Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #146: Contacts  (Read 9030 times)

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #146: Contacts
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2022, 04:16:41 pm »

My Submission (updated):

Quote from: Neutral Ground
Neutral Ground • $4 • Action - Victory - Liaison
+1 Action
+$1
+1 Favor

Worth 2% if you have at least 5 Favors (otherwise worth 0%).

Made a new version. I originally wanted it to be a dead Victory card as a strong contrast to all of the existing Liaisons, but it subsequently occurred to me that that would render Circle of Witches and League of Shopkeepers useless (in the absence of another Liaison); and, since (without the Favors) the card is a $4 Estate, it would (mostly) render Neutral Ground useless. While a 2/23 chance of the card being unusable is probably not prohibitively bad (I would posit that there are several official cards that are mostly unbuyable in a larger portion of Kingdoms), I feel like it isn't in the spirit of the mechanic to have it just not work with some Allies.

Thus, I came up with a new version, an Action - Victory - Liaison. I like this new version better anyway. It's a disappearing Copper that also gives a Favor (or a disappearing Bauble with only 2 of the choices), and if you save 5 Favors it's also worth 2VP. There are some fun synergies with Fellowship of Scribes (which makes it into a [conditional] Peddler, but if you want the VP you'll have to forego 4 draws) and League of Shopkeepers (which, after 4 plays turns it into a much more valuable disappearing Silver that is worth VP).
[/quote]

How is this a disappearing Copper/Bauble? It doesn't exile or trash itself after play.

To me the card seems rather weak - the Action part is essentially a Bauble where you're forced to choose the options +1 $ and +1 Favor. And it takes some work and "sacrificing" 5 Favors to get the 2 VP (except with League of Shopkeepers or Bankers, where you have to save your Favors anyway).

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2022, 05:31:46 pm »
+5

The Acting Troupe of favors, kinda. Sometimes lots of favors at once wont be too great.  Sometimes this could be pretty awesome. $3 might be too cheap?

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2022, 05:55:41 pm »
+1

My Submission (updated):

Quote from: Neutral Ground
Neutral Ground • $4 • Action - Victory - Liaison
+1 Action
+$1
+1 Favor

Made a new version. I originally wanted it to be a dead Victory card as a strong contrast to all of the existing Liaisons, but it subsequently occurred to me that that would render Circle of Witches and League of Shopkeepers useless (in the absence of another Liaison); and, since (without the Favors) the card is a $4 Estate, it would (mostly) render Neutral Ground useless. While a 2/23 chance of the card being unusable is probably not prohibitively bad (I would posit that there are several official cards that are mostly unbuyable in a larger portion of Kingdoms), I feel like it isn't in the spirit of the mechanic to have it just not work with some Allies.

Thus, I came up with a new version, an Action - Victory - Liaison. I like this new version better anyway. It's a disappearing Copper that also gives a Favor (or a disappearing Bauble with only 2 of the choices), and if you save 5 Favors it's also worth 2VP. There are some fun synergies with Fellowship of Scribes (which makes it into a [conditional] Peddler, but if you want the VP you'll have to forego 4 draws) and League of Shopkeepers (which, after 4 plays turns it into a much more valuable disappearing Silver that is worth VP).

How is this a disappearing Copper/Bauble? It doesn't exile or trash itself after play.

To me the card seems rather weak - the Action part is essentially a Bauble where you're forced to choose the options +1 $ and +1 Favor. And it takes some work and "sacrificing" 5 Favors to get the 2 VP (except with League of Shopkeepers or Bankers, where you have to save your Favors anyway).

The term disappearing money refers to non-terminal Action cards that gives +Coins but don't give +Cards. These cards "disappear" from your hand, reducing your handsize (and generally giving you a better value than peddler variants [that give both +Coins and +Cards]). They go well with things like draw-to-X or cards that discard your hand (like Tactician).

I like the design because (on it's own) it is on the weaker side, but there is a ton of potential for synergies/combos (which is what I like about Dominion).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2022, 03:58:33 pm »
+1

Exchange Rate
$3
Action - Duration - Liaison
Now and at the start of your next turn, choose one: +1 Favor; Spend a Favor for +2 Villagers; Spend a Villager for +2 Coffers; Spend a Coffers for +2%.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2022, 05:39:56 pm »

Exchange Rate
$3
Now and at the start of your next turn, choose one: +1 Favor; Spend a Favor for +2 Villagers; Spend a Villager for +2 Coffers; Spend a Coffers for +2%.

I really like this idea, but the VP reward at the end seems way too easy to obtain if there are any other sources of Coffers. Self contained I think the work may warrant the reward, but I can see this likely being broken in Kingdoms with other sources of Coffers. If I could hazard a suggestion; keeping with the theme and design, perhaps "Spend a Coffers for +2 Favors"?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 05:41:25 pm by Xen3k »

jakav

• Baron
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2022, 06:04:43 pm »
+4

Quote from: Demolition
Demolition · Cost: 3 · Action - Liason
+1 Action
Discard up to 4 cards, then draw
that many. +1 Favor per card discarded.

In order to get ready to build your next building, you have to demolish the old one. The demolition will help you get favors to build the next building, but of the price is, of course, getting rid of the old one.

Demolition is a Cellar variant, but one that provides an extra benefit to discarding, adding more strategy to it. It should be regularly useful, for the favors if not for the discarding. It should function well with all the Allies. It does not say "reveal" because it uses the wording on Cellar.

Feedback is appreciated.

Edit: Corrected bad quote. Edit 2: I made it non-terminal, as it was originally supposed to be.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 06:34:07 pm by jakav »
--Jakav--

(Why shouldn't signatures be like the above?)

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2022, 06:12:10 pm »
+1

The Acting Troupe of favors, kinda. Sometimes lots of favors at once wont be too great.  Sometimes this could be pretty awesome. $3 might be too cheap?

If this is the only card on Kingdom with a different type from the standard ones (Victory, Action, Treasure, Curse), you wouldn't be able to activate it if you trash your 3 starting Estates, are not beeing cursed and still don't start greening. Is it a intended downside?

Edit: supposing that Kingdom also don't have Alt-VP.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 06:17:21 pm by Carline »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2022, 06:22:03 pm »

If this is the only card on Kingdom with a different type from the standard ones (Victory, Action, Treasure, Curse), you wouldn't be able to activate it if you trash your 3 starting Estates, are not beeing cursed and still don't start greening. Is it a intended downside?

It's a Liaison. It guarantees a non-standard type on the board.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 07:27:54 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2022, 06:35:02 pm »
+1

Right. But if it's the only one, then there's only Action, Treasure, Liaison, Victory, and Curse. If you trash the starting Estates, and don't gain any cards with the Victory or Curse type, the only types in your deck would be Action, Liaison, and Treasure. Thus, you could never trigger Schmooze (until you got a Victory card).

Plus, even if you leave the Estates in there, the only way to trigger it would be to collide 2 of them, meaning you would have to have a basically useless card in your deck (the last copy of Schmooze).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 06:36:31 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2022, 07:27:44 pm »

Right. But if it's the only one, then there's only Action, Treasure, Liaison, Victory, and Curse. If you trash the starting Estates, and don't gain any cards with the Victory or Curse type, the only types in your deck would be Action, Liaison, and Treasure. Thus, you could never trigger Schmooze (until you got a Victory card).

Plus, even if you leave the Estates in there, the only way to trigger it would be to collide 2 of them, meaning you would have to have a basically useless card in your deck (the last copy of Schmooze).

Oh, right. Nevermind, I misread Carline's comment, disregard.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2022, 11:42:57 am »
+1

Doesn't seem like an issue to me honestly.  As long as at least four types are available, I'm not worried.  Maybe it isn't very good on a few boards with no other types, but that isn't uncommon among dominion cards (to be not good in certain kingdoms)

Edit: and 3 types seems too easy imo
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 11:46:05 am by Chappy7 »

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2022, 03:17:37 pm »
+2

Doesn't seem to be a problem to me.  If you're trashing your Estates, you're probably not buying this card.  If you're planning to buy this card, don't trash your Estates.  The presence or absence of a good trasher might determine whether you include this card in your strategy.  But even so, you probably still do want some trashing to increase the likelihood of it working.

Saying this card isn't good if you trash your Estates would be similar to arguing that Baron isn't good if you trash your Estates, in my opinion.
he/him

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2022, 05:38:56 pm »
+1

Exchange Rate
$3

I really like this idea, but the VP reward at the end seems way too easy to obtain if there are any other sources of Coffers. Self contained I think the work may warrant the reward, but I can see this likely being broken in Kingdoms with other sources of Coffers. If I could hazard a suggestion; keeping with the theme and design, perhaps "Spend a Coffers for +2 Favors"?

Would you spend a Coffers for +2 Favor and consider that good? Like the card gives +1 Favor to start the trading game so it would really be -1 Coffers for +1 Favor more then what is guaranteed on each trigger which seems like a waste of text and players time.
The -1 Coffer for +2VP may seems strong as the whole point of Dominion is to turn $ into VP. This card play in some risky spaces as any VP token card that does not progress the board may stalemate the game. So I would compare it to Monument which grants +1VP each play along with money which this card does not give it actually cost $ to get the VP tokens. Now with an alt source of Coffers you may find the best action is to ignore all other cards and cheese out lots of coffers into lots of VP tokens. Hopefully that happens only late enough in the game for others to counter that strategy or end the game before a player has a clean system, like players who aim to get a mega deck full of Throne Rooms & Monuments, typical struggle to clean out there deck before the game ends. I think this card will be held back by it being terminal (excluding the villager use but that slows down your VP token gaining). The card is also a duration card, even if it triggers on both turns, it might miss some shuffles, if you do no have complete deck control.

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2022, 08:28:32 pm »

Doesn't seem to be a problem to me.  If you're trashing your Estates, you're probably not buying this card.  If you're planning to buy this card, don't trash your Estates.  The presence or absence of a good trasher might determine whether you include this card in your strategy.  But even so, you probably still do want some trashing to increase the likelihood of it working.

Saying this card isn't good if you trash your Estates would be similar to arguing that Baron isn't good if you trash your Estates, in my opinion.

I didn't say it was good or not when trash Estates, there's no evalution on my comment, I just asked if this feauture is intended. I called it downside because it is a limitation.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 08:37:54 pm by Carline »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2022, 01:35:12 am »
+1

~24 Hour warning

Here's the list of entries I have. Let me know if I missed yours.
Also, @MrFrog, did you want to make a new entry (or tweak your first one)?

Noblewoman by Gubump
Way of the Seagull by MrFrog
Shrine by JW
Neutral Ground by emtzalex
Organizer by NoMoreFun
Retailer by xyz123
Mentor by 4est
Borderlands by infangthief
Assassin by X-tra
Craftsman by AJL828
Concierge by mandioca15
Stooge by trivialknot
Nursery by spineflu
Court Occultist by Xen3k
Allies' Village by Carline
Foreign Market by Commodore Chuckles
Bribery by Augie279
Delegate by Joxeft
Pawnbroker by Firestix
Syndicate by Aquila
Peacemaking by UltimateGeek
Chamberlain by Lackar
Marchioness by D782802859
Procurator by Timinou
Schmooze by Chappy7
Exchange Rate by arowdok
Demolition by jakav

wow, that's a lot of entries. I'll have my work cut for me tomorrow...

[EDIT: added mandioca's card]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 11:09:23 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

MrFrog

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrFrog
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2022, 05:31:09 am »
+2

I'd love to, but I have no time at the moment, so I just withdraw my entry this time. Thanks for the feedback anyway!

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2022, 03:14:24 pm »
+1

~24 Hour warning

Noblewoman by Gubump
Shrine by JW
Organizer by NoMoreFun
Retailer by xyz123
Mentor by 4est
Assassin by X-tra
Craftsman by AJL828
Stooge by trivialknot
Nursery by spineflu
Court Occultist by Xen3k
Bribery by Augie279
Delegate by Joxeft
Pawnbroker by Firestix
Syndicate by Aquila
Chamberlain by Lackar
Procurator by Timinou
Schmooze by Chappy7
Exchange Rate by arowdok
Demolition by jakav

My entry (Concierge) is missing.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2022, 07:18:05 pm »
+1

~24 Hour warning

Noblewoman by Gubump
Shrine by JW
Organizer by NoMoreFun
Retailer by xyz123
Mentor by 4est
Assassin by X-tra
Craftsman by AJL828
Stooge by trivialknot
Nursery by spineflu
Court Occultist by Xen3k
Bribery by Augie279
Delegate by Joxeft
Pawnbroker by Firestix
Syndicate by Aquila
Chamberlain by Lackar
Procurator by Timinou
Schmooze by Chappy7
Exchange Rate by arowdok
Demolition by jakav

My entry (Concierge) is missing.
got it, thanks

I'll do start the judging later tonight
EDIT: ...and finish tomorrow or possibly the next night...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 01:43:19 am by LibraryAdventurer »

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2022, 06:17:50 am »
+3

didnt submit anything this week, but everyone here has great ideas and entries this week. good job everyone.
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2022, 01:53:12 am »
+10

Whew. When I decided on this contest, I didn't realize how hard it is to both make and judge liaisons that work well with all the Allies, and that which Ally is in the game can make a big difference in how strong a liaison is.
One thing I notice about the entries is that the majority of them had giving Favors as the main thing they do, whereas for most of the official Liaisons (besides Underling), getting Favors is more of a secondary benefit.
Here we go...

Way - Liaison
Follow this card's instructions; each time that would give you +Buys this turn, you get +Favors instead, and vice-versa.
Nice idea. The problem with Guildmaster could be fixed just by removing the last 3 words, so it doesn't turn Favors into Buys. Still, buys are often a resource that's hard to come by, so you usually won't want to trade them for Favors unless there's either an unusual abundance of buys or an especially strong Ally.

Noblewoman by Gubump
$4 - Action - Duration - Liaison
+2 Favors.
At the start of your next turn: +1 Card.
-
Setup: Add an extra Ally to the game. You cannot use that Ally if you have no Noblewomen in play.
I like cards that break the usual rules. It's weak apart from the Ally, but since its favors have more than one effect, and it's required for access to the 2nd Ally, it'll still be plenty strong a lot of the time. I like it. Finalist

Shrine by JW
Action - Liaison
+1 Card
+2 Actions
+1 Favor

Trash a card from your hand. +1 Favor if it is an Action card.
Underling + Hideout. Seems super strong for most of the game, but you're screwed when you run out of stuff to trash. Hard to judge overall. I don't think mandatory trashing on a Village is very fun (I don't much like Hideout either), especially if the Ally is Peaceful Cult...

$4 • Action - Victory - Liaison

+1 Action
+$1
+1 Favor

This looks like it'll usually be weak, and only worthwhile when there's a strong Ally (Then again, a lot of the Allies are strong). Worse, it doesn't sound fun to not use one of the resources it gives for five plays in order to get the VP (unless the Ally is Bankers or Shopkeepers).

Organizer by NoMoreFun
Action/Liaison - $4
+2 Cards
+1 Buy
______
When you gain this, +1 Favor per Favor you have.
In order to use Mountain Folk or Island Folk once, you have to buy 3 of these. It seems to me like a very awkward way of getting favors. It could make for interesting games with certain important Allies like if Peaceful Cult is the only trashing, and you really want to win the Organizer split with Order of Shopkeepers (multiplayer games with this and OoShopkeepers could be really frustrating). Generally though, I think the awkwardness will be less fun more often than more fun.

Retailer by xyz123
$5 - Action - Liaison
+ 2 Coffers
You may spend any number of Coffers. +1 Favor for each Coffer spent.
Coffers are generally stronger than favors (at least they're valued more highly when you compare Underling and Baker). With some Allies, it may never be worthwhile to trade Coffers for Favors. Other times, it could be a good idea. Overall, I think this card could use a little something more.

Mentor by 4est
$4 - Action - Liaison
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Each other player gets +1 Favor.
I like the idea. Sometimes it could work well, but it's going to be pretty bizarre with Circle of Witches. Like many of these cards, it'll depend on the Ally whether this'll be worthwhile. Unlike the others, Mentor wants a weak Ally for it to be worth using.

Victory-Liaison $3+

Worth 1VP per empty supply pile.
-----
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpaid, gain 2 Favors.
Besides being a dud with OoShopkeepers and CoWitches, it could maybe work well with other Allies considering the generous exchange rate. This hard to judge how it'll play with most of the Allies, but not working at all with those two is a significant minus.

Assassin by X-tra
$3 - Action - Liaison
+1 Action
+$1
Trash this or a card from your hand. +1 Favor per 2 differently named cards in the trash (round down).
A trasher that trashes itself and gives Favors. The slight 2nd player advantage is interesting (because the first time this is played in a game, it will (almost) never give favors). Later in some games, this could start giving truckloads of Favors, which could get crazy with certain Allies (like Island Folk).

Craftsman by AJL828
$4 - Action - Liaison
Gain a card costing up to $4.
+1 Favor per $1 less than $4 it costs.
I like the idea, but it's really going to depend on the kingdom if/when you want cards costing less than $4, so it's strength will vary a lot. There's always the Silver+1Favor option though. Good card if not the most exciting. semi-Finalist

Concierge by mandioca15
$5 - Action-Liaison
+$2
+1 Buy
Trash a card from your hand.
This turn, when you trash a card, +1 Favor.
This could make it hard to get Favors, especially if there's no village on the board (which is already the case sometimes with Emissary). Otherwise, I like it. I'm kind of torn between not really liking the Priest mechanic, and wishing there were more $5 Woodcutter+s.

Stooge by trivialknot
$5* - Action - Liaison
+2 Cards
+1 Favor
-----
Instead of paying this card's cost, you may pay a Favor.
This makes it so you can pay a Favor to get more Favors. Your first couple favors are probably going to be spent gaining Stooges (unless it's a weaker ally when it won't be worth getting more than one, if any), so it works slowly, but it'll still be good with a strong Ally. I like it, but it's probably going to want a lot of Villages. Finalist

Nursery by spineflu
$3+  Action - Liaison

+2 Actions
You may discard a card for +2 Cards.
-
When you buy this, you may overpay. For each $1 you overpaid, +1 Favor.
A nice sifting village with a 1:1 overpay for Favors. This is almost like turning the Allies into Projects you buy with coin but not quite. There's a limit to how many times you can buy and overpay for favors (unless something like Swap or Way of the Butterfly is in the kingdom...) I like it. Finalist

Court Occultist by Xen3k
$5 - Action - Attack - Liaison
+2 Cards
+1 Favor
Each player, starting with the player to your left, may trash a card from their hand for +1 Card.
If all trashed cards share a card type, +1 Action and +1 Favor. Otherwise, each other player gains a Curse.
It's never just a Lab or a Witch since the player of the Occultist also gets to trash. It's weird to have an attack that helps other players just as much as it attacks them. Honestly, I don't see the point in the attack happening this way.

$4 - Action - Liaison
+2 Actions
+2 Favors
You may spend a Favor for +1 Card.
This seems strong for what it does considering Underling is a $3, at least it'll be really strong with a strong Ally, but not (usually) strong enough to cost $5. I like the idea, but you want to be playing villages anyway, and I think Favors should have a cost, something you have to go out of your way to get much of. So I think this is too easy. Still, I'm calling it a semi-finalist.

$5 - Action - Liaison
+1 Villager
+1 Coffers
+1 Favor
Gain a Horse.
Funny. This could work, but it's not particularly compelling imo.

Bribery by Augie279
$4 - Project - Liaison
At the end of your Buy phase, you may pay any number of $, for +1 Favor per $ spent.
Another one that basically lets you buy favors for a 1:1 rate. Being able to buy the Favors at will once you buy the project makes it seem too easy to me. I think Nursery is more interesting as a new Village + the buying favors overpay.

Delegate by Joxeft
$4 - Action - Liaison
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Favor
You may discard a card for +1 Favor. You may spend 2 Favors to change the Ally to one of the set-aside Allies.
And another one that adds additional Allies to the game. I like the idea, but I don't like that the card is otherwise so similar to Underling.

Pawnbroker by Firestix
$4 - Action - Liaison
+$2
Trash a card from your hand. You may look through your discard pile and trash up to one copy of it.
Heirloom: Keepsake
Keepsake
$0 - Treasure - Heirloom
You may discard a Treasure for +1 Favor.
-
When you trash this, +4 Favors.
Pawnbroker seems like a strong trasher for Copper and Estate. I don't like setups that weaken your opening buys, and not giving any coin is a big drawback for Keepsake. I don't see any reason for Keepsake not to give any coin, except to make you want to trash it even more. I have said that I think there should be a price for Favors, but I think the price to keep Keepsake for more Favors is too high. Not only does it no nothing besides give favors, but you have to discard Treasures for them as well as keeping the junk card.

Syndicate by Aquila
$5 - Action - Liaison
+1 Card
+2 Actions
Choose one: +$1, or trash a card from your hand.
Each other player gets +1 Favor.
And another one like Mentor that gives Favors to other players. I think this one is more interesting and fun-looking than Mentor. (Though it's still going to be kind of weird with Circle of Witches.) It'll going to feel bad to be giving other players extra turns with Island Folk with this, especially if this is the only village or the only trashing, but it's harder to pass on than Mentor in those cases I think.

$4 - Event
Move your +1 Favor token to an Action supply pile.
(When you play a card from that pile, it is considered a Liaison and you first get +1 Favor.)
-
Setup: Add a random Ally if no Ally was drawn.
This is my favorite of the Landscape Liaisons (despite it not technically being a liaison). The Allies are such that this would be easily worth $5 with some Allies, and possibly not worth buying for $4 with others. But it's less bad for a landscape to be dead some games than for a kingdom card. Finalist

Chamberlain by Lackar
$5 - Action - Liaison
+$2
Discard any number of Treasures, revealed, for +1 Favor each.
I feel like this could cost $4, but otherwise seems good, though not particularly interesting.

$2 - Action - Liaison
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+1 Favor
-
In games using this, when you gain an Action costing $5 or more, you may gain a Marchioness.
Easier to get for free than Duchess, since you don't want to buy Duchies nearly as often as other $5s. Way to use the Duchess mechanic for something that's actually worth having in your deck (most of the time anyway).

Procurator by Timinou
$2 - Action - Liaison
+1 Action
Look at the top card of your deck. You may either discard it for +1 Card or trash it.
-
When you discard this other than during clean-up, +2 Favors.
I like this one, although it could make it very hard to get Favors if it's the only card that discards. Giving two at a time partly makes up for that. I like that it's a decent $2 card even without the Favors (and I think Dominion could use more decent $2 cards). Finalist

Schmooze by Chappy7
$3 - Action - Liaison
+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal your hand. If there are four or more revealed types, trash this and +4 Favors.
I didn't know Schmooze was a real word until I looked it up just now. It's a unique way of giving Favors, but still Underling already covers the space of "cantrip that does nothing but give Favors". Maybe the last line could work well with different bonuses above it.

Exchange Rate by arowdok
$3 - Action - Duration - Liaison
Now and at the start of your next turn, choose one: +1 Favor; Spend a Favor for +2 Villagers;
Spend a Villager for +2 Coffers; Spend a Coffers for +2%.
A unique idea to use Favors as an investment to trade them for other tokens later. The problems I see are that this is slow, and it could get too strong with other cards that give Coffers or Villagers.

Demolition by jakav
$3 - Action - Liaison
Discard any number of cards, then draw that many.
+1 Favor per card discarded.
A Cellar Liaison (without the +action). This might still be okay costing $2 since it doesn't have the +action. Seems good. I like how it's a sifter that gives more motivation to sift more.

It's a tough choice, but I'm going to say the winner is...
Nursery by spineflu

Runners up: Noblewoman by Gubump and Peacemaking by UltimateGeek.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 02:03:24 am by LibraryAdventurer »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2022, 10:27:01 am »
+3

oh wow thanks for the win. i'll get the new one posted after i finish up judgment for the fan mechanic contest tomorrow

jakav

• Baron
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2022, 11:04:07 am »
+1

Demolition by jakav
$3 - Action - Liaison
A Cellar Liaison (without the +action). This might still be okay costing $2 since it doesn't have the +action. Seems good. I like how it's a sifter that gives more motivation to sift more.

My entry was originally intended to have a +1 Action, but I forgot that when mocking it up. I edited it later, but it wasn't very clear that it was edited. Next time, I will make sure that it is clear that it was updated.
--Jakav--

(Why shouldn't signatures be like the above?)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2022, 03:04:19 pm »

Demolition by jakav
$3 - Action - Liaison

My entry was originally intended to have a +1 Action, but I forgot that when mocking it up. I edited it later, but it wasn't very clear that it was edited. Next time, I will make sure that it is clear that it was updated.

Oops. Yeah, I didn't see that it had been changed.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2022, 03:02:33 am »
+2

oh wow thanks for the win. i'll get the new one posted after i finish up judgment for the fan mechanic contest tomorrow

i missed your card when looking at everyones, but i think its my favorite as well. does an unique village effect as well. nice job
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2022, 12:48:45 pm »
+5

Congrats to spineflu, and thanks to LibraryAdventurer for running the contest and commentating all the cards!

I do feel like Nursery is nearly strictly better than village, since it's practically fugitive+village.  But it technically isn't strictly better, and not centralizing, so it's probably okay.  It might put some pressure on the pile, and in combination with the overpay that could make the timing tricky.  Great card, I like it too.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 21 queries.