Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: WDC 151: Now or Later  (Read 4569 times)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
WDC 151: Now or Later
« on: May 05, 2022, 11:45:01 am »
+6

Design a Duration that is either "Now and at the start of your next turn" or "Either now or at the start of your next turn"; Ideally, the card should not do other things - for example, Caravan wouldn't qualify as this, since it doesn't give +1 Action next turn; or Royal Galley (although it would if it also gave +1 Card on your next turn). The focus should be on the benefit from the "now and next turn" action, rather than something ancilliary.

So for official cards, Lighthouse Wharf would count for the former, or Barge would count for the latter. A non-exhaustive and lazy list.

As for additional rules, I'm not going to disqualify entries, mechanics, traveller lines, split piles, yadda yadda, but one of the core tenets you should be aiming for is to keep it simple. You will engender a great deal of goodwill from me, who will be judging, by keeping it simple.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Contest will close 5/12, around noon EDT, with judgment to follow.

also i was going to title this contest "( Now and Later ) xor ( Now xor Later )" but logic-wise that reduces to "Now or Later". oh well, i can be clever some other time.
Shout out to LibraryAdventurer for this suggestion in the suggestion thread.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 01:06:46 pm by spineflu »

Meta

• Baron
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
Re: WDC 151: Now or Later
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 12:26:56 pm »
+6

Quote from: Translation
Lunar Witch

Each other player gains a curse.
Now and at the start of your next turn: +2 Cards

6$  Action - Attack - Duration

It's a basic witch variation I made a while back, and just so happened to fit with the theme.
We played with it a few times, and it is quite fun, but it's much better at drawing (more akin to Wharf) than at cursing like a regular Witch, as you can't play it as often.
And because it costs you can't buy it during T1/2, so it's basically a friendly Witch.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 12:33:38 pm »
+3

Design a Duration that is either "Now and at the start of your next turn" or "Either now or at the start of your next turn"; The card should not do other things - for example, Caravan wouldn't qualify as this, since it doesn't give +1 Action next turn; or Royal Galley (although it would if it also gave +1 Card on your next turn).

So for official cards, Lighthouse would count for the former, or Barge would count for the latter. A non-exhaustive and lazy list.

So would Caravan qualify if it was worded as "+1 Action. Now and at the start of your next turn, +1 Card."? Because Lighthouse also doesn't give +1 Action next turn, yet you say it qualifies.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 12:48:00 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 01:05:40 pm »
+3

Design a Duration that is either "Now and at the start of your next turn" or "Either now or at the start of your next turn"; The card should not do other things - for example, Caravan wouldn't qualify as this, since it doesn't give +1 Action next turn; or Royal Galley (although it would if it also gave +1 Card on your next turn).

So for official cards, Lighthouse would count for the former, or Barge would count for the latter. A non-exhaustive and lazy list.

So would Caravan qualify if it was worded as "+1 Action. Now and at the start of your next turn, +1 Card."? Because Lighthouse also doesn't give +1 Action next turn, yet you say it qualifies.

this is what I get for just shooting from the hip with "yeah i remember that card" rather than reviewing on the wiki.

In its purest form, the idea is embodied by things like Merchant Ship and Wharf. As I said in the OP, i'm not gonna disqualify anything. Lighthouse would fail to qualify if I was going to strictly enforce that, but i'm a human and flexible, so it's asymmetric-turnwise +1 action is fine. I just don't want something that like... breaks up market over two turns, doing wildly different things on the Now and the Later, if that makes sense.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 01:06:09 pm »
+4

All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 06:01:05 pm »
+1

A mix of Blacksmith's choose-between-draws, Transport's messing with Exile, and Watchtower's on-gain interactions. Comes with a cost for allowing you to Exile VP though, and you can't just keep it in your hand like you can a Watchtower.
they/them

Joxeft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +103
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 06:47:18 pm »
+1

Dock - Project - Cost: 7

At the start of your Buy phase choose one: +$1; or put a token here and at the start of your turn remove it then +$1 and +1 Buy.

My previous submission.

(Edit 1 new submission)

Feedback is appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 02:08:45 pm by Joxeft »

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 08:02:43 pm »

At the start of you Buy phase choose one: +$1; or put a token here and at the start of your turn remove it and +$1.

Feedback is appreciated.

I don't think Dock should cost $7, considering that Canal costs the same.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 08:06:47 pm »
+3

Quote from: Expeditionist
Action - Duration $5
+2 Cards
Discard any number of cards.  Either now or at the start of your next turn: +1 Card per card you discarded.

Non-terminal draw, sifter or duration draw.  Tracking issues with the next turn effect could be managed using tokens of some sort.

Joxeft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 08:09:24 pm »
+1

At the start of you Buy phase choose one: +$1; or put a token here and at the start of your turn remove it and +$1.

Feedback is appreciated.

I don't think Dock should cost $7, considering that Canal costs the same.

Then what should it cost? In many games without +Buy this is (with a few exceptions) better than Canal. It guarantees a Key effect, and it can store it for a turn in advance, which is significant smoothing. True, it is less good in engines where you will gain several engine parts in one turn, but I believe that those only happen about half the time. Can it cost 6?

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2022, 08:10:25 pm »
+7

My Submission:

Postal Cart • $5 • Treasure - Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn: +1 Buy and +$1 per Postal Cart any player has in play.

My submission is Postal Cart, a scaling Treasure - Duration that pays off both this turn and next. It will tend to be more productive at the start of the turn. You will get credit for all the copies played each time (so 2 copies are worth $3 this turn, $4 next; 3 copies are worth $6 this turn, $9 next), and those still-in-play copies will also enhance the value of copies played that turn.

The phrasing "copies of Postal Cart in play" instead of "copies of Postal Cart you have in play" was intentional. Your copies sitting in play will increase the value of your opponent's, but you'll get that $ back on the following turn.

Old version:

Now and at the start of your next turn: +1 Buy and +$1 per Postal Cart in play.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 08:41:06 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2022, 08:18:32 pm »
+5

My Submission:

My submission is Postal Cart, a scaling Treasure - Duration that pays off both this turn and next. Your copies sitting in play will increase the value of your opponent's, but you'll get that $ back on the following turn.

Just to avoid misreadings, I'd suggest "+1 Buy and +$1 per Postal Cart anyone has in play" just to make it extra clear that the fact that it counts opponents' carts is intentional.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2022, 08:41:48 pm »

My Submission:

My submission is Postal Cart, a scaling Treasure - Duration that pays off both this turn and next. Your copies sitting in play will increase the value of your opponent's, but you'll get that $ back on the following turn.

Just to avoid misreadings, I'd suggest "+1 Buy and +$1 per Postal Cart anyone has in play" just to make it extra clear that the fact that it counts opponents' carts is intentional.

Thanks for the feedback. I've updated my entry.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2022, 11:30:18 pm »
+4

Traveling Inventor
Action - Duration - $5
Either now or at the start of your next turn, gain a card to your hand costing up to $4.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2022, 11:46:15 am »
+6

Recast is a Duration that Upgrades to hand on this turn and next. Excellent for trashing Coppers and turning Estates into $3s in the early game, but the uncertainty of your next turn's starting hand always makes it a bit of risk to play, especially as the game goes on. Usually you can get creative and find something beneficial to trash and gain, but be ready for some unfortunate draws too.

Galaxi

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: Galaxi
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2022, 12:03:48 pm »
+3

I found the idea of a wacky version of +2 actions, in the form of getting the extra action your next turn instead, quite compelling. Were considering different interesting effects to pair it with, but ended up liking the simplicity and supportive nature that +1 Buy gives the card.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2022, 01:42:05 pm »

Wayfinder
Action - Duration $4

Now and at the start of your next turn:

Look at the top 4 cards of your deck. Discard any number of them and put the rest back in any order.

-A duration deck inspector. Can this get away at 4 or does it need cost 5? I am comparing it to Navigator and Night Watchmen.

Joxeft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2022, 02:10:55 pm »

My submission has been updated again.

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2022, 02:30:03 pm »
+3

I found the idea of a wacky version of +2 actions, in the form of getting the extra action your next turn instead, quite compelling. Were considering different interesting effects to pair it with, but ended up liking the simplicity and supportive nature that +1 Buy gives the card.
Wow, I was just thinking of doing that entry myself - a next-turn worker's village. But you beat me to it :)

Also, welcome to the forums!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 02:31:11 pm by infangthief »

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2022, 06:28:34 pm »
+1

Lamb

Action - Duration - Reaction
Now, or at the start of your next turn, +2 Cards and +1 Buy.
____
When you gain a card, you may play this from your hand.

Comments: A mini-Barge with the fun of Sheepdog. It can be played when drawn dead making it similar to Den of Sin Thieves (except that you’ll need to gain a card, which is a small limitation). It doesn’t come with Den of Sin’s powerful on-gain bonus (which is typically at least as good as buying Expedition, a $3 event), but you can’t have it all!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 11:24:12 pm by JW »

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2022, 07:22:27 pm »
+2

Desperado
Action - Duration ($3)

Either now or at the start of your next turn:
+4 Cards
Reveal your hand. Discard 1 card per Treasure card revealed.

FAQ: The revealing and discarding part happens on the same turn you choose to draw the 4 cards. That might be obvious, but there's some clarification in case it isn't.

A sort of mishmash of Barge and Poor House. Drawing this turn will let you play the card again next turn, but taking it next turn could reduce how much you have to discard. Either way, you're definitely gonna want some trashing around.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2022, 08:29:32 pm »

Buttinski
$4 - Action - Duration - Attack
Now and at the start of next turn: +$1 and you may trash a card from your hand.
Until the start of your next turn, when any player trashes a card, they gain a Silver.

Should this be an attack?
FAQ: When you trash a card on the turn you play this, you gain a Silver. When you trash a card on the second turn, you don't.

thesaurus.com gave me this name.
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/buttinsky
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 08:35:26 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2022, 09:06:24 pm »
+2

Lamb

Action - Duration - Reaction
Now, or at the start of your next turn, +2 Cards and +1 Buy.
____
When you gain a card, you may play this from your hand.

Comments: A mini-Barge with the fun of Sheepdog. It can be played when drawn dead making it similar to Den of Thieves (except that you’ll need to gain a card, which is a small limitation). It doesn’t come with Den of Thieves’ powerful on-gain bonus (which is typically at least as good as buying Expedition, a $3 event), but you can’t have it all!

I think you mean Den of Sin, not Den of Thieves, as there's no such thing as the latter card.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2022, 10:49:40 am »
+3

Churn
Action/Duration - $3
Now, at the start of your next turn, or both (decide now), +2 Actions, +$2, discard 2 cards

Edit: Changed the card from trashing to discarding
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 06:11:06 pm by NoMoreFun »

Galaxi

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: Galaxi
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2022, 11:26:21 am »
+1

Inferno
Action/Duration - $4
Now, at the start of your next turn, or both (you must decide now), trash 2 cards from your hand for +$1.
By "trash 2 cards from your hand for +$1", do you mean "+$1 and trash 2 cards from your hand"?

Really like the card btw :) (at least if I understood it correctly)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 20 queries.