Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Is Rebuild ever fun?  (Read 4644 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Is Rebuild ever fun?
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2022, 12:30:40 pm »

If anything, terminal Rebuild would be even more monolithic. There's less action space in your deck.

Imrahil3

• Bishop
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2022, 12:49:21 pm »

If anything, terminal Rebuild would be even more monolithic. There's less action space in your deck.

But it would force more support to be able to play more than one per turn, wouldn’t it? I haven’t played Rebuild a ton, so I’m not sure how important it is to play more than one at a time.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2022, 01:31:24 pm »
+4

Imagine Goons with +1 action. The point of a terminal rebuild is to make it harder to simply spam a good card, not that good cards shouldn't exist.
My opponent has more loot than me

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2022, 03:53:50 pm »
+3

Rebuild could be compared to Distant Lands.  Unlike Distant Lands, it's non-terminal, only gives 2-3 VP, and isn't a one-shot.  But I think what really makes Rebuild distinct is the way it drains Victory piles, particularly Provinces.  A VP card needs to drain piles to prevent stalemates, but draining Provinces with a non-terminal $5 is too much.  If Rebuild didn't do that, I think it would be fine in the same way Distant Lands is fine.

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2022, 04:47:24 pm »

It's like Distant Lands in that it's a card you play to get VP ...and is basically different in every other way ;)

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2022, 05:50:52 pm »
+5

Gherald, you seem interested in tearing other people's analysis down for your own amusement.  You might have considered that my point was to identify the differences and think about which difference was most important.  I'm not going to interact with you again.

Imrahil3

• Bishop
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2022, 11:05:34 pm »
+2

Needing splitters for terminals to work has little to do with how centralizing a card is. Goons is not non-centralizing because it is terminal.

But it makes it harder to spam them. If Rebuild was terminal there is a very real chance you could lose just because your Rebuilds collided one too many times.

Non terminal Rebuild is a one-horse engine. Terminal Rebuild is risky without Villages and That essentially forces you into building a regular engine with draw and trashing and suddenly Rebuild is just Expand but only for Victory cards.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2022, 11:27:44 pm »
+2

I just played a game online with rebuild and embargo in the set. My opponent went right for the rebuild strategy while I went for embargo and I was able to embargo the duchy pile twice before he got his first duchy. Then I embargoed it again and he ended up with all the curses. All 10 curses! And no way to trash the curses! We also had salt the earth and I trashed 2 duchies and 1 estate which got me 3 victory tokens. And I had 3 provinces at the end of the game. And won by 1 point!

So if you want to try to stop opponents from using rebuild, try a game with salt the earth and embargo too! And no other trashers! Which I guess won’t randomly happen in an online game very often.

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2022, 01:58:39 am »

Rebuild games are usually about winning or at least breaking even on the Duchy split (promote 3 estates and buy the 4th duchy to prevent your opponent from getting it, generally) -- but with Duchies embargoed and esp. with no trashing it makes more sense to gain some estates and promote those.

Salt the Earth can throw a wrench into any VP plan, but I'm not sure its presence makes Rebuild any less viable relative to alternatives.. maybe if it's used to deplete duchies too quickly.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2022, 02:06:11 am »
+3

I just played a game online with rebuild and embargo in the set. My opponent went right for the rebuild strategy while I went for embargo and I was able to embargo the duchy pile twice before he got his first duchy. Then I embargoed it again and he ended up with all the curses. All 10 curses! And no way to trash the curses! We also had salt the earth and I trashed 2 duchies and 1 estate which got me 3 victory tokens. And I had 3 provinces at the end of the game. And won by 1 point!

So if you want to try to stop opponents from using rebuild, try a game with salt the earth and embargo too! And no other trashers! Which I guess won’t randomly happen in an online game very often.

If Rebuild is correct in the set, the opponent can just buy more Rebuilds and Estates instead of Duchies. It's a bit slower than buying Duchies but not as much as gaining 10 Curses.

Salt the Earth just helps the Rebuild player end the game faster.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2022, 05:12:47 pm »

no.

it's why i have it banned.

It's never ever fun.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2022, 05:15:34 pm »

No; it earned its place on the banlist next to Wall and Annex as decidedly unfun cards.

I like Wall, I'm surprised how often I see it on ban lists.

totally agree.  The weird wall interplay is a lot of fun with making a fine tuned deck.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2022, 05:16:59 pm »

Annex? People care about Annex? Is there a less relevant event? :o

Raid.

I also have this banned.  But sheerly out of how bad it is.  I'd rather have any other event than this in play.

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 21 queries.