Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Prosperity 2E  (Read 11492 times)

Oyvind

• Golem
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
Re: Prosperity 2E
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2022, 03:55:57 am »

I just want to explain what I meant. I don’t wish for the nine cards I mentioned to be removed, but it seems like several people believe that. I just stated which nine cards I think would be removed, assuming, hopefully erroneously, that the number of cards would remain at 300. I like Holger’s idea to just include the nine new cards without subtracting any existing ones. I’m crossing my fingers for that.

Imrahil3

• Bishop
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2022, 09:30:46 am »
+3

Oh, I’m sorry man, I didn’t mean to call out anyone in particular. I just meant that I don’t like people saying “Finally! We can get rid off X terrible card,” and then it’s something fun and useful that just happens to not always be the best card for optimal play.

I don’t have any issues with guessing what’s gonna go or being excited for new cards

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2022, 09:45:00 am »

I don't think it's too unlikely the expansion is just getting bigger you might even say that it's expanding... you might even say that it's Expanding, based on what we know about Seaside 2E.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2022, 01:35:02 pm »
+12

Prosperity 2E has 300 cards, like Prosperity 1E.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2022, 03:20:42 pm »

The first eight cards that will be cut seem reasonably clear to me, most of which are typically quite weak: Loan, Trade Route, Talisman, Contraband, Counting House, Mountebank, Royal Seal, and Venture.

Among the three most powerful cards in the set, only Mountebank seems likely to go. The other two, Goons and King’s Court, tend to make for interesting games even if they are dominant. Loan is fine power level wise but it can feel bad such as when it hits a treasure you wanted to draw instead.

I think Mint is a likely ninth card that gets cut: even though it makes for interesting strategy, there are few other cards that can destroy your whole deck with a single buy if you are not careful, and sometimes drawing a five copper hand early (but usually not in the opening) is a huge advantage with Mint.

Donald has not used earlier second editions to do errata that completely changes how a card plays in typical situations (e.g., the Masquerade errata stopped the "pin" but had little other impact). So, I do not expect to see that happen here either.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2022, 06:14:15 pm »
+6

9 cards is pretty excessive and just like with Seaside, the cuts also include cards that aren't turning the games into 9-card kingdoms 99.99% of the time. Not sure how I feel about this, but we will see when the 2nd editions actually release.

Anyway, my predictions from most likely to least likely. The first three are cards that we can miss easily without replacements that replicate those cards. For the rest, removing seems a pretty bold move.
1. Royal Seal: This is just a boring card that is extremely unreliable at being anything more than just a $5 costing Silver. While this was always weak, Way of the Seal and Bauble make this thing look incredibly stupid.
2. Trade Route: A very poor trasher, very poor source of +Buy, and Forager does whatever this card tries to achieve insurmountably better. It also doesn't help that this card is super wordy and requires additional tokens.
3. Contraband: This card has a penalty that makes this card borderline unusable in pretty much any board, unless your opponent is really missing your strategy. As a source of +Buy, it is also pretty much the worst as its penalty completely negates the ability to bypass the dreaded one-province-per-turn limit. (and generally, a $5 gold just isn't interesting these days)
4. Venture: This is a card that used to be regarded quite fondly, but just has no place anymore these days. It is completely useless with draw, and it is also pretty bad without Copper trashing. And even outsite of these cases, it is still rather unimpressive. And of course, comparing favorably to Adventurer no longer counts.
5. Loan: This card isn't too bad, but becomes pretty luck based as soon as a second Treasure that you don't wanna get rid of enters your deck. And what does this trasher bring on table that other trashers don't? It is also the card that Donald X originally considered as "the only dud of Prosperity".
6. Hoard: It is a fine card, albeit on the uninteresting side. The real kicker against this card is that it is almost exclusively useable in Province games; a really bad feat for a Prosperity card.
7. Counting House: It is part of the utterly obscene combo called Counting House + Travelling Fair, which some consider to be the strongest synergy within the entirety of Dominion. But does it ever get used outside of that scenario? Prior to Adventures, the answer is yes (but very sparsely), and it was satisfying to massacre unsuspecting players with this, but nowadays it really doesn't seem to be.
8. Goons: This card is a pretty frustrating to play against, as the handsize attack causes makes it difficult to come back when falling behind. Another thing to consider is that fact that Donald X wants to retcon the use of "While this is in play" out of existence. While the solution is trivial in most cases, Goons's in-play effect really shouldn't be Throneable.
9. Mountebank: I've never really had much problems with this card. But it is not very Prosperity-y and if there is another Curser in store for 2E, then this one should go. And yes, handing out 2 junk cards on a singular play is excessive, as is being able to junk even when the Curse pile is depleted.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 06:27:45 pm by grrgrrgrr »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2022, 07:05:58 am »

Well if goons gets replaced I’ll just throw out the entire prosperity expansion, it’s the only card I like from that expansion. Okay I’m going overboard, I do like a lot of cards in the expansion. But goons is in my top 10 most favorite dominion cards. And honestly I’m just not big on the big money strategy. I have no problems getting 24$ and several buys in the dark ages expansion on its own and it’s much more fun to combo your way from the ground up then it is throwing a couple platinums and a bank instead. Personally these are the cards I want to see replaced.

1. Trade route - At first I liked it, probably because of the mat.  but now I don’t.

2. Mint- I’ve always hated this card. Most hated card. Besides there are other expansions that do this without the buy penalty.

3. Royal seal - there’s several cards like this but better. And I’m not fond of it.

4. Venture - reminds me of adventurer from the base game, and they of course removed that a long time ago, it’s time for this one to join its predecessor. This is my second most hated card.

5. Forge- I just think this card is so-so

I guess I could also see them replacing these as well but I would hate to see them go.

6. Loan - I absolutely hated this at first, but now I do enjoy playing with it.

7. Counting house - it’s a weaker copper strategy to be sure. But I can see them replacing since it doesn’t work with most of the synergies in this expansion. It only works with forge, it’s only real synergy. I guess it’s okay with the bank, but then so are most of the other cards.

8. Talisman - it’s a good one. But there’s lots of other cards like this so it’s nothing special. Not that they can all be special.

9. Contraband - I really like this it’s an interactive card. No attack involved. But it can really hinder you if play this several times in the same turn. And so you likely won’t empty this pile out.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2022, 09:05:45 am »
+5

I'll be sad to see Contraband go, that is a fun piece of interaction. It should probably have gone into a set that had Events though, the presence of Events makes Contraband much more usable.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2022, 01:40:31 pm »
+6

The obvious Loan/Venture solution is to just combine the two cards. Their wording is already almost identical. Just switch it to "discard, trash or play it".

This fixes basically all the issues brought up about Loan. And it can make Venture useful even in a treasureless engine.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2022, 03:31:55 pm »
+10

2. Mint- I’ve always hated this card. Most hated card. Besides there are other expansions that do this without the buy penalty.

The below-the-line thing is not a penalty, it's the effect. You get to trash five Coppers for $5, that's a very strong effect. The penalty is that the effect comes with a junk card you have to take as well (the Mint).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2022, 01:23:37 am »

Mint isn’t just about the trashing. I also am not fond of the action too. Even without the trashing effect I still wouldn’t bother playing it very often, maybe one per game, however the trashing effect to gain completely lowers its usefulness. And it’s not like you would buy it using golds or playing golds now would you? No because it’s not worth it. However if the action gave you something useful like victory tokens or it was worth victory points then yeah I’ll trash any treasures to obtain it. But for an action that I consider mediocre and then the trashing effect to is like adding poison to a plain old loaf of bread. Like I said there are other cards similar to mint but without that trashing effect. In fact there’s one in menagerie that’s ten times better. Kiln. It has the same cost. But it gives you 2$ and you can gain a copy of any card the next time you play it. And wait it doesn’t have that awful trashing effect either.  And if you really like the trashing effect so much the count from dark ages can trash with basically the same effect, and you can even mitigate what you do as well as choose another option, plus it’s also way more rewarding trashing cards in the dark ages expansion.

So the way I see it. Both kiln and count make mint obsolete! They both do it 10 times better. They both cost the same and they both give better rewards! I absolutely love the count and as for kiln it’s a good card. But it’s time for mint to join the removed cards list. If they are serious about making changes to prosperity, then mint needs to go, and make way for newer ideas kind of like they did with the Allies and menagerie expansions. New ideas galore!

My most hated card in existence!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2022, 01:46:09 am »
+10

Mint isn’t just about the trashing. I also am not fond of the action too. Even without the trashing effect I still wouldn’t bother playing it very often, maybe one per game, however the trashing effect to gain completely lowers its usefulness. And it’s not like you would buy it using golds or playing golds now would you? No because it’s not worth it. However if the action gave you something useful like victory tokens or it was worth victory points then yeah I’ll trash any treasures to obtain it. But for an action that I consider mediocre and then the trashing effect to is like adding poison to a plain old loaf of bread. Like I said there are other cards similar to mint but without that trashing effect. In fact there’s one in menagerie that’s ten times better. Kiln. It has the same cost. But it gives you 2$ and you can gain a copy of any card the next time you play it. And wait it doesn’t have that awful trashing effect either.  And if you really like the trashing effect so much the count from dark ages can trash with basically the same effect, and you can even mitigate what you do as well as choose another option, plus it’s also way more rewarding trashing cards in the dark ages expansion.

So the way I see it. Both kiln and count make mint obsolete! They both do it 10 times better. They both cost the same and they both give better rewards! I absolutely love the count and as for kiln it’s a good card. But it’s time for mint to join the removed cards list. If they are serious about making changes to prosperity, then mint needs to go, and make way for newer ideas kind of like they did with the Allies and menagerie expansions. New ideas galore!

My most hated card in existence!

Are you under the impression that Chapel is a weak card unless the board happens to have a curser? You seem to be missing the whole point of what Awaclus said... trashing 5 Coppers at once is a very strong effect. Even if Mint did nothing at all when you played it, it would still be a good buy a lot of the time. Yes the on-play effect is bad, but it's just a tiny bonus to what is already a great on-buy effect. It's like saying Border Village is weak because Village already gives you the same effect for only instead of , and that the on-gain effect of Border Village just makes it worse because now you're forced to take another card and maybe you didn't want another card.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2022, 02:18:53 am »
+7

The play effect of Mint is situational but not weak. You often need payload after getting rid of those Coppers and besides Kiln and Treasurer, Mint is the only non-Remodel Platinum gainer in the game.
*cough* Tragic Hero *cough*
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2022, 07:19:18 am »
+1

Even if Mint did nothing at all when you played it, it would still be a good buy a lot of the time.

That is honestly not even too far from being the case as it is. It happens that you buy Mint when you don't have the +actions to play it, and the effect is not worth adding the +actions, so you'll never play it. It also happens that you buy it when you don't have any Treasures that are better than nothing, and there's better stuff to do than to buy such Treasures, and again you'll never play the Mint. It also happens that you buy it when you potentially could use it for a small benefit like gaining a Gold, but before your draws line up that way, the Mint lines up with another trasher and you'd rather just take that opportunity to get rid of the Mint, so you do, and you never play it.

Just gaining a Gold is a very disappointing way to spend an action, and for Mint to do that, you first have to have a Gold which is a very disappointing way to spend $6 and a buy, and it needs to line up. If you do happen to have the extra action and the Gold in your hand, getting the free Gold is a nice small bonus, or even getting a Silver can sometimes be better than nothing, but generally you should be trying to do something better than that, even when you get the Mint for free alongside your underpriced two-and-a-half Bonfires.

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2022, 07:29:12 am »
+1

7. Counting house - it’s a weaker copper strategy to be sure. But I can see them replacing since it doesn’t work with most of the synergies in this expansion. It only works with forge, it’s only real synergy. I guess it’s okay with the bank, but then so are most of the other cards.
I am curious, what's the Counting House + Forge synergy?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2022, 10:05:49 am »
+1

Counting House can get a bunch of Coppers into your hand at once, so that Forge can trash them all at once.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2022, 10:15:01 am »
+7

The play effect of Mint is situational but not weak. You often need payload after getting rid of those Coppers and besides Kiln and Treasurer, Mint is the only non-Remodel Platinum gainer in the game.
also regular hero

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2022, 10:16:46 am »
+7

Counting House can get a bunch of Coppers into your hand at once, so that Forge can trash them all at once.

You could just buy a Mint.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2022, 11:38:26 am »

If it weren't so far from April 1st, I'd suspect ClouduHieh was trolling us. Honestly I'm still not sure that isn't the case.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2022, 12:00:00 pm »
+1

If it weren't so far from April 1st, I'd suspect ClouduHieh was trolling us. Honestly I'm still not sure that isn't the case.

I'm pretty sure he's serious. Given his thoughts a few years ago, it's not surprising he wouldn't be a fan of Mint for its on-buy ability:
Sure a lot of people like to get rid of there starting cards. I’m not one of them.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2022, 12:12:09 pm »
+3

I'm pretty sure he's serious. Given his thoughts a few years ago, it's not surprising he wouldn't be a fan of Mint for its on-buy ability:
Sure a lot of people like to get rid of there starting cards. I’m not one of them.

Then what IS the Counting House + Forge synergy??

*Edit* Oh, I know! You play Forge, trashing nothing. This lets you gain a card costing exactly , so you can gain a Copper, which makes your Counting House better!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 12:16:23 pm by GendoIkari »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2022, 12:52:01 pm »
+2

Oh man I did not remember that thread at all, even though I participated in it quite a bit. Having some serious Gunpowder flashbacks.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2022, 10:14:46 am »
+1

Also Specialist
They/them

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2022, 11:55:47 pm »

He also tried to make a card to replace Mint in the "design a card for a hypothetical 2E expansion" WDC.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2022, 12:37:01 am »

I wonder whether 2E will change the "recommended" method for deciding whether to use Platinum/Colony.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.