey (which could matter vs Skirmisher). If you draw a reaction that could respond to the card they gained (such as Falconer), you can use it.

Doesn't that depend on whose turn it is? If they gain a card during your turn, or during the turn of a player who is before you in turn order, you resolve Monkey first. If they have any Reaction to gaining the card, they would have to use it after you draw for Monkey. Right?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.