Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Week 36: A Different State To Start In  (Read 2120 times)

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
Fan Card Mechanics Week 36: A Different State To Start In
« on: May 04, 2022, 06:25:58 pm »
+2

I am going to mix things up a little for the week 36 challenge. I do not have a mechanic with a name. It is something I have tried to implement in a couple previous weekly design challenges, but it could very well be its own mechanic. Update: I am going with "Origin" as the term for this particular subset of States. You can stick with using State for the landscape card as the examples below show and still be valid though.

EXAMPLES

[

The challenge: Design a State that each player starts the game with. You do not have to make a Kingdom card (or other card shaped thing like an Event) to go along with it if you don't want to or if it is not necessary. A randomizer can always be used to simply have each player start with the State, or it can be decided to use one when setting up the game. If anyone has a good idea for a name for this mechanic, I am open to suggestions.

UPDATE: I am going with the suggestion from infangthief and calling this subset of States "Origins". Your entry is still valid if you stay with States, this is mainly for flavor and to differentiate them from the standard States.

All official mechanics and fan mechanics are fair game. I will be judging based on my own preferences, but I will try to be as fair as I can. Factors I try to look at are simplicity of design, thought provoking design/mechanics, flavorful name/concept, and balance/playability.

I will be giving a 24 hour warning a week from yesterday and then close it the following day. Ideally I will have judging done and posted by the end of Wednesday next week. I hope it is alright I am deviating a bit from the normal structure of these challenges, but had trouble coming up with something. Hope you have fun!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 10:46:38 pm by Xen3k »

Joxeft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +103
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Week 36: A Different State To Start In
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 08:31:19 pm »
+3

My previous submission.

(Edit 3 more discarding on Traped In The Woods)
(Edit 4 new submission)
Feedback is appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 06:36:54 pm by Joxeft »

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 05:37:49 am »
+2

Budget
4-debt Event
Origin: Frugal.

+1 Buy
If you have Frugal, return it and play the cards under it. Otherwise +$6 and take Frugal.
Frugal
Origin

At the start of your Buy phase choose one: +$1; or reveal a Treasure from your hand and set it aside under this.
You may not buy cards costing more than $4.

EDIT 5th May: added the "reveal" to Frugal's text to keep you honest.

The Budget event swaps you between frugality and a spending spree.
Starting Frugal messes with your opening decisions in interesting ways.
You may even want to stay Frugal the whole game if there are enough interesting things to do without going above $4 (Familiar? Gardens? Dominate? Bridge?).

EDIT 9th May: changed to "Origin" terminology.

The standard rules say you can't play any more Treasures after you've bought a card or event. But I don't think there are any problems with Budget overriding that.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 12:48:42 pm by infangthief »

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 05:59:27 am »
+2

If anyone has a good idea for a name for this mechanic, I am open to suggestions.
How about "Origin"?

As I understand it, this is mostly just a subset of the official States mechanic; all the examples/entries so far do not require any new fan mechanic.

The advantages of coming up with a newly named mechanic here would be:
  • you don't need to include "Setup: Each player takes <State>." on a card, just in the rules. (Maybe you would need an "heirloom" type banner instead?)
  • as you hinted, a State could be included without anything else refering to it. (It would be referred to by a randomizer which doesn't take up a card/landscape slot.)

Joxeft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 08:04:57 am »

My submission has been updated.

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 08:46:51 am »
+1

Feedback is appreciated.
First turn of the game you just return Trapped in the Woods and do nothing else? Can't buy anything that turn anyway. Unless you have a helpful heirloom.
Awful to open 5/2 when your opponent has 2/5...

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 12:05:52 pm »
+3

Baroness • $3 • Action
You may discard a Victory card. If you did, +$3, and if it was a Duchy, +2 Buys.
Origin: Fracture
Fracture • Origin
When you gain a Duchy, you may return this to gain an additional Duchy.

I went ahead and made it an Origin like infangthief suggested. kept the state colors, bc that's easier than doing math to figure out a good new color for a landscape.

Baroness is a Baron variant. Hey it doesn't clutter your deck up! but also, it doesn't get you free VPs, not on its own anyway, and it doesn't give you +Buys by default.

Fracture is a right-click synonym for Balkanization, which as far as words go, is too directly tied to a real place for me to feel not-weird about putting it a board game with a fantasy setting, no matter how lowercase the 'f' in fantasy is. It implies something like marriage to the Baroness but it tears the landholdings she stewards apart. a little picofiction.

Joxeft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 06:23:49 pm »

My submission has been updated.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 09:33:00 am by Joxeft »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 06:41:42 pm »
+5

My Submission:

Thrifty • State
When you buy a card, you may return this for +$3.

Town Square • $5 • Action
+3 Cards
Discard a card. If it was an...
Action card, +1 Action
Treasure card, +1 Buy

Setup: Each player takes Thrifty.

My submission is Thrifty and Town Square. Thrifty is a virtual Spoils that each player starts with, but which can only be cashed in after you buy a card, meaning that it will (generally) require some source of +buy to use. Town Square is a potential source of such a +buy, ensuring that Thrifty can be used.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 10:40:05 pm »
+4

If anyone has a good idea for a name for this mechanic, I am open to suggestions.
How about "Origin"?

As I understand it, this is mostly just a subset of the official States mechanic; all the examples/entries so far do not require any new fan mechanic.

The advantages of coming up with a newly named mechanic here would be:
  • you don't need to include "Setup: Each player takes <State>." on a card, just in the rules. (Maybe you would need an "heirloom" type banner instead?)
  • as you hinted, a State could be included without anything else refering to it. (It would be referred to by a randomizer which doesn't take up a card/landscape slot.)

I like the this idea. I will update the first post with this. Entries can still use "State" and be valid entries.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2022, 02:23:07 am »
+3

A double-sided Origin because that seemed fun! [Color for this Origin is .95, 1.3, 1.35 by the way] Twice-per-game benefit that's less powerful the second time you use it. The card it comes with is pretty cool too, being the Scrap of discard-for-benefit and acting like a Fugitive in its worst-case scenario. Might even be worth it to go for a Warehouse with 1 more sifted card. There's a lot of things you can do with an Old Farm... given you have the Cards to make use of it, at least.

Edit: I just realized this is close to the color for Ways aaaaaaaaaa
too lazy to update so uh someone else come up with a color for this
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 02:27:40 am by Augie279 »
they/them

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2022, 05:58:21 pm »

Old Farm, while not being strictly better than Vault, is nonetheless far better than it.

Vault's a weak card so I think this is fine. Besides, they fill different niches, especially since this only lets you discard 1 card for a coin per Old Farm played.
they/them

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2022, 08:49:12 pm »
+5

Art Gallery
$4 - Action - Victory
+2 Cards.
Discard a card to gain a Silver.
-
Worth 1VP for every two Silvers in the trash.
Origin: Appreciation
I like Augie's idea of the 2-sided origin/state.

Appreciation
Origin / State
If you have any unspent $ at the end of your buy phase, you may trash a Treasure you have in play to gain a Treasure costing up to $3 more than it.
Whenever you have $10 or more during your buy phase, flip this over.

Depreciation
State
When you play a Silver, trash it and return this.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 08:58:32 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 08:09:50 pm by Xen3k »

Joxeft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2022, 06:06:53 pm »

(my submission has been updated)

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2022, 12:11:35 pm »
+2

Submissions Closed

I'll work to get results out today or tomorrow.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2022, 10:58:00 pm »
+4

Fan Card Mechanics Week 36: A Different State To Start In
Thank you to everyone who participated in this design challenge. I know this was a bit odd for a Fan Card Mechanic Challenge, but I hope you enjoyed it. I certainly enjoyed seeing all of your wonderful designs.

To the entries!

Results

Wheat Field/Drought by Joxeft
Wheat Field - $3
Treasure
+$3
-----
(BURN): Return Drought
Origin: Drought
Drought
Origin
When you play a Wheat Field and you have this, gain a Ruins.
Judgement
Wheat Field is a cheap Gold. Drought acts as a balance for Wheat Field by giving you Ruins every time you play a Wheat Field. Wheat Field has the Burn ability which can be used to get rid of Drought. I like the simplicity of the interaction between each component. Wheat Field is basically a purchasable Cursed Gold that gives you a Ruins instead of a Curse. The ability to get rid of the Ruins gain at the cost of a Wheat Field is a great effect, but I feel it may be too much a "correct" choice to always Burn your first Wheat Field to get rid of Drought. Would like to try it out. Good job.

Budget/Frugal by infangthief
Budget - 4-debt
Event
+1 Buy
If you have Frugal, return it and play the cards under it. Otherwise +$6 and take Frugal.
Origin: Frugal
Frugal
Origin
At the start of your Buy phase choose one: +$1; or reveal a Treasure from your hand and set it aside under this.
You may not buy cards costing more than $4.
Judgement
Frugal is a really cool Origin/State. The deck thinning that doubles as payload building, the bonus coin, and the buy limit all work very well together. Budget is a cool Event that lets you take or return Frugal for various effects. Returning Frugal lets you play all the treasures you have been storing away for a nice payload and taking Frugal amounts to +$2 due to the Debt cost of the Event. Great use of the Origin/State and good use of Debt with the Event.

Baroness/Fracture by spineflu
Baroness • $3 • Action
You may discard a Victory card. If you did, +$3, and if it was a Duchy, +2 Buys.
Origin: Fracture
Fracture • Origin
When you gain a Duchy, you may return this to gain an additional Duchy.

Judgement
Fracture is a one-shot Duchy gain when you gain a Duchy. The interesting thing about it is how it can set up Baroness, but even if you never Buy a Baroness it still poses the question of when you pop it for the Duchy. I really like Baron, so seeing a Baron variant is a treat. I like that it is still usable even if you do not use Fracture early on, and the bonus if you discard a Duchy with it is very nice.

Town Square/Thrifty by emtzalex
Town Square • $5 • Action
+3 Cards
Discard a card. If it was an...
Action card, +1 Action
Treasure card, +1 Buy

Setup: Each player takes Thrifty.
Thrifty • State
When you buy a card, you may return this for +$3.
Judgement
Thrifty is a one-shot Spoils, but only can be used after buying a card. This is a smart way to limit its' use early game. Town Square is a Stables variant that can be a source for the needed +Buy or be non-terminal. Discarding after drawing makes seem a bit better than Stables, but not strictly so. Thrifty ends up being an interesting modifier to the game, much like Heirlooms, and Town Square ensures Thrifty can always be relevant even with its limitations. Good design.

Old Farm/Energized/Winding Down by Augie279
Old Farm - $5
Action
+2 Cards
Discard any number of cards.
Per card discarded, choose a different thing: +1 Action, or +1 Buy, or +$1, or gain a Silver, or +2 Cards and discard 2 cards.
Origin: Energized
Energized
Origin
Directly after playing a card, you may flip this over for +2 Actions or +2 Buys.
Winding Down
Origin
Directly after playing a card, you may return this for +1 Action or +1 Buy.
Judgement
Energized/Winding Down is a two-shot Origin/State that has a diminishing effect. It provides actions or buys on demand, so while there is no real way to capitalize on its effect, it provides great utility. I really like the idea of double sided Origins. Old Farm is a fun looking Vault variant that looks like it got mixed up with Scrap. Much like the Origin, it is a solid utility card that appear to always be useful. Great designs!

Art Gallery/Appreciation/Depreciation by LibraryAdventurer
Art Gallery
$4 - Action - Victory
+2 Cards.
Discard a card to gain a Silver.
-
Worth 1VP for every two Silvers in the trash.
Origin: Appreciation
Appreciation
Origin / State
If you have any unspent $ at the end of your buy phase, you may trash a Treasure you have in play to gain a Treasure costing up to $3 more than it.
Whenever you have $10 or more during your buy phase, flip this over.
Depreciation
State
When you play a Silver, trash it and return this.
Judgement
Appreciation/Depreciation is a really interesting double sided Origin/State. While it is on Appreciation, it acts as a free Mine at the end of your Buy phase as long as you have unspent coin. This will automatically push players to go big money, but if you ever have $10 or more during your buy phase you flip it to Depreciation, which basically trashes the next Silver you play and then goes away. I am a huge fan of Mines effect, so I really like how this Origin is designed. I think players can work around the $10 cap pretty easily up until late game. The really cool thing is how this interacts with Art Gallery, which seems to be a Feodum variant. The big difference is that Art Gallery gets better with Silvers in the trash and is an Action that draws cards and gains you Silver. I would have to play with it to get a complete feel for it, but Art Gallery seems pretty dang strong. It is a terminal draw 2, so not a no brainer buy like Great Hall, but it does gain you Silvers that the Origin can turn into Gold. Really cool design that makes me think. I want to try this out. Good job.

I really had trouble choosing the winner. I think each and every entry was a solid design. Good job to everyone!

Runner-Up
Art Gallery/Appreciation/Depreciation by LibraryAdventurer

Winner
Budget/Frugal by infangthief

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2022, 04:47:39 am »
+2

Thank you Xen3k! And good detailed judgement comments.

I have an idea for a mechanism for the next one, will try to get it posted later today.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.