Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Island Folk  (Read 811 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Island Folk
« on: March 30, 2022, 02:09:17 pm »

Just played an interesting board -- the particular card setup is once-in-a-lifetime but the motif seems quite likely to repeat with Island Folk, so asking the question in some detail.

Card Shaped Objects
Island Folk
Kingdom
Moat, Ratcatcher, Fishing Village, Underling, Engineer, Conclave, Bridge Troll, Library

I'm sorry that I only remember these 8 kingdom cards; let's pretend we have Cache and Harvest rounding it out.

What do you open here and why?

My own thinking: The goal is to play a whole bunch of Bridge Trolls before the opponnet does. Fishing Villages and Conclaves are key to this, and extra turns from Underling also, so prob. want an Engineer. Now do we want the (very slow) trashing of Ratcatcher on the first shuffle, or to be the one getting extra turns first? I went with trashing, not sure if this was right.

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
Re: Island Folk
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 05:05:38 pm »
+2

Before reading your thoughts, I would have said Ratcatcher and Engineer...basically for the same reasons you said. I don't think I agree with what you seem to be hinting at, that opening Underling over Ratcatcher will get you extra turns first; being able to trash with Ratcatcher and pick up most of the pieces with Engineer (villages and Underlings) may very well let you get extra turns more reliably and earlier.

Presumably you do want to trash at some point here, and I would think Ratcatcher + Engineer and then getting Underlings later is better than Underling + Engineer and then getting Ratcatchers later. With Engineers, villages, and Bridge Trolls, I think you might not even want the Underlings until a bit later--Engineers and Bridge Trolls with villages and trashing can possibly get you more gains than not having some of those and getting an extra turn with many Underlings.

Not having had this type of board before, I could definitely be wrong on when to start getting Underlings, though. The alternative of not trashing and just going for extra turns is an interesting comparison--in the case of 1 ratcatcher vs 1 underling, you get to trash at most 5 cards every 5 shuffles vs getting 1 extra turn every 5 shuffles; intuitively, I think trashing seems better because the shuffles get shorter over time. Maybe there's some optimal combination of ratcatchers and underlings to go for, but I still like trashing. What happened in your game?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Island Folk
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 12:39:29 am »

Just played an interesting board -- the particular card setup is once-in-a-lifetime but the motif seems quite likely to repeat with Island Folk, so asking the question in some detail.

Card Shaped Objects
Island Folk
Kingdom

Moat, Ratcatcher, Fishing Village, Underling, Engineer, Conclave, Bridge Troll, Library

I'm sorry that I only remember these 8 kingdom cards; let's pretend we have Cache and Harvest rounding it out.

What do you open here and why?

My own thinking: The goal is to play a whole bunch of Bridge Trolls before the opponnet does. Fishing Villages and Conclaves are key to this, and extra turns from Underling also, so prob. want an Engineer. Now do we want the (very slow) trashing of Ratcatcher on the first shuffle, or to be the one getting extra turns first? I went with trashing, not sure if this was right.

What's up with Auto-link on this post? The first Island Folk seems normal, but then the rest of the cards won't link. Same thing in Firefox. Anyone else seeing this?

*Edit* It looked the same in the quoted text, so as a test I edited my post and took out the underline tags from the quoted text... and now it works. So I guess auto-link just doesn't work for any cards names that come after an underline tag??

*Edit* It's some really weird interaction between the underlined text and the spoiler text that comes after. Autolink is set to not link things under spoiler text (because then it shows up through the spoiler blackout). The regex that's looking for spoiler text to exclude is seeing the start of the underline tag, and then the spoiler stuff after that, and thinking that the spoiler actually begins at the underline tag. For some reason. Oh well, not worth fixing I don't think, super rare issue.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 12:59:53 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.