Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: barbarian continues to savage  (Read 2118 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
barbarian continues to savage
« on: May 09, 2022, 07:25:58 pm »

i lost two imps and an overlord to a barbarian, each turning into a taunting curse. that card is pretty strong.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
Re: barbarian continues to savage
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 06:37:07 am »
+1

Well you can count yourselves lucky because I was able to trash 2 of my opponents provinces with the barbarian, in the same game. This expansion truly is becoming the most attack heavy expansion, do you think Donald x vaccarino is encouraging playing with more attack cards? He did put tons of them in this expansion and absolutely no reactions to defend yourselves meaning you can’t play dominion Allies by itself unless you don’t mind not being able to defend yourselves with a reaction. I absolutely love this expansion. Bring it on! If I lose a province too, oh well it’s just a game. And the cool thing a lot of the split piles also have attack cards. And there’s even some Allies that are like attack cards. If you like attack cards this is the expansion for you, if not then there’s always the renaissance expansion.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 04:06:52 pm »

One of the strongest cards in the new expansion.  Just brutal.  It hands out curses left and right early. If u open barbarian u have like a 90% chance of dealing a curse on 3/4. It then lays waste to the gears of your engine in the mid-game and then slays provinces at the end.

it's a nasty nasty card
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 04:04:40 pm »

It's just so Op and literally dominates any game, even ones with other super strong attacks.  Here is an example of why people hate barbarian, and what many Barbarian games end up looking like—three piles of Barbarian, curses, and the lowest available action card.  I mean the trash pile looks better than many peoples decks lol.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 04:06:18 pm by Honkeyfresh »
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

vidicate

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: vidicate
  • Something clever goes here
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2022, 08:38:03 pm »

In the game above I imagine Barbarians were being picked up when King’s Courts got trashed? Otherwise, without an abundance of expensive Action cards, Barbarian doesn’t lend itself to trash/deplete it’s own pile any quicker; the players would have to deliberately load up on a terminal Silver (over other, usually better options) to do that.

In the other games you (or anyone) speak of, are you and your opponents buying them back and forth in some kind of reactionary arms race? I had a game a long time ago where I swear my friend got to the point he was shuffling his Saboteur to the top whenever my Minion deck made him re-shuffle—so basically every turn. He wanted to smack down my Minions so bad lol.
WHERE ARE THE TURTLES?!!! …WHERE ARE THEY?!
-----
Felix: Let's see if you guys are as good as they say.
Grif: Prepare to be sorely disappointed.
-----
Who da man? I da man. I always suspected. -Dr. House

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 04:51:07 am »

Old Attacks like Mountebank, Torturer or Cultist were overpowered. Barbarian, a card who is weaker than Swindler during T3-T5 if you open with it, is neither a strong Attack nor a centralizing or mandatory card.

Huh?  they both cost 2 and are terminal.  yet one only turns estates into curses?  What am I missing here...

And for u to say it isn't a strong attack nor a centralizing card is just bonkers.  I can't remember a game where it didn't pile first.  I'm sure someone here can pull stats on stuff like that, but it is certainly a centralizing card.  I never ever saw Mountebanks/sorcerer/witches/ghost ship or any of the other Terminal attack cards pile so frequently.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2022, 04:52:56 am »

In the game above I imagine Barbarians were being picked up when King’s Courts got trashed? Otherwise, without an abundance of expensive Action cards, Barbarian doesn’t lend itself to trash/deplete it’s own pile any quicker; the players would have to deliberately load up on a terminal Silver (over other, usually better options) to do that.

In the other games you (or anyone) speak of, are you and your opponents buying them back and forth in some kind of reactionary arms race? I had a game a long time ago where I swear my friend got to the point he was shuffling his Saboteur to the top whenever my Minion deck made him re-shuffle—so basically every turn. He wanted to smack down my Minions so bad lol.

Almost haven't seen a game where it wasn't a race to see who could amass Barbarians asap.  Most people regularly forgo gold for Barbarian in most games I've seen.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2022, 01:11:56 pm »

Barbarian is a lot stronger than I initially thought, but the culprit in that kingdom is King's Court, not Barbarian.

Looking at card statistics since Allies, King's Court games have a resignation rate of 57%, and Barbarian games have a resignation rate of 44%.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.