Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #146: Contacts  (Read 9029 times)

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #146: Contacts
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2022, 09:32:55 pm »
+3

Unless the village belongs to a woman named Allie, this should be "Ally's Village."
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2022, 09:56:15 pm »

Unless the village belongs to a woman named Allie, this should be "Ally's Village."

Fixed. Thank you!

A question about English (you know, it's not my language): This name (Ally's Village) would be the same if I'm refering to a Village of only one ally or a village of many allies? In portuguese we would say "Vila do Aliado" in the first case and "Vila dos Aliados" in the second.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 10:11:08 pm by Carline »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2022, 10:23:31 pm »
+1

Fixed. Thank you!

A question about English (you know, it's not my language): This name (Ally's Village) would be the same if I'm refering to a Village of only one ally or a village of many allies? In portuguese we would say "Vila do Aliado" in the first case and "Vila dos Aliados" in the second.

If that's your intention, then I think you'd basically have to name it "Village of Allies." "Ally's Village" means a village belonging to an ally, and "Allies' Village" would be a village belonging to multiple allies.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2022, 10:26:56 pm »
+5

Foreign Market
Action - Liaison - $5
+1 Villager
+1 Coffers
+1 Favor
Gain a Horse.

Probably the best translation of all 4 vanilla bonuses into things you can save up - VP tokens in the place of Buys doesn't really work.

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2022, 10:27:16 pm »

Fixed. Thank you!

If that's your intention, then I think you'd basically have to name it "Village of Allies." "Ally's Village" means a village belonging to an ally, and "Allies' Village" would be a village belonging to multiple allies.

I want to mean  a village belonging to multiple allies, so I will change again, to "Allies' Village". Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 10:29:05 pm by Carline »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2022, 10:29:58 pm »
+1

Fixed. Thank you!

I want to mean  a village belonging to multiple allies, so I will change again, to "Allies' Village". Thank you!

No problem, glad I could help!

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2022, 03:02:41 am »
+4

This should be fun as the only Liaison on a board without Buys. Might be worth it to get on boards even with either of those.
they/them

Joxeft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +103
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2022, 10:54:19 am »
+3

Feedback is appreciated. Thank you StrangerSon712 and mathdude.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 01:50:51 pm by Joxeft »

Firestix

• Swindler
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2022, 11:03:27 am »
+6

*Edit: Changed the cost of Pawnbroker from $3 to $4.

My Submission

Quote from: Pawnbroker
Pawnbroker ($4 Action - Liaison)
+$2
Trash a card from your hand. You may look through your discard pile and trash up to one copy of it.

Heirloom: Keepsake
Quote from: Keepsake
Keepsake ($0* Treasure - Heirloom)
You may discard a treasure for +1 Favor.

When you trash this, +4 Favors.
  • A terminal silver deck thinner with an heirloom that gives +favor.
  • The heirloom doesn't give you +$, but you can either keep it for gradual favor gain or trash it for a one time boost.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 11:29:14 am by Firestix »

Firestix

• Swindler
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2022, 11:27:01 am »

Pawnbroker looks like it is superior to Priest in a huge majority of Kingdom. So it has to cost $4.

That's a good point, I'll edit the post.

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2022, 12:09:30 pm »
+1

Feedback is appreciated.

I haven't played many games with Allies yet, but I feel that the ability to switch them should be more restricted. Maybe spend 2 Favors to do it? Maybe discard 2 cards?
he/him

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2022, 12:21:22 pm »
+4

Looks like my design is quite similar to 4est's:
Syndicate - Action Liaison, $5 cost.
+1 Card
+2 Actions

Choose one: + $1; or trash a card from your hand.
Each other player gets +1 Favor.

Giving out a Favor isn't covered in Allies, and to me seems interesting; the varying giveaway bonus affects the strength of the card.
From there I thought trashing would be a good self effect as both trashing and Favors like to come in early. After fiddling around with balance I came to this trashing village that can turn into Bazaar, a rather strong effect for a $5 and very often useful. The choice is not because of Elder hype  :P, it's in case the Ally is something like Peaceful Cult.

StrangerSon712

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2022, 12:57:47 pm »
+1

Feedback is appreciated.

I'm pretty sure +1 Card is always listed above +1 Action.

UltimateGeek

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2022, 05:17:22 pm »

Pawnbroker does not give out a Favor, so it shouldn't have type "Liaison".

Keepsake gives out Favors, so it should have type "Liaison".

UltimateGeek

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2022, 06:44:02 pm »
+5

Event: Peacemaking, cost: $4
Move your +1 Favor token to an Action supply pile. (When you play a card from that pile, it is considered a Liaison and you first get +1 Favor.)
-
Setup: Add a random Ally if no Ally was drawn.

I imagine the +1 Favor token artwork is a dove carrying an olive branch.

Lackar

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2022, 07:00:36 pm »
+2

Not sure if this would be better as an Action or Treasure. For now I have it as an action

Chamberlain
Action - Liason  $5

$2
Discard any number of Treasures, revealed, for +1 Favor each.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 09:10:25 am by Lackar »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2022, 01:50:52 am »

Not sure if this would be better as an Action or Treasure. For now I have it as an action

Chamberlain
Action - Liason  $5

$2
Discard any number of Treasure cards from your hand. +1 Favor per Treasure card discarded this way.

This needs to make you reveal the discarded cards (see Opulent Castle, Shepherd, and Silos). When you discard multiple cards, only the topmost card is public information by default. My suggested wording: "Discard any number of Treasures, revealed, for +1 Favor each."

Lackar

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2022, 09:10:57 am »

Chamberlain
Action - Liason  $5

$2
Discard any number of Treasure cards from your hand. +1 Favor per Treasure card discarded this way.

This needs to make you reveal the discarded cards (see Opulent Castle, Shepherd, and Silos). When you discard multiple cards, only the topmost card is public information by default. My suggested wording: "Discard any number of Treasures, revealed, for +1 Favor each."
Good catch, Thanks. Edited the original

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2022, 02:45:49 pm »
+8

« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 07:17:22 pm by D782802859 »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2022, 06:33:11 pm »
+1

You left out the currency type in "5 or more".

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2022, 07:17:36 pm »

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2022, 10:00:15 pm »
+2

Procurator can be a cantrip or a weak non-terminal trasher.  There is some self-synergy with the Reaction, and I think it would interact well with a number of cards in the new expansion with which you can discard cards.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2022, 11:54:32 pm »
+2

Procurator can be a cantrip or a weak non-terminal trasher.  There is some self-synergy with the Reaction, and I think it would interact well with a number of cards in the new expansion with which you can discard cards.

Mandatory on-discard triggers don't work. If you e.g. discard two Procurators to a Cellar, opponents only see one of them. The Reaction should be "when you discard this other than during Clean-up, you may reveal it for +2 Favors," see Tunnel.

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2022, 03:24:18 am »

My Submission (updated):

Quote from: Neutral Ground
Neutral Ground • $4 • Action - Victory - Liaison
+1 Action
+$1
+1 Favor

Worth 2% if you have at least 5 Favors (otherwise worth 0%).

Made a new version. I originally wanted it to be a dead Victory card as a strong contrast to all of the existing Liaisons, but it subsequently occurred to me that that would render Circle of Witches and League of Shopkeepers useless (in the absence of another Liaison); and, since (without the Favors) the card is a $4 Estate, it would (mostly) render Neutral Ground useless. While a 2/23 chance of the card being unusable is probably not prohibitively bad (I would posit that there are several official cards that are mostly unbuyable in a larger portion of Kingdoms), I feel like it isn't in the spirit of the mechanic to have it just not work with some Allies.

Thus, I came up with a new version, an Action - Victory - Liaison. I like this new version better anyway. It's a disappearing Copper that also gives a Favor (or a disappearing Bauble with only 2 of the choices), and if you save 5 Favors it's also worth 2VP. There are some fun synergies with Fellowship of Scribes (which makes it into a [conditional] Peddler, but if you want the VP you'll have to forego 4 draws) and League of Shopkeepers (which, after 4 plays turns it into a much more valuable disappearing Silver that is worth VP).

(I also forgot to give my first version the Liaison type. Oops.)

Old version:

Quote from: Neutral Ground
Neutral Ground • $4 • Victory
1VP

When you gain this, +1 Favor per Neutral Ground in the Supply.
Good points.
The thing about Circle of Witches and League of Shopkeepers makes my "Borderlands" entry a bit sad as well.
I was trying to come up with a Victory Liaison which gave VP based on number of Favors you had, but it seemed hard to get a sensible scaling for that. Your new Neutral Ground seems to do that well.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2022, 06:19:34 am »
+1

Pawnbroker does not give out a Favor, so it shouldn't have type "Liaison".

Keepsake gives out Favors, so it should have type "Liaison".

I think this is right, as Pawnbroker instructs you to include an Ally in the Kingdom during setup. It's ok as in every game using it there's a way to get Favors.

If Circle of Witches or League of Shopkeepers is the Ally, then you can activate those Allies using the Pawnbroker instead of the Keepsake, which is preferable considering trashing the Keepsake is a big source of Favors.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 06:21:06 am by NoMoreFun »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.