Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Fan Mechanics Week #33: Trial By Fire  (Read 4122 times)

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Mechanics Week #33: Trial By Fire
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2022, 09:46:24 am »

oh wow thanks! ill make a thread tommorow, busy right now
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2022, 12:35:30 pm »
+2

Im on a new medication and is feeling somewhat under the weather. could i nominate someone else to make the theme and judgement for next week?
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2022, 02:02:12 pm »
+3

Im on a new medication and is feeling somewhat under the weather. could i nominate someone else to make the theme and judgement for next week?

Of course! I hope you get better soon.

Traditionally, we've let the Runner Up take over if the Winner can't, so maybe LibraryAdventurer will be kind enough to take over.

Joxeft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +103
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2022, 02:22:28 pm »

Of course! I hope you get better soon.

Traditionally, we've let the Runner Up take over if the Winner can't, so maybe LibraryAdventurer will be kind enough to take over.
Ok.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2022, 12:47:29 am »
+3

Okay then. I will start the new thread momentarily*.

*Which is the incorrect (or new 'correct') usage of this word. The word means "for a moment" not "in a moment", but that is neither here nor there...

EDIT: Posted.

@fika monster, hope you feel better soon.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 01:07:44 am by LibraryAdventurer »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2022, 02:25:38 pm »
+2

I made a bunch more of these, but I have been slammed at work. Here are a few with my comments (and some more with much less to say):

Ronin • $4 • Action
+1 Action
+1 Card per Ronin in the trash. Discard a card per 2 Ronin in the trash (round down).

: Gain a Ronin

Ronin is a scaling, non-terminal drawing + sifting card. It's burn ability lets a player add a Ronin to the trash--thus scaling up the power of all Ronin cards--while getting another one to replace it (while they last). The first time one is played, it is a Ruined Village, but it quickly gets more powerful, turning into a cantrip, then a Fugitive, then a sifting Lab (with 3 or 4 Ronin in the trash). At just 5 it's a 2-card sifting double Lab.

This is easily my favorite card here. It wouldn't have been a good submission because it is far to centralizing (you just can't let your opponent get 3 Ronin and trash the other 7; they would effectively draw their deck most turns). And while it's strong, I'm not sure it would actually be as overpowering as it looks in first glance. A rush on these does interesting things, especially in a multiplayer game. If each of 3 players gets 3 of them, everyone is stuck with cantrips (unless someone wants to trash theirs, keeping 2 Fugitives to everyone else's 3). It gets even more interesting with cars that gain from the trash. I think this could be a really fun card to play.

Here are some simple cards I came up with:

Fueller • $5 • Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1

: +2 Coffers

A simple Peddler variant, it's Burn effect gives you 2 Coffers. You will usually only want to use this when you are trying to hit an important price point, meaning it could probably have just given Coins, but the Coffers allows (a) if you only need $1, to save the other, and (b) to work better with certain combos (e.g. gain-from-trash cards, Sunken Treasure).

Stash House • $4 • Action
+3 Cards
+1 Action
Discard 3 cards.

: Look through your discard pile and put a card from it into your hand.

Ever play Warehouse and think, "if only I could keep just 1 more card"? Stash House lets you do that, allowing you to burn it to get one of the cards you discarded (or another card you know is in your discard pile) back into your hand.

Strategic Hero • $5 • Action
+3 Cards
+1 Buy

: +2 Actions

A terminal draw card that could be burned for +Actions seemed like an obvious design space (as recognized by Augie279). I went with a riff on Tragic Hero (hence the +1 Buy).

Conversely, with cards that reduce your hand size, a natural combo was a draw-to-X burn effect:

Wicked Little Town • $3 • Action
+2 Actions
Discard any number of cards for +$1 each.

: Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.

A Secret Chamber village (which, in retrospect should maybe have +1 Buy), it's regular play is fairly weak. But if you are willing to burn it, it is actually a fairly strong effect. Another way to reduce your hand size is with trashing:

Martyr • $4 • Action
+1 Action
Trash cards from your hand until you have 3 cards in hand. +$1 per card trashed.

: Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.

While most similar to Forager, this does a couple of interesting things. From a 5 card hand, it non-terminally trashes 1 card and gives +$1. First, the trash-to-X can significantly enhance it's synergy with drawing abilities that increase your hand size if you have a lot to trash, but later on can actually make it weaker (if you only have 1 or 2 cards bad cards left, getting them to collide without trashing cards you want to keep might be tricky. As previously mentioned, the draw-to-x synergizes with your smaller handsize (although not as much), but the real beauty of the burn ability is that it lets you get rid of your trasher when you are done with it.

Both WLT and Martyr have another synergy with Tactician. Because their DtX can be played any time, you can play a Tactician, discard your entire hand, then burn one of them to fill your hand up again.

Well-Fed Workshop • $4 • Action
Gain a card costing up to $4.

: You may return the card you gained to the Supply, to gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it.

I had the idea for this effect first, and when it occurred to me that this is a combination of Workshop and Feast, the name was an obvious next step.

Toadies • $2 • Action - Liaison
+2 Cards
Discard any number of cards (revealed). +2 Favors per 2 different types they have (round down).

: +2 Villagers

I also wanted to make a Liaison. This is a blend of Lackeys and Sycophant.

Lost Memorial • $4 • Action - Victory
+1 Action

Worth 1VP per 2 copies of Lost Memorial in the trash (round down).
: +1% per 2 copies of Lost Memorial in the Supply (round down).

I made a Victory card, Lost Memorial. Early in the game it can be trashed for a significant VP payoff, while later on the trashed copies make those that player's keep more valuable.

Evil Eye • $0 • Action - Attack - Curse
Discard 2 cards.

: Each other player gains a Curse.

-2VP

I also designed a Curse. This is a regular Kingdom card, in the Supply, and when a cards tells a player to "gain a Curse" they have the option of choosing Evil Eye if it's available. While the self-trashing and attack are obvious benefits, don't get stuck with one at the end of the game: it's worth 2x the -VP.

Another idea I had was for burn effect treasure cards, the main point of which was that they can trash themselves when they are no longer a good fit in your deck. I came up with two ideas:

Novelties • $1 • Treasure
+$1

: +1 Villager

Quicksilver • $4 • Treasure
+$2

: +1 Buy

Quicksilver is alternative Silver that can trash itself. The +1 Buy will (hopefully) be conveniently timed to when you have a bunch of Treasures. Novelties you are more likely to get from a +1 remodel variant. You can trash them the next time they are around whether or note they collide.

Finally, I did a few with other fan mechanics:

Postal Route • $4 • Action
Choose two: +1 Action; or +1 Buy; or gain a card costing up to $4. The choices must be different.

: +3 Routes

A little Thurn and Taxis vibe, a non-terminal gainer (or source of +Buys) that can be trashed for some Route tokens (which can then be used to put later-gained cards into a player's hand).

Chinatown • $4 • Action - Level
+2 Actions
Draw until you have 1 card in hand per Level.

: Put 3 Level tokens on your Chinatown pile.

A scaling draw-to-x village, the name (which is a bit anachronistic for Dominion) is a reference to the old noir film and the reveal of wrecking land temporarily to make it more profitable down the road.

Matriarch • $6 • Action - Kin
+$2
Play a different Kin card from the Supply, leaving it there.

: Move your +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy, or +$1 token to a Kin Supply pile you have no tokens on.

And, finally, Matriarch, using the Kin mechanic. My riff on Elder, it plays one of the other 2 Kin cards. Burning a $6 is a steep price, but it lets you combine the tokens if you can pull it off.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.