Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #150: Half!  (Read 6327 times)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #150: Half!
« on: April 25, 2022, 12:31:11 pm »
+9

In honor of my son's upcoming half-birthday (which is also the first time he's excited about a half-birthday), here's this week's contest.

Design a card or landscape that contains the word or concept of "half" (or its equivalent). Sample card: Bishop.

Other rules and suggestions (adapted from 4est's previous contests):
"Per $2 it costs", "Divided by 2," "halved", etc. are all acceptable wordings.
I will accept heirlooms, artifacts, split piles, non-Supply cards etc., as part of your submission, but keep things to no more than two cards/landscapes.
Don't make me squint. Eliminate unnecessary words and complexity where possible.

Judgement Details:
Entries and revisions must be submitted by just after 5 pm UTC on Tuesday, May 3. I'll try to have results posted the next day.
Entries will be judged on ingenuity, balance, simplicity, and creative/appropriate use of the concept of "half."

Judging has been completed, here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21192.msg891160#msg891160
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 03:05:28 pm by JW »

Joxeft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +103
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #150: Half!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 07:22:52 pm »

(this is my submission)
Vendor - Action - Cost: 4

+1 Action
Choose one: Trash a card from your hand; or +1 Buy (up to 2) per 2 cards in the trash and +$1 per 2 cards in the trash per player.
(Round down by default.)

My previous submissions.

For this entry, I have created a default rule that you round down by default unless it says to round up.

Feedback is appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 03:56:29 pm by Joxeft »

MochaMoko

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: MochaMoko
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 07:43:49 pm »
+1

Vendor
Feedback is appreciated.

This has potential to give a monstrous amount of +Buys and also scales with the number of players. Many things that care about counting things in the trash face the problem of the trash just having more stuff in it the more players are added. Now it's kinda cute that if people choose to take money, they won't be increasing the amount of cards in the trash, but other trashers will keep trashing of course.

I would try to deal with the 1) player scaling and 2) +Buy flood this gives. +Buy flood doesn't sound necessarily like bad design, but it's something that Donald X. doesn't like for reasons I don't remember. I'll say that pileouts by buying huge stacks of 0-cost cards isn't really a direction I want to go (this is still something that happens in real games, but, not to as much of an extent this can enable).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 07:46:08 pm by MochaMoko »

Joxeft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 08:00:05 pm »

Vendor
Feedback is appreciated.

This has potential to give a monstrous amount of +Buys and also scales with the number of players. Many things that care about counting things in the trash face the problem of the trash just having more stuff in it the more players are added. Now it's kinda cute that if people choose to take money, they won't be increasing the amount of cards in the trash, but other trashers will keep trashing of course.

I would try to deal with the 1) player scaling and 2) +Buy flood this gives. +Buy flood doesn't sound necessarily like bad design, but it's something that Donald X. doesn't like for reasons I don't remember. I'll say that pileouts by buying huge stacks of 0-cost cards isn't really a direction I want to go (this is still something that happens in real games, but, not to as much of an extent this can enable).

Thank you, I have updated my submission.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 08:14:24 pm »
+3

Regardless of scaling issues, Vendor is way overpowered. Just a cantrip trasher alone is already too strong for $4 (yes I know that Underling + Peaceful Cult exists now). This is a cantrip trasher that turns into a Grand Market+. It's too strong even at $5 I think.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

MochaMoko

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 08:33:27 pm »
+3

Pigs
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
If you have an even number of
Pigs in play, +①.
-
When you gain this or trash it
from hand, gain another Pigs
(it doesn't come with another).

The pile of Pigs is 20 cards. You get two half-Peddlers, and all the food you could ever want for things that like to eat trash Actions, or just cards costing a non-minor amount, or just cards in general. Ham's on the menu!

MochaMoko

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 10:12:11 pm »
+1

What is a Fish? How do I know how many Fish are in my deck? I have so many questions. Also blah blah blah accounting, what if I have a Fish in my hand but don't want to play it, Dominion usually accounts for this by either forcing you to reveal you don't have a Fish in hand to play, or by just making the playing optional.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 10:13:46 pm by MochaMoko »

Joxeft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 10:56:03 pm »

What is a Fish? How do I know how many Fish are in my deck? I have so many questions. Also blah blah blah accounting, what if I have a Fish in my hand but don't want to play it, Dominion usually accounts for this by either forcing you to reveal you don't have a Fish in hand to play, or by just making the playing optional.

This http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21065.0  explains what a fish is. In your deck is supposed to be in your hand but I don't have time to change that right now. It should also be you may but I also don't have time to change that right now.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2022, 02:33:41 am »
+4

Sexton
Action
$5

+1 Card
+1 Action

Trash a card from your hand
________________________________________________________________________________

When you trash this, +1VP per 2 differently named cards you have in play (rounded down)

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2022, 11:09:49 am »
+2

Feedback is appreciated.

Fish Market is a strictly better version of Bazaar at the same price, since it allows you to copy Bazaar exactly or get a different bonus instead of the second Action.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2022, 12:06:42 pm »
+3

This http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21065.0  explains what a fish is. In your deck is supposed to be in your hand but I don't have time to change that right now. It should also be you may but I also don't have time to change that right now.

This entry does not qualify because it exceeds the limit from my original post of 2 cards or landscapes. It would fine to submit one kingdom card which references one non-supply pile called “Fish” in which all the cards are the same (as opposed to several different cards).

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2022, 04:56:28 pm »
+3

My Submission:

Pardoner • $5 • Action - Gathering
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
If this is the first time you played a Pardoner this turn, add 1VP to its Supply pile.

Heirloom: Indulgence
Indulgence • $2 • Treasure - Heirloom
Choose one: +$1; or +1 Buy; or you may return a Pardoner from your hand to the Supply to take half the VP from the Pardoner Supply pile (round down).

Happy Half-Birthday to your son! I hope he has a wonderful day.

Here's my submission. Pardoner is a peddler that adds VP tokens to its pile. Initial it added one each time it was played, but it occurred to me that the amount of VP could quickly grow to absurd amounts, especially if there are any throne variants in the game. It comes with an Heirloom, Indulgence, which is a Copper that gives two alternative options instead of getting the $1: a player can instead get +1 Buy (potentially useful with a good number of peddlers) or return a Pardoner from their hand to the Supply to take half the VP tokens on the pile.

With no bonus besides the basic peddler ability, Pardoner is a bit overpriced at $5 (on play, it is strictly worse than, e.g., Market, Baker, and Bazaar) if you are not going to use its other ability. However, if you buy one early, you should be able to put quite a few VP tokens on it before you cash them out. Just be careful if your opponents are doing the same, as they might beat you too it and take the bulk of the reward.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2022, 09:46:42 pm »
+1

Stock Exchange
Treasure - $5
+1 Buy
+$1 for every 2 cards in your hand, rounded down.

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2022, 05:58:30 am »
+1

Shares
$5* Treasure

Choose one: Exile this, for +$1 per $1 it costs; or return this to the Supply.
-
This costs $1 less per 2 cards in the Shares pile (round down).

EDIT 3rd May: Changed top half so that you don't get the $ if you return it to the supply.
Once the pile runs out, they're worth $5 each but now you have to sacrifice $10 and a buy (previously just $5 and a buy) if you want to get them back from exile.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 04:26:02 am by infangthief »

UltimateGeek

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2022, 06:53:06 am »
+1

Thank you, I have updated my submission.

Joxeft, could you add some sort of changelog to your submission, please?

From http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.0:
7. ... If you change your entry, please do so as an edit to the post with your original entry and keep a changelog

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2022, 06:05:14 pm »
+4

Pawn Shop - $4
Action
+2 Cards
Trash a card from your hand.
If it is an...
Action card, +1 Villager...
Treasure card, +1 Coffer...
Victory card, +1 VP...
per $2 it costs, rounding up.

A draw 2 then trash for benefit. The benefit is weaker when trashing starter cards than something like Sacrifice, but can be better when trashing more expensive cards. Feedback is appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 08:10:22 pm by Xen3k »

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2022, 10:35:57 pm »
+2

Semi-simple alt-VP that uses Garrison's Token thing because that has so much potential for cards.
they/them

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2022, 12:21:15 am »
+4

My son (whose full birthday it is today) really wanted me to post this last week, but I never got around to it. Then I looked at this week’s contest: HALF!

I'm aware that "when buy" is out of favor these days, and this card commits the further sin of using "when buy" and "when gain" on the same card. But as I understand DVX's concerns, they relate to confusing casual Dominion players, and I assume if you’re on this forum, you’re interest in Dominion is more than casual. The card works best (and is balanced best) with the "buy" and "gain" as they appear here.

FAQ: You may trash a card whether you buy a card from the Supply or the trash.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2022, 07:55:06 am »
+4

Lumberjack
Action - $5
+$4
+1 Buy
Discard half the cards in your hand (round down the number you discard).

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2022, 10:46:37 am »
+12

Graft is an Event that lets you create your own split piles! When you buy it, you get a choice of taking the top half of one Kingdom pile and putting it on top of another (e.g. I take 5 Villages from the Village pile and put them on top of the 10 Markets), or rotating any Kingdom pile, similar to Battle Plan. I restricted it to Kingdom piles to prevent obnoxious things like putting 23 Coppers on top of the Provinces, etc. Players can use Graft sort of like Tax or Embargo to put a stack of bad cards on top of ones their opponent might want, but it also allows for some interesting pile control, adding more cards to low piles or halving a pile to threaten a pileout. It also always feels good to buy a card then rotate the pile away from your opponent.

FAQ:
-A Kingdom pile is any pile in the Supply that is not a Basic card (Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Platinum, Potion, Ruins, etc.). You may not take from Basic cards or put other cards on top of these with Graft.
-If a pile has an odd number of cards, round down the number you take off the top (e.g. take the top 4 cards from a 9 card pile). You may not use Graft to take from a pile that has 1 card left.
-Always take half of the pile, even if there's cards from multiple piles (e.g. if you Graft from a pile of 7 Villages on the bottom and 5 Moats on top, you would take 5 Moats and 1 Village to put on another pile). You may not reorder the pile you take from or the pile you place on.
-Graft uses similar rules to official split piles--you can turn the bottom cards sideways to indicate multiple cards in the pile. Players may look through the pile (the one exception is Knights--if Grafting Knights, count the pile without looking at the cards below the top one).
-You may place cards onto an empty Kingdom pile.
-You may only buy/gain the top card of a Supply pile. When a card instructs you to gain a copy of a card (like Talisman or Duplicate), you may gain it from any pile where it's the top card. For Swindler, the attacker chooses which pile the gained card comes from.
-When something asks you to return a card to the Supply, you return it to the card's ORIGINAL pile (these can be tracked using the randomizers), not a different Kingdom pile that happens to have those cards in it.
-Adventures tokens placed on a Kingdom pile only affect cards represented on that pile's randomizer (this is slightly different from the official Adventures tokens rule, which says all cards from that pile are affected, so uh errata? This change still allows tokens to affect multiple cards from the same normal split pile).
-Tower checks the randomizer of empty piles and only cards that match those randomizers are counted.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 11:22:56 am by 4est »

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2022, 11:52:52 am »
+3

Graft is an Event that lets you create your own split piles! When you buy it, you get a choice of taking the top half of one Kingdom pile and putting it on top of another (e.g. I take 5 Villages from the Village pile and put them on top of the 10 Markets), or rotating any Kingdom pile, similar to Battle Plan. I restricted it to Kingdom piles to prevent obnoxious things like putting 23 Coppers on top of the Provinces, etc. Players can use Graft sort of like Tax or Embargo to put a stack of bad cards on top of ones their opponent might want, but it also allows for some interesting pile control, adding more cards to low piles or halving a pile to threaten a pileout. It also always feels good to buy a card then rotate the pile away from your opponent.

FAQ:
-A Kingdom pile is any pile in the Supply that is not a Basic card (Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Platinum, Potion, Ruins, etc.). You may not take from Basic cards or put other cards on top of these with Graft.
-If a pile has an odd number of cards, round down the number you take off the top (e.g. take the top 4 cards from a 9 card pile). You may not use Graft to take from a pile that has 1 card left.
-Always take half of the pile, even if there's cards from multiple piles (e.g. if you Graft from a pile of 7 Villages on the bottom and 5 Moats on top, you would take 5 Moats and 1 Village to put on another pile). You may not reorder the pile you take from or the pile you place on.
-You may place cards onto an empty Kingdom pile.
I like this idea, but I think there are more rules issues that you need to address related to the fact that you now have multiple supply piles with copies of the same card:

- if you return a card to the supply, which pile do you return it to?
- with e.g. Talisman, can you gain a copy of the card that comes from a different pile?
- if I Swindle a card of yours, who gets to choose the pile the replacement comes from?
- with e.g. Tower, it matters which pile your card came from, but there is no way for a card to remember which pile it came from

This list is probably incomplete.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 11:54:58 am by faust »

4est

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2022, 12:43:28 pm »

I like this idea, but I think there are more rules issues that you need to address related to the fact that you now have multiple supply piles with copies of the same card:

- with e.g. Talisman, can you gain a copy of the card that comes from a different pile?
- if I Swindle a card of yours, who gets to choose the pile the replacement comes from?
- with e.g. Tower, it matters which pile your card came from, but there is no way for a card to remember which pile it came from

Yep, Adventures tokens too. Let me think about these and I'll update the FAQ.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2022, 01:06:05 pm »
+4

Semi-simple alt-VP that uses Garrison's Token thing because that has so much potential for cards.

I like the token-on-card mechanic as well, and agree it has a lot of potential.

I think this card might be a little on the weak side. The obvious comparison is Distant Lands (an Action - Victory card that only becomes worth VP if it is played). Investment costs more than DL, but is worth fewer VP unless it is played at least 8 turns before the game ends, and is only worth more if it is played 10 turns before. This seems tough to achieve for buying a $6 card and playing it.

The only other difference is that this stays in play instead of going on the Tavern mat. While that could be a benefit for Peddler, Horn of Plenty, Pilgrimage, Emporium, Grand Castle, Colonnade, Magic Lamp, Leprechaun, or Changeling, it is a disadvantage for Conclave, Imp, Sunken Treasure, Tormentor, and Stampede. That split may favor Investment a little, but I'm not sure it's enough to justify it costing more than DL.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

4est

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2022, 02:57:11 pm »

Yep, Adventures tokens too. Let me think about these and I'll update the FAQ.

Okay, I've added a few more FAQs below and to the OP to clarify. In general, I think going by a pile's randomizer card should resolve a lot of these issues regarding the "which pile is it's pile" questions. Gaining is different, and you can always go with whatever card is on top.  Let me know if anyone comes up with any other wacky things that Graft breaks, I'm sure there are plenty more.

FAQ (cont.)
-You may only buy/gain the top card of a Supply pile. When a card instructs you to gain a copy of a card (like Talisman or Duplicate), you may gain it from any pile where it's the top card. For Swindler, the attacker chooses which pile the gained card comes from.
-When something asks you to return a card to the Supply, you return it to the card's ORIGINAL pile (these can be tracked using the randomizers), not a different Kingdom pile that happens to have those cards in it.
-Adventures tokens placed on a Kingdom pile only affect cards represented on that pile's randomizer (this is slightly different from the official Adventures tokens rule, which says all cards from that pile are affected, so uh errata? This change still allows tokens to affect multiple cards from the same normal split pile).
-Tower checks the randomizer of empty piles and only cards that match those randomizers are counted.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2022, 03:53:17 pm »

I think using the randomizers resolves most issues. You may want to rule on looking through piles, I feel like that should generally be allowed but it's weird when you Graft the Knights.

But regardless of rules, I am a bit worried about the potential to block access to key cards. On a 3/4 open, you can go for Ambassador/Graft and your opponent won't have a chance to get an Ambassador until they hit $7.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.