Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Mechanics Contest 32: Season 3 Finale  (Read 3193 times)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Fan Mechanics Contest 32: Season 3 Finale
« on: March 20, 2022, 11:38:21 am »
+4

It's that time again, that time to show what you learned from the past twelve or so weeks.

For the season 3 Finale, create a card/cards that combine two or more mechanics we've covered in season 3.
To review, those are:

There are diminishing returns from trying to incorporate all of the mechanics; I trust you'll use good editorial judgment to keep your cards simple and concise, as well as balanced, playable, and staying within dominion's theme and using its own mechanics appropriately. If you have a non-conventional pile size or something, please make note of it. Include an appropriate FAQ if you need it. Consult the Fan card creation guide or the #variants channel on the discord if you've got to.

I know other people do like, detailed breakdowns of their scoring, but my criteria has always been more "vibes based":
• do i like your card (that is, i don't feel constrained by it when it's in the game? I want to buy it and use it in my deck)?
• does it make games its included in interesting? Not all canon dominion cards do this - Possession doesn't. Rebuild doesn't. Make it so it's not the same game.
• if I were teaching someone Dominion, them having never played a deckbuilder, how many other mechanics would I have to walk them through before we could play with your card? Is it fun enough to be worth that wait?
• how's it behave when bought at scale?

I'll post judgment in about a week - expect the 24 hour warning on late saturday or early sunday next week, but i'll be writing judgments (but not posting them) as you post your entries so please MAKE A NEW POST IF YOU MAKE A REVISION; using the ShardOfHonor card generator is also highly encouraged.

OK i think that's everything. Show me what you've got.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 04:04:04 pm by spineflu »

Joxeft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +103
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Mechanics Contest 32: Season 3 Finale
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 06:39:00 pm »

Feedback is appreciated.
By the way, Merchant City and Glass Maker are pair cards.

I am withdrawing this submission.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 10:08:23 pm by Joxeft »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 04:35:30 am »
+1

Corvidologist - Action Duration, $5 cost.
Gain a card onto your deck costing up to $5. If you do, at the start of your next turn, play the Raven.
Raven - Action Attack, $0* cost.
Each other player reveals their hand. If the cards are not all different, they discard down to 3 and get +2 Curse tokens.

I've tried to put images up; but you probably can't see them!
You can always try to prepare for these second-turn Duration attacks, so I went quite mean on what you're hit with. If you discard down to 3 (does just saying 'discard down to 3' on the card make sense in context?), you're more likely to have all different cards so another Raven won't hit you.
Giving out Curse tokens can lead to the same problem as VP tokens if they don't bring the game towards its end, so the attack is conditional on gaining a card. I guess this wording means the card has to go onto deck as well.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 10:09:31 am »
+1

I've tried to put images up; but you probably can't see them!

I think this is controllable in your trello settings, although it does make your board search-engine-indexed, turning it to public. (I've written to them requesting an option for the old way - they said they didn't know anyone liked it that way. So maybe write to trello customer service? idk)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3191
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 10:14:11 am »

or just use https://imgbb.com/

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1451
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 07:26:43 pm »
+4

My Submission:

Quote from: Dragon Tamers
Dragon Tamers • Ally
At the start of your turn, you may spend 3 Favors to play one of the face up Dragons, leaving it there, then flip it over.

I am using Week 25's Singular "Duration" Attacks. I'm also using the 2-sided cards from Carline's Dominion: Venus  expansion. The 2-sided Dragon attack cards are (the card on top starts face-up):

Red Dragon / Green Dragon:          Plague Dragon / Gold Dragon:          Ice Dragon / Storm Dragon:

Red Dragon • $5 • Action - Attack - Dragon
Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand.

Plague Dragon • $5 • Action - Attack - Dragon
Discard a card. Each other player may gain a Curse to
their hand. Then, each other player may reveal their
hand. If they didn't reveal a Curse, they get +2§.

Ice Dragon • $5 • Action - Attack - Dragon
Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of their
deck. They Freeze one of those cards you choose
three times, then discards the other.

Green Dragon • $5 • Action - Attack - Dragon
Choose one: +2 Cards; or gain a card costing up to $4
onto your deck; or each other player with 5 or more
cards in hand puts cards from their hand onto their
deck until they have 4 cards in hand.

Gold Dragon • $5 • Action - Attack - Dragon
+$3
Each other player gains a Copper normally (into
their discard pile), to their hand, or onto their deck,
their choice.

Storm Dragon • $5 • Action - Attack - Dragon
+2 Cards
Discard 2 cards, revealing them. Each other player
with 4 or more cards in hand discards a copy of one
of those cards (or reveals they can't).

My submission is an Ally, Dragon Tamers. It allows you to play one of six attack cards. The Attack cards are 2-sided, so only 3 are available at any time. The attacks themselves use Week 25's mechanic. One of the attacks, Plague Dragon, uses Week 21's Curse Tokens. I put the cost at 3 Favors to be equivalent to Circle of Witches (although this is a bit easier as you don't have to play a Liaison to trigger it).

Red Dragon is a very simple handsize attack, Militia without the payload. Green Dragon is a weaker topdecking attack (only getting player's down to 4), but also provides the option of getting a bonus instead (useful if your opponent has good defense). Plague Dragon deals out either Curses or Curse Tokens, but like Mountebank can be blocked if a player already has a Curse. Gold Dragon provides the best bonus (+$3), but gives possibly the weakest attack, giving the other players a Copper in their hand (unless they want it somewhere else). Ice Dragon is a temporary trashing-style attack, using Week 9's Freeze mechanic to take one of a player's 2 cards out of circulation for 3 turns. And, finally, Storm Dragon both sifts 2 cards, and provides a weak discard attack, making your opponents discard one of the cards you didn't want.

There are some interesting interactions with the Liaison cards. If Importer is the only one, each player will get to Attack once, but have the opportunity to do so on their first turn. While this could potentially make for a nasty opening, there are some potential drawbacks. None of the Attacks that start face-up give bonuses, so players will have to weigh the possible reward of taking the first shot with the risk of giving their opponent's such a bonus. And while a Red Dragon before your first turn could be devastating if you opened $5/$2, it does nothing if you opened $3/$4 (and even if you opened $4/$3, you can still go Silver-Silver).

he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Joxeft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2022, 10:11:48 pm »
+1

Feedback is appreciated.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2022, 02:44:13 am »
+5

A Pair of cards that care about discarding! Well, four really. Heritages and Heirlooms are fun in combination, are they not?

Sawmill's worded so that you only have to reveal Forest once for its effects.
they/them

Joxeft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2022, 10:25:33 am »

Put your VP in forest and seedling like this 1% 2%.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 10:35:17 pm by Joxeft »

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2022, 07:57:45 pm »

forgot to give Forest the Reaction type, fixed
they/them

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2022, 10:23:08 am »

24 hour warning, get those cards in.

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2022, 01:27:47 pm »
+2

Sorry for making 2 traveler lines as I know more work but I had fun making linked paths that interacted with each other some what. Also I hate the wording on the event and would love to rework this phrasing to find better way of commutating this but I have not found one. I used Debt to not interact with other travelers. Thought about using Carts/Fishes instead of Horses and Spoils to use more mechanic but decided this pile was weird enough.
To clarify the mechanics I am combining are
Paid Traveller Upgrades (Even It is is done in a different way)
Heritage cards
Pair Cards (Even It is is done in a different way then the Supply thing)
Heirlooms/Heritage cards on Landscapes
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 01:31:49 pm by arowdok »

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2022, 02:38:53 pm »
+1

Way of the Raven
Way
+1 Curse Token
You may play an Action card from your hand that you don't have a copy of in play twice.
Witch's Hut - $4
Action - Victory - Heritage
You may gain a Curse or Exile a Curse from your hand. If you do, -2 Curse Tokens .
-
Worth 3% per 2 Curses you have (round down).

I am unsure about the VP scaling on Witch's Hut. Right now it makes Curses beneficial, beyond them junking your deck. I was thinking of having it only mitigate the Curses VP penalty, maybe at a "worth 2 VP for every 3 Curses" rate. Could use another opinion on that. This was a bit of a rush design, so I could only get 2 or 3 mechanics into it. Feedback is appreciated.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +461
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2022, 04:11:43 pm »
+1

Here is my entry: paid traveller and carts

The names suck, i had no idea what to name them. sorry
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2022, 07:35:49 pm »
+2

If no one minds, I'm going to submit an improved version of the cards I entered for the Pairs contest.
Now the Pair card with Puppeteer is Marionette, and Puppet is a Heritage card that comes with them, replacing an Estate.

EDIT: Revised versions:

Puppeteer
$5 - Action - Attack
+$2.
Each other player reveals their hand and plays an non-attack Action or Treasure from it that you choose. If they then have less than 5 cards in hand, they get +1 Card.
Decided to add the "non-attack" part, so it doesn't work on other Puppeteers.
Puppeteer is unchanged from before, but now everyone has a Puppet and every kingdom with this comes with a good reaction card for defense. EDIT: I added the "if it's your turn" part because the attack happening on other player's turns would get crazy fast. It wanted it to still do something if it isn't your turn (without using tokens) in case of other Puppeteers.

Marionette
$5 - Action - Reaction
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. From them, set aside an Action and a Treasure. Discard the other revealed cards then play the set aside cards in either order.
-
When another player plays an Attack, you may first set this aside to play this at the start of your next turn.
(Too bad it doesn't have the "if you didn't spend an action", but it was too wordy like that.)

Puppet
$3 - Action - Heritage - Victory
If you didn't spend an Action to play this, +2 Cards. The player whose turn it is gets +$1, +1 Buy, and discards a card.
-
Worth 1 VP.
Changed this from a kingdom card to a Heritage and added the VP (because I think it's more fitting that way when it replaces an Estate).
FAQ: If a card says "Play an Action card" rather than "+1 Action", that does not count as spending an Action.

My main concern is that Marionette may be a strong enough reaction to make Puppeteer not really worth going for. But then you do have to have Marionette in your hand at the right time, and it's not a cheap reaction like many others. EDIT: Marionette has been weakened a little from its original version.
What do you think?

old version:
Marionette
$5 - Action - Reaction
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. If you didn't spend an action to play this, play two revealed Actions or Treasures (or one of each). Otherwise, play one revealed Action or Treasure. Discard the other revealed cards.
-
When another player plays an Attack, you may first set this aside to play this at the start of your next turn.
The new addition to fit with the other two. I'm going with the "if you didn't spend an action" theme of Puppet with a reaction that lets you play it without spending an Action. (Do you think the parenthetical is needed to let players know they can play one action and one treasure?)

(...This makes me want to make a mini-expansion with a few more cards that have the "If you didn't spend an action to play this" thing...)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 09:25:13 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

BBobb

• Moneylender
  • My brother says thief is amazing.
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2022, 11:44:19 pm »

What is Heritage? I assume it is the original name of retirement. Also, none of the treasures need "when you play this". What is the purpose of having the cost debt?

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2022, 12:07:33 am »

What is Heritage? I assume it is the original name of retirement. Also, none of the treasures need "when you play this". What is the purpose of having the cost debt?

Heritages are to Estates as Heirlooms are to Coppers. Link to an explanation is in the OP.

I assume the purpose of having them cost Debt is so that Maturity can upgrade them by 1 tier without also working on the Peasant and Page Traveller lines.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2022, 10:22:49 am »
+3

aight, contest closed; i'll have judgment in a minute

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2022, 05:49:43 pm »
+3

Okie dokie artichokie. Since there's A Lot of cards this time, I kept summary judgments pretty brief. Sorry.

If no one minds, I'm going to submit an improved version of the cards I entered for the Pairs contest.
Now the Pair card with Puppeteer is Marionette, and Puppet is a Heritage card that comes with them, replacing an Estate.

EDIT: Revised versions:

Puppeteer
$5 - Action - Attack
+$2.
Each other player reveals their hand and plays an non-attack Action or Treasure from it that you choose. If they then have less than 5 cards in hand, they get +1 Card.

Marionette
$5 - Action - Reaction
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. From them, set aside an Action and a Treasure. Discard the other revealed cards then play the set aside cards in either order.
-

Puppet
$3 - Action - Heritage - Victory
If you didn't spend an Action to play this, +2 Cards. The player whose turn it is gets +$1, +1 Buy, and discards a card.
-
Worth 1 VP.

FAQ: If a card says "Play an Action card" rather than "+1 Action", that does not count as spending an Action.

I really like Puppeteer. Marionette might be too strong though - it's basically Hunter+, and that card is already pretty beefy.
Puppet is very clever.
Here is my entry: paid traveller and carts

So one thing I noticed with Carts is that you want to push the game towards emptying at least one pile, otherwise they're just vanishing coin, yknow? These don't really do that, which means they're going to be sloggy. Supreme Carter is going to be swingy as heck, especially if one player can proc theirs at the end and the other can't.

I'm torn about differing exchange conditions between travellers - they should probably all have a similar thing, right? Like, 1st "discard an action", then "discard 2 actions" or similar.

Way of the Raven
Way
+1 Curse Token
You may play an Action card from your hand that you don't have a copy of in play twice.
Witch's Hut - $4
Action - Victory - Heritage
You may gain a Curse or Exile a Curse from your hand. If you do, -2 Curse Tokens .
-
Worth 3% per 2 Curses you have (round down).

I am unsure about the VP scaling on Witch's Hut. Right now it makes Curses beneficial, beyond them junking your deck. I was thinking of having it only mitigate the Curses VP penalty, maybe at a "worth 2 VP for every 3 Curses" rate. Could use another opinion on that. This was a bit of a rush design, so I could only get 2 or 3 mechanics into it. Feedback is appreciated.

First off, I really like Way of the Raven. I think that alone is a worthwhile addition to the game, and really a good jumping off point for "what would a throne way look like?", if it's Too Much.

Witch's Hut, I feel like it goes against the general sense of how VP tokens and Curse tokens should work - they don't move, right? Maybe it's fine. Idk.

Absolutely wild choice to enter two traveller lines. I'll allow it, but man. Doesn't really put me "on your side" for judging.

But these are pretty clever actually. The simplicity really works for them. I'd consider tweaking the tier 3+4 treasures to be a little weaker, just because, consider toy shop as a beefier Merchant Ship. Child's joy as a double-Plunder is also suuuper strong.
Still though, I like the interplay, good job keeping them simple, and innovative way of making them a paid (and limited) deal.

You could probably rephrase Sawmill as a "Choose one" type deal. Idk. I don't feel super strongly about these. Seedling changes up the opening - especially that opening shuffle -  in a swingy way. Rusty Saw is good. I feel like Forest is going to have boards where it's way too good and needs to be reined in somehow - turning any number of Warehouses into Superlabs is Too Good.

Feedback is appreciated.

A village is always an eminently reasonable entry. However, they don't really need on-gain effects like this, because you want them anyway as an engine component (as opposed to Sycophants or Lackeys, which you can definitely have Too Many of).

It's probably not busted, and if anything it might be underpriced, especially if they all go before the carts get used.

My Submission:

Quote from: Dragon Tamers
Dragon Tamers • Ally
At the start of your turn, you may spend 3 Favors to play one of the face up Dragons, leaving it there, then flip it over.

I am using Week 25's Singular "Duration" Attacks. I'm also using the 2-sided cards from Carline's Dominion: Venus  expansion. The 2-sided Dragon attack cards are (the card on top starts face-up):

Red Dragon / Green Dragon:          Plague Dragon / Gold Dragon:          Ice Dragon / Storm Dragon:

Red Dragon • $5 • Action - Attack - Dragon
Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand.

Plague Dragon • $5 • Action - Attack - Dragon
Discard a card. Each other player may gain a Curse to
their hand. Then, each other player may reveal their
hand. If they didn't reveal a Curse, they get +2§.

Ice Dragon • $5 • Action - Attack - Dragon
Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of their
deck. They Freeze one of those cards you choose
three times, then discards the other.

Green Dragon • $5 • Action - Attack - Dragon
Choose one: +2 Cards; or gain a card costing up to $4
onto your deck; or each other player with 5 or more
cards in hand puts cards from their hand onto their
deck until they have 4 cards in hand.

Gold Dragon • $5 • Action - Attack - Dragon
+$3
Each other player gains a Copper normally (into
their discard pile), to their hand, or onto their deck,
their choice.

Storm Dragon • $5 • Action - Attack - Dragon
+2 Cards
Discard 2 cards, revealing them. Each other player
with 4 or more cards in hand discards a copy of one
of those cards (or reveals they can't).

I really did ask for it, doing the recap week with both travellers and pair cards "in bounds".
Going to kind of go through one at a time on these.
Red Dragon: I do not feel strongly about Red Dragon. It's probably fine.
Green Dragon: The attack is the point, right? what's with these other weak options?

Plague Dragon: This is cool and a good use of raven tokens.
Gold Dragon: This is clever. I don't know if it needs the money bonus. I feel like you'd want to use this regardless of its lowercase-b boon for you, because you want to get it back to Plague Dragon. If you want to nerf it a little (and i do mean a little), just make it gain to hand, then each other discards down to 5.

Ice dragon: absolutely brutal freeze attack. Three turns? in midgame, where it freezes out your, say, Overlord? nah. how's this on the same power level as red dragon?
Storm dragon: clever, and probably the only good use of the bonuses on these.

With having one option blocking others, it does mess with the opening in bad ways - it's not like an opponent can necessarily retaliate in kind, they'd probably get stuck doing The Other dragon at you, yeah?

These on their own / triggered from an Event or similar landscape would be extremely swingy. Factoring in Liaisons, they're going to be impossible to balance. Maybe that makes for a fun game, but it probably just earns them a spot on my banlist after an opponent Ice Dragon's my overlord while I Storm Dragon a duchy out of their hand, choosing my discards so i can still try to hit $5.

This is also making me rethink whether I want to do "design an ally" for the next WDC. I think there's a reason most of those are fairly conservatively designed, and that's because it is combinatorically explosive ground to tread.

Merchant City • $5 • Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
If one or more supply piles are empty: +1 Coffers and you may spend 4 Favors or 4 Coffers to play Trade.

Glass Maker • $4 • Action - Liaison
+1 Card
+1 Action
If you have an even number of Glass Makers in play, +1 Coffers, +$1, and +1 Favor

Trade • Outcome
+1 Villager
+1 Buy
+$6

Merchant City & Glass Maker are paired cards.

First impression: This is doing too much. Doubly so with Glass Maker being a Liaison. I get that Glass Maker exists as an enabler for Merchant City, but it's going to be a bummer for the player that lines those up versus the player whose shuffle gives them those spread over several hands during that post-opening early game.

Additionally, I'm not convinced a card needs to ever give coin and coffers. Or that Trade needs to be giving Villagers. or enabled via Favors. Trade is too big of a swing with 4 Favors -> $6.

Nitpick: Trade is already an Event

Corvidologist • $5 • Action - Duration
Gain a card onto your deck costing up to $5. If you do, at the start of your next turn, play the Raven.

Raven • $0* • Action - Attack
Each other player reveals their hand. If the cards are not all different, they discard down to 3 and get +2 Curse tokens.

Good analysis on Curse tokens having the same issue as VP tokens. I like how the Corvidologist is a partial defense against the Raven attack.

Nitpick: Corvidologist should probably specify to leave it there when playing the Raven.

Great job everyone; it was not easy choosing a winner. Ultimately I chose based on walking a theoretical new player through as my regularization - the cleanest entry in that respect was Corvidology, but I imagine I'd have a great time playing a number of these cards.

Winner: Aquila's Corvidology + Raven
Runner Up: arowdok's Maturity + Buttons + Parcel

LibraryAdventurer, you should absolutely put together a mini-expansion on the concept "If you didn't spend an action to play this".
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 05:57:35 pm by spineflu »

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +461
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2022, 03:47:03 am »
+1

good judging. yeah i knew my entry was sort of bad, but i wanted to try regardless. completely fair points you made
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2022, 04:02:57 am »
+1

Winner: Aquila's Corvidology + Raven
OK nice, thanks. Thinking of this card made me wonder how Raven as its own Supply pile (with a self-bonus like + at cost) would work.

I left off any 'leave in play' clause because Gear and the like are discarded the same turn if nothing is set aside under them; they would track nothing.

It was a while ago I last entered these contests, but I remember saying what my next mechanic was going to be. Just setting it up now...
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.