Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #148: Expand The Kingdom  (Read 6974 times)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #148: Expand The Kingdom
« on: April 05, 2022, 11:05:18 pm »
+7

Your challenge this week is to design something that introduces at least one additional Kingdom card into the game. Examples would be Black Market, Young Witch and Way Of The Mouse.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 11:43:34 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #148: Expand The Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2022, 11:21:01 pm »
+6

Excavate

Project
When you gain or trash a Treasure, +1 Villager.
Setup: Add an extra Kingdom card pile that is a Treasure.

Feedback on the power level appreciated. To be interesting in its own set, it would have to be in a set with at least two Kingdom card treasures. Conveniently, Renaissance has three.

The original card name was “Mine doesn’t suck now, dammit!”

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 03:41:16 am »
+16

Fief - $3
Action

Discard a card for + $3.
You may rotate the Fief pile.
-
Setup: Make a split pile out of these and 4 copies each of a random unused Kingdom card costing $4, $5 and $6.

FAQ:
- The cards start in ascending cost order, with Fief on top.
- There are 4 Fiefs.
- You may not select a Kingdom card of which there are less than 4 copies, e.g. Dame Anna or Small Castle.
- The Fief pile is considered the pile of the Kingdom cards used, when you need to return them to the supply.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 03:49:02 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 09:13:17 am »
+2

EDIT: Submission withdrawn...can't think of a suitable fix at this time, so I'll file it away for the future.

Amped-up reincarnation of Sheepdog-WotM...I made this a pure Reaction card to avoid having 2 dividing lines (and microscopic text), but this could make it a dead card in some Kingdoms depending on what the Fealty card is.

Feedback welcome!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 01:51:21 pm by Timinou »

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 10:55:56 am »

Fief - $3
Action

Discard a card for + $3.
You may rotate the Fief pile.
-
Setup: Make a split pile out of these and 4 copies each of a random unused Kingdom card costing $4, $5 and $6.

Great entry, 9 upvotes already, contest over? In honour of this maybe I should change my name to infangfief.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2022, 10:59:24 am »
+3

I am withdrawing this entry.
While I am not giving up on the concept presented here, it simply does not qualify for this contest.

I am currently working on a new gameplay mechanic consisting of Boroughs and Folks. It's been tested a little bit (some adjustments still needed to individual cards). The idea is to have 2 random halves of a card form a whole new effect.

Rules:

• Folks are landscape cards. Use no more than 1 per game and respect the 2 Landscapes max thingy.
  • If you have a Folk slotted into your Kingdom, add a random Borough (a pile of 10 non-Supply cards).
  • The cost of the Folk is itself + that of the selected Borough (so if it costs and the Borough costs , the Folk landscape would cost to buy).
  • Once you buy a Folk, gain a Borough. You do not get the effects of the Folk, you just gain a Borough.
  • When you play a Borough, do its effects, then do the effects of the Folk.
Examples:

So you could have a Royal Mansion, for instance. A Silver costing a whopping that lets you Throne something. Or a Migrant Suburb, a nice trasher that could let you draw up to 5 cards if you trash another one.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 09:11:54 am by X-tra »
Bottom text

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2022, 11:35:53 am »
+1

I like the modular concept of the Boroughs and Folks.  IMO, I would suggest putting some text on the Boroughs stating that you should resolve the effects of the Folk.

Just to confirm, do you resolve the effect of the Folk when you buy it, or do you just gain the Borough?

FWIW, Royal + Municipality looks pretty strong for $5 since you don't need to throne a non-terminal in order to get the village effect.  But I suppose not being able to throne itself is a clear downside, so maybe $5 is OK.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2022, 11:41:49 am »
+2

My Submission:

Quote from: Spellcaster's Guild
Spellcaster's Guild • Ally
After playing a Liaison, you may spend 3 Favors to play one of the set aside cards, leaving it there.

Setup: Set aside 2 unused Actions costing $4.

I've still got Allies on my mind. This is an Ally version of Way of the Mouse. It uses stronger cards, and uses 2 of them. To avoid goofy openings with Importer, I made it trigger on-play-Liaison, which I actually think makes it more interesting.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2022, 12:15:58 pm »

I like the modular concept of the Boroughs and Folks.  IMO, I would suggest putting some text on the Boroughs stating that you should resolve the effects of the Folk.

Just to confirm, do you resolve the effect of the Folk when you buy it, or do you just gain the Borough?

FWIW, Royal + Municipality looks pretty strong for $5 since you don't need to throne a non-terminal in order to get the village effect.  But I suppose not being able to throne itself is a clear downside, so maybe $5 is OK.

You just gain the Borough upon buying a Folk. The effects are only for the on-play of the Borough. The suggestion for the helpful text on the Borough seems like a nice thing to have, I'll consider it! :)
Bottom text

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2022, 12:22:55 pm »
+1

My Submission:

Quote from: Spellcaster's Guild
Spellcaster's Guild • Ally
After playing a Liaison, you may spend 3 Favors to play one of the set aside cards, leaving it there.

Setup: Set aside 2 unused Actions costing $4.

I've still got Allies on my mind. This is an Ally version of Way of the Mouse. It uses stronger cards, and uses 2 of them. To avoid goofy openings with Importer, I made it trigger on-play-Liaison, which I actually think makes it more interesting.

Uh... wow, hahaha! Talk about coincidence. No longer than one contest ago, this was my entry:

Here's Way of the Mou- I mean, Loyal Companion, yes yes.

Well, it's not 100% the same, but the similarities are palpable, even throughout the cost restriction of on the below-the-line effect!

A thing I've since come to realize since last contest, is that this Ally suffers from tracking problems if the set-aside card is a Duration card. I considered adding this restriction, and I think it makes the card healthier with it (hopefully, this doesn't add another line).
Bottom text

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2022, 12:30:30 pm »
+4

Rally
Action ($3)

+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Put the Supporter cards into your hand and put the rest back in any order.
---
Setup: Add an extra Kingdom card pile costing $2, $3, or $4 to the Supply. Cards from that pile are Supporter cards.

The non terminal draw counterpart to Young Witch. Its usefulness will vary considerably depending on the Supporter card (cantrips that can be easily gained like Magpie and Port seem pretty good, but a bad terminal like Fortune Teller means this is probably skippable). I know Young Witch only allows $2 or $3 cards, but for this card I think going up to $4 makes it more useful (there are a good chunk of nice $4 engine pieces, like the two I mentioned) and it also allows for more fun.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2022, 02:38:12 pm »

Facilitator
$4
Action-Command

Play one of the set-aside cards leaving it there.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2022, 05:44:19 pm »

It guarantees that there will be +Buy in the kingdom (yay) which means the cost reduction will probably be more helpful.  Then again, the 3 locked piles could be duchess, explorer, and harvest, and then key becomes a copper for $4...(not yay). Such is the way with cards that rely on other cards, like Commander, Prince, etc.

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2022, 01:58:59 am »
+2

UPDATE: Updated to make Foreign card piles have 8 copies, so, to Foreign Lands worth 5VPs in a 2 player game, you have to win both splits. Also add that Foreign cards pile don't count to end game, because they make easier to 3-pile, specially in multiplayer game.  Foreign Lands itself counts.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 04:02:20 am by Carline »

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2022, 04:41:41 am »

Trading Vessel
$4 Action-Duration-Liaison

Now and at the start of your next turn: +$2 and +1 Buy. Until then, when another player plays a Raft card they get +1 Favor.
----
Setup: Add an extra Action card pile to the Supply. Cards from that pile are Raft cards.

It's a cheaper Merchant Ship that lets other players get Favors.

Firestix

• Swindler
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2022, 09:30:08 am »
+1

*Edit 1: Changed the cost from $4 to $5.
*Edit 2: Changed the wording on Divine Right to account for mechanics such as Exile, Emulation, and others.

My Submission

Quote from: Crusader
Crusader ($5 Action - Attack)
+$2
Choose one: Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand; or take Divine Right.

Setup: Set aside an extra kingdom pile outside of the supply that has only victory cards. Cards from that pile are Holy Land cards.
Quote from: Divine Right
Divine Right (State)
During your turn, cards in the Holy Land pile are considered in the Supply and can be gained, bought, or otherwise interacted with.
  • It is either a slightly more expensive Militia or a terminal silver that can give you access to a source of alt-VP.
  • Cards from the Holy Land pile cannot be gained or bought unless you have the Divine Right.
  • There is only one Divine Right. It can be taken by other players that play Crusader (like Lost in the Woods).
  • The caveat "that has only victory cards" is to prevent the use of split piles that have cards that aren't victory cards in them. The Odysseys, despite containing Distant Shore, would be ineligible for Holy Land. The Castles are eligible since they all have the victory typing.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 10:17:50 pm by Firestix »

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2022, 10:52:52 am »
+4

I like this, but isn't Crusader strictly better than Militia?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2022, 11:05:30 am »
+10

Middleman: Action, $4
Gain the top card of the Imports deck.

Setup: Shuffle together three unused non-Attack Action piles costing $5 face down. This is the Imports deck.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2022, 11:11:42 am »
+4

Based on them calling it a "slightly more expensive Militia," I'm guessing they think Militia costs .
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 11:13:58 am by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2022, 11:31:39 am »

Rally
Action ($3)

+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Put the Supporter cards into your hand and put the rest back in any order.
---
Setup: Add an extra Kingdom card pile costing $2, $3, or $4 to the Supply. Cards from that pile are Supporter cards.

The non terminal draw counterpart to Young Witch. Its usefulness will vary considerably depending on the Supporter card (cantrips that can be easily gained like Magpie and Port seem pretty good, but a bad terminal like Fortune Teller means this is probably skippable). I know Young Witch only allows $2 or $3 cards, but for this card I think going up to $4 makes it more useful (there are a good chunk of nice $4 engine pieces, like the two I mentioned) and it also allows for more fun.

If you wanted it a little more concise, you could have it work like Settlers instead. Just fish a Supporter card out of your discard pile. Also the Setup could say "costing from $2 to $4". That's how it's usually phrased.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2022, 11:57:40 am »
+2

Merchant Road is a Treasure that adds a non-Supply pile of Goods which are always non-terminal (to make it easier to get multiple in play). Your first few plays will gain Goods and later you can get rewarded for playing lots of Goods. It seems kinda fun to not have a cost limit on Goods so there's a wider range of possibilities, but it maybe needs one, there's a big difference between a Pearl Diver gainer and a Grand Market gainer. Thoughts appreciated. 

Firestix

• Swindler
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2022, 11:58:55 am »

Based on them calling it a "slightly more expensive Militia," I'm guessing they think Militia costs .

Whoops. I'll fix that.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2022, 12:26:12 pm »

It guarantees that there will be +Buy in the kingdom (yay) which means the cost reduction will probably be more helpful.  Then again, the 3 locked piles could be duchess, explorer, and harvest, and then key becomes a copper for $4...(not yay). Such is the way with cards that rely on other cards, like Commander, Prince, etc.

There's already something named Key (Treasurer's Artifact).

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2022, 01:23:19 pm »
+1

Merchant Road is a Treasure that adds a non-Supply pile of Goods which are always non-terminal (to make it easier to get multiple in play). Your first few plays will gain Goods and later you can get rewarded for playing lots of Goods. It seems kinda fun to not have a cost limit on Goods so there's a wider range of possibilities, but it maybe needs one, there's a big difference between a Pearl Diver gainer and a Grand Market gainer. Thoughts appreciated.

The way it is worded, it might not be fully clear that Goods could be any non-terminal Actions rather than ones that give more than one +Action.  It's also not clear if this includes cards that conditionally give +Action, e.g. Conclave.

I personally don't think there needs to be an upper limit on the cost of the cards you can set aside as Goods, since the probability of having games with overpowered strong combos like Grand Market-Merchant Road will be fairly small, and it's not like Merchant Road is that cheap anyway. 

That said, Merchant Road might seem expensive if you have cheap cards e.g. Candlestick Maker as Goods.  That could be avoided by making the Goods an extra Kingdom pile, so that they can be gained by other means, rather than a set-aside one only accessible through Merchant Road.  As such, building a deck with Merchant Road as the main payload would be feasible.  I mean, there is always the chance of having something like Bounty Hunter as the Goods, so IMO minimizing the probability of having "bad" Goods might not be a bad idea. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 02:23:16 pm by Timinou »

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2022, 01:46:25 pm »

I'm withdrawing my previous submission, and entering a new card:

EDIT: New version:

Old version:

EDIT: Fixed typo
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 03:51:05 pm by Timinou »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.