Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #146: Contacts  (Read 9031 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #146: Contacts
« on: March 17, 2022, 07:10:11 pm »
+11

Weekly Design Contest 146: Contacts
I get to do the obligatory new expansion mechanic contest!

I'll make it simple.
Who's going to be the contact between you and your allies?
Design a liaison (a card the gives favor tokens or otherwise causes players to have favor tokens... (like Importer)).

It doesn't have to necessarily be a card that would fit in the Allies expansion. Feel free to use mechanics from other expansions as well. But no travellers. Those are tough on judging.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 07:13:30 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

MrFrog

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrFrog
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #146: Contacts
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 07:36:38 pm »
+3

Are card-shaped things allowed? If so:

Way of the Seagull
Way - Liaison
Follow this card's instructions; each time that would give you +Buys this turn, you get +Favors instead, and vice-versa.

Chameleon's cousin. Technically the rules don't cover Liaison as a type for landscapes, of course. You should add an Ally when playing with it (if no Ally is drawn already). I could have made it a standard Way with dividing line and 'In games using this ...' clause, but I prefer this cleaner looking version.

Feedback is welcome!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 07:37:54 pm by MrFrog »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 07:56:53 pm »
+7

FAQ:
  • Family of Inventors' cost reduction does not apply during scoring. However, it does reduce costs even while there are no Noblewomen in play, you just can't add Favor tokens to Supply piles if you have no Noblewomen in play (in other words, the cost reduction isn't considered "using" Family of Inventors, adding Favor tokens is).
  • Gang of Pickpockets making you discard does not count as using an Ally, but spending a Favor to avoid discarding does. Thus if Gang of Pickpockets is the extra Ally, you'll be forced to discard every turn that you have no Noblewomen in play.
  • Plateau Shepherds does nothing if it's the extra Ally.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 01:33:45 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 09:33:37 pm »
+1

Are card-shaped things allowed? If so:

Way of the Seagull
Way - Liaison
Follow this card's instructions; each time that would give you +Buys this turn, you get +Favors instead, and vice-versa.

Chameleon's cousin. Technically the rules don't cover Liaison as a type for landscapes, of course. You should add an Ally when playing with it (if no Ally is drawn already). I could have made it a standard Way with dividing line and 'In games using this ...' clause, but I prefer this cleaner looking version.

Feedback is welcome!
Landscapes are okay for the contest. I didn't really want to encourage them because Allies & favors would be more awkward with a liaison landscape. Combined with Guildmaster, this Way gives enough buys to empty all 0-cost cards, and if there's cost reduction, that'll be real trouble. So this one won't work well as-is.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 11:36:14 pm »
+2

Shrine

Action - Liaison
+1 Card
+2 Actions
+1 Favor

Trash a card from your hand. +1 Favor if it is an Action card.

A trashing Village full of Underlings. At some point you’ll probably run out of things to trash. On some boards you’ll have tough decisions about whether to gain or trash cheap cards (particularly actions) so that you can keep playing Shrine. Edit: reworded per BBobb's suggestion.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 10:07:20 am by JW »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2022, 12:46:24 am »
+6

My Submission (updated):

Quote from: Neutral Ground
Neutral Ground • $4 • Action - Victory - Liaison
+1 Action
+$1
+1 Favor

Worth 2% if you have at least 5 Favors (otherwise worth 0%).

Made a new version. I originally wanted it to be a dead Victory card as a strong contrast to all of the existing Liaisons, but it subsequently occurred to me that that would render Circle of Witches and League of Shopkeepers useless (in the absence of another Liaison); and, since (without the Favors) the card is a $4 Estate, it would (mostly) render Neutral Ground useless. While a 2/23 chance of the card being unusable is probably not prohibitively bad (I would posit that there are several official cards that are mostly unbuyable in a larger portion of Kingdoms), I feel like it isn't in the spirit of the mechanic to have it just not work with some Allies.

Thus, I came up with a new version, an Action - Victory - Liaison. I like this new version better anyway. It's a disappearing Copper that also gives a Favor (or a disappearing Bauble with only 2 of the choices), and if you save 5 Favors it's also worth 2VP. There are some fun synergies with Fellowship of Scribes (which makes it into a [conditional] Peddler, but if you want the VP you'll have to forego 4 draws) and League of Shopkeepers (which, after 4 plays turns it into a much more valuable disappearing Silver that is worth VP).

(I also forgot to give my first version the Liaison type. Oops.)

Old version:

Quote from: Neutral Ground
Neutral Ground • $4 • Victory
1VP

When you gain this, +1 Favor per Neutral Ground in the Supply.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 01:56:58 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2022, 01:00:32 am »
+3

Organizer
Action/Liaison - $4
+2 Cards
+1 Buy
______
When you gain this, +1 Favor per Favor you have

BBobb

• Moneylender
  • My brother says thief is amazing.
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2022, 01:39:20 am »
+3

Shrine

Action - Liaison
+1 Card and +2 Actions.
Trash a card from your hand for +1 Favor (+2 Favors if it is an Action).

A trashing Village full of Underlings. At some point you’ll probably run out of things to trash. On some boards you’ll have tough decisions about whether to gain or trash cheap actions so that you can keep playing Shrine.
Can't this be reworded to make it simpler? Something like:
+1 Card
+2 Actions
+1 Favor

Trash a card from your hand. +1 Favor if it is an Action card.

Technically this changes it in a small way (gives favors even if deck is empty and so is hand)

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2022, 05:01:29 am »
+6

Retailer
Action - Liaison
$5

+ 2 Coffers

You may spend any number of Coffers. +1 Favor for each Coffer spent

- Upped the cost from $4 to $5 following feedback.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 03:41:26 pm by xyz123 »

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2022, 10:49:39 am »
+9

Mentor is a cheap lab variant that gives out Favors to everyone else. Not much to really say; depending on what the Ally is, these could be worth getting a lot of, or perhaps using sparingly. And hey, you'll likely might get some mentorship from your opponents too. Everyone benefits from a good mentor.

*Edit: changed price from $3 to $4.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 12:03:21 pm by 4est »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2022, 10:55:58 am »

interesting non-symmetric interaction with Plateau Shepherds, where it does nothing when they're the special ally (since game end instructions put everything from in play into your deck for endgame scoring), but work when they are the regular ally.

brings up a rule question about Family of Inventors tho - does the FoI/Plateau Shepherds interaction happen? or at the end of the game, do cards cost what's printed on them, and the kingdom itself gets cleaned up or otherwise ignored?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 10:59:32 am by spineflu »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2022, 11:14:23 am »

interesting non-symmetric interaction with Plateau Shepherds, where it does nothing when they're the special ally (since game end instructions put everything from in play into your deck for endgame scoring), but work when they are the regular ally.

brings up a rule question about Family of Inventors tho - does the FoI/Plateau Shepherds interaction happen? or at the end of the game, do cards cost what's printed on them, and the kingdom itself gets cleaned up or otherwise ignored?

Hm, good question. I hadn't thought about Plateau Shepherds. For balance's sake, I'm going to rule that FoI's cost reduction does not apply during scoring. Added an FAQ about Noblewomen + FoI to my submission post.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 11:18:17 am by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2022, 11:27:46 am »
+5

Retailer
Action - Liaison
$4

+ 2 Coffers

You may spend any number of Coffers. +1 Favor for each Coffer spent

I think this is good enough to cost . It's probably not as good as Butcher, but its bonus over +2 Coffers is better than Villain's crappy attack.

Mentor is a cheap lab variant that gives out Favors to everyone else. Not much to really say; depending on what the Ally is, these could be worth getting a lot of, or perhaps using sparingly. And hey, you'll likely might get some mentorship from your opponents too. Everyone benefits from a good mentor.

Based on how the official Liaisons are balanced/priced, I don't think giving out one Favor to each opponent is enough of a drawback to warrant making an ordinarily card cost . I'd price this at .
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 11:28:52 am by Gubump »

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2022, 11:51:34 am »
+2

Borderlands
Victory-Liaison $3+

Worth 1VP per empty supply pile.
-----
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpaid, gain 2 Favors.

EDIT: Increase 1->2 Favors per $1 you overpay. I think it is too weak otherwise. It may still be too weak. I kind of want to make it cost $2+, but then it is strictly better than Estate and maybe too good with Plateau Shepherds. Could it even cost $1+?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 07:32:28 am by infangthief »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2022, 12:01:38 pm »
+8

« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 12:41:38 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2022, 12:13:19 pm »
+3

Just an FYI, the parenthetical should be at the end of the sentence (see Fairgrounds).

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2022, 12:42:05 pm »

Just an FYI, the parenthetical should be at the end of the sentence (see Fairgrounds).

You are correct! I edited my post to update the wording. Thank you!
Bottom text

StrangerSon712

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2022, 01:21:05 pm »
+1

How would Pickpockets work with this?

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2022, 01:28:48 pm »

How would Pickpockets work with this?

Since you can't spend Favors to use the extra Ally, you'd be forced to discard unless you have a Noblewoman in play.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2022, 02:03:40 pm »
+9

Craftsman
Action - Liaison ($4)

Gain a card costing up to $4. +1 Favor per $1 less than $4 it costs.

If you gain a $4 card it's just a standard workshop, but if you pay the Craftsman well for smaller items, he'll make it up to you later on. Maybe you want to gain a Copper just for the Favors? Some cost reduction could also help you out, gain the fancier cards you wanted while still getting a couple Favors too.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2022, 02:51:42 pm »
+1

Concierge (Action-Liaison, $5)

+$2
+1 Buy

Trash a card from your hand.

This turn, when you trash a card, +1 Favor.

If you set things up correctly, Concierge can do nice things for you further down the line.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2022, 03:48:08 pm »
+3

Stooge
Action - Liaison
$5*

+2 Cards
+1 Favor
-----
Instead of paying this card's cost, you may pay a Favor.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2022, 06:21:11 pm »
+3

Nursery • $3+ • Action - Liaison
+2 Actions
You may discard a card for +2 Cards.
-
When you buy this, you may overpay. For each $1 you overpaid, +1 Favor.

Named after the "it takes a village to raise a child" bromide. Where does one raise kids? in a nursery.

I think it's different enough from Village that it's not a big deal to have both at the $3 base price point - after all, shanty town's there too, right? Leans into the red/blue discard-draw subtheme of Allies.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 06:28:27 pm by spineflu »

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2022, 07:24:15 pm »
+1

Court Occultist
Action - Attack - Liaison
+2 Cards
+1 Favor
Each player, starting with the player to your left, may trash a card from their hand for +1 Card.
If all trashed cards share a card type, +1 Action and +1 Favor. Otherwise, each other player gains a Curse.

A weird attack card that allows everyone to trash a card, then acts as either a curser or a Lab. Which mode is determined by what cards are trashed. If no card is trashed, then the second half does not trigger as there are no trashed cards to check. Additionally, if a player uses a Moat to ignore the card, they cannot trash a card from hand for +1 Card. Went with $5, as that is a pretty safe Attack card cost. This is pretty different from most Liaisons, but I was thinking it could be too good at $4. Feedback is appreciated.

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2022, 08:41:45 pm »
+2

UPDATE: Edited to fix name. Thanks Gubump.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 10:33:41 pm by Carline »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.