Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 48  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Enterprise  (Read 412273 times)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Enterprise (Beta)
« Reply #975 on: October 08, 2015, 09:34:40 pm »
+2

Merchant Quarter/Masterpiece is a hilarious megaturn setup.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

DragonsDream

• Pawn
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: October 09, 2015, 02:17:11 am »
+1

with Auction, when the attack card played is a discard attack like Militia, can you use the Auction reaction first before discarding down to 3 because of the attack?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: October 09, 2015, 07:19:29 am »
+1

with Auction, when the attack card played is a discard attack like Militia, can you use the Auction reaction first before discarding down to 3 because of the attack?

Yes.

The point where a card is played is before it is resolved. If a Reaction triggers on playing a card, consider it as if the game freezes for a moment, all Reactions are resolved and only then the attack itself happens. It wouldn't be very useful if Moat protected you only after Witch has allready been resolved. Also compare to the existing reaction Secret Chamber.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: October 09, 2015, 09:14:23 am »
+1

What Apser said is also important in regards to several other "real" cards. For Minion and Pirate ship, you have to choose to reveal a Moat or Secret Chamber before your opponent chooses what they are going to do with those cards.

But... did you mean Dignitary, or some other card? Auction isn't a reaction.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 09:15:40 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: October 09, 2015, 10:13:39 am »
+2

What Apser said is also important in regards to several other "real" cards. For Minion and Pirate ship, you have to choose to reveal a Moat or Secret Chamber before your opponent chooses what they are going to do with those cards.

But... did you mean Dignitary, or some other card? Auction isn't a reaction.

I think some versions of Auction were Reactions, though the most recent is not.

Also, i really think Merchant Quarter should not reference the physical card. Haven and Gear don't do that, either. Just "set aside a token" sounds natural to me, and "return" as well as "remove", though not defined yet, seem fine. If you are still looking for alternatives, you could also "spend" them, like Butcher does, if you don't like "lose". It implies some level of being optional, but Storyteller allready "spends" without a choice.
Edit: Nevermind, it's weird on Storyteller, too.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 10:20:57 am by Asper »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: November 30, 2015, 05:50:36 pm »
+3

I'm finally working on Enterprise again, gearing up to start playtesting. I have some new card ideas, but I'm going to try to test them a few times before posting them here. I have a few thoughts about the existing cards that I would love feedback on. Here are some card images for reference.

• I am going to test the Reaction version of Auction shown above. The main impetus here is to give you another reason to buy it. The top half is especially bad against discard attacks, and the bottom half is a decent counter there.
• I am considering re-costing Redistrict at $0 for two reasons. First, it means that you will never be able to gain another Redistrict by playing Redistrict just to lower the pile. Second, it would be cool to have a $0 card and Redistrict seems like a pretty OK candidate for that.
• It would be nice to have a different—but still terse—bonus on Bookkeeper in order to jazz it up. Something like "Gain a Conscripts", only not actually that. Bookkeeper is helping to fill the Attack quota in the set, but it's not particularly exciting. Perhaps it would be better to replace the attack portion as well/instead. I have been thinking about co-opting dominator 123's Inverse Swamp Hag idea.
• People complained about the current version of Convoy looking worse than Smithy at $4, so as you can see I've bumped it down to $3 and will test it there.
• I plan to test Raider at $4, based on Asper and Co0kieL0rd's playtest. I also plan to rename it "Racketeer".
• I was thinking at one point that perhaps I would turn Conscripts into a Treasure–Attack called "Sword". It would be [Worth $2. When you play this, if you have another Attack card in play, trash this and each other player gains a Curse.] Then Barracks would be Bladesmith (and Profiteer would probably stay Profiteer). I am now leaning away from this, but I wanted to know if anybody had an opinion.
• At least one person in this long thread suggested having a card that gains a Conscripts when you trash it. That's a good idea. I initially didn't want to do it because I didn't want the set to effectively have three Curse-junkers, but as long as the card doesn't trash itself, it should be sufficiently hard to do. If I changed Conscripts to Sword, I would call this card "Martyr", but I don't know what to name a card that gains you a Conscripts when trashed. Ideas?
• Barter is no longer so special now that Transmogrify exists, while at the same time it would be nice if all Trade token cards gained a single token when you gained them (not counting ones that give tokens on-play). Maybe I will try to replace it.
• I have another draw-to-X card idea, so I may replace Wheelwright.

• I am dropping Mill Town from the set (at least for now). The set has too many $3 cards and more than enough villages (Jubilee, Terrace, General). Jubilee and Terrace are on-theme, but Mill Town is not.
• I am dropping Conquest. Man, who thought that card was a good idea, amirite?
• I am dropping Clerk. Don't think twice, it's all right.
• I am dropping Refurbish; again I have too many $3 cards. I guess I could try a $5 version.
• Craftsman is being replaced with Trade Goods; I've talked about that elsewhere.
• I am dropping Barrister/Domain (and probably not pursuing Pickpocket/Lucky Coin). Seemed like a cool idea, but I think it's time to let it die.
• I am dropping Conclave. I've been in denial for a while, but it's just too strong too often. I guess I could try it at $6. Hard to say if it's attractive at that price.

EDIT: I totally just updated these images, and in the process costed Redistrict at $0 and renaming Raider to "Racketeer".
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 10:31:25 am by LastFootnote »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: November 30, 2015, 06:07:46 pm »
+4

• I am dropping Conclave.

Nooooo don't do it! :'(
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: November 30, 2015, 06:09:43 pm »

• I am dropping Conclave.

Nooooo don't do it! :'(

Well maybe it would be fine at $6. How do you feel about that possibility?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: November 30, 2015, 06:14:52 pm »
+3

... a little bit less empty inside?

EDIT: I mean, I think it's a really cool card, and also really simple, so I am sad to see it go. I think it could use an extra shot at 6$.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 06:37:45 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: November 30, 2015, 09:03:24 pm »
+4

Conclave could get some friendly interaction. Everybody loves friendly interaction. On gain, for example.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: November 30, 2015, 11:27:43 pm »
+1

Why isn't Raider an Attack?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: December 01, 2015, 12:33:46 am »

Why isn't Raider an Attack?

Because I made a mistake! Thanks for catching it. I'll add that when I change the name/type.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: December 01, 2015, 12:35:38 am »
+1

Conclave could get some friendly interaction. Everybody loves friendly interaction. On gain, for example.

Well despite it being simple in practice, Conclave is already pretty full of words. Any potential fix doesn't really want to increase complexity. The two obvious avenues I see are raising its price to $6, or removing the +1 Action and (dramatically) reducing its price.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: December 01, 2015, 01:33:26 am »
+3

In the couple games I've played with Conclave, it seemed strong but not too strong. There were times it would reveal three actions or three treasures and only draw one card. Is it really too strong as it is? Maybe it would help
if it put remaining cards back on your deck instead of discarding them?

PS: I like how Donald fixed your old Investment card with the Training event.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 01:36:31 am by LibraryAdventurer »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: December 01, 2015, 01:42:22 am »
+1

In the couple games I've played with Conclave, it seemed strong but not too strong. There were times it would reveal three actions or three treasures and only draw one card. Is it really too strong as it is? Maybe it would help
if it put remaining cards back on your deck instead of discarding them?

Hmm, maybe. That might make the card stronger in very trimmed decks, but weaker overall. Neat idea.

PS: I like how Donald fixed your old Investment card with the Training event.

Yeah, I immediately gave up work on Investment once I started playtesting Adventures, since Donald had independently come up with the same idea and created a much better implementation of it.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: December 01, 2015, 08:27:54 am »
+3

I'm excited to see you took up work on Enterprise again and I'll happily give my opinion on your plans :)

• Auction is definitely more interesting with the reaction and not too complex in my opinion. The only caveat is that it compares very, very favourably to Secret Chamber. We should test it at $2 but if it seems pretty strong it could easily be raised to $3.
  • Having a card for $0 would be cool but Redistrict seems a touch too strong for $0 (I might overestimate it though). But having it cost $1 would conversely make it even stronger. I dont't know, it seems weird now but I guess we can try it (I say "we" because you can consider me a fix playtester for your set, as long as I find co-testers).
  • I'm in favour of making Conscripts a Treasure-Attack because I like the typing and making a card that gives +actions and +$ a Treasure is more elegant (as you can drop the action). Also, it would nerf Profiteer a little which I feels justified.
  • I mentioned somewhere that Barter was sometimes ridiculously strong so it's appropriate you drop it if you don't want to change it.
  • Why drop Clerk? It's such a simple and elegant little card? What harm does it do? And with Redistrict possibly becoming $0-card, you'd want to keep other $2-cards in your set.
  • I'd be a little sad if you'd drop the concept of Domains completely but that's your decision, man. Pickpocket and Lucky Coin, however neat the idea was in theory, definitely isn't practical at all.
  • Why drop Conclave? It's a great and unique concept. I might totally work at $6. It doesn't fit Enterprise thematically, though, so maybe it doesn't belong here any more. But...
  • I think it's time you made a thread to showcase your cards that you don't want in your set but are otherwise fine (Mill Town, Barrister, Refurbish etc. come to mind). You don't need to work on those any more but at least keep them available to the community for review, just as a nice gesture.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: December 01, 2015, 01:40:07 pm »
+2

• I am dropping Mill Town from the set (at least for now). The set has too many $3 cards and more than enough villages (Jubilee, Terrace, General). Jubilee and Terrace are on-theme, but Mill Town is not.
• I am dropping Refurbish; again I have too many $3 cards. I guess I could try a $5 version.
• Craftsman is being replaced with Trade Goods; I've talked about that elsewhere.
• I am dropping Barrister/Domain (and probably not pursuing Pickpocket/Lucky Coin). Seemed like a cool idea, but I think it's time to let it die.
• I am dropping Conclave. I've been in denial for a while, but it's just too strong too often. I guess I could try it at $6. Hard to say if it's attractive at that price.

I just want to say I applaud your willingness to drop ideas even when they are decent ones that you've worked on. It challenges you and demonstrates faith in yourself that you will find something even better. I know I personally have a hard time letting ideas die when I've already put a fair amount of work into them. I often feel like that means I was wasting my time, even though I know intellectually that's not the case. So I just wanted to applaud you for not falling into that trap. It's one of the many reasons that I think you are one of the best fan card creators, and we can benefit from your example even in non-dominion related contexts.

Also: YAY! Moar discussions about Enterprise!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: December 01, 2015, 05:38:32 pm »
+3

I just want to say I applaud your willingness to drop ideas even when they are decent ones that you've worked on. It challenges you and demonstrates faith in yourself that you will find something even better. I know I personally have a hard time letting ideas die when I've already put a fair amount of work into them. I often feel like that means I was wasting my time, even though I know intellectually that's not the case. So I just wanted to applaud you for not falling into that trap. It's one of the many reasons that I think you are one of the best fan card creators, and we can benefit from your example even in non-dominion related contexts.

Also: YAY! Moar discussions about Enterprise!

Personally, i partly recognize this as the reason why i don't want to organize my cards as a set. I'm not talking about removing cards that are just not good enough, but about cards that are good and still get removed because they don't fit the theme, or because there are too many at that price point allready. It's just an additional condition that i don't want to care about, personally. Clerk for example has always been a card i liked a lot.

Glad to see several of the other changes, though.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 05:39:55 pm by Asper »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: December 02, 2015, 02:23:11 pm »
+1

Guys, I just want to say thank you so much for your continued interest in, and help with, Enterprise. I'm really humbled and thankful.

Let's get down to brass tacks!

• Auction is definitely more interesting with the reaction and not too complex in my opinion. The only caveat is that it compares very, very favourably to Secret Chamber. We should test it at $2 but if it seems pretty strong it could easily be raised to $3.

Secret Chamber is super-weak, so I'm not too worried about that comparison as long as Auction isn't strictly better than Secret Chamber. But I agree with your conclusion! I will test it first at $2, but $3 is not off the table.

• Having a card for $0 would be cool but Redistrict seems a touch too strong for $0 (I might overestimate it though). But having it cost $1 would conversely make it even stronger. I dont't know, it seems weird now but I guess we can try it (I say "we" because you can consider me a fix playtester for your set, as long as I find co-testers).

Thanks again!

When you say that it seems too strong for $0, I take that to mean it seems too strong when you can pick it up for free with an extra Buy. I'm hoping that's not the case. It seems unlikely that you want to load up on them, especially because at the $0 price point, Redistricting a Redistrict is awful. If it were a cantrip I wouldn't even consider costing it at $0, but I'm hoping that a terminal often-one-shot Remodel will be OK there.

• I'm in favour of making Conscripts a Treasure-Attack because I like the typing and making a card that gives +actions and +$ a Treasure is more elegant (as you can drop the action). Also, it would nerf Profiteer a little which I feels justified.

Well, the Treasure version as written is in some ways weaker than Conscripts because returning it to the pile is mandatory when you have another Attack in play (although obviously I could change that). So I'm not sure it would really weaken Profiteer. I guess it would against terminal-draw-BM decks. One reason I'm leaning away from the Treasure–Attack now is that I don't want it to be too similar to Spoils, but maybe that's a silly thing to worry about.

• I mentioned somewhere that Barter was sometimes ridiculously strong so it's appropriate you drop it if you don't want to change it.

On a related note, the set really wants more terminal $5 cards. So replacing Barter with a terminal card would be helping with that as well.

• Why drop Clerk? It's such a simple and elegant little card? What harm does it do? And with Redistrict possibly becoming $0-card, you'd want to keep other $2-cards in your set.

If I drop Clerk and change Redistrict to $0, I will still have three $2 cards in the set: Auction, Jubilee, and Wanderer. Now Wanderer may be a total dud or want to cost more, but even then, a $0 card fills mostly the same role as a $2 card. You can buy them both with a $2 hand.

• I'd be a little sad if you'd drop the concept of Domains completely but that's your decision, man. Pickpocket and Lucky Coin, however neat the idea was in theory, definitely isn't practical at all.

The biggest issue I had with Barrister/Domain is that you're so much less likely to hit Domains as the game moves on and decks get bigger. I'm not sure how to solve that. Also some people hated how much of a VP swing there could be when stealing a Domain. I am thinking about doing some other Copper-replacement stuff, but probably it will be different, and maybe not in Enterprise.

• Why drop Conclave? It's a great and unique concept. I might totally work at $6. It doesn't fit Enterprise thematically, though, so maybe it doesn't belong here any more. But...

I think I'm going to try LibraryAdventurer's suggestion of putting the other cards back on top. If that doesn't work, I may try it at $6.

• I think it's time you made a thread to showcase your cards that you don't want in your set but are otherwise fine (Mill Town, Barrister, Refurbish etc. come to mind). You don't need to work on those any more but at least keep them available to the community for review, just as a nice gesture.

Good idea. I will try to do that today.

Thanks a lot! I do attribute a lot of my success, such as it is, to being willing to drop ideas that aren't working out. I'm glad you feel the same way.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: December 02, 2015, 03:45:33 pm »
+1

Secret Chamber is super-weak, so I'm not too worried about that comparison as long as Auction isn't strictly better than Secret Chamber. But I agree with your conclusion! I will test it first at $2, but $3 is not off the table.

Isn't Secret Chamber mostly only used when you're planning to re-draw the stuff you discard?  That's a clear advantage that it has over Auction, so the presence of Auction on the board probably wouldn't make you less likely to pick up a Secret Chamber anyway.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: December 02, 2015, 07:41:54 pm »
+2

Isn't Secret Chamber mostly only used when you're planning to re-draw the stuff you discard?  That's a clear advantage that it has over Auction, so the presence of Auction on the board probably wouldn't make you less likely to pick up a Secret Chamber anyway.

Well, on most boards there's hardly even a chance for you to be less likely to pick up Secret Chamber as you usually don't pick it up at all to begin with.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: December 02, 2015, 07:55:53 pm »
+1

Well, on most boards there's hardly even a chance for you to be less likely to pick up Secret Chamber as you usually don't pick it up at all to begin with.

Yeah, but that is kind of my point.  You only pick up Secret Chamber whenever it would be better than Auction, regardless of whether Auction is there.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: December 03, 2015, 05:13:16 am »
+1

Conclave is unfortunate. Such a good idea, but it must be non terminal, and it has to cost $5 because $6 cards tend to have a bit more wow factor to them. Penalties don't seem appropriate.

What might work

Conclave - $5
+1 Action
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck
Put one Action card and one Treasure card in your hand, discard the remaining Actions and Treasures, and put the other cards back.

It just looks a bit clunky.

I like how Redistricting costs nothing  :P

I miss Refurbish, but I had an idea related to it.
Hsibrufer - $5
Gain a Silver, putting it in your hand
---
While this is in play, when you play a Silver, you may trash a card from your hand.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 07:07:19 am by NoMoreFun »

convolucid

• Baron
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: December 04, 2015, 08:10:42 pm »
+1

Here are a lot of random little thoughts (man, it's hard to jump in to a thread of this size after the fact):

• The corresponding name for Martyr could be whatever the Conscripts were before being trashed. So something like Annexed Village (based on what that card does)
  • What's the condition for the Treasure-Conscripts? "If you have another Sword in play, return this [...]"?
  • Also for naming, Bookkeeper does not sound like an attack. I have a similar card called Inspector, maybe that name fits here.
  • I agree that Barter is a prime target for replacement. It has a whole lot of words, but it doesn't seem any more compelling than its closest relatives.
  • Has Committee gotten tested yet? I really like it!
  • I agree with the general consensus about Conclave, don't give up on it yet! The simple version with putting the unmatched cards back sounds like the best nerf, especially because it will occasionally feel better for the player despite being worse- say you reveal Gold and Silver. If it needs more nerfs, would it destroy the soul of the card if it couldn't pick up Victory cards?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: December 05, 2015, 12:09:09 am »
+1

Good news, everyone! I finally got myself a copy of the font that's used for the titles and types on the published cards and have updated my template. I re-uploaded the images above and made a few changes while I was at it. Redistrict now costs $0 as threatened and Raider has been renamed Racketeer.

• The corresponding name for Martyr could be whatever the Conscripts were before being trashed. So something like Annexed Village (based on what that card does)

Nice idea!

• What's the condition for the Treasure-Conscripts? "If you have another Sword in play, return this [...]"?

"If you have another Attack in play, return this…"

• Also for naming, Bookkeeper does not sound like an attack. I have a similar card called Inspector, maybe that name fits here.

Hmm, could be. In actuality I'm probably replacing the card outright. I like "Inspector", but "Bookkeeper" sounds fine to me, too. A bookkeeper is someone who keeps books of financial accounts, not a librarian. It's basically like a "Bureaucrat" or "Taxman".

• I agree that Barter is a prime target for replacement. It has a whole lot of words, but it doesn't seem any more compelling than its closest relatives.

Well the compelling thing about it used to be: it puts a gained card in your hand right when you need it. Now Transmogrify also does that (albeit only at the start of your turn). Barter is probably different enough from Transmogrify, but its incredible wordiness puts it over the edge for me. I'd rather have a newer-seeming remodel with fewer words. And I do with Tinker. And the set has Redistrict, too. I guess probably I don't need to replace Barter with another remodel.

• Has Committee gotten tested yet? I really like it!

Depends on which version you're talking about! The Committee I plan to test is this one, though I'm not so very excited about it.

But which Committee are you referring to? This one, or the similar one that uses Trade tokens, or the old one that digs for two different cards?

• I agree with the general consensus about Conclave, don't give up on it yet! The simple version with putting the unmatched cards back sounds like the best nerf, especially because it will occasionally feel better for the player despite being worse- say you reveal Gold and Silver. If it needs more nerfs, would it destroy the soul of the card if it couldn't pick up Victory cards?

OK, I will try a put-them-back version. Worth a shot to save a card this popular!
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 48  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.