Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Is Rebuild ever fun?  (Read 4636 times)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
Is Rebuild ever fun?
« on: April 11, 2022, 07:33:38 pm »
+4

Rebuild is generally not fun to play with because even if it doesn't automatically win, it still interacts with so very few other cards. Since it upgrades things that AREN'T in your hand and don't ever NEED to be in your hand, you don't want to draw and you don't want to trash.

Having said that, has anyone actually had a game where Rebuild was interesting? I remember at least one game where it had a somewhat interesting interaction with Wild Hunt, gaining Estates and then upgrading them.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Is Rebuild ever fun?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 12:24:02 am »
+2

It's not substantially less fun than a big money game, but it makes the game way faster, which means you get a chance to roll a more interesting kingdom faster. So, overall, Rebuild increases the amount of fun you have.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 11:15:01 am »
+3

It's not substantially less fun than a big money game, but it makes the game way faster, which means you get a chance to roll a more interesting kingdom faster. So, overall, Rebuild increases the amount of fun you have.

Wait until you hear about how fast a turn 1 resign speeds up the game.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 03:34:55 pm »
+1

If only my opponents would do that more often when Rebuild comes up 8)

---
Really if you hate the card, add it to your ban list; Donald doesn't seem to be a fan of it either.

There are a number of cards I consider less fun, so for me it's not a big deal; the inevitable Rebuild mirror matches are at least reasonably balanced and over quickly as mentioned.

People rated lower than ~60 can often seem to fall into the trap of rushing it too quickly (like as their first $5), without getting just a little bit of economy first. You want to be able to hit $5 regularly and have a reasonable chance at spiking $8 if the board permits
My opponent has more loot than me

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 03:44:33 pm »
+1

No; it earned its place on the banlist next to Wall and Annex as decidedly unfun cards.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 05:23:44 pm »
+6

I like Rebuild quite a lot overall. The standard Rebuild thing is a unique deck in Dominion. It's a bit boring but still has some deck composition choices, deck tracking stuff, and interactive/endgame VP stuff. I can appreciate playing it in the uncommon cases nowadays that you both see Rebuild and that deck looks good. The fast pace is nice.

Rebuild's low level of interactivity with other kingdom cards has at least one upside to me, it can result in very divergent decks if people don't mirror. It's fun to see games where it's the kingdom vs Rebuild. People probably hate this about it, but the fact that Rebuild with decent draws can put pressure on a lot of decks can add some tension to games, even when Rebuild is not very good.

I wouldn't want to play it as often as you did when Dark Ages released, but in this card pool I'm a fan.

Once in a blue moon you can roll a board where the VP upgrading is good engine payload and you have control of what the Rebuild hits through discard stuff or whatever.

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 05:45:33 pm »
+2

[Rebuild] earned its place on the banlist next to Wall and Annex as decidedly unfun cards.
Annex? People care about Annex? Is there a less relevant event? :o

As Empire landscapes go, surely Triumphal Arch is the most annoying to bother tracking, I ban it :)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 08:19:23 pm »
+2

No; it earned its place on the banlist next to Wall and Annex as decidedly unfun cards.

I like Wall, I'm surprised how often I see it on ban lists.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2022, 09:52:45 pm »

[Rebuild] earned its place on the banlist next to Wall and Annex as decidedly unfun cards.

As Empire landscapes go, surely Triumphal Arch is the most annoying to bother tracking, I ban it :)
I care about the cards I roll being consequential but not centralizing, so quest and annex get the snip for not being the former

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2022, 12:40:35 am »
+4

Raid.

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2022, 09:48:48 am »

I definitely buy Raid more often than Annex even excluding Feodum boards, but I suppose both are similarly low-impact.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2022, 10:00:07 am »

I definitely buy Raid more often than Annex even excluding Feodum boards, but I suppose both are similarly low-impact.

Annex turns a spare buy into 3 VP for whoever is ending the game, that's not nothing.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2022, 11:48:58 am »

Indeed, that's almost all it does

Quite funny to see someone call it out as worth banning when 99% of the time you can just pretend you're playing without it
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 04:34:21 pm by Gherald »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2022, 09:42:00 pm »
+4

Quite funny to see someone call it out as worth banning when 99% of the time you can just pretend you're playing without it

The reason some people ban useless things like Annex is because they're taking up the place where something better can be if you're playing full random.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2022, 02:10:52 am »

The reason some people ban useless things like Annex is because they're taking up the place where something better can be if you're playing full random.

That makes sense for kingdom cards, but in most cases, if you ban Annex, you just get one fewer thing in the kingdom where Annex would have otherwise shown up.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2022, 04:12:13 pm »

For me rebuild is a so-so card. If you only have 15 minutes to play not including the set up and time it takes to put it away, then rebuild is just about the only card you can play with to end it that fast, except for maybe I’ll gotten gains in a 2 player game. So I first started playing with it I found it amazing and I liked it, but now I realize that it ruins the strategy of dominion. If rebuild is in the game the player who can buy the estates and rebuilds the fastest will usually win unless your able to buy some duchies to block some estates turning into duchies. But yeah the majority of the other cards are ignored in a game of rebuild.

Oh yeah don’t you think it’s interesting Donald’s favorite card is rats! I also personally love playing with rats!

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2022, 10:38:51 am »
+1

I personally have never played with Rebuild in person, since it's on my ban list in my randomizer app. It feels like it would a lot slower, as all digging cards are. For people who have done it, was it bearable?

Overall, I don't hate the card as much as I did maybe 6 years ago when I first got into the game. But I would still rather play a game without it than with it, so it's on my banlist online as well.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2022, 05:24:27 pm »

That makes sense for kingdom cards, but in most cases, if you ban Annex, you just get one fewer thing in the kingdom where Annex would have otherwise shown up.

If you follow the rule recommendation, with now over 130 existing landscapes, most full random kingdoms will have the maximum two landscapes. So keeping Annex does often mean having one fewer thing that is relevant.

Holger

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2022, 05:31:18 pm »

I personally have never played with Rebuild in person, since it's on my ban list in my randomizer app. It feels like it would a lot slower, as all digging cards are. For people who have done it, was it bearable?

I haven't played Rebuild with physical cards yet, where the digging may be time-consuming (though probably less so than e.g. Hunting Party, because you can see at first glance whether you keep digging or not).

Online, Rebuild's digging takes practically no time, as there's no decisions involved until a victory card has been found.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2022, 01:08:55 am »
+2

I don’t get why people defend the most ridiculously overpowered card in the game. It is a conditional cantrip Expand for $5, that is beyond lunatic.

By that logic, Mine is an Expand that gains to hand for $5 and must be one of the most ridiculously overpowered cards in the game as well.

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2022, 01:37:52 am »

If only treasures were powerful ;D

I think Donald said Rebuild would be better without the +action, which seems right.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2022, 10:42:01 pm »
+1

I don’t get why people defend the most ridiculously overpowered card in the game. It is a conditional cantrip Expand for $5, that is beyond lunatic.

By that logic, Mine is an Expand that gains to hand for $5 and must be one of the most ridiculously overpowered cards in the game as well.

Rebuild might actually be fun if trashed from your hand like Expand and Mine. That would at least encourage you to buy things that put Victory cards into your hand (like Scout!)

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2022, 02:30:26 am »
+1

I always find it funny when you combine Rebuild with draw engines and are annoyed the victory card you wan to target is in your hand with no way to discard it.

Holger

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2022, 01:04:50 pm »
+1

If only treasures were powerful ;D

I think Donald said Rebuild would be better without the +action, which seems right.

Maybe. But a BM strategy with such a "terminal Rebuild" is barely stronger than Smithy-BM according to simulations, so terminal Rebuild would probably be too weak to matter on many boards.

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2022, 09:56:11 am »

It's not like Expand and Mine are particularly game-breaking either. They can't all be the best card ever.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.