Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #150: Half!  (Read 6329 times)

Joxeft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +103
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #150: Half!
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2022, 03:57:32 pm »

My submission has been updated.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2022, 06:50:58 pm »
+4

Test Site • $5 • Action
+$3

You may pay up to half of your $ to for the same number
of +Actions.

You may pay up to half of your remaining $ for the same number of +Cards.

(Round down for both.)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2022, 07:09:34 pm »
+6

Gatherer - $5
Action

+2 Cards
This turn, directly after you play an Action from a Supply pile that is at most half empty, +1 Action.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2022, 10:24:50 pm »

Parade
Project ($3)

At the end of your Buy phase, you may pay any amount of $ to draw extra cards for your next hand at a rate of 1 card per $2 spent.

Not 100% sure about the price, I put it at $3 since its effect seems similar enough to Pageant to warrant it. Feedback appreciated (especially regarding price).
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2022, 12:00:27 am »
+1

Semi-simple alt-VP that uses Garrison's Token thing because that has so much potential for cards.

I like the token-on-card mechanic as well, and agree it has a lot of potential.

I think this card might be a little on the weak side. The obvious comparison is Distant Lands (an Action - Victory card that only becomes worth VP if it is played). Investment costs more than DL, but is worth fewer VP unless it is played at least 8 turns before the game ends, and is only worth more if it is played 10 turns before. This seems tough to achieve for buying a $6 card and playing it.

The only other difference is that this stays in play instead of going on the Tavern mat. While that could be a benefit for Peddler, Horn of Plenty, Pilgrimage, Emporium, Grand Castle, Colonnade, Magic Lamp, Leprechaun, or Changeling, it is a disadvantage for Conclave, Imp, Sunken Treasure, Tormentor, and Stampede. That split may favor Investment a little, but I'm not sure it's enough to justify it costing more than DL.

Notable concern, but what if your opponent who buys this also doesn't challenge Province? Should leave a good amount of turns for this to accumulate VP, especially since it's not capped. Hesitated making it $5 for that reason.
they/them

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2022, 10:42:52 am »
+4

Quote from: Bookshop
+1 Action
+$1
If this is the first time you played a Bookshop this turn, +1 Card and +1 Buy.
+1 Card per $2 you have (round down)

Unlike with Storyteller, you do not lose your coins when you play Bookshop.
The first Bookshop you play will be a Market.  The next two (assuming you don't play other cards that give +$1) will be Peddlers, and only the fourth will increase your hand size.  So it takes work to get decent draw out them if you only intend to stack Bookshops, but the card will synergize well with other cards that give $ during your Action phase or the start of your turn.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 10:45:19 am by Timinou »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2022, 11:41:46 am »
+2

I'd cut lines 3-5. Makes the card much simpler, and it's probably still strong enough to be playable.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2022, 11:48:23 am »

Gatherer - $5
Action

+2 Cards
This turn, directly after you play an Action from a Supply pile that is at most half empty, +1 Action.
Is this supposed to give a bonus  if the Action pile has at least 5 cards (parsing the condition as "(at most half) empty") or no more than 5 cards ("(at most) (half empty)")?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2022, 01:24:32 pm »
+1

Is this supposed to give a bonus  if the Action pile has at least 5 cards (parsing the condition as "(at most half) empty") or no more than 5 cards ("(at most) (half empty)")?
The former. Is this not sufficiently clear? There is enough space for rewording but I felt it was understandable this way.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2022, 07:53:09 pm »
+1

The former. Is this not sufficiently clear? There is enough space for rewording but I felt it was understandable this way.

I also had that confusion at first when I read it, so maybe you could instead say "This turn, directly after playing an Action from a Supply pile with at least half its cards, +1 Action."?
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2022, 07:33:00 am »
+1

Edit 1:
Edit 2:
Added once per turn and another suggestions per others ideas.

No idea if this is OP, UP, or whatever. I added the stipulation that only cards that cost 1 or more get trashed, so it doesnt just become a "trash the coppers for free!"

Description:

Card/event: revolution. 0$

Once per turn: +1 Buy. Trash half of your cards in play that can be trashed and that cost $1 or more (round up). Discard all cards you have in play, and return to your action phase.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 03:56:48 pm by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

Holger

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2022, 07:36:27 am »

I also had that confusion at first when I read it, so maybe you could instead say "This turn, directly after playing an Action from a Supply pile with at least half its cards, +1 Action."?

Yes, or directly say "at least 5 cards". There's only a dozen or so Action card piles that don't have exactly 10 cards, so it wouldn't make that much of a difference.

For me, the combination of "at most" with a negative ("empty") is somewhat ambiguous, though you could of course clarify it in an FAQ. It's a similar problem to Saboteur's wording, where "at most $2 less" could be interpreted in two ways.

Holger

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2022, 07:57:41 am »
+1

No idea if this is OP, UP, or whatever. I added the stipulation that only cards that cost 1 or more get trashed, so it doesnt just become a "trash the coppers for free!"

Description:

+1 Buy: Trash half of your cards in play (that cost $1 or more). Discard all cards you have in play, and return to your action phase.

That's an interesting idea.  :)

I don't think it's overpowered since it can't trash Coppers, Estates, Curses or Ruins (the cards you want to trash most often). In the very late game it can be very strong to trash half your good cards to get kind of an extra turn (or even several). Otherwise it seems more situational...

IMO, there shouldn't be a bracket around "that cost $1 or more", as that is not an explanation, but an important condition on what can be trashed.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2022, 08:47:43 am »
+1

Description:

+1 Buy: Trash half of your cards in play (that cost $1 or more). Discard all cards you have in play, and return to your action phase.
Usually, everything is rounded down in Dominion, but that does not work here: You could always use Revolution to discard a single Action you have in play and thus easily generate loops. So I think this at least needs some rounding up condition.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2022, 08:48:45 am »
+2

Also the Fortress combo probably kills this card.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2022, 09:43:32 am »
+3

Well it certainly doesn't kill the Fortress :-)

Holger

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2022, 09:43:57 am »
+2

You could salvage it by restricting it to "once per turn". Then no loops are possible, and the combo with Fortress would at most give you a "double turn".

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2022, 11:03:44 am »
+2

Cost reduction could also be a problem if it can make the cards you have played worth 0. Potentially you could go on forever. That would also be fixed by limiting it to once per turn.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2022, 03:47:16 pm »
+2

I really think this is an interesting card! I feel like $3 might be better. If there's an excellent card you want to lock your opponents out of (a trasher, or a +buy), you essentially raise the cost of that card by $4 for your opponents which seems a little steep. $3 feels better that way.

Very excellent design that it provides +buy and can also rotate, otherwise I could perpetually lock my opponent out the only +buy on board.

One cool use of this is ending the game -- if there are 4 rats left i can buy one of these to eliminate 2 rats from the Rats pile by putting them on top of another pile. For that, you might consider changing it to "once per turn."

UltimateGeek

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2022, 04:19:28 pm »
+3

$3 Event: Debt Relief
Once per game: +2 Buys. Return up to 8 debt.
Cards this turn cost half their $, rounded down.
-
You may buy this despite having debt.

Edit:
1.1 - Changed debt forgiveness to returning up to 8 debt tokens
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 01:02:36 pm by UltimateGeek »

Joxeft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +103
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2022, 04:25:03 pm »

Once per game: +2 Buys. Your debt is forgiven.
-

Your debt is forgiven what do you mean.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 04:27:49 pm by Joxeft »

Holger

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2022, 04:55:37 pm »
+3

-

I assume "Your debt is forgiven" means you just return all your Debt tokens to the supply?

Debt relief is a must-buy even in games without debt, as it's essentially a one-shot Fortune.

It could be problematic in combination with Mountain Pass: No player may want to buy the 1st Province, since the other player could bid 40 and then buy Debt Relief on their next turn, to effectively gain 8VP for a cost of at most $3 (and having to use the once-per-game effect at a possibly suboptimal time). Maybe restrict it to returning 8 debt (the most you can get in games without Mountain Pass)?

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2022, 05:12:48 pm »
+4

I am a busier than I expected to be, so I’ll close this contest on Tuesday, just after 5 pm UTC (not midnight UTC on Monday night as I had initially said), with judging on Tuesday or Wednesday. The deadline has been updated in the original post too.

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2022, 04:48:35 am »

-

I really like the above-the-line bit. I think this event is interesting enough just with that, perhaps a bit cheaper (and with Holger's suggestion of capping it at 8⬣.

UltimateGeek

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2022, 01:04:50 pm »
+1

I assume "Your debt is forgiven" means you just return all your Debt tokens to the supply?

Debt relief is a must-buy even in games without debt, as it's essentially a one-shot Fortune.

It could be problematic in combination with Mountain Pass: No player may want to buy the 1st Province, since the other player could bid 40 and then buy Debt Relief on their next turn, to effectively gain 8VP for a cost of at most $3 (and having to use the once-per-game effect at a possibly suboptimal time). Maybe restrict it to returning 8 debt (the most you can get in games without Mountain Pass)?

Thank you for the suggestions Holger. I made an update with the recommended restriction and reworded to instead of using "forgive".
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.