Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Getting Envious or Deluded at start of buy phase (Market Towns)  (Read 629 times)

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile

At the start of your Buy phase, you play a Leprechaun with Market Towns, and get a Hex. (It's also possible to get a Hex in more complicated ways.)

1) If you get Envious, do you have to return it now, or can you want until next turn? (I assume now.)

2) If you already have Envious, and you return it before playing Leprechaun, and you get Envious again, do you return it again this turn? (I assume yes.)

Obviously if you have already have Envious, it's better to keep it before playing Leprechaun.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Envious or Deluded at start of buy phase (Market Towns)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 01:51:16 pm »
+3

At the start of your Buy phase, you play a Leprechaun with Market Towns, and get a Hex. (It's also possible to get a Hex in more complicated ways.)

1) If you get Envious, do you have to return it now, or can you want until next turn? (I assume now.)

2) If you already have Envious, and you return it before playing Leprechaun, and you get Envious again, do you return it again this turn? (I assume yes.)

Obviously if you have already have Envious, it's better to keep it before playing Leprechaun.
Envious and Market Towns both trigger on the start of the Buy phase and resolve normally. So yes you return it now, and can sometimes return it multiple times even.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 03:35:29 pm »
+2

Now I remember why I asked the second question. It turns out that you ruled - tentatively - that Lost in the Woods does not trigger a second time if you get it back during start-of-turn. Shouldn't the ruling be the same for these two scenarios?

The question could also be asked about Treasure Chest (which was brought up in the other thread). You could resolve it at the start of your Buy phase, then lose it and regain it in the same window. Can you resolve it again for a second Gold?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2022, 02:18:36 am »
+3

Now I remember why I asked the second question. It turns out that you ruled - tentatively - that Lost in the Woods does not trigger a second time if you get it back during start-of-turn. Shouldn't the ruling be the same for these two scenarios?

The question could also be asked about Treasure Chest (which was brought up in the other thread). You could resolve it at the start of your Buy phase, then lose it and regain it in the same window. Can you resolve it again for a second Gold?
There's only one Lost in the Woods and Treasure Chest, but there are multiple copies of Envious. We don't know if we have the same one; hence we have to conclude that we don't. Right? I am not possibly saying, keep track of whether you took the same copy of Envious or not. But we know we have the same Lost in the Woods. So the cases are actually different.

Despite that it's probably simpler to say that they all trigger repeatedly. They feel similar.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2022, 04:26:14 am »
+1

One way of looking at Envious (which Ingix mentioned in the other thread) is that it's unique to each player. On the other hand, they don't have player colors.

Anyway, with this ruling they all behave more like normal cards; they don't remember. I think that makes sense, because making a distinction based on uniqueness seems a bit inconsistent, since some cards are also uniqe (Prizes, Knights, etc.).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.