Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 48  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Enterprise  (Read 412279 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Enterprise (Beta)
« Reply #925 on: June 12, 2015, 01:36:23 am »

I have played a couple games with Auction and it seems just fine as-is (without the reaction). I agree with CookieLord that the reaction would make it want to cost $3.  It's okay for it to not be that good some games because I think there will be more games when it'll be useful.
BTW, We've played a couple games with Trade Goods too and liked it.

Wow, thanks! Glad to get some feedback on Trade Goods and even gladder that you liked it.

This new version of Auction is very theoretical at this point. It may very well be that I stick with the current version instead. And if I do go with this new version, it could easily cost $3.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: June 20, 2015, 07:34:26 am »
+5

I recently played quite a few games containing Enterprise cards (also some of Asper's, cookielord's, and mine) and finally got around to posting my feelings with them.

Auction - often useful in engines as a one-of, I think it's perfectly fine as a 2-cost, though all 10 copies are never needed. Its +Buy is necessary to make it more generally useful, and I often used it as a simple +1 Action, +1 Buy.

Tinker - strong trashing is nice, making the trade token bonus feel like a one-time cool bonus rather than the point of the card. It seems mainly useful for combining 2 estates, which is too bad, but I'm sure in a trashed-deck it would work even better.

Terrace - you want to get lots of villages, which plays well with the trade token mechanic, but it's hard to know when to use: its optimal situation hardly ever comes up.

General - Scheme + Throne Room, which is kind of boring, but both component cards are always fun, so it's not that bad.

Harbor - This one is really fun. It took me some time to figure out that you want to always draw copper, but it's really flexible in a trashed-down deck.

Hoping these short comments are still useful.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 07:35:47 am by XerxesPraelor »

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: June 20, 2015, 08:50:45 am »
+5

Asper and I recently played with some more Enterprise cards and I'm going to give a short review on them;

Tinker is a useful and fun card and I managed to find situations where its Trade token mechanic was very beneficial. I'd say it's balanced.

Barracks is quite strong as an attack and has the potential to be as unpopular as Familiar due to it being non-terminal. Its delayed first attack feels similar to the delayed gaining of your first Familiar. I'm not opposed to it but in many games you won't be able to afford to skip it and to many players this might feel un-fun.

Barter, as a non-terminal Remodel, seems almost ridiculously strong. In a good engine, it gives you huge endgame control. It often feels better than Upgrade. That alone might justify a cost of $6, even without the TT mechanic, which is very nice for building. But maybe "+1 Action" should be the TT mechanic instead? Alternatively, you could significantly nerf its endgame power by having the gained card cost exactly $2 more than the trashed card. This way, you cannot barter a Barter into Gold and then into a Province.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: July 03, 2015, 04:02:21 pm »
+3

Another multi-fan-expansion game Co0kieL0rd and i had recently featured Redistrict and Conquest. I think the other cards were Sunken City, Decree, Explorer, Hireling, Grand Market and Co0kieL0rd's Provisioner and Builder - the last of which, ironically, provided the cost reduction which enabled one of my Conquests to steal his Province (sorry again for that evil laugh).

Either way, i'd like to state that Conquest, which should improve in multiplayer games, was allready decent in this one (or at leat for me, CL's always seemed to hit my Silvers). Part of this might have been because Sunken City and Redistrict were decent $2s, while there was only one card between $3 and $4, and because there were really nice targets above that to hit. Either way, much fun was had (though it was a more satisfying experience for me, i guess) and Conquest was relatively fun for the kind of attack it is, though maybe a bit swingy.

About Redistrict, it killed the only Explorer ever gained before it got played, and it seemed very helpful that you could trash it when you didn't need it anymore - especially after Sunken City played them automatically. All in all, it seemed nice and small, perfectly priced at $2.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: July 03, 2015, 04:21:34 pm »

Another multi-fan-expansion game Co0kieL0rd and i had recently featured Redistrict and Conquest. I think the other cards were Sunken City, Decree, Explorer, Hireling, Grand Market and Co0kieL0rd's Provisioner and Builder - the last of which, ironically, provided the cost reduction which enabled one of my Conquests to steal his Province (sorry again for that evil laugh).

Either way, i'd like to state that Conquest, which should improve in multiplayer games, was allready decent in this one (or at leat for me, CL's always seemed to hit my Silvers). Part of this might have been because Sunken City and Redistrict were decent $2s, while there was only one card between $3 and $4, and because there were really nice targets above that to hit. Either way, much fun was had (though it was a more satisfying experience for me, i guess) and Conquest was relatively fun for the kind of attack it is, though maybe a bit swingy.

About Redistrict, it killed the only Explorer ever gained before it got played, and it seemed very helpful that you could trash it when you didn't need it anymore - especially after Sunken City played them automatically. All in all, it seemed nice and small, perfectly priced at $2.

Nice, thanks!

Redistrict has always seemed like good times so far. Glad to see it used on non-Estate cards.

I was honestly planning on replacing Conquest with Raider. It's cool to know that it worked OK, though. Maybe I'll test it a bit more before giving up on it.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: July 03, 2015, 04:27:48 pm »
+1

Nice, thanks!

Redistrict has always seemed like good times so far. Glad to see it used on non-Estate cards.

I was honestly planning on replacing Conquest with Raider. It's cool to know that it worked OK, though. Maybe I'll test it a bit more before giving up on it.

I'm not sure how Co0kieL0rd feels about it. With Sunken City and Conquest, the game had a good portion of luck, and i feel he was very much at the receiving end. Like, cleaning out my Silvers with Conquest and revealing them with his Sunken Cities, while i stole a Province and Hireling from him. It CAN be a very frustrating card. Maybe i'm seeing this to much through the eyes of the dude who got lucky.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: July 04, 2015, 01:12:33 pm »
+1

I would like to add that I think Conquest is basically a good card whose main purpose is to steal actions (or treasures) and play them successively. Stealing victory cards is not only frustrating but also extremely swingy. In that specific game Asper talked about it made a 12 point difference! If you were to keep Conquest at all, it should not be allowed to gain victory cards! Trash maybe, but not gain. OTOH, I think Raider is a much better idea, now that I've seen it.

Redistrict is awesome!
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns

horatio83

• Baron
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: July 07, 2015, 05:58:25 am »

About the bad: Clerk is mispriced, Refurbish is too strong, all the Trade token cards only work well when you play incestously with a lot of them (instead of like most people play, by randomizing cards over all sets), Conclave is only not worse than Lab if there are hybrid cards, Conquest is weak.

About the good: Gambler is a great card, General is a nice TR variant, Harbor is great and Trade Goods is the only decent card with the Trade token idea (as it does not realy on interaction with other Trade token cards).

Huge quality variety; the bad ones really suck but the good ones really shine. I am gonna print Gambler, Harbor and Trade Goods.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: July 07, 2015, 09:06:51 am »
+2

About the bad: Clerk is mispriced, Refurbish is too strong, all the Trade token cards only work well when you play incestously with a lot of them (instead of like most people play, by randomizing cards over all sets), Conclave is only not worse than Lab if there are hybrid cards, Conquest is weak.

About the good: Gambler is a great card, General is a nice TR variant, Harbor is great and Trade Goods is the only decent card with the Trade token idea (as it does not realy on interaction with other Trade token cards).

Huge quality variety; the bad ones really suck but the good ones really shine. I am gonna print Gambler, Harbor and Trade Goods.

Looks like somebody is a little pissed off.

Just saying "this card is bad" is no helpful feedback and does not make your point comprehensible. LFN had this coming, though.

Clerk and Redistrict are fine for $2. They aren't that good. I haven't found that a single Trade token card doesn't work well enough if it's the only TT card in the kingdom. From my experience, Conclave is slightly better than Lab about half of the time you play it (I count sifting 3 and drawing 2 as slightly better). It's only worse in decks without Treasures. What experience are your statements based on?
Check out my fan cards!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: July 07, 2015, 10:47:50 pm »
+5

Cards that I have not yet tested, but hope to test someday soon. Not all necessarily for Enterprise

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: July 07, 2015, 11:07:24 pm »
+2

I like Borough. It's very similar to another fan card I've played with a couple times (don't remember where it's from or who it's by), but Borough is more interesting.

I still prefer Domain as a VP card...  The think I don't like about this version of Doman/Lucky Coin is that has no special value for the player who started with the card in their deck.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: July 07, 2015, 11:39:02 pm »
+3

Interesting rework of Domain. I like that Pickpocket gains directly from the trash, for the interaction with Trash-for-Benefit. Borough is nice and simple. I think Wanderer has to be playtested to know if it actually works (and/or people actually buy it). Monopoly (ack!) works more cleanly as an event than as an action card, now that you mention it.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: July 08, 2015, 12:05:10 am »
+2

Monopoly (ack!) works more cleanly as an event than as an action card, now that you mention it.

So—funny story—the art I decided to use didn't fit very well on a normal card. I realized it would fit better on a landscape card.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: July 08, 2015, 04:53:14 am »
+1

Borrough looks nice.

I see you decided to let Wanderer go to the player on your left. Personally, i'm glad you did, though it doesn't change my general concerns with the card.

Pickpocket is a Moat that can gain a single Gold over the course of the game in 2P games. It also gains a Copper, clears out an opponent's deck by a tiny bit and harms his hand for a single turn. I'm really not sure this is worth it, but it might be fine.

About Monopoly, my immediate reaction was the same as pacovf's ("I hate Monopoly!!"). Your card with the same name seems interesting, but i thought i remembered Donald saying something about the terrors of an on-gain discard attack and how unenjoyable they made some Hinterlands games. I also feel it's a bit more political than Taxman is, because Taxman has a much more limited array of options (limited by your hand, limited by what amount of coins you want to reach this turn, limited by the number of Treasures in the game). Obviously you wouldn't gain a card you don't want for this, but if you pick up several parts, i think the order matters. Probably it's fine, though.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: July 08, 2015, 10:00:38 am »
+1

I like Pickpocket's basic concept (I also like Barrister) but it will have the same issue as one of the early versions of Barrister in that it will often whiff in 2-player games. Now that might not be a problem because if it hits its both good for you (although you basically gain a Copper in addition to your Gold) and a Cutpurse-ish attack (which means it gets even worse in mid- and late-game. Because Pickpocket is so unreliable and Lucky Coin is a burden, I assume it is often best to trash your Lucky Coin and get stronger draw cards and more reliable attacks or cards that are better for your economy. That's why I like Domains better - you will often want to keep those. Maybe there's room on your set for both Domains and Lucky Coin.
Check out my fan cards!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: July 08, 2015, 05:52:55 pm »

I like Borough. It's very similar to another fan card I've played with a couple times (don't remember where it's from or who it's by), but Borough is more interesting.

I'm a bit worried it's too strong for $4, but if it is I could cost it at $5 and possibly give it another small bonus.

I like that Pickpocket gains directly from the trash, for the interaction with Trash-for-Benefit.

Well Barrister also gained directly from the trash for this same interaction. Really the point is that players shouldn't be able to foil Barrister/Pickpocket by trashing their Domains/Lucky Coins. The Trash-for-Benefit interaction is a nice side bonus and also the reason Domain/Lucky Coin cost $3 instead of $0.

Pickpocket is a Moat that can gain a single Gold over the course of the game in 2P games. It also gains a Copper, clears out an opponent's deck by a tiny bit and harms his hand for a single turn. I'm really not sure this is worth it, but it might be fine.

Pickpocket's bonus is +2 Cards rather than +$2 mostly to distinguish it from Cutpurse. You're right that it's pretty unattractive in the cases where it only works once (although in lots of Kingdoms you can trash your own Lucky Coins and then gain them back with Pickpocket). I could just use +$2 (which is at least better than +2 Cards) or I could try for a different bonus. It wants to be short, whatever it is; either vanilla or one line of text. +3 Actions seems interesting, but then you're just getting it for the Actions and the attack is incidental. It could be something like "Gain 2 Silvers" since if you're buying Pickpocket, you ostensibly want Treasures in your deck.

I still prefer Domain as a VP card...  The think I don't like about this version of Doman/Lucky Coin is that has no special value for the player who started with the card in their deck.

I like Pickpocket's basic concept (I also like Barrister) but it will have the same issue as one of the early versions of Barrister in that it will often whiff in 2-player games. Now that might not be a problem because if it hits its both good for you (although you basically gain a Copper in addition to your Gold) and a Cutpurse-ish attack (which means it gets even worse in mid- and late-game. Because Pickpocket is so unreliable and Lucky Coin is a burden, I assume it is often best to trash your Lucky Coin and get stronger draw cards and more reliable attacks or cards that are better for your economy. That's why I like Domains better - you will often want to keep those. Maybe there's room on your set for both Domains and Lucky Coin.

I see what you're saying, but on most boards there's no good way to protect your Domains anyway. You can bloat your deck, and sometimes you can Herbalist it or what have you. But mostly it's luck. And it's no fun to steal Domains early on, carry them (basically Coppers) in your deck all game, and then lose them right before the game ends. I feel like Lucky Coin will mostly function the same (you want to steal them, just like you want to steal Domains), but will be less swingy and also be less annoying to players who hate having their VP stolen.

I doubt I'll have both Domains and Lucky Coins, though it's possible that I will go back to Domains.

I see you decided to let Wanderer go to the player on your left. Personally, i'm glad you did, though it doesn't change my general concerns with the card.

Yeah, I realized that in a 2-player game Wanderers that you play can get back to you pretty fast. I decided I didn't want it to play that differently with more players. It's still usually going to get back to you more slowly with more players, but not as slowly as it would if you passed it to the right.

I hope the concept works out; I think it's a neat idea. If it's not enticing enough, there are things I could change.
• It could cost less.
• It could have a stronger on-buy ability.
• It could have a stronger on-play ability (e.g. +5 Cards). This may seem like a wash, but being able to play the card first is a real bonus, and the stronger the on-play ability is, the stronger the ability to play it first is.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: July 08, 2015, 06:14:37 pm »
+1

I really, really like Borough and I want to test it soon. I could imagine it's too strong for $4 but we'll see.

I also like Monopoly, and there's not much more to say about it. I just think it's a cute idea.

I don't know about Wanderer... I feel like you should put your deck into your discard pile on-gain rather than on-buy because that actually makes a Wanderer you played come back to you faster. On top of that I would give it another bonus that is only on-buy but you wouldn't do that because that's too complicated.
Check out my fan cards!

Ghacob

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gender
  • J. They/them
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: July 09, 2015, 12:22:16 am »
+1

A few ideas I've had on borough:

add: If this isn't the first time you've played Borough this turn
or
make it one per Borough beyond the first
or
make it one per Borough beyond the first, put your chosen card on top of your deck, +1 Card
or
If this isn't the first time you've played borrow, put your chosen card on top of deck, +1 card regardless

Which is really just 3 ideas mashed together to make 4 combinations
Gender happened.

horatio83

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: July 15, 2015, 02:59:22 am »
+1

About the new cards, I like Monopoly as it it simple and interactive (in terms of keeping an eye on what the other players do). It is not an Event that will be often used in the presence of decent 5$ cards ... but once in a while you might want to go for a pseudo-overpay handsize attack.

Looks like somebody is a little pissed off.

Just saying "this card is bad" is no helpful feedback and does not make your point comprehensible. LFN had this coming, though.

Clerk and Redistrict are fine for $2. They aren't that good. I haven't found that a single Trade token card doesn't work well enough if it's the only TT card in the kingdom. From my experience, Conclave is slightly better than Lab about half of the time you play it (I count sifting 3 and drawing 2 as slightly better). It's only worse in decks without Treasures. What experience are your statements based on?
Pissed off? I have printed three cards from this expansion. ^^

There is nothing per se wrong with the Trade token mechanism. It is a fantastic idea if you play with a lot of cards with this set and a bad idea if you randomized over the base game, 9 expansions and some fan card(s) (expansions).
About specific cards, Vendor is Peddler with a one-shot ability to get one extra card and Terrace is a Village with another one-shot ability. Contrary to your claim neither one-shot is worth the price increase of 1.
As I said in my post, this is no issue as long as you play with a lot of cards from this expansion.

About Clerk, it is a slightly weaker Peddler. First, you cannot throne it, second, it is ineffectual with trashing, third, it does nothing during your first move after shuffling. It has some mild advantages over Peddler: like Apothecary it mitigates copper spamming, i.e. it synchs with Goons and it is a decent defense against cards like Noble Brigand or Mountebank. Like for Oasis a price of 3 would be appropriate (of course 2 vs. 3 is not a big issue).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 03:05:50 am by horatio83 »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: July 15, 2015, 03:49:02 am »
+2

About Clerk, it is a slightly weaker Peddler. First, you cannot throne it, second, it is ineffectual with trashing, third, it does nothing during your first move after shuffling. It has some mild advantages over Peddler: like Apothecary it mitigates copper spamming, i.e. it synchs with Goons and it is a decent defense against cards like Noble Brigand or Mountebank. Like for Oasis a price of 3 would be appropriate (of course 2 vs. 3 is not a big issue).

If you have Coppers in your discard pile, you can absolutely Throne Clerk. It's quite often you have none there, though. Everyone who played Counting House can tell you. I think the fact that it often doesn nothing (and i mean really often) makes it okay for $2. They also don't stack that well, meaning that once your last Copper is pulled from the discard pile, others fail. And as trashing is usually a key to winning, the disadvantage over Peddler is pretty relevant.

About Oasis, obviously it can be worse than Clerk in some situations. But the situations where Clerk is worse are more relevant. Those include games with junking, Alt-VP boards or basically any greening phase. And well, if we allready talk about specific card interactions like Mountebank or Noble Brigand, we should not forget about Scrying Pool games where you discard the cards you draw again later, or Tunnels.

I do admit the power levels of Clerk and Oasis are not too far apart, but as Oasis is a relatively weak card, Clerk isn't strictly better than any existing $2 and also a tad weaker than Oasis, i see no reason to not cost it at $2. Especially as they get worse in multiples.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: July 15, 2015, 04:58:06 pm »
+4

There is nothing per se wrong with the Trade token mechanism. It is a fantastic idea if you play with a lot of cards with this set and a bad idea if you randomized over the base game, 9 expansions and some fan card(s) (expansions).
About specific cards, Vendor is Peddler with a one-shot ability to get one extra card and Terrace is a Village with another one-shot ability. Contrary to your claim neither one-shot is worth the price increase of 1.
As I said in my post, this is no issue as long as you play with a lot of cards from this expansion.

Of course I have to point out that you really have no idea whether those one-shot abilities are worth the extra $1 since you've never played with the cards. If your point is that they don't look like they're worth $1 more, that's a reasonable claim and something I keep in mind.

Terrace works fine; often you just want a village and are willing to pay $4 for it. Obviously it has to cost more than Village since it's strictly better. I have no interest in giving it a more powerful ability, since it's working great as-is.

Vendor might not work out; it's too soon to tell. Certainly others have lamented that you can only use the Trade token ability "once". Power-wise, I think it's a good $5; the one-shot ability can be incredibly strong. But if players don't buy it enough, that in itself is a problem.

My goal is to balance each Trade token card for games with no other Trade token cards. They can get stronger when together, but not crazy, game-breaking strong. So far each of the Trade token cards has been just fine when it's the only such card in the Kingdom.

horatio83

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: July 21, 2015, 07:16:10 am »

Of course I have to point out that you really have no idea whether those one-shot abilities are worth the extra $1 since you've never played with the cards. If your point is that they don't look like they're worth $1 more, that's a reasonable claim and something I keep in mind.
Never claimed to make an empirical claims. Most people here make claims without having actually played a respective fan card. One does not need to have played Vendor to understand that 5 is a bit too costly for a Peddler which can once draw a card from the discard pile or that 4 for a village which can once discard your hand and draw up to 5 is also a bit steep.

As have I said, I have nothing against the trade token mechanism. It all depends on how you use these card, i.e. it is a fantastic idea if you play with a lot of the card from this set but otherwise it doesn't work well except for Trade Goods which is cumulative and a brilliant card.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: July 21, 2015, 01:51:10 pm »

Never claimed to make an empirical claims. Most people here make claims without having actually played a respective fan card. One does not need to have played Vendor to understand that 5 is a bit too costly for a Peddler which can once draw a card from the discard pile or that 4 for a village which can once discard your hand and draw up to 5 is also a bit steep.

It's fine to state your untested opinions about whether or not you think the cards seem strong enough for their cost. Some players have tested Terrace though, and I don't recall any complaints about it being too weak. Certainly I don't want to give out two Trade tokens with it.

As have I said, I have nothing against the trade token mechanism. It all depends on how you use these card, i.e. it is a fantastic idea if you play with a lot of the card from this set but otherwise it doesn't work well except for Trade Goods which is cumulative and a brilliant card.

What you mean is that you don't think it would work well. It seems to be working fine; not sure what else to tell you.

horatio83

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: July 21, 2015, 01:59:54 pm »

It's fine to state your untested opinions about whether or not you think the cards seem strong enough for their cost. Some players have tested Terrace though, and I don't recall any complaints about it being too weak. Certainly I don't want to give out two Trade tokens with it.

What you mean is that you don't think it would work well. It seems to be working fine; not sure what else to tell you.
For the zillinoth time, like 99% of all the posts in here mine is theoretical. And of course I never express anything but my own thoughts. And I certainly will not rape the English language via playing these postmodern relativization games, i.e. actually speaking out caveats and natural conditions that underlie one's statement which are obvious to anybody.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: July 22, 2015, 05:02:38 pm »
+3

, sIf you tested it, you could say it doesn't work well. If you didn't, you use the subjunctive. The choice of mood here makes a concrete distinction that is best made that way, and asking people to use correct grammar isn't a postmodern relativization game.

You can say it looks weak, or you can bet that it is weak, but if you say you can ascertain its strength without testing and are subsequently proven wrong, you should lower your confidence in future claims of the same nature.

For what it's worth, I think Terrace is somewhat weak, but that's as a result of testing (admittedly only a few times). I agree they both look weak, but LF is already cognizant of the issue and thinks they're interesting enough to keep, and I agree.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 05:33:27 pm by XerxesPraelor »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 48  All

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.