Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #150: Half!  (Read 6465 times)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #150: Half!
« on: April 25, 2022, 12:31:11 pm »
+9

In honor of my son's upcoming half-birthday (which is also the first time he's excited about a half-birthday), here's this week's contest.

Design a card or landscape that contains the word or concept of "half" (or its equivalent). Sample card: Bishop.

Other rules and suggestions (adapted from 4est's previous contests):
"Per $2 it costs", "Divided by 2," "halved", etc. are all acceptable wordings.
I will accept heirlooms, artifacts, split piles, non-Supply cards etc., as part of your submission, but keep things to no more than two cards/landscapes.
Don't make me squint. Eliminate unnecessary words and complexity where possible.

Judgement Details:
Entries and revisions must be submitted by just after 5 pm UTC on Tuesday, May 3. I'll try to have results posted the next day.
Entries will be judged on ingenuity, balance, simplicity, and creative/appropriate use of the concept of "half."

Judging has been completed, here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21192.msg891160#msg891160
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 03:05:28 pm by JW »

Joxeft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +103
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #150: Half!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 07:22:52 pm »

(this is my submission)
Vendor - Action - Cost: 4

+1 Action
Choose one: Trash a card from your hand; or +1 Buy (up to 2) per 2 cards in the trash and +$1 per 2 cards in the trash per player.
(Round down by default.)

My previous submissions.

For this entry, I have created a default rule that you round down by default unless it says to round up.

Feedback is appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 03:56:29 pm by Joxeft »

MochaMoko

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: MochaMoko
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 07:43:49 pm »
+1

Vendor
Feedback is appreciated.

This has potential to give a monstrous amount of +Buys and also scales with the number of players. Many things that care about counting things in the trash face the problem of the trash just having more stuff in it the more players are added. Now it's kinda cute that if people choose to take money, they won't be increasing the amount of cards in the trash, but other trashers will keep trashing of course.

I would try to deal with the 1) player scaling and 2) +Buy flood this gives. +Buy flood doesn't sound necessarily like bad design, but it's something that Donald X. doesn't like for reasons I don't remember. I'll say that pileouts by buying huge stacks of 0-cost cards isn't really a direction I want to go (this is still something that happens in real games, but, not to as much of an extent this can enable).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 07:46:08 pm by MochaMoko »

Joxeft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 08:00:05 pm »

Vendor
Feedback is appreciated.

This has potential to give a monstrous amount of +Buys and also scales with the number of players. Many things that care about counting things in the trash face the problem of the trash just having more stuff in it the more players are added. Now it's kinda cute that if people choose to take money, they won't be increasing the amount of cards in the trash, but other trashers will keep trashing of course.

I would try to deal with the 1) player scaling and 2) +Buy flood this gives. +Buy flood doesn't sound necessarily like bad design, but it's something that Donald X. doesn't like for reasons I don't remember. I'll say that pileouts by buying huge stacks of 0-cost cards isn't really a direction I want to go (this is still something that happens in real games, but, not to as much of an extent this can enable).

Thank you, I have updated my submission.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 08:14:24 pm »
+3

Regardless of scaling issues, Vendor is way overpowered. Just a cantrip trasher alone is already too strong for $4 (yes I know that Underling + Peaceful Cult exists now). This is a cantrip trasher that turns into a Grand Market+. It's too strong even at $5 I think.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

MochaMoko

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 08:33:27 pm »
+3

Pigs
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
If you have an even number of
Pigs in play, +①.
-
When you gain this or trash it
from hand, gain another Pigs
(it doesn't come with another).

The pile of Pigs is 20 cards. You get two half-Peddlers, and all the food you could ever want for things that like to eat trash Actions, or just cards costing a non-minor amount, or just cards in general. Ham's on the menu!

MochaMoko

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 10:12:11 pm »
+1

What is a Fish? How do I know how many Fish are in my deck? I have so many questions. Also blah blah blah accounting, what if I have a Fish in my hand but don't want to play it, Dominion usually accounts for this by either forcing you to reveal you don't have a Fish in hand to play, or by just making the playing optional.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 10:13:46 pm by MochaMoko »

Joxeft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 10:56:03 pm »

What is a Fish? How do I know how many Fish are in my deck? I have so many questions. Also blah blah blah accounting, what if I have a Fish in my hand but don't want to play it, Dominion usually accounts for this by either forcing you to reveal you don't have a Fish in hand to play, or by just making the playing optional.

This http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21065.0  explains what a fish is. In your deck is supposed to be in your hand but I don't have time to change that right now. It should also be you may but I also don't have time to change that right now.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2022, 02:33:41 am »
+4

Sexton
Action
$5

+1 Card
+1 Action

Trash a card from your hand
________________________________________________________________________________

When you trash this, +1VP per 2 differently named cards you have in play (rounded down)

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2022, 11:09:49 am »
+2

Feedback is appreciated.

Fish Market is a strictly better version of Bazaar at the same price, since it allows you to copy Bazaar exactly or get a different bonus instead of the second Action.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2022, 12:06:42 pm »
+3

This http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21065.0  explains what a fish is. In your deck is supposed to be in your hand but I don't have time to change that right now. It should also be you may but I also don't have time to change that right now.

This entry does not qualify because it exceeds the limit from my original post of 2 cards or landscapes. It would fine to submit one kingdom card which references one non-supply pile called “Fish” in which all the cards are the same (as opposed to several different cards).

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2022, 04:56:28 pm »
+3

My Submission:

Pardoner • $5 • Action - Gathering
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
If this is the first time you played a Pardoner this turn, add 1VP to its Supply pile.

Heirloom: Indulgence
Indulgence • $2 • Treasure - Heirloom
Choose one: +$1; or +1 Buy; or you may return a Pardoner from your hand to the Supply to take half the VP from the Pardoner Supply pile (round down).

Happy Half-Birthday to your son! I hope he has a wonderful day.

Here's my submission. Pardoner is a peddler that adds VP tokens to its pile. Initial it added one each time it was played, but it occurred to me that the amount of VP could quickly grow to absurd amounts, especially if there are any throne variants in the game. It comes with an Heirloom, Indulgence, which is a Copper that gives two alternative options instead of getting the $1: a player can instead get +1 Buy (potentially useful with a good number of peddlers) or return a Pardoner from their hand to the Supply to take half the VP tokens on the pile.

With no bonus besides the basic peddler ability, Pardoner is a bit overpriced at $5 (on play, it is strictly worse than, e.g., Market, Baker, and Bazaar) if you are not going to use its other ability. However, if you buy one early, you should be able to put quite a few VP tokens on it before you cash them out. Just be careful if your opponents are doing the same, as they might beat you too it and take the bulk of the reward.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2022, 09:46:42 pm »
+1

Stock Exchange
Treasure - $5
+1 Buy
+$1 for every 2 cards in your hand, rounded down.

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +640
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2022, 05:58:30 am »
+1

Shares
$5* Treasure

Choose one: Exile this, for +$1 per $1 it costs; or return this to the Supply.
-
This costs $1 less per 2 cards in the Shares pile (round down).

EDIT 3rd May: Changed top half so that you don't get the $ if you return it to the supply.
Once the pile runs out, they're worth $5 each but now you have to sacrifice $10 and a buy (previously just $5 and a buy) if you want to get them back from exile.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 04:26:02 am by infangthief »

UltimateGeek

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2022, 06:53:06 am »
+1

Thank you, I have updated my submission.

Joxeft, could you add some sort of changelog to your submission, please?

From http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.0:
7. ... If you change your entry, please do so as an edit to the post with your original entry and keep a changelog

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +582
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2022, 06:05:14 pm »
+4

Pawn Shop - $4
Action
+2 Cards
Trash a card from your hand.
If it is an...
Action card, +1 Villager...
Treasure card, +1 Coffer...
Victory card, +1 VP...
per $2 it costs, rounding up.

A draw 2 then trash for benefit. The benefit is weaker when trashing starter cards than something like Sacrifice, but can be better when trashing more expensive cards. Feedback is appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 08:10:22 pm by Xen3k »

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +493
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2022, 10:35:57 pm »
+2

Semi-simple alt-VP that uses Garrison's Token thing because that has so much potential for cards.
they/them

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2022, 12:21:15 am »
+4

My son (whose full birthday it is today) really wanted me to post this last week, but I never got around to it. Then I looked at this week’s contest: HALF!

I'm aware that "when buy" is out of favor these days, and this card commits the further sin of using "when buy" and "when gain" on the same card. But as I understand DVX's concerns, they relate to confusing casual Dominion players, and I assume if you’re on this forum, you’re interest in Dominion is more than casual. The card works best (and is balanced best) with the "buy" and "gain" as they appear here.

FAQ: You may trash a card whether you buy a card from the Supply or the trash.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2129
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2022, 07:55:06 am »
+4

Lumberjack
Action - $5
+$4
+1 Buy
Discard half the cards in your hand (round down the number you discard).

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1455
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2022, 10:46:37 am »
+12

Graft is an Event that lets you create your own split piles! When you buy it, you get a choice of taking the top half of one Kingdom pile and putting it on top of another (e.g. I take 5 Villages from the Village pile and put them on top of the 10 Markets), or rotating any Kingdom pile, similar to Battle Plan. I restricted it to Kingdom piles to prevent obnoxious things like putting 23 Coppers on top of the Provinces, etc. Players can use Graft sort of like Tax or Embargo to put a stack of bad cards on top of ones their opponent might want, but it also allows for some interesting pile control, adding more cards to low piles or halving a pile to threaten a pileout. It also always feels good to buy a card then rotate the pile away from your opponent.

FAQ:
-A Kingdom pile is any pile in the Supply that is not a Basic card (Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Platinum, Potion, Ruins, etc.). You may not take from Basic cards or put other cards on top of these with Graft.
-If a pile has an odd number of cards, round down the number you take off the top (e.g. take the top 4 cards from a 9 card pile). You may not use Graft to take from a pile that has 1 card left.
-Always take half of the pile, even if there's cards from multiple piles (e.g. if you Graft from a pile of 7 Villages on the bottom and 5 Moats on top, you would take 5 Moats and 1 Village to put on another pile). You may not reorder the pile you take from or the pile you place on.
-Graft uses similar rules to official split piles--you can turn the bottom cards sideways to indicate multiple cards in the pile. Players may look through the pile (the one exception is Knights--if Grafting Knights, count the pile without looking at the cards below the top one).
-You may place cards onto an empty Kingdom pile.
-You may only buy/gain the top card of a Supply pile. When a card instructs you to gain a copy of a card (like Talisman or Duplicate), you may gain it from any pile where it's the top card. For Swindler, the attacker chooses which pile the gained card comes from.
-When something asks you to return a card to the Supply, you return it to the card's ORIGINAL pile (these can be tracked using the randomizers), not a different Kingdom pile that happens to have those cards in it.
-Adventures tokens placed on a Kingdom pile only affect cards represented on that pile's randomizer (this is slightly different from the official Adventures tokens rule, which says all cards from that pile are affected, so uh errata? This change still allows tokens to affect multiple cards from the same normal split pile).
-Tower checks the randomizer of empty piles and only cards that match those randomizers are counted.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 11:22:56 am by 4est »

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2022, 11:52:52 am »
+3

Graft is an Event that lets you create your own split piles! When you buy it, you get a choice of taking the top half of one Kingdom pile and putting it on top of another (e.g. I take 5 Villages from the Village pile and put them on top of the 10 Markets), or rotating any Kingdom pile, similar to Battle Plan. I restricted it to Kingdom piles to prevent obnoxious things like putting 23 Coppers on top of the Provinces, etc. Players can use Graft sort of like Tax or Embargo to put a stack of bad cards on top of ones their opponent might want, but it also allows for some interesting pile control, adding more cards to low piles or halving a pile to threaten a pileout. It also always feels good to buy a card then rotate the pile away from your opponent.

FAQ:
-A Kingdom pile is any pile in the Supply that is not a Basic card (Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Platinum, Potion, Ruins, etc.). You may not take from Basic cards or put other cards on top of these with Graft.
-If a pile has an odd number of cards, round down the number you take off the top (e.g. take the top 4 cards from a 9 card pile). You may not use Graft to take from a pile that has 1 card left.
-Always take half of the pile, even if there's cards from multiple piles (e.g. if you Graft from a pile of 7 Villages on the bottom and 5 Moats on top, you would take 5 Moats and 1 Village to put on another pile). You may not reorder the pile you take from or the pile you place on.
-You may place cards onto an empty Kingdom pile.
I like this idea, but I think there are more rules issues that you need to address related to the fact that you now have multiple supply piles with copies of the same card:

- if you return a card to the supply, which pile do you return it to?
- with e.g. Talisman, can you gain a copy of the card that comes from a different pile?
- if I Swindle a card of yours, who gets to choose the pile the replacement comes from?
- with e.g. Tower, it matters which pile your card came from, but there is no way for a card to remember which pile it came from

This list is probably incomplete.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 11:54:58 am by faust »

4est

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2022, 12:43:28 pm »

I like this idea, but I think there are more rules issues that you need to address related to the fact that you now have multiple supply piles with copies of the same card:

- with e.g. Talisman, can you gain a copy of the card that comes from a different pile?
- if I Swindle a card of yours, who gets to choose the pile the replacement comes from?
- with e.g. Tower, it matters which pile your card came from, but there is no way for a card to remember which pile it came from

Yep, Adventures tokens too. Let me think about these and I'll update the FAQ.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2022, 01:06:05 pm »
+4

Semi-simple alt-VP that uses Garrison's Token thing because that has so much potential for cards.

I like the token-on-card mechanic as well, and agree it has a lot of potential.

I think this card might be a little on the weak side. The obvious comparison is Distant Lands (an Action - Victory card that only becomes worth VP if it is played). Investment costs more than DL, but is worth fewer VP unless it is played at least 8 turns before the game ends, and is only worth more if it is played 10 turns before. This seems tough to achieve for buying a $6 card and playing it.

The only other difference is that this stays in play instead of going on the Tavern mat. While that could be a benefit for Peddler, Horn of Plenty, Pilgrimage, Emporium, Grand Castle, Colonnade, Magic Lamp, Leprechaun, or Changeling, it is a disadvantage for Conclave, Imp, Sunken Treasure, Tormentor, and Stampede. That split may favor Investment a little, but I'm not sure it's enough to justify it costing more than DL.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

4est

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2022, 02:57:11 pm »

Yep, Adventures tokens too. Let me think about these and I'll update the FAQ.

Okay, I've added a few more FAQs below and to the OP to clarify. In general, I think going by a pile's randomizer card should resolve a lot of these issues regarding the "which pile is it's pile" questions. Gaining is different, and you can always go with whatever card is on top.  Let me know if anyone comes up with any other wacky things that Graft breaks, I'm sure there are plenty more.

FAQ (cont.)
-You may only buy/gain the top card of a Supply pile. When a card instructs you to gain a copy of a card (like Talisman or Duplicate), you may gain it from any pile where it's the top card. For Swindler, the attacker chooses which pile the gained card comes from.
-When something asks you to return a card to the Supply, you return it to the card's ORIGINAL pile (these can be tracked using the randomizers), not a different Kingdom pile that happens to have those cards in it.
-Adventures tokens placed on a Kingdom pile only affect cards represented on that pile's randomizer (this is slightly different from the official Adventures tokens rule, which says all cards from that pile are affected, so uh errata? This change still allows tokens to affect multiple cards from the same normal split pile).
-Tower checks the randomizer of empty piles and only cards that match those randomizers are counted.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2022, 03:53:17 pm »

I think using the randomizers resolves most issues. You may want to rule on looking through piles, I feel like that should generally be allowed but it's weird when you Graft the Knights.

But regardless of rules, I am a bit worried about the potential to block access to key cards. On a 3/4 open, you can go for Ambassador/Graft and your opponent won't have a chance to get an Ambassador until they hit $7.

Joxeft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2022, 03:57:32 pm »

My submission has been updated.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2022, 06:50:58 pm »
+4

Test Site • $5 • Action
+$3

You may pay up to half of your $ to for the same number
of +Actions.

You may pay up to half of your remaining $ for the same number of +Cards.

(Round down for both.)

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2022, 07:09:34 pm »
+6

Gatherer - $5
Action

+2 Cards
This turn, directly after you play an Action from a Supply pile that is at most half empty, +1 Action.

AJL828

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2022, 10:24:50 pm »

Parade
Project ($3)

At the end of your Buy phase, you may pay any amount of $ to draw extra cards for your next hand at a rate of 1 card per $2 spent.

Not 100% sure about the price, I put it at $3 since its effect seems similar enough to Pageant to warrant it. Feedback appreciated (especially regarding price).
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +493
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2022, 12:00:27 am »
+1

I like the token-on-card mechanic as well, and agree it has a lot of potential.

I think this card might be a little on the weak side. The obvious comparison is Distant Lands (an Action - Victory card that only becomes worth VP if it is played). Investment costs more than DL, but is worth fewer VP unless it is played at least 8 turns before the game ends, and is only worth more if it is played 10 turns before. This seems tough to achieve for buying a $6 card and playing it.

The only other difference is that this stays in play instead of going on the Tavern mat. While that could be a benefit for Peddler, Horn of Plenty, Pilgrimage, Emporium, Grand Castle, Colonnade, Magic Lamp, Leprechaun, or Changeling, it is a disadvantage for Conclave, Imp, Sunken Treasure, Tormentor, and Stampede. That split may favor Investment a little, but I'm not sure it's enough to justify it costing more than DL.

Notable concern, but what if your opponent who buys this also doesn't challenge Province? Should leave a good amount of turns for this to accumulate VP, especially since it's not capped. Hesitated making it $5 for that reason.
they/them

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2022, 10:42:52 am »
+4

Quote from: Bookshop
+1 Action
+$1
If this is the first time you played a Bookshop this turn, +1 Card and +1 Buy.
+1 Card per $2 you have (round down)

Unlike with Storyteller, you do not lose your coins when you play Bookshop.
The first Bookshop you play will be a Market.  The next two (assuming you don't play other cards that give +$1) will be Peddlers, and only the fourth will increase your hand size.  So it takes work to get decent draw out them if you only intend to stack Bookshops, but the card will synergize well with other cards that give $ during your Action phase or the start of your turn.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 10:45:19 am by Timinou »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3227
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2022, 11:41:46 am »
+2

I'd cut lines 3-5. Makes the card much simpler, and it's probably still strong enough to be playable.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +466
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2022, 11:48:23 am »

Gatherer - $5
Action

+2 Cards
This turn, directly after you play an Action from a Supply pile that is at most half empty, +1 Action.
Is this supposed to give a bonus  if the Action pile has at least 5 cards (parsing the condition as "(at most half) empty") or no more than 5 cards ("(at most) (half empty)")?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2022, 01:24:32 pm »
+1

Is this supposed to give a bonus  if the Action pile has at least 5 cards (parsing the condition as "(at most half) empty") or no more than 5 cards ("(at most) (half empty)")?
The former. Is this not sufficiently clear? There is enough space for rewording but I felt it was understandable this way.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2022, 07:53:09 pm »
+1

The former. Is this not sufficiently clear? There is enough space for rewording but I felt it was understandable this way.

I also had that confusion at first when I read it, so maybe you could instead say "This turn, directly after playing an Action from a Supply pile with at least half its cards, +1 Action."?
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2022, 07:33:00 am »
+1

Edit 1:
Edit 2:
Added once per turn and another suggestions per others ideas.

No idea if this is OP, UP, or whatever. I added the stipulation that only cards that cost 1 or more get trashed, so it doesnt just become a "trash the coppers for free!"

Description:

Card/event: revolution. 0$

Once per turn: +1 Buy. Trash half of your cards in play that can be trashed and that cost $1 or more (round up). Discard all cards you have in play, and return to your action phase.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 03:56:48 pm by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

Holger

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2022, 07:36:27 am »

I also had that confusion at first when I read it, so maybe you could instead say "This turn, directly after playing an Action from a Supply pile with at least half its cards, +1 Action."?

Yes, or directly say "at least 5 cards". There's only a dozen or so Action card piles that don't have exactly 10 cards, so it wouldn't make that much of a difference.

For me, the combination of "at most" with a negative ("empty") is somewhat ambiguous, though you could of course clarify it in an FAQ. It's a similar problem to Saboteur's wording, where "at most $2 less" could be interpreted in two ways.

Holger

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2022, 07:57:41 am »
+1

No idea if this is OP, UP, or whatever. I added the stipulation that only cards that cost 1 or more get trashed, so it doesnt just become a "trash the coppers for free!"

Description:

+1 Buy: Trash half of your cards in play (that cost $1 or more). Discard all cards you have in play, and return to your action phase.

That's an interesting idea.  :)

I don't think it's overpowered since it can't trash Coppers, Estates, Curses or Ruins (the cards you want to trash most often). In the very late game it can be very strong to trash half your good cards to get kind of an extra turn (or even several). Otherwise it seems more situational...

IMO, there shouldn't be a bracket around "that cost $1 or more", as that is not an explanation, but an important condition on what can be trashed.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2022, 08:47:43 am »
+1

Description:

+1 Buy: Trash half of your cards in play (that cost $1 or more). Discard all cards you have in play, and return to your action phase.
Usually, everything is rounded down in Dominion, but that does not work here: You could always use Revolution to discard a single Action you have in play and thus easily generate loops. So I think this at least needs some rounding up condition.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2022, 08:48:45 am »
+2

Also the Fortress combo probably kills this card.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3227
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2022, 09:43:32 am »
+3

Well it certainly doesn't kill the Fortress :-)

Holger

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2022, 09:43:57 am »
+2

You could salvage it by restricting it to "once per turn". Then no loops are possible, and the combo with Fortress would at most give you a "double turn".

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2022, 11:03:44 am »
+2

Cost reduction could also be a problem if it can make the cards you have played worth 0. Potentially you could go on forever. That would also be fixed by limiting it to once per turn.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +534
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2022, 03:47:16 pm »
+2

I really think this is an interesting card! I feel like $3 might be better. If there's an excellent card you want to lock your opponents out of (a trasher, or a +buy), you essentially raise the cost of that card by $4 for your opponents which seems a little steep. $3 feels better that way.

Very excellent design that it provides +buy and can also rotate, otherwise I could perpetually lock my opponent out the only +buy on board.

One cool use of this is ending the game -- if there are 4 rats left i can buy one of these to eliminate 2 rats from the Rats pile by putting them on top of another pile. For that, you might consider changing it to "once per turn."

UltimateGeek

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2022, 04:19:28 pm »
+3

$3 Event: Debt Relief
Once per game: +2 Buys. Return up to 8 debt.
Cards this turn cost half their $, rounded down.
-
You may buy this despite having debt.

Edit:
1.1 - Changed debt forgiveness to returning up to 8 debt tokens
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 01:02:36 pm by UltimateGeek »

Joxeft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2022, 04:25:03 pm »

Once per game: +2 Buys. Your debt is forgiven.
-

Your debt is forgiven what do you mean.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 04:27:49 pm by Joxeft »

Holger

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2022, 04:55:37 pm »
+3

-

I assume "Your debt is forgiven" means you just return all your Debt tokens to the supply?

Debt relief is a must-buy even in games without debt, as it's essentially a one-shot Fortune.

It could be problematic in combination with Mountain Pass: No player may want to buy the 1st Province, since the other player could bid 40 and then buy Debt Relief on their next turn, to effectively gain 8VP for a cost of at most $3 (and having to use the once-per-game effect at a possibly suboptimal time). Maybe restrict it to returning 8 debt (the most you can get in games without Mountain Pass)?

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2022, 05:12:48 pm »
+4

I am a busier than I expected to be, so I’ll close this contest on Tuesday, just after 5 pm UTC (not midnight UTC on Monday night as I had initially said), with judging on Tuesday or Wednesday. The deadline has been updated in the original post too.

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2022, 04:48:35 am »

-

I really like the above-the-line bit. I think this event is interesting enough just with that, perhaps a bit cheaper (and with Holger's suggestion of capping it at 8⬣.

UltimateGeek

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2022, 01:04:50 pm »
+1

I assume "Your debt is forgiven" means you just return all your Debt tokens to the supply?

Debt relief is a must-buy even in games without debt, as it's essentially a one-shot Fortune.

It could be problematic in combination with Mountain Pass: No player may want to buy the 1st Province, since the other player could bid 40 and then buy Debt Relief on their next turn, to effectively gain 8VP for a cost of at most $3 (and having to use the once-per-game effect at a possibly suboptimal time). Maybe restrict it to returning 8 debt (the most you can get in games without Mountain Pass)?

Thank you for the suggestions Holger. I made an update with the recommended restriction and reworded to instead of using "forgive".

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2022, 03:38:21 pm »
+6

Contest closed! Judging to be posted tomorrow (Wednesday).

I have as entries:
Joxeft: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21192.msg890897#msg890897
MochaMoko: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21192.msg890901#msg890901
xyz123: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21192.msg890907#msg890907
emtzalex: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21192.msg890935#msg890935
Commodore Chuckles: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21192.msg890942#msg890942
infangthief: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21192.msg890949#msg890949
Xen3k: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21192.msg890983#msg890983
Augie279: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21192.msg890987#msg890987
spheremonk: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21192.msg890991#msg890991
NoMoreFun: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21192.msg890998#msg890998
4est: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21192.msg891002#msg891002
spineflu: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21192.msg891028#msg891028
faust: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21192.msg891029#msg891029
AJL828: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21192.msg891032#msg891032
Timinou: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21192.msg891046#msg891046
fika monster: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21192.msg891061#msg891061
UltimateGeek: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21192.msg891075#msg891075

If I missed yours, please let me know.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2022, 02:28:56 pm »

I'd cut lines 3-5. Makes the card much simpler, and it's probably still strong enough to be playable.

Thanks for the feedback, silverspawn.  It's too late to change my entry, but I did think about a simpler version without a Crossroads-like buff on the first play.  My concern was that without it, it would be too weak, and on the other hand if I adjusted the top part to give +1 Card or +$2 instead of +$1, it could become OP if you manage to stack just a few.  Ultimately, it would need playtesting to find the right balance, but maybe a simpler version as you suggest would be the best starting point.       

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2022, 07:12:56 pm »
+5

WDC #150: Half!

Thanks for all the submissions! Once my son learns Dominion in, well, a lot of years, I'll tell him about the cards designed in honor of his turning 2.5!

I think that this was a hard prompt, but you all had a lot of great submissions! It was hard deciding on a winner, or even keeping the “short list” under half the entries! Here’s my $0.34:

Vendor - Action - Cost: 4

+1 Action
Choose one: Trash a card from your hand; or +1 Buy (up to 2) per 2 cards in the trash and +$1 per 2 cards in the trash per player.
(Round down by default.)

A very weak trasher for its cost (compare to, e.g., Raze) or eventually a potentially very strong source of +Buy and $. I think that the wording (“+$1 per 2 cards in the trash per player”) is going to be confusing, especially with the “per player” condition on the $ with the “up to” limitation on the Buys. The “per player” wording also means that, if you’re the only one who goes for this and in a 3+ player game and no one else gets trashing, it won’t get above $1 from trashing just your starting cards.

Pigs
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
If you have an even number of
Pigs in play, +①.
-
When you gain this or trash it
from hand, gain another Pigs
(it doesn't come with another).

It’s delightful even without the tie-in that my son likes pigs. From a gameplay standpoint, I like that using both opening buys on Pigs seems much worse at hitting $5 than Silver/Silver (though I haven’t taken the time to do the math!). But it gets stronger quickly as your density of Pigs increases. Besides possibly being a bit strong for a Peddler-variant, the main downside that I see is that gaining so many cards with +1 Card and +1 Action might slow down games. Short list.

Sexton
Action
$5

+1 Card
+1 Action

Trash a card from your hand
________________________________________________________________________________

When you trash this, +1VP per 2 differently named cards you have in play (rounded down)

A weaker Junk Dealer for most of the game, it shines when you can trash it for points later on. I like the simplicity and how you can go through the whole pile even in a two-player game, unlike many trashers. The overly strong interaction with Black Market is problematic but not disqualifying (reminiscent of Museum-Black Market!). Short list.

My Submission:

Pardoner • $5 • Action - Gathering
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
If this is the first time you played a Pardoner this turn, add 1VP to its Supply pile.

Heirloom: Indulgence
Indulgence • $2 • Treasure - Heirloom
Choose one: +$1; or +1 Buy; or you may return a Pardoner from your hand to the Supply to take half the VP from the Pardoner Supply pile (round down).

It’s really interesting and I like how the heirloom fits the theme. The big issue is what you spelled out in your post: Pardoner is over-priced as a Peddler variant and thus quite weak for a $5. Its benefit over Peddler helps everyone’s Pardoners to be cashed in for VP. And someone only needs a single Pardoner to return with Indulgence to take half the pile, so after one player adds enough VP for it to be interesting, that’s when other players can buy it.

Stock Exchange
Treasure - $5
+1 Buy
+$1 for every 2 cards in your hand, rounded down.

The anti-Bank (play it before your other Treasures). But, like Bank, it encourages you to keep your other treasures. Very weak without draw, but the same is true of Bank, and that’s still a fun card. Strong combos with ways to play Treasures without being done with your Action phase (Villa, Black Market, Storyteller, etc.). Short list.

Shares
$5* Treasure

-

It starts as a $0 cost treasure. As soon as you buy it, it now costs $1 so you can Exile it for $1. At least three need to be gained for it to produce at least $2 when Exiled. So, It doesn’t seem worth using a Buy on in the first place, unless it’s a multiplayer game and you know that others will mirror your strategy. Tracking how many cards are in the Shares pile for things like Salvager would probably be annoying in person.

Pawn Shop - $4
Action
+2 Cards
Trash a card from your hand.
If it is an...
Action card, +1 Villager...
Treasure card, +1 Coffer...
Victory card, +1 VP...
per $2 it costs, rounding up.

A really interesting trasher. It gets little benefit from trashing your starting cards other than a few VP from your Estates, but it can serve as a mini-Recruiter by trashing actions in a pinch, if you trash Gold you get enough Coffers to make up for it this turn, and it gets enough VP from trashing Province that it’s a possible “golden deck” enabler (just don’t compare it to Sanctuary!). That said, the benefits of trashing expensive cards seem insufficient to justify its cost most of the time, so once you trash your starting cards you’ll probably trash excess Pawn Shops to itself. Short list. 

As others have said in this thread, this is too weak. The comparison to Distant Lands is instructive (it takes 8 turns to be worth as much). Also, the strategy using using Investment would be “play Investment, then make sure the game doesn’t end soon.” So, decks that bought Investment wouldn’t be buying both Provinces and Investments at the same time, as happens with Distant Lands. Which is less fun.

My son (whose full birthday it is today) really wanted me to post this last week, but I never got around to it. Then I looked at this week’s contest: HALF!

I'm aware that "when buy" is out of favor these days, and this card commits the further sin of using "when buy" and "when gain" on the same card. But as I understand DVX's concerns, they relate to confusing casual Dominion players, and I assume if you’re on this forum, you’re interest in Dominion is more than casual. The card works best (and is balanced best) with the "buy" and "gain" as they appear here.

FAQ: You may trash a card whether you buy a card from the Supply or the trash.

What a coincidence that this card qualified for two (narrow) contests in a row! Happy belated birthday to your son!

This is a very interesting card. My main concern is that it seems too powerful, especially as an opener. If you trash a $5 or $6 it virtually guarantees that you can purchase it from the trash when played (while trashing a card), even if your other opening buy produces no economy. Even the mighty Masquerade needs to be opened with a Silver to have a high chance to both buy a $5 and trash.

The +Buy also means that you can easily trash Estates in hand by buying extra Coppers. Lastly, Gongfermor is potentially prone to first-player advantage in two-player games. Let’s say that I am first player and have 3/4, while you are second player and have 4/3. If you open Gongfermor and trash a key $5 or $6, I can respond by buying Gongfermor and trashing Curse. Then, I have a substantially greater than 50% chance to play my Gongfermor first, shutting you out of that key card. But if you don’t use your $4 to buy Gongfermor, I’ll just trash the key card myself. As second player, you are more likely to get the chance to choose what to trash second, but not mirroring is a losing proposition, so it’s to no advantage.

Lumberjack
Action - $5
+$4
+1 Buy
Discard half the cards in your hand (round down the number you discard).

Simple. Not overpowered in a money-heavy strategy. You’ll feel great when you turn the disadvantage into an advantage in decks like “draw to X”. But it’s generally less useful in the (in my opinion, fun) decks that accumulate large hand sizes, which probably makes it less fun than some of this week’s other entries.

Definitely this week’s most mind-bending entry. I worry that, in two-player games, the main uses would be 1) to put bad cards on top of good ones, or to rotate piles for which that has already been done, lengthening the game in annoying ways, or 2) to make piling out a lot easier by rotating away half of a pile. You did a great job on the FAQ! Short list.

Test Site • $5 • Action
+$3

You may pay up to half of your $ for the same number of +Actions.

You may pay up to half of your remaining $ for the same number of +Cards.

(Round down for both.)

A really interesting variant on Storyteller. More versatile at a cost of offering worse draw. The first one can be a Peddler if you haven’t earned any other $, making it an unofficial Peddler variant. Not enabling you to play Treasures during the Action phase also makes it much simpler than Storyteller, rules-wise. Tracking this in-person might be difficult, due to the highly variable effects and numbers of actions it can generate, but it’s probably not much more difficult than Broker. Short list

Gatherer - $5
Action

+2 Cards

Initially, it’s in effect a Laboratory that makes all of your other actions non-terminal too. But, once supply piles start declining, Gatherer or its friends become terminal. A really clever design and would lead to interesting player interactions. However, it seems too centralizing, at least in two-player games. I think it would be very rare that you’d expect piles to run out soon enough that you’d skip it.

As an online-only card, the tracking would work fine. But, in person it would be hard to carefully track the number of cards in each pile (both to see about the on-play effect and for strategic purposes) and might be challenging to remember which actions it applied to during a turn.

Quote from: Bookshop
+1 Action
+$1
If this is the first time you played a Bookshop this turn, +1 Card and +1 Buy.
+1 Card per $2 you have (round down)

Unlike with Storyteller, you do not lose your coins when you play Bookshop.
The first Bookshop you play will be a Market.  The next two (assuming you don't play other cards that give +$1) will be Peddlers, and only the fourth will increase your hand size.  So it takes work to get decent draw out them if you only intend to stack Bookshops, but the card will synergize well with other cards that give $ during your Action phase or the start of your turn.

Another really interesting Storyteller variant. It seems hard to make a card with Bookshop’s central effect balanced. Bookshop seems too centralizing on boards where there are easy ways to get $ during your Action phase. But, without the +1 Card and +1 Buy the first time you played Bookshop, it would be too weak on boards where there only way to generate $ before playing Bookshop is another Bookshop.

Added once per turn and another suggestions per others ideas.

Seems mainly useful at the very end of the game. Dominion already has a few cards that strongly encourage ending the game on your turn. Think Mining Village (so that you can trash them without ruining your deck) or Triumph (because it often gives so many points that, if you can manage to gain enough cards to end the game, it will provide the points to win). I find the strategic implications of those cards less fun, so I don’t think we need more.

Once per game: +2 Buys. Return up to 8 debt.
-

A good use of a once-per game effect. Having a one-time event be a “must buy” seems like less of an issue than it would be on a Kingdom card as long as it doesn’t completely transform your deck and eliminate much of the chance from the game (see: Donate). I believe that, most of the time, “double your $” would have the same impact though there are plenty of exceptions like Ball or Horn of Plenty, which offer nice interactions. Short list.

Parade
Project ($3)

At the end of your Buy phase, you may pay any amount of $ to draw extra cards for your next hand at a rate of 1 card per $2 spent.

Edit: I missed AJL828's card the first time I posted the judging. You compared it to Pageant, but it reminds me of Ride. The main advantages are that it doesn't take a buy each time you want to draw additional cards, and you get the cards right away instead of needing to wait until you draw your Horses. The main disadvantages are that you have to buy the Project before you can start converting extra $ to cards, and that by drawing the cards right away it is much more vulnerable to discard attacks. It seems like it would be weaker earlier on that Ride, but stronger later. Donald's secret history of Menagerie says that he briefly tried adding +1 Buy to Ride. I don't think that version of Ride would have been overpowered, but it might have made drawing cards a little simpler than desired. So I think this would be balanced, and converting $ to cards is a fun effect. Short list

Honorable mention: Sexton by xyz123, Stock Exchange by Commodore Chuckles, Pawn Shop by Xen3k, Debt Relief by UltimateGeek, Parade by AJL828

Second runner up: Graft by 4est

First runner up: Pigs by MochaMoko

Winner: Test Site by spineflu.

Congrats to spineflu, and thanks to everyone who participated!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 10:07:07 am by JW »

AJL828

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #150: Half! (Contest Judged)
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2022, 10:32:34 pm »
+2

My submission isn’t in the judging.

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2022, 12:25:53 am »
+2

My submission isn’t in the judging.

Really sorry about missing your card. I've added it now at the bottom of the post. I can confidently say that if I included it in the original judging, it wouldn't have won the contest. It's hard to say at this later judging if it would have placed as a runner-up, but I listed it as an honorable mention, which is the minimum it deserves. 

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2022, 12:51:15 am »
+3

spineflu's Test Site is listed as both an honorable mention and the winner.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2022, 01:14:35 am »

spineflu's Test Site is listed as both an honorable mention and the winner.

Fixed! Spineflu should just be listed as the winner. Attention to detail slipped a bit on the judging here.  :)

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +640
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2022, 03:22:51 am »
+1

Second runner up: Graft by faust
Graft was by 4est, not faust (but maybe those are pronounced almost the same?!)

Thanks for the contest and judging. It was narrow, but could be taken in lots of directions in the end. Not half bad.

Shares
$5* Treasure

-

It starts as a $0 cost treasure. As soon as you buy it, it now costs $1 so you can Exile it for $1. At least three need to be gained for it to produce at least $2 when Exiled. So, It doesn’t seem worth using a Buy on in the first place, unless it’s a multiplayer game and you know that others will mirror your strategy. Tracking how many cards are in the Shares pile for things like Salvager would probably be annoying in person.
I'd be surprised if this is not worth buying, at least if the kingdom has +Buy. I'll playtest it some. But I agree that the tracking could be annoying.

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2022, 10:07:50 am »

Second runner up: Graft by faust
Graft was by 4est, not faust (but maybe those are pronounced almost the same?!)

Thanks for the contest and judging. It was narrow, but could be taken in lots of directions in the end. Not half bad.

I see what you did there!  ;D And fixed!

Holger

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2022, 01:01:51 pm »
+1

Shares
$5* Treasure

-

I'd be surprised if this is not worth buying, at least if the kingdom has +Buy. I'll playtest it some. But I agree that the tracking could be annoying.

Weil, it's strictly worse than Stockpile until at least 7 copies have been gained. While the first 5 copies are cheaper than Stockpile, the lack of +Buy on the card still makes it much harder to piledrive than Stockpile, I think.

Compared to Stockpile, Shares have the potentially huge advantage that you can endlessly return them to your deck (at the cost of not using one copy for $). But this will only matter if the pile empties at all - which will probably require cheap/plentiful +Buy or a Workshop variant in the kingdom.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 01:09:08 pm by Holger »
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 20 queries.