Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26  All

Author Topic: Mafia 138 - Hungry Hungry Hippo Mafia - Day 1 has Started!  (Read 40782 times)

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia 138 - Hungry Hungry Hippo Mafia - Day 1 has Started!
« Reply #275 on: July 20, 2022, 07:28:38 am »

Right now the only players in this game are:

Faust
MiX
EFHW
Jimmmmm
Me
Joth

Pretty small game, surprised it’s balanced with 2 mafia and a SK.

What do you think of faust saying that we should focus more on lurkers?

Speaking of, does anyone other than Jack fit the description of "lurker"?

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 20, 2022, 08:58:11 am »

It's always a bit of a bad idea to focus on active players, but it's even worse in multiball. Scum prefers shooting the active players, so there's a good chance that active scum will just be eliminated by the other team.

So this is just exile all lurkers basically?

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 20, 2022, 08:59:39 am »

Note for the record, that I pointed out faust playing out of character and Joseph rushed to his defense.

Also scum has daytalk.

vote: Joseph2302

I don’t think this is actually how that works and Joseph is not someone who reads the scum QT reliably for faust to suggest this.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 20, 2022, 09:02:40 am »

I think the thing with Vigs is that the decision is made with less information than it would otherwise be. They can be fine and powerful, especially late game.

Right. Funny how this conversation is all based on joth incorrectly attributing the negative utility idea to faust. Actually, scumreading faust for seeming to value the vig is striking me as scummy. Even if he had said something about vigs being negative utility in the past, it's strange to expect him to be so consistent that he would say outing the vig is fine in this game.

vote: joth

I think in general flimsy cases against faust D1 are scummy. He is probably going to get killed at night anyways.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 20, 2022, 09:03:38 am »

It's been pretty cold where I am for the last month or so.

Haha

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 20, 2022, 09:04:25 am »

Haha

Uh... that wasn't a joke. Just having a pretty cold winter.

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 20, 2022, 09:05:16 am »

Haha

I think it's a joke for everyone that is in summer right now.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 20, 2022, 09:07:26 am »

I want to have a meaningful vote down and I don’t like how he is sticking to his flimsy case on faust.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 20, 2022, 09:08:17 am »

Haha

I know but it is funny when I only barely remember where anyone lives

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 20, 2022, 09:11:49 am »

It's always a bit of a bad idea to focus on active players, but it's even worse in multiball. Scum prefers shooting the active players, so there's a good chance that active scum will just be eliminated by the other team.

So this is just exile all lurkers basically?
Yeah, sure, that is exactly what I'm saying. I guess your alternative strategy is "exile all contributors".
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: July 20, 2022, 10:16:41 am »

I want to have a meaningful vote down and I don’t like how he is sticking to his flimsy case on faust.
Is he sticking to his case? What makes you say that, gkrieg?

Joth, are you sticking to your case?

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 20, 2022, 10:17:43 am »

Who's focusing on active players?  Is this an announcement to the crowd about strategic behavior, or a stone cast at a particular player?

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 20, 2022, 10:25:04 am »

Who's focusing on active players?  Is this an announcement to the crowd about strategic behavior, or a stone cast at a particular player?
I'm mostly annoyed at people on the joth wagon, and Eddie.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 20, 2022, 11:07:33 am »

I am definitely sticking to my flimsy case on faust which why I

(A) have repeatedly said my own case is bad

and

(B) have not voted for faust one single time
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 20, 2022, 11:11:11 am »

Right now the only players in this game are:

Faust
MiX
EFHW
Jimmmmm
Me
Joth

Pretty small game, surprised it’s balanced with 2 mafia and a SK.

What do you think of faust saying that we should focus more on lurkers?

Speaking of, does anyone other than Jack fit the description of "lurker"?

Mathdude is lurkerific
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 20, 2022, 11:41:31 am »

I'm going to say a very controversial thing which is that my wagon is bad and nonsense and I think it's kind of scummy to be on it right now.

But which vote on my wagon is the scummiest, you ask? Well, let's meet our contestants.

I think the thing with Vigs is that the decision is made with less information than it would otherwise be. They can be fine and powerful, especially late game.

Right. Funny how this conversation is all based on joth incorrectly attributing the negative utility idea to faust. Actually, scumreading faust for seeming to value the vig is striking me as scummy. Even if he had said something about vigs being negative utility in the past, it's strange to expect him to be so consistent that he would say outing the vig is fine in this game.

EFHW has the first position on the wagon, not generally where scum likes to be, and her vote seems earnest, if slightly confusing (not sure how any of the words there add up to a case on me). So let's keep looking.

You're really going to make me trawl through old posts to find out that I was wrong about your take on vigs?

Ok.

I actually research my posts when I’m scum. Shoot-from-the-hip Joth is town joth.

You're actually suggesting that if you were scum you'd "trawl through old posts" to clarify faust's stance on Vigs before posting? Scum joth knows that Town joth wouldn't do that, and Town joth knows that scum joth knows that and therefore wouldn't do it.

A lie, that is.

Vote: joth

Vote #2 is also a more towny position, but could be scum trying to get something going. That said, I kind of like the case here. Jimmmmm's basically saying that if I'm aware enough of my own meta to comment on it in my defense, I'm probably aware of my own meta enough to circumvent it. But then, am I audacious enough to reverse my own meta, then immediately use that to defend myself? It starts to feel a bit overly complicated, not to mention ineloquent. Wouldn't I just do the thing and let someone else comment on the meta implications.

I could see Jimmmmm making this post as town or as scum, because it's either inauthentic or just poorly thought out.

Note for the record, that I pointed out faust playing out of character and Joseph rushed to his defense.

Also scum has daytalk.

Are you suggesting that in the 4.5 minutes between your post and Joseph's, Joseph and I coordinated that they should defend me?

It's entirely possible he took the initiative to defend you without coordination. Either way, it pinged me a little.
But Joseph made a good point that was missing from the discussion. It doesn't look like defending faust to me.
EFHW defending Joseph's stellar defense of Faust, but joth doesn't vote her for it???

Vote #3 on a wagon, especially when a good chunk has gone by since vote #2, is IMO the scummiest vote on a wagon. And you can quote me on that some day in the future when I'm in the third position on a wagon after some time has gone by.

shraeye's vote here seems like a joke to me. But he never moved it. So that's scummy.

Also scum has daytalk.

Are you suggesting that in the 4.5 minutes between your post and Joseph's, Joseph and I coordinated that they should defend me?

It's entirely possible he took the initiative to defend you without coordination. Either way, it pinged me a little.
But Joseph made a good point that was missing from the discussion. It doesn't look like defending faust to me.
EFHW defending Joseph's stellar defense of Faust, but joth doesn't vote her for it???

Someone should definitely vote for shraeye here for the obvious defense of EFHW's defense of Joseph's defense of faust. I mean, it's pretty obviously a scum move.
Obviously, duh
Seems like joth wants to focus on this to try and just get some mis-exiles

There's a reason I'm already voting for Joseph, and it's that his vote on me seems the fakest and laziest. Because I made a joke about shraeye's vote on me, I'm obviously trying to get the town to "focus on this to try and just get some mis-exiles". I'm doing a great job, by the way, of lining up at least one misexile, so props to me I guess. Too bad it's my own.

My only misgiving is that this is almost too lazy to be scum.

See above. This vote is total nonsense, reflects a lack of having read the thread, and really starts to push my wagon into dangerous territory. But again, it's so blatant it almost seems more like bad town play than scum play because it's so blatant.

But the nice thing that gkrieg has going for him is he's also something of a lurker, and several people I respect have expressed an interest in a lurker exile today, so I could definitely get onboard there.

But for me, the winner is shraeye. The combination of being in the scummiest wagon slot and making an apparent joke vote but then not moving it is just enough to put him over the top.

vote: shraeye
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 20, 2022, 11:46:15 am »

oh shoot. shraeye actually did move his vote. damn.

vote: gkrieg13

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 20, 2022, 11:47:50 am »

sorry to totally botch that analysis. shraeye moved his vote quickly, which tells me that it actually was a joke.

So yeah, I am advocating Joseph or gkrieg based on their bad votes on me. gkrieg also has few enough posts that he should satisfy faust's lurker agenda.

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 20, 2022, 11:48:49 am »

man if I'd realized I was only at 4 votes instead of five, I wouldn't have put so much work into the case /s

He/him

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 20, 2022, 12:25:04 pm »

Gotta say.... Joth's tryhard is reading very towny to me

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 20, 2022, 12:48:09 pm »

Doesn't joth tryhard more as scum?

I swear, so many people have been buddies with joth, surely someone can give a good read on him?

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 20, 2022, 12:53:23 pm »

He gets frustrated when hes town, and that is what I see here

Joth's earnestness is 100% authentic. Its who he is (like my friendliness) so its NAI, but the frustration is towny to me.

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 20, 2022, 01:02:53 pm »

I am definitely sticking to my flimsy case on faust which why I

(A) have repeatedly said my own case is bad

and

(B) have not voted for faust one single time

"Repeatedly" is wrong here.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 20, 2022, 01:43:38 pm »

inb4 someone mentions that partner-dependent cases are especially rubbish early game cases.

I'm fine with my vote where it is but I admit that it's the flimsiest of cases and I eagerly await a better one.

Technically I disparaged my own case twice in this post. Hence, "repeatedly" is technically correct.

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 20, 2022, 01:45:23 pm »

This might work against me given what Didds just said, but I'm not really frustrated rn. Just trying to play my best game and lead my best life.

I sort of gave up on reacting emotionally to early wagons against me, because they happen with alarming frequency and getting annoyed about them just makes people vote for you more. Now I'm more about vote for me, don't vote for me, whatever, except maybe don't vote for me because I'd rather we exile scum.

He/him
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.