Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 48  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Enterprise  (Read 412388 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Enterprise (Beta)
« Reply #800 on: February 27, 2015, 01:52:34 pm »
+2

If your opponent has a dead terminal, Bookkeeper whiffs, but it's no worse than Cutpurse without Coppers, or Militia with two dead cards. A hand of two terminals, two Silvers, and a Victory card laughs at all three.

Which is why Bureaucrat is the best card in Dominion.

A hand of 5 Golds (with no Colonies in the game) laughs at Cutpurse, Militia, Bookkeeper, AND Bureaucrat. And laughs extra-hard at Ghost Ship. And just so that you can laugh at Minion as well; your next 4 cards are Gold also.

"Ha ha, Minion! Your attack didn't ruin this turn! It just ruined the turn after that, which is totally not a bad thing under any circumstances!"

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: February 27, 2015, 02:15:25 pm »
+1

If your opponent has a dead terminal, Bookkeeper whiffs, but it's no worse than Cutpurse without Coppers, or Militia with two dead cards. A hand of two terminals, two Silvers, and a Victory card laughs at all three.

A hand of 5 Golds (with no Colonies in the game) laughs at Cutpurse, Militia, Bookkeeper, AND Bureaucrat. And laughs extra-hard at Ghost Ship. And just so that you can laugh at Minion as well; your next 4 cards are Gold also.

"Ha ha, Minion! Your attack didn't ruin this turn! It just ruined the turn after that, which is totally not a bad thing under any circumstances!"

If your deck has 9 Golds in a row, the game should end before you have a next turn.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 02:21:14 pm by LastFootnote »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: February 27, 2015, 02:38:17 pm »
+1

If your deck has 9 Golds in a row, the game should end before you have a next turn.

Knowing that people would aim to edge-case me, i purposefully added "under any circumstance" as a way to show that i was aware of possible exceptions.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: February 27, 2015, 02:51:39 pm »
+2

Knowing that people would aim to edge-case me, i purposefully added "under any circumstance" as a way to show that i was aware of possible exceptions.

Ha, I wasn't trying to edge case you. I just thought the situation was humorous. ;D

Unfortunately I wasn't able to print Conquest and the new Bookkeeper before today's games. We played two 4-player Enterprise/Prosperity games (with Colonies). I gave a few cards that I plan to alter one last chance. I'll post the sets here for context.

Game 1:
$3: Convoy, Tinker (cost $3)
$4: Quarry, Talisman, Worker's Village
$5: Barter, Harbor, Vendor
$7: Bank, Expand

Game 2:
$2: Auction
$3: Floodgate, Watchtower
$4: Craftsman
$5: Counting House, Investment (Magic Mirror), Rabble, Wheelwright
$6: Grand Market
$7: Forge

• Auction really paid off and almost everybody bought one. Wheelwright/Auction gives you a really good chance to get a Grand Market.
• This version of Convoy had its last hurrah today. Only I bought them, and I did tie in that game against Ben's Harbors. I was making crazy amounts of money with 2 Banks because I didn't trash my Copper and was drawing most of my deck on a lot of turns. It's so, so fiddly. And it's super unpopular. The new version will cost $4 and be simpler.
• Floodgate didn't get used much, partly due to Auction. It got bought 2 or 3 times, though, so it played a part.
• Tinker seemed good. I didn't get one personally because, again, I wanted my Coppers and used Barter on my Estates.
• A lot of us opened with Craftsman in the second game and then it was basically a cantrip. There weren't enough +Actions to play it for the gain. Whoops. Still a solid card, but this was not the board for it.
• Barter is still seeming OK.
• Harbor is solid.
• Investment/Magic Mirror actually paid of for me today by gaining Grand Markets (but I still lost badly). Somebody else actually bought it, too. Still, I'm going to change or scrap it. It has not been a crowd-pleaser.
• Vendor was actually bought by another player, too. It so often has no discard pile to draw from, which is sad. This is still the version without the +1 Card up top. Still not popular, this version.
• Wheelwright was popular. I took the Copper almost every time someone played it in order to fuel my Investments, Auction, and Counting House. I lost, but it was fun to see that synergy.

I will probably try a version of Investment that costs $6, is worth $1, and just gains a copy of an Action you have in play, no questions asked.

I may try swapping Terrace and Vendor's token abilities. Or their vanilla bonuses, however you want to look at it.

Terrace
Types: Action
Cost: $4
+2 Actions. Look through your discard pile. You may pay a Trade token to put a card from it into your hand. Otherwise, +1 Card.

When you gain this, take a Trade token.

Vendor
Cost: $5
+1 Card. +1 Action. +$1. You may pay a Trade token to discard your hand and draw 5 cards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: February 27, 2015, 03:47:05 pm »
+1

Axeman!

Actually, Taxman too tbh.

Taxman doesn't hurt you; since 4 Golds is just as good as 5 Golds. And Axeman probably doesn't hurt you, because if you have 9 Golds in your deck, you'll probably be happy to replace one of them with a Duchy.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: February 27, 2015, 05:54:00 pm »

Taxman doesn't hurt you; since 4 Golds is just as good as 5 Golds.

Edge case: You are going for a massive overpay.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: February 27, 2015, 05:58:27 pm »

Which do you guys think is the better $4 Convoy: [+4 Cards; Discard 2 cards] or [+3 Cards; Discard a card]?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: February 27, 2015, 06:16:47 pm »

Buy doctor with 5 golds.
[Success Kid]
Trash 4 golds on top of deck so that you can trash the 3 estates and 5 coppers below.

Which do you guys think is the better $4 Convoy: [+4 Cards; Discard 2 cards] or [+3 Cards; Discard a card]?

It would have to be the latter. Otherwise it's way too good when compared to smithy, what with the extra trade token and sifting and everything.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 06:18:47 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: February 27, 2015, 06:18:30 pm »
+4

Buy doctor with 5 golds.
[Success Kid]
Trash 4 golds on top of deck so that you can trash the coppers 3 estates and 5 coppers below.

Couldn't you just, like, discard those Golds?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: February 27, 2015, 06:21:53 pm »

Buy doctor with 5 golds.
[Success Kid]
Trash 4 golds on top of deck so that you can trash the coppers 3 estates and 5 coppers below.

Couldn't you just, like, discard those Golds?

...You wanted to activate your market squares? Because you want to empty the supply pile?

...And you kept forgetting that you could reveal more than one to the same trashing?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: February 27, 2015, 07:55:22 pm »
+1

I'd also say the latter for balance reasons. The former has too much range at $4 if you compare with Embassy. You could do it with a small, simple penalty, though.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: February 27, 2015, 08:09:23 pm »
+1

Which do you guys think is the better Convoy: [+4 Cards; Discard 2 cards] or [+3 Cards; Discard a card]?

Convoy
Cost: $3
+2 Cards. Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. Discard one and put the rest back in any order. You may pay a Trade token to play this again.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 08:10:42 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: February 27, 2015, 08:36:20 pm »

Which do you guys think is the better Convoy: [+4 Cards; Discard 2 cards] or [+3 Cards; Discard a card]?

Convoy
Cost: $3
+2 Cards. Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. Discard one and put the rest back in any order. You may pay a Trade token to play this again.

Man, I wish that version had worked out, too. Trust me, it's not working out. A card that you're going to play as often as Convoy should be fast to resolve, and Convoy just isn't.

Also I need more $4 cards.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: March 01, 2015, 12:56:33 am »
+2

Four Enterprise games tonight. Not much new to report. Barter got a lot of action and is seeming pretty good. I am more or less convinced that I need to try the new version of Vendor that gives you the +1 Card plus the card from your discard if you pay the token.

I showed Ben the new Bookkeeper and Conquest (haven't sleeved them yet). He thinks Conquest has to cost $6 because it's too brutal when you open with it. That's possible. Although, I'm not sure that it's too different from Saboteur in that regard. Certainly it's usually better for the player of Conquest, but it's not any worse for the target(s). And of course Knights can be worse, but they're far less likely to hit. Hmm...

You can build an engine with Harbor, and sometimes it's tough to track your Coins. I don't think that's killing the card, though. Lots of official cards have the same issue, e.g. Tribute.

I wonder if giving Wheelwright a different name will help players remember that they can gain a Copper when someone else plays it. "Philanthropist" is an option, I guess. I am still thinking of giving it +1 Buy.

I think I should update the OP again. It's starting to get pretty out of date. I'd like to try these new cards a bit first, though. But my printer is really acting up today, so it's hard to say when that will be.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:49:35 pm by LastFootnote »

market squire

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: March 02, 2015, 04:14:26 am »
+1

What about making Conquest a Knights variant?

Conquest
Each other player reveals 2 cards from his deck. He trashes one of them costing from $3 to $6 and discards the rest. You may gain and play one of the trashed Action cards. If you do, trash this.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: March 02, 2015, 10:43:44 am »

What about making Conquest a Knights variant?

Conquest
Each other player reveals 2 cards from his deck. He trashes one of them costing from $3 to $6 and discards the rest. You may gain and play one of the trashed Action cards. If you do, trash this.

Well, that's a possibility. It seems swingier to me, for better or worse.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: March 02, 2015, 03:25:16 pm »

Thinking of a Feast variant. Probably overlaps too much with Conquest, but it's an option if Conquest doesn't work out.

????
Cost: $6
+1 Action. Trash this and gain a card costing less than it, putting it into your hand.

Maybe not so interesting from a strategic standpoint, but might make for some interesting tactical play.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: March 02, 2015, 03:27:13 pm »
+1

Edge case: Every card in your deck is a Gold.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: March 02, 2015, 03:28:36 pm »
+1

Thinking of a Feast variant. Probably overlaps too much with Conquest, but it's an option if Conquest doesn't work out.

????
+1 Action. Trash this and gain a card costing less than it, putting it into your hand.

Maybe not so interesting from a strategic standpoint, but might make for some interesting tactical play.

Band of Misfits?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: March 02, 2015, 03:31:48 pm »
+2

????

Band of Misfits?

That similarity had not escaped me, but the cards are quite different in a lot of ways. The decision you make with this card is permanent, and the fact that it costs $6 means that you can choose from any of the $5 cards to gain. Also you can Throne it, which may or may not be too crazy.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: March 02, 2015, 03:39:49 pm »
+3

????

I dunno, how often is it that you don't know which $5 you want to buy when you have the chance to buy it? If you were going to spend $6 on a $5, then this is just a strictly better option (then again, so is Border Village); and I doubt that the ability to delay your decision of which $5 to get will mean that you'll be buying this over Gold or Goons when you wouldn't have if you were just buying the $5.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: March 06, 2015, 02:17:25 pm »
+1

Two games today. Or rather, four games, but I was only in two of them. And one of those was Base Set only (not counting the replacement cards I've added to the Base Set). And the one with Enterprise cards got cut short. Damn.

Anyway, the new Convoy ([+3 Cards; discard a card; pay a token to play this again] for $4) and the new Vendor (+1 Card; +1 Action; +$1; pay a token to get an additional card from the discard) were immediately more popular (with the one other guy who played the game with me). I went for a Mill Town/Convoy deck and the new Convoy plays way smoother, which is fantastic, since I was playing Convoy five or six times during my later turns.

The other table played with Conquest. Lighthouse was out, so it wasn't such a hot item, but it got played at least once. It trashed two Tinkers, gaining one (and getting a token). Anyway, they said it seemed weak, but we'll try it some more.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: March 06, 2015, 04:24:37 pm »
+2

How are you able to get this many playtests in? I try to playtest, but since my family is not that interested in Dominion (especially non-canon versions), I have to call in a favor (not really) to get them to play.

I'd happily exchange playtests with you maybe at a 2-1 ratio if that's interesting to you, because somehow new cards by other people are more real than ones I make up.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:32:29 pm by XerxesPraelor »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: March 06, 2015, 04:48:44 pm »
+1

How are you able to get this many playtests in? I try to playtest, but since my family is not that interested in Dominion (especially non-canon versions), I have to call in a favor (not really) to get them to play.

I play Dominion every Friday at work during lunchtime. We order pizza and play Dominion. Usually we get two games in. Sometimes one. Rarely three. My cards are good enough and numerous enough at this point that I can just throw them into the mix without issues (or everybody's too nice to tell me how much they suck). Occasionally I also play outside of work, but that's less common. Most of my IRL playtesting of the Adventures expansion was also during lunch on Friday.

I'd happily exchange playtests with you maybe at a 2-1 ratio if that's interesting to you, because somehow new cards by other people are more real than ones I make up.

I don't think I understand your proposal.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: March 06, 2015, 06:34:40 pm »
+2

I don't think I understand your proposal.

XP has a fan expansion (progress). His close ones don't feel super thrilled to play with it, but would be ok with playing with someone else's fan expansion. Probably because they feel like XP couldn't be objective about the worth of his own fan cards, as opposed to someone else's, so playing with the latter seems like a safer bet.

His proposal is that you play with his cards from time to time, and he will play with yours. I am not sure who is the advantaged side in his 2-1 proposal, but from common experience with negotiation techniques, I expect you to be the favoured one.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 48  All

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 21 queries.