Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Mechanics Week #34: Equipment  (Read 2130 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
Fan Mechanics Week #34: Equipment
« on: April 09, 2022, 01:03:50 am »
+4

So... Let's use a mechanic by gambit05 that I thought was interesting, Equipment Cards.

From his post:
Overview
Equipment cards are non-Supply cards that are not part of a pile, likewise Shelters and Heirlooms, and usually come in a single copy per player. If a certain Kingdom card is included in a game, each player gets the associated Equipment card(s). At the start of the game, players put the Equipment cards next to them and add them to their deck under certain circumstances via a process called Equip.

Color code
Kingdom cards that have associated Equipment cards have a light blue banner that names its Equipment card(s) (adapted from the yellow banner of Heirlooms from Nocturne). Equipment cards are labeled with the Equipment type and colored in light blue (instead of the white-greyish color for the Action type). This is combined with other colors (e.g. black for Night, yellow for Treasure) where required. Some Equipment cards can be put on the player’s Cabinet mats to modify or activate abilities. Each player has their own Cabinet mat. Those Cabinet-Equipment cards are specified by the Cabinet type and have, in addition to the light blue Equipment type color, a tan-colored text field (akin to the Reserve cards of Adventures). Cards on the Cabinet mat still count as part of the player’s decks, whenever this is relevant (e.g. for Gardens at the end of the game).

Equip
Equipment cards enter the game via the instruction Equip. This can occur through the respective Kingdom card or when a specific event happens. Equipping of some of the Equipment cards is mandatory, whereas it is optional for others. Before being Equipped, Equipment cards are in a “stand by” mode, and as such do not count as part of the players’ decks. If not otherwise specified, Equipping an Equipment card means that the card is put to the player’s discard pile. This is neither gaining nor discarding them and thus doesn’t trigger any events such as “when you gain a card…” or “when you discard…”. Once Equipped, Equipment cards are part of the players’ decks, unless they are trashed or removed in some other ways.

Take a look at his thread for some examples.
(Since gambit05 went into some detail about colors and stuff, I feel like reminding you that whether you have mock-ups or not will make no difference in my judging.)

UltimateGeek

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Mechanics Week #34: Equipment
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 11:38:39 am »
+4

$5 Action - Duration - Liaison: Singer-Songwriter
+1 Favor
Gain a non-duration action card costing up to $4 and set it aside.
If you did, choose one: play it now; or play it at the start of your next turn.
-
When you discard this from play, Equip your Amplifier.
-
Equipment: Amplifier

$0 Action - Cabinet - Equipment: Amplifier
Put this on your Cabinet mat.
-
If this is on your Cabinet mat, when you play a set-aside card, double one of the following it gives you: $, Action, Buy, Card, Coffer, Favor, Villager.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 01:53:01 pm »
+2

this is kinda funny because this was what i considered making the weeks theme before i realized i needed to take it easy.
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 09:26:48 am »
+4

Quote from: Arrow
Action - Equipment - $0
+3 Cards
Name an Action or Treasure card.  Discard any number of cards, then reveal that many cards from your deck. Set aside any revealed copies of the named card and discard the rest.  Play the set-aside cards.

Quote from: Army of Archers
Ally
At the start of your turn, you may spend 2 Favors to Equip an Arrow.
Equipment: Arrow

Each player has 3 Arrows available to them.

EDIT: Re-worded Arrow and reduced the number available to each player. Added mock-ups.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 10:57:33 am by Timinou »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 07:44:07 pm »
+3

Scrapper
Action - $4
+1 Buy
Trash a card from your hand. If it cost $4 or more, equip your Scrapyard. Cards cost $1 less this turn.

Scrapyard
Action - Equipment - $5
+2 Cards
+4 Actions
Gain 3 Coppers to your hand.

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 07:28:32 am »
+1

Racecourse
$5 Action
Equipment: Floodlights

+1VP
Gain two Horses.
You may equip your Floodlights.

Floodlights
$0 Night-Equipment

+3 Cards
Discard down to 3 cards in hand and ignore any further +Cards you get this turn.
You may play Action cards in your Night phase this turn.

Floodlights can be really useful at night time, depending on the kingdom. Some kingdoms won't have much that you want to do in your Night phase, but there will be Racecourse at least.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 03:31:37 pm »
+3

Plowright • $5 • Action
+3 Cards
+1 Buy

If this is not the only Action Card you have in play, you may discard 5 cards from your hand to equip your Plow.
Equipment: Plow
Plow • $0* • Dawn - Action - Reaction - Equipment
If its your Dawn Phase, +3 Cards.

Otherwise, +1 Action, and you may trash a card from your hand to gain a card with a same type costing up to double the trashed card's cost.
-
When you discard this from your hand (including during Clean Up), you may reveal it to put it onto your deck.

i don't think i've ever made a 4-color card before. It was originally "if this is the first card you play on your turn" but shortening it to the "dawn phase" part made it larger text.
You may say, wow, discarding five cards, that sounds expensive. Yeah. It's basically "skip your buy phase", or at least, undo the effects of this card and then some.

The remodel part on Plow seems like a fun different way to do remodeling. did a revision to clean up the language on Plow.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 12:52:40 pm by spineflu »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2022, 11:57:49 am »
+4

My Submission:

Confidence Artist • $4 • Action - Attack
+$2
Choose one: each other player discards a card or gains
a Copper to their hand (their choice); or trash this for
+$1 and to trash your hand.

Equipment: Shell Game
Shell Game • $0 • Action - Equipment
+1 Action
Discard 2 cards. If you discarded at least one, +3 Cards.

After you play an Action card, if you have no cards in hand, Equip this.

Here's my submission. For some reason I found designing this cards to be unusually challenging (I've also been very busy at work, so somewhat distracted). My submission is Confidence Artist and Shell Game. Confidence Artist is a terminal silver with a weakened version of the Torturer attack (requiring only 1 card discarded and junking with Copper instead of Curses) with an alternative option to trash it and your hand (and get $1 more, so players can at least be assured of hitting $3 and having access to Silver). The attack is relatively weak and the trashing is dangerously imprecise, but together they probably make it worth buying in a fair number of games.

Shell Game is a relatively weak cantrip sifter. It is considerably weaker than Forum, as you have to discard first (except in the rare case when you have SG and exactly 1 other card, which leaves you with 3 cards as opposed to the 2 you would have with Forum). Using CA's trashing ability will Equip it, and depending on the board there may be some other ways to do that as well.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2022, 09:52:34 pm »
+2

24 hour warning

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2022, 05:02:52 pm »

Two seperate ideas: I wanted to do a courtier-exiler. And a "one-shotey" Throned overlord. not sure they gel that well together
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

jakav

• Baron
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2022, 05:23:42 pm »

Wagon and Overpass are my submission. Overpass costs $7 to avoid Knights and other similar cards. Overpass is a powerful permanent cost reduction, but at the cost of losing two turns, one to buy the Wagon and another for equipping. It still should be a good investment in many games, a bigger Canal.
--Jakav--

(Why shouldn't signatures be like the above?)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2022, 12:16:51 am »

Contest closed
doing the judging now...

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2022, 01:54:25 am »
+3

Singer-Songwriter
$5 Action - Duration - Liaison
+1 Favor
Gain a non-duration action card costing up to $4 and set it aside.
If you did, choose one: play it now; or play it at the start of your next turn.
-
When you discard this from play, Equip your Amplifier.

Amplifier
$0 Action - Cabinet - Equipment
Put this on your Cabinet mat.
-
If this is on your Cabinet mat, when you play a set-aside card, double one of the following it gives you: $, Action, Buy, Card, Coffer, Favor, Villager.
Nice theming. It probably doesn't need the +1 Favor part. I hope you have enough +actions to play your Amplifier before playing the Singer-Songwriter or else you have to save the gained card for next turn in order to get part of it doubled. Maybe Amplifier should have +1 Action. As-is, it seems like cumbersome equipment (which is also thematic I guess, considering you're lugging that Amplifier around with you). Otherwise, I like it.

Army of Archers
Ally
At the start of your turn, you may spend 2 Favors to Equip an Arrow.
Each player has 3 Arrows available to them.

Arrow
Action - Equipment - $0
+3 Cards
Name an Action or Treasure card. Discard any number of cards, then reveal that many cards from your deck. Set aside any revealed copies of the named card and discard the rest. Play the set-aside cards.
Arrow is a smithy plus, but the plus part is kind of awkward, and only works well if you either have a bunch of copies of cards with the same name in your deck, or if you can somehow arrange your deck four+ cards deep (with a few Secret Passages maybe?), or if your deck only has a few cards left and you remember what they are and there's more than one copy of a card you want to play there. In other words, I would like this entry much better if Arrows were simpler and/or easier to use for more than a straight smithy. Having an Ally that lets your get your Equipment is a cool idea though.

Scrapper
Action - $4
+1 Buy
Trash a card from your hand. If it cost $4 or more, equip your Scrapyard. Cards cost $1 less this turn.

Scrapyard
Action - Equipment - $5
+2 Cards
+4 Actions
Gain 3 Coppers to your hand.
I like Scrapper, but you probably want stronger (or additional) trashing if you want to get much use out of Scrapyard. If there is more trashing, then Scrapyard looks like a strong card. Gaining the Coppers to your hand doesn't seem nearly as bad as gaining them to the discard pile, especially when you're more likely to draw your trasher after playing a lost city variant. Even if Scrapper is the only trashing, it'll be worth using Scrapyard for the last few turns of the game at least. Hard to know without trying it out, but the more I think about it, the more I like it.

Racecourse
$5 Action
+1VP
Gain two Horses.

Floodlights
$0 Night-Equipment

+3 Cards
Discard down to 3 cards in hand and ignore any further +Cards you get this turn.
Floodlights seems like a good way to make use of Action cards in the Night phase. Even if you use it just to play a couple Racecourses, it seems well worth it as a way to make them nonterminal. OTOH, I don't see why it has to be at night. It's effect is like giving a few Villagers that only work with certain Action cards, which is fine but a little weird. (I'm assuming that the Action cards you play at night don't cost an Action to play, but the wording isn't clear about that. You might want to clarify.)

Plowright • $5 • Action
+3 Cards
+1 Buy

If this is not the only Action Card you have in play, you may discard 5 cards from your hand to equip your Plow.
Equipment: Plow

Plow • $0* • Dawn - Action - Reaction - Equipment
If it's your Dawn Phase, +3 Cards.

Otherwise, +1 Action, and you may trash a card from your hand to gain a card with a same type costing up to double the trashed card's cost.
-
When you discard this from your hand (including during Clean Up), you may reveal it to put it onto your deck.
Plow is strong but it does have a significant cost to Equip it (assuming you don't have Cursed Village after playing Plowright), and the fact that there's only one per player helps. I imagine players will be wishing they could get more than one Plowright, but that's fine. It's interesting that it's either a double lab or a unique Remodel variant. It can turn Duchy into Province into Colony, or Silver into Gold into Platinum, but it doesn't work on Coppers or Estates (unless there's a $3-4 alt-vp card of course). I want to test it now.

Confidence Artist • $4 • Action - Attack
+$2
Choose one: each other player discards a card or gains
a Copper to their hand (their choice); or trash this for
+$1 and to trash your hand.

Equipment: Shell Game

Shell Game • $0 • Action - Equipment
+1 Action
Discard 2 cards. If you discarded at least one, +3 Cards.

After you play an Action card, if you have no cards in hand, Equip this.
It may be very hard to get Shell Game on a lot of boards unless other player(s) are playing a lot of Con Artists. Shell game probably isn't strong enough to need such a restrictive way to get it. Otherwise, both cards look fine to me. I guess you usually want two Con Artists, one mainly for the trashing, and one mainly for the attack.

Iconoclaust
$5 - Action
Exile a card from your hand. For each type it has, choose one: +2 Cards, discard 2 cards; Equip your Exotic Brew; Gain a cheaper card sharing a type with [the Exiled card]; or play an Action or Treasure you have in Exile.

Exotic Brew
$6 - Action - Cabinet - Command
Play an Action card from the supply twice, leaving it there.
-
At the end of your turn, put this on your Cabinet Mat.
This Equipment has the opposite problem as Shell game. Exotic Brew is very strong and probably should be harder to get. Iconoclaust could use better wording for clarity imo, but it also has potential to be quite strong. Might be fun to exile Dame Josephine to Equip the Exotic Brew and play three Actions or Treasures you have in Exile, so you might want to say the choices must be different. Also, as-is the card you play from Exile leaves Exile when you play it, and I'm not sure if that's what you intended.

Wagon
$3 - Action
+1 Card, +1 Action
You may skip a turn to Equip your Overpass.

Overpass
$7 - Action - Equipment
+1 Card, +1 Action
You may put this on your Cabinet Mat.
-
While this is on your Cabinet Mat, cards cost $2 less on your turns.
Another interesting idea. I don't like that after each player gets one Wagon, the rest of the Wagon pile is (mostly) pointless. Wagon's effect might work better on an Event, but then it gets too similar to Canal. The idea may be worth trying, but I don't think there's much reason for it to use the Equipment mechanic.

2nd Runner up: Plow & Plowright by spineflu

Runner up: Racecourse & Floodlights by infangthief

Winner: Scrapper & Scrapyard by Commodore Chuckles

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2022, 07:53:56 am »
+1

Racecourse
$5 Action
+1VP
Gain two Horses.

Floodlights
$0 Night-Equipment

+3 Cards
Floodlights seems like a good way to make use of Action cards in the Night phase. Even if you use it just to play a couple Racecourses, it seems well worth it as a way to make them nonterminal. OTOH, I don't see why it has to be at night. It's effect is like giving a few Villagers that only work with certain Action cards, which is fine but a little weird. (I'm assuming that the Action cards you play at night don't cost an Action to play, but the wording isn't clear about that. You might want to clarify.)

Cool. Thanks for your thoughts and judging.
Yes, the idea is that you don't use Actions to play the Action cards at night. And maybe it would work without the Night mechanism, but I like the weirdness/awkwardness/situationalness of only some things being worth doing at night time. (And it was just flavour driven once I'd decided I wanted my equipment to be called Floodlights!)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2022, 10:05:16 pm »
+5

Thank you, LibraryAdventurer! I will try to get the next contest up tomorrow.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.