Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 48  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Enterprise  (Read 413507 times)

Thanar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Enterprise (Beta)
« Reply #300 on: March 25, 2014, 11:10:13 pm »
+1

Lastfootnote,

Thanks for making Dominion:Enterprise available and continuing to improve it. I've printed out the PDF files and am in the process of printing/cutting/etc so that my gaming group can play it in its entirety.

To that end, would you be able to post the full-size images for (at least) General, Jubilee, Windfall and Investment so that I can print those out in the same quality as the PDF images? The images of those updated cards you posted here recently are only 348x537, which is noticeably lower quality when printed out compared to the ones in the PDFs.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 26, 2014, 12:02:27 am »

Lastfootnote,

Thanks for making Dominion:Enterprise available and continuing to improve it. I've printed out the PDF files and am in the process of printing/cutting/etc so that my gaming group can play it in its entirety.

To that end, would you be able to post the full-size images for (at least) General, Jubilee, Windfall and Investment so that I can print those out in the same quality as the PDF images? The images of those updated cards you posted here recently are only 348x537, which is noticeably lower quality when printed out compared to the ones in the PDFs.

Ask and you shall receive. I have updated all the images in the OP to link to the full-size versions, including the old version of Investment and the new versions of Jubilee and General. The new version of Investment and Windfall also have full-sized images.

Thanks for your interest in trying the latest version of Enterprise! Cool to see you again. Bear in mind that Loge, Windfall, and the new version of Investment have gotten ZERO testing so far. The new versions of General, Jubilee, and Convocation haven't either, but they're pretty close to the previous versions, so I'm not so worried there. I hope your games go well! Let me know how it went if you get the time. Even negative feedback is useful. But what am I telling you this for? You already posted great feedback for a previous version of the set. You know what's what!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 27, 2014, 05:06:34 pm »

Had another test game last night where once again I was the only one who bought Investment (old version). Sigh. The set was...

Cellar, Redistrict, Village, Dignitary, Smithy, Exchange, Fund, Investment, Laboratory, Witch

I think I like how the Treasure version of Investment would work, but it's just so wordy and cramped and I'm not sure it will be any more compelling. So here's another attempt at making it better: make it a Woodcutter! Yeah, maybe not the best, but the set needs more +Buy. Here it is:

« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 05:12:44 pm by LastFootnote »

clloxin

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 27, 2014, 05:40:15 pm »
+1

This might be a little random, but why did you choose the card fund to not make use of  trade tokens, since that is the idea of this expansion. I know that it wouldn't change too much, but it would be slightly more thematic. Is there any reason you did this? Does it hurt to much for the trade token to be used on something else?
Sorry if the answer is obvious or someone already asked it, but I was just wondering this while playing some of your cards today.
Also, Thanks for the expansion! Best fan expansion I have ever seen. I feel the idea is unique enough to feel like a real expansion. The idea of trade tokens is just genius.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 27, 2014, 06:03:52 pm »
+2

The theme of the expansion is not trade tokens, the theme is one-shots.  Trade tokens are one way to go about doing the one-shots theme, but they are not the point of the set.  Cards only use trade tokens if the trade tokens are necessary for executing the concept.  Fund is crazy elegant as it is, and definitely doesn't need trade tokens to do it's job, so there's no reason to add the extra complexity.  Interactions between trade token cards are not intentional and generally not desirable (since most kingdoms will not include more than one trade token card), but they aren't objectionable either (as long as they don't create broken combos), so trade tokens don't get added to the cards just for the sake of interacting with other trade token cards.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 27, 2014, 09:03:46 pm »
+1

hm, i really don't like the woodcutter version. It just feels tagged on, why would investment provide +buy? I don't like the treasure version either, it just doesn't make any sense for it to be a treasure; it's a card that does stuff with actoin cards, why would it be a treasure?

I really like the basic idea though. I'd suggest this version:

+1 Action.
You may trash this. If you do, you may reveal an Action card from your hand. Put a copy of it from the supply onto your investment mat.
---
When a Player plays an Action card, he gets +1$...

It's basically the "play the action first" idea, but it doesn't have any weird synergies with general or rule issues with one shots. It doesn't work if there aren't any cards left in the supply though. It should have about the same powerlevel, you're getting the effect from the action card instead of the +2$ +1 buy. So, if the action card is a woodcutter, it's identical. If you invest in more exensive cards, it's a little bit better. Well, actually you get the +1$ too, so it's probably stronger than woodcutter bonus.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 09:33:10 pm by silverspawn »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 27, 2014, 11:01:37 pm »

This might be a little random, but why did you choose the card fund to not make use of  trade tokens, since that is the idea of this expansion. I know that it wouldn't change too much, but it would be slightly more thematic. Is there any reason you did this? Does it hurt to much for the trade token to be used on something else?
Sorry if the answer is obvious or someone already asked it, but I was just wondering this while playing some of your cards today.

scott_pilgrim pretty much nailed it. One-shot effects are the theme of the set, and Trade tokens are just one good way to do them. It wouldn't hurt to make Fund a Trade token card and I am hoping to fit another use for Trade tokens. But I think it would make Fund less elegant/compelling and I like to reserve Trade tokens for things I couldn't do without them. Also, "Gain a Silver, putting it into your hand" just seems niftier than "+$2", especially since "+$2" is already done on Mining Village. Not that most people see Fund and think, "Oh, it's like Mining Village", but you know.

Also, Thanks for the expansion! Best fan expansion I have ever seen. I feel the idea is unique enough to feel like a real expansion. The idea of trade tokens is just genius.

Man, thank you for enjoying it! If you have any other feedback about any of the cards, please keep it coming.

hm, i really don't like the woodcutter version. It just feels tagged on, why would investment provide +buy?

[+1 Buy; +$2] is nice because it helps you potentially pick up another couple copies of the card you just invested in. So it's not just a completely arbitrary bonus.

hm, i really don't like the woodcutter version. It just feels tagged on, why would investment provide +buy? I don't like the treasure version either, it just doesn't make any sense for it to be a treasure; it's a card that does stuff with actoin cards, why would it be a treasure?

Herbalist is a card that provides Coin and a Buy and does stuff with Treasures. Why would it be an Action? ;) The fact that you couldn't invest in Investments would actually be pretty sweet; it eliminates rules questions like "Do I get +$1 now because I just played an Investment on another Investment?"

I really like the basic idea though. I'd suggest this version:

+1 Action.
You may trash this. If you do, you may reveal an Action card from your hand. Put a copy of it from the supply onto your investment mat.
---
When a Player plays an Action card, he gets +1$...

It's basically the "play the action first" idea, but it doesn't have any weird synergies with general or rule issues with one shots. It doesn't work if there aren't any cards left in the supply though. It should have about the same powerlevel, you're getting the effect from the action card instead of the +2$ +1 buy. So, if the action card is a woodcutter, it's identical. If you invest in more exensive cards, it's a little bit better. Well, actually you get the +1$ too, so it's probably stronger than woodcutter bonus.

If I want to do a pseudo-play-it-first version of Investment, I agree that this is the way to go. But unfortunately it doesn't actually solve the problem I currently have with the card, which is that none of my playtesters ever buy it. I guess they see it and think, "Whoa, too complex for me." [+1 Buy; +$2] gives them another reason to buy it. The value of extra buys is obvious. Then maybe they get it in their hand with a Village and think, "Hmmm…maybe I should seize this opportunity." That's my hope, anyway.

The more experienced players here on f.DS have played it and liked it, but it's hard for me to be happy with a card that only I ever buy in my IRL games. Floodgate is already teetering on that precipice, but I don't know how I'd improve it (other than maybe giving you +1 Action the turn after you gain it). Investment I'm hoping I can fix so that it appeals to both casual and hardcore players.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 12:35:34 am by LastFootnote »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 28, 2014, 01:17:26 pm »
+1

Herbalist is a card that provides Coin and a Buy and does stuff with Treasures. Why would it be an Action? ;)

well, i don't think you should ever ask yourself "why would it be an action," simply because the majority of all kingdom cards are action cards. you can make it a treasure, but if you do, it should feel like a treasure card when playing it. like, if you buy it to produce coins, that's a good start. contraband, cache, hoard, royal seel, venture, phil. stone, fools gold, harem and bank all clearly want to be treasures, you get them, use them in your buying phase and buy stuff with them. talisman, quarry and horn of plenty are a little bit different, but you're still using them to get stuff. counterfeit is a bit of a stretch, but at least it only trashes other treasures. none of these have any weird synergy with actions cards from your hand. when i look at treasure-investment, i don't see a treasure, i see a yellow action card with a +1$ tagged on.

that's, uhm, obv just my opinion. and it's not a big deal, i'm not going to cry if you end up making investment a treasure. it just seems like a very weak fix to me.

Quote from: LastFootnote
But unfortunately it doesn't actually solve the problem I currently have with the card, which is that none of my playtesters ever buy it. I guess they see it and think, "Whoa, too complex for me." [+1 Buy; +$2] gives them another reason to buy it. The value of extra buys is obvious. Then maybe they get it in their hand with a Village and think, "Hmmm…maybe I should seize this opportunity." That's my hope, anyway.

okay, i totally see your point now. it still doesn't appeal to me, but well, maybe there is no ideal solution.

[+1 Buy; +$2] is nice because it helps you potentially pick up another couple copies of the card you just invested in. So it's not just a completely arbitrary bonus.
eh.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 28, 2014, 04:25:07 pm »
+1

well, i don't think you should ever ask yourself "why would it be an action," simply because the majority of all kingdom cards are action cards. you can make it a treasure, but if you do, it should feel like a treasure card when playing it. like, if you buy it to produce coins, that's a good start. contraband, cache, hoard, royal seel, venture, phil. stone, fools gold, harem and bank all clearly want to be treasures, you get them, use them in your buying phase and buy stuff with them. talisman, quarry and horn of plenty are a little bit different, but you're still using them to get stuff. counterfeit is a bit of a stretch, but at least it only trashes other treasures. none of these have any weird synergy with actions cards from your hand. when i look at treasure-investment, i don't see a treasure, i see a yellow action card with a +1$ tagged on.

that's, uhm, obv just my opinion. and it's not a big deal, i'm not going to cry if you end up making investment a treasure. it just seems like a very weak fix to me.

You have a very good point that cards should be Actions by default. I agree. But making Investment a Treasure is helpful in sort of the same way that making Horn of Plenty a Treasure is helpful. Horn of Plenty being a Treasure lets you seamlessly play all your other Treasures before it, evening out its gaining power. Similarly, making Investment a Treasure lets play it after a terminal Action and then set that Action aside, no Village required. It also makes tracking easier because—barring Black Market—you're never going to have a turn where you play some copies of a card, then Invest in it, then play some more copies. I think making it a Treasure is super-elegant, play-wise. It just requires so much cramped text, though.

EDIT: Also, you very clearly do buy Investment to get Coins, just like most Treasure cards. It's just that the bulk of the Coins come in the turns after you play it instead of right when you play it. Hence the name "Investment". It's the missing Treasure card from Seaside! A Treasure that gives you Coins on future turns.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 04:31:57 pm by LastFootnote »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 29, 2014, 07:51:21 am »

I think most of the kingdom treasures would have been fine as actions. HOP, Harem and Counterfeit are the exceptions. Fund is good as a treasure thematically.

In fact I like the idea that fund is a trade token card without actually being one, and that's only possible as a mirror of a basic card.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 29, 2014, 07:56:19 am »
+1

Why do all your variants of investment involve it being a oneshot? Would it be too strong for the card to stick around (now it's also a Woodcutter).

How about making it a trade token gainer (on play) that gives you the choice of +$2, investing an action card, or another cards trade token ability?

Edit: Alternatively you could make the invested cards get trashed at the end of the game so it works as a trasher, or as an "island" if you put the cards back.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 07:58:36 am by NoMoreFun »

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 30, 2014, 10:38:53 am »
+3

I have been playing some games with your expansion as well as some experimental custom terminal draw cards in 2-player games.

Jubilee is fantastic in Kingdoms with other cards that use Trade tokens. I think it's a particular sense that its renewable source gives since it doesn't trash itself but returns itself to the Supply. I'm not sure I'd often buy it otherwise, but when there are other Trade token cards around, it is great fun-- and I even still expended Trade tokens on Jubilee itself, so I know the card would be fine even without those Trade token cards.

Barrister continues to be ignored in the Kingdoms I play it in. I think its ability is too swingy and situational. I think the coolest part about Barrister is the interaction Trash-for-benefit cards have with Domain and Barrister's ability to pull Domains back out of the trash. To that end, I might recommend removing the Attack entirely from Barrister. Domain is at the cost bracket that Saboteurs and Knights will trash them now, and Domain is fun to Trash-for-benefit. I think Barrister could be reworked to have a more interesting ability in addition to pulling Domains out of the trash and it would be great fun (and possibly decrease the number of Attacks in the set).

I've found Recruiter to be frustratingly slow and it is basically impossible to use Conscripts as a curser without Throne Room (or some other variant of such) since it puts Conscripts into your next hand. Would it be too much to optionally put the Conscripts into your discard pile?

Convocation is good. I don't think it's really too much better than Laboratory, but it always feels much more satisfying than it even when it's drawing a Copper and Estate from 2 Coppers and an Estate (I guess because of how much sifting exists in Dominion nowadays.

Terrace is good fun. I wish Enterprise had another disappearing card or two in addition to Jubilee to make its Trade token effect stronger.

Guide is an amazing card: I love its repetition and its sifting is really awesome too. Dignitary is still just as great as before and its reaction is also quite good. Fund is also as fantastic as always.

Now I will talk about the custom cards that worked out. The names are placeholders. Feel free to use, ignore, or build upon anything here:
Cathedral
Types: Action
Cost: $5
+3 Cards. You may spend any number of Trade tokens. For each Trade token spent, trash up to 3 cards from your hand.
When you gain this, gain a Trade token.
This may look kind of familiar. Draw is always fun and +3 Cards at $5 isn't too weak. Combined with strong trashing that can be cashed in when desired, Cathedral is actually quite a bit of fun right now.

Sorceress
Types: Action, Attack
Cost: $6
+3 Cards. You may spend a Trade token. If you do, each other player gains a Curse.
When you gain this, gain a Trade token for every 2 Actions you have in play, rounded down.
This is somewhat playing around with alternative ways to gain Trade tokens, in addition to a Curser with Trade tokens. It ended up working out in a Kingdom with Jubilee (which is probably one of the best tests for it since Jubilee makes Trade tokens so readily available). In Kingdoms without other Trade tokens cards, a player has to build up a bit of an engine to be able to give out many curses with Sorceress (or with Trade token cards, to cash in for a million Trade tokens that the player needs for other reasons). I gained three tokens at once at one point which made me feel pretty clever.

EDIT: Ugh, spelling and semantics.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:55:50 pm by Fragasnap »
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 30, 2014, 04:49:18 pm »
+2

More trade token ideas:

• Each other player either pays a trade token or gets attacked (with something situationally strong) / When gain, everyone else gets a trade token
  • Strong card with a trade token effect, and when you play everyone else gains a trade token (could be combined with above)
  • Related to the above, a card that gives everyone a trade token on play, but only you can exchange it for something right now (and only you own the card that makes it useful)
  • A card with a reaction to something that's bound to happen like Province Gains that gives you a trade token (better than reactions to attacks)
  • Trade tokens gained upon meeting special conditions (eg Menagerie)
  • When trash trade tokens (could work in a similar way to Investment; sacrifice one card to power up the others of its kind)
  • Flip the order; you pay trade tokens on gain/buy/trash for effects (on a card that gains trade tokens on play)
  • Paying the trade token during a reaction

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 31, 2014, 02:36:59 am »
+1

Donald X was pretty insistent about all the when-trash cards being cards that can't trash (except Rats which can't trash other Rats) because he doesn't like self comboing cards (although he designed Minion), which is interesting since with trade tokens by necessity the cards must both get trade tokens and use them (unlike coin tokens which you can always use).

For what it's worth I don't think that's any problem at all, but I'm now thinking Craftsman should be the only card that gets multiple trade tokens easily, just to really emphasise that they are primarily the triggers for the one time effect of cards, and occasionally you might get to swap one for the other.

Ignore my previous post? Perhaps.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 02:54:36 am by NoMoreFun »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 31, 2014, 04:10:29 pm »
+2

Donald X was pretty insistent about all the when-trash cards being cards that can't trash (except Rats which can't trash other Rats) because he doesn't like self comboing cards (although he designed Minion), which is interesting since with trade tokens by necessity the cards must both get trade tokens and use them (unlike coin tokens which you can always use).

For what it's worth I don't think that's any problem at all, but I'm now thinking Craftsman should be the only card that gets multiple trade tokens easily, just to really emphasise that they are primarily the triggers for the one time effect of cards, and occasionally you might get to swap one for the other.

Ignore my previous post? Perhaps.

I think you're reading too much into it. What he actually said was this:

I wasn't specifically avoiding "has a when-trashed ability, also has a way to trash itself," but it's only natural that there isn't one of those. It makes the whole thing less interesting. There is a classic thing they sometimes do in Magic, where they put both pieces of a combo on the same card. It's just much less fun than when you piece the combo together yourself.

I'm going to ramble a little about self-synergizing cards, because there's a whole spectrum there.

Self-synergy is neither inherently desirable nor undesirable. It's good to have cards that you can load up on, because the alternative is usually loading up on Silver and Gold, which many players find dull. Laboratory is a perfect example, but I don't think most players think of it as having "self-synergy".

The cards that most players think of as having "self-synergy" are those that have two separate abilities that combo with each other. Either the abilities are different options in a "choose one" list or one is on-play and the other is not, but they can interact with each other. Of the published cards, Minion and Governor are the big ones that people talk about. Minion's mulligan ability wants non-terminal, Coin-generating Actions in your deck, a role which Minion can also fill. Governor can remodel a card, so it wants $6 cards that can be turned into Provinces. Governor can also gain Gold (and increase your handsize to get Golds and Governors together). Graverobber is a less-cited example of this mechanic. One of its abilities wants to gain $5 Action cards in the trash and the other wants to trash them (and Graverobber itself costs $5).

Donald is saying that it's more interesting when the two parts of the combo are on two different cards, but that only works when each of those parts interacts with enough other cards. Minion and Graverobber have a self-combo because they'd be too narrow without it. Minion got the +$2 option because the mulligan option was dead on too many boards; non-terminal, Coin-generating Actions aren't that common, partly because many of them are more elegant as Treasures. Graverobber's main concept is fishing stuff out of the trash; the remodel option is necessary because there aren't enough other cards that reliably put stuff in the trash that's good enough to fish out. I have no idea whether Governor's self-synergy is intentional. I'm guessing it's mostly happenstance.

On the flip side, some cards need a combo, but the other combo pieced was judged to be common enough that they didn't need to combo with themselves. Rats is the big example. It's almost always useless without another trasher, but where Graverobber needs a partner that specifically trashes very good cards in order to be worthwhile, Rats can be at least somewhat useful with almost any trasher at all. A lot of sets have cards like this. Farmland is probably closest to Rats on the spectrum. Even though tactically there are often reasons to buy it, it's really not offering much in terms of strategy and gameplay unless it has some other piece that combos with it (Border Village, Crossroads, etc.).

Some cards have self-synergy as their entire concept; you need multiple copies for them to do their thing. Treasure Map and Fool's Gold are examples of this. Sure, Fool's Gold also has its Reaction, but usually you aren't buying it just for that.

So, Enterprise.

First of all, I definitely don't perceive Jubilee, Guide, Terrace, or Exchange to have "self-synergy". Without the ability to get Trade tokens on-gain, they aren't just narrow, they simply don't work at all.

Craftsman self-combos in the same way that Silver self-combos. Actually, it's more like how Graverobber self-combos. One way to think about Craftsman is essentially that you're building a separate, parallel economy. A Craftsman is sort of a slightly-more-valuable Silver for $4. One Craftsman gets you a card costing up to $3, two get you a card costing up to $5, etc. The reason this is OK is that it doesn't combine with your other income (and your deck starts with 7 Coppers). How much you want to invest in that parallel economy should vary from board to board. As you get more of them, they do their thing faster. So if you're using them mostly to gain $5 cards, one Craftsman gets you a $5 card every other shuffle, whereas two will get you one every shuffle. Similarly, you can use the same Graverobber to trash a card and then gain it back, but it's slower than if you had two.

Craftsman costs $4 (and is balanced around that cost) to keep you from effectively rushing them. It takes two plays of a Craftsman to get another Craftsman, and at that point you could get a (probably more powerful) $5 card.

I don't plan to make another card like Craftsman (that both gains and uses tokens on-play), and I probably won't. But if I come up with another good one, I won't reject it offhand.

Redistrict is costed specifically to prevent trashing a Redistrict to gain another one. You can rush Mill Towns really effectively in the early game, but by doing so you are digging yourself into an economic hole that you probably won't climb out of before the game ends. Refurbish definitely has a self-combo, but like Graverobber it's necessary for power and fun purposes. Without its ability to turn other cards into Silver, your options are either use a Silver-flooder (usually not available) or spend most of your buys on Silver (boring). Conscripts totally self-synergizes, but that's all part of its Barracks synergy. It's also player interaction in games with more than 2 players, so there you go.

Floodgate is the set's Rats, where its primary purpose is to combo with other cards. Hehe, Committee has a self-nombo, or at least that's the way I see it. Buy two or more Committees; Committees reveal each other; I flood your deck with Committees! Better have a lot of villages, sucker!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 04:26:57 pm by LastFootnote »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: March 31, 2014, 04:23:44 pm »
+1

• Each other player either pays a trade token or gets attacked (with something situationally strong) / When gain, everyone else gets a trade token

An attack that everyone else can moat once. I suppose it's an alternate way to have done Axeman's penalty, since the idea is to let people build up before they get hit. But overall I don't love it. It encourages players not to spend their tokens on other abilities so that they have them when attacked.

• Strong card with a trade token effect, and when you play everyone else gains a trade token (could be combined with above)
• Related to the above, a card that gives everyone a trade token on play, but only you can exchange it for something right now (and only you own the card that makes it useful)

I think it's OK to have some cards that make your opponents also want that card (like Pirate Ship), but these may be too blunt.

• A card with a reaction to something that's bound to happen like Province Gains that gives you a trade token (better than reactions to attacks)

Maaaaybe. I'll keep this in mind, but I don't think there's enough space on a card for it to work. It obviously has to do something on-play, with the option to get some bonus when you spend a token. That in itself takes a lot of space (see Guide). Then you also need a wordy reaction. Probably a Horse Traders-type set aside, since if you discard it you have to wait to draw it again to use the token you just got. This could fit if it did nothing on-play without a token, but it's hard to think of a card that you'd let sit around dead until you could activate the reaction.

• Trade tokens gained upon meeting special conditions (eg Menagerie)

I'm not ruling this out, but it seems like it might be a needless abstraction. "Man, I met the special conditions. Just give me the bonus now! We don't need to bring tokens into this."

• When trash trade tokens (could work in a similar way to Investment; sacrifice one card to power up the others of its kind)

I think this is a cool idea. I like it a lot.

• Flip the order; you pay trade tokens on gain/buy/trash for effects (on a card that gains trade tokens on play)

Also very cool! I'll keep this one in mind, too.

• Paying the trade token during a reaction

This potentially has both the "needless abstraction" and the "I must save my tokens" issues. Presumably you get the tokens on-play. You're sitting there with a pile of tokens, making your opponents very leery of doing anything to trigger your reaction.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 04:24:57 pm by LastFootnote »

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 31, 2014, 05:32:32 pm »
+3

This is my first post on this forum (I lurk a lot though), and I think the fact that your set made me want to make a post is a really good sign. So, good work on the set. It’s exciting, especially now that any new Donald X. expansion is less likely.

Disclaimer: Sorry, I haven’t playtested any of your cards, so these are just my thoughts from looking at them. I’m not really going to respond on the strategic value of the cards, but rather if they excite me or not. Although I certainly believe that a card may not look fun but be fun when it’s actually played, I think there is value in player reactions without playtesting. I mean, if a card doesn’t look fun or interesting, I’m not going to buy it in the first place. So this might be too personally subjective, but I hope it’s still useful. Alright, with that out of the way, here’s my thoughts:

I feel like too many cards in the expansion are conditional labs. There’s Gambler, Convocation, and Vendor. The first two seem sufficiently different and interesting that I think it’s fine, but Vendor just looks so boring next to those cards. It’s an ok card (and I’m sure plays differently than both Gambler and Convocation), but it seems so much less inspired when the other two cards exist in the same set. When I read it, I think “wait, isn’t there already a card like this in the expansion?” rather than, “that looks fun.”

Similarly, there’s too many cards that gain cards based on some other value: Redistrict, Mill Town, Craftsman, and Exchange. Each of these cards turns different resources into cards. I think I remember someone else complaining before about there being too many “remodels” in the set. I can only guess that this is part of the reason. Mill Town looks the most fun because it adds a new goal that doesn’t exist in Dominion (get as many copper in my hand as I can). Redistrict seems ok because of its versatility and low cost for this type of card. Exchange’s trade token ability seems fun, but I don’t find “non-terminal Remodel” to be all that interesting. Craftsman, I’m really not a fan of. First, I anticipate it being confusing. My friends always have to re-read Butcher every time they play it, and this is worse. The fact that trade tokens = two coin increments and that it starts at 1 all make it less intuitive than Butcher. Also, I don’t like the fact that this gets trade tokens on play. I think there’s value in all of the trade tokens being on gain/buy and only one at a time. And now that Jubilee returns itself back to the supply and can be an unbounded supply of trade tokens, Craftsman seems even less necessary.

Would a more standard Workshop variant with a trade token ability to put the gained card in hand be too similar to Workshop/Armory? Oddly, even though this is more similar to existing cards, I find it to be more compelling in this set than Craftsman or Exchange.

I’ll end on a more positive note with cards that look really fun to me:

Clerk – simple, but makes me think of situations that could make it really cool (e.g. Mill Town).

Jubilee – simple, looks fun on its own, but even more so with other trade token cards around.

Gambler – simple (there might be a theme here), an all-upside lookout variant.

Guide – I dream of playing this card 5 times with only one copy.

Floodgate – simple, but has many complex interactions/uses (this seems to be a perfect example of “lenticular design”). It also is a different way to make a “one-shot.”

Terrace – same as floodgate: seems really simple (village with mulligan), but could be incredible in certain situations (e.g. disappearing money).

Barracks – New way to do a pretty basic attack (something I imagine is very difficult these days), and can be used a couple different ways on different boards.

Convocation – encourages deck diversity in a slightly new way.

Fund – looks fun. And it also allows someone to play more on the “big money” end of things but still have opportunities for interesting decisions (when to pop the fund?) over the course of the game.

Sorry, I don’t have the chance to playtest (I’d love to if I could). Hopefully this was still helpful though.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 31, 2014, 06:21:45 pm »

Disclaimer: Sorry, I haven’t playtested any of your cards, so these are just my thoughts from looking at them. I’m not really going to respond on the strategic value of the cards, but rather if they excite me or not. Although I certainly believe that a card may not look fun but be fun when it’s actually played, I think there is value in player reactions without playtesting. I mean, if a card doesn’t look fun or interesting, I’m not going to buy it in the first place. So this might be too personally subjective, but I hope it’s still useful.

I agree that first impressions are very important, so comments like these are still very useful.

I feel like too many cards in the expansion are conditional labs. There’s Gambler, Convocation, and Vendor. The first two seem sufficiently different and interesting that I think it’s fine, but Vendor just looks so boring next to those cards. It’s an ok card (and I’m sure plays differently than both Gambler and Convocation), but it seems so much less inspired when the other two cards exist in the same set. When I read it, I think “wait, isn’t there already a card like this in the expansion?” rather than, “that looks fun.”

Yes, I had this complaint before back when the set was 13 cards. It had Gambler and Enforcer (the old spy attack version of Vendor) and I was considering adding Convocation. I agree that it's not ideal, but at the same time I don't that I want to axe Vendor entirely, nor do I know how I'd change it. Vendor and Gambler are both Labs if you trash them, but they serve such different purposes that I'm hoping it's OK. Vendor is simple and maybe not super interesting, but it's filling a lot of roles in my set right now. It's a cantrip that you can load up on (to an extent, anyway), which the set could use more of. It's +Buy, which wouldn't go well on a lot of my other cards but works fine here. It combos nicely with Clerk. (This is probably a bad time to mention that Clerk is also a conditional Lab.)

If anything I'd rather get rid of Convocation. That gets a lot more complaints, mostly that it's too often better than Lab. But even if I did that, I'd maybe want another Lab variant because Mill Town wants a decent amount of draw in the set and I don't consider Gambler and Vendor to really be filling that role, since you have to trash them to increase your handsize. Maybe Clerk, Guide, Floodgate, and another $5 terminal draw are enough, though. Probably, although Conscripts and Axeman are decreasing hand sizes. Anyway, yeah. Convocation is less likely to stay than Vendor. Perhaps I could add something to Vendor to make it more interesting, but I like its simplicity.

Similarly, there’s too many cards that gain cards based on some other value: Redistrict, Mill Town, Craftsman, and Exchange. Each of these cards turns different resources into cards. I think I remember someone else complaining before about there being too many “remodels” in the set. I can only guess that this is part of the reason. Mill Town looks the most fun because it adds a new goal that doesn’t exist in Dominion (get as many copper in my hand as I can). Redistrict seems ok because of its versatility and low cost for this type of card. Exchange’s trade token ability seems fun, but I don’t find “non-terminal Remodel” to be all that interesting. Craftsman, I’m really not a fan of. First, I anticipate it being confusing. My friends always have to re-read Butcher every time they play it, and this is worse. The fact that trade tokens = two coin increments and that it starts at 1 all make it less intuitive than Butcher. Also, I don’t like the fact that this gets trade tokens on play. I think there’s value in all of the trade tokens being on gain/buy and only one at a time. And now that Jubilee returns itself back to the supply and can be an unbounded supply of trade tokens, Craftsman seems even less necessary.

Yeah, I understand. The question is, if I should have fewer cards of this type, what should I have more of instead? I want to have 25 Kingdom cards and I'm trying to have a good ratio of everything, but it's not easy. Sometimes I feel like whatever I add, it makes me have too much of something or other. I feel like at the very least, the four cards you mention are all quite different from each other, which is the main thing.

Having designed Craftsman makes me feel clever, but I agree that the math required isn't ideal. I can't think of any way to change it without making it way worse, though. I don't think Craftsman is necessary as an infinite source of Trade tokens. That didn't even factor into making it. I just wanted to make a Workshop variant where you could combine several of them to get a more expensive card, and tokens are probably the best way to do that. It might be better or worse from a balance/fun perspective if Craftsman had its own set of tokens to accomplish this, but from a logistics perspective it's way better to have the same tokens used for a bunch of different cards rather than separate ones.

Maybe Craftsman isn't worth doing. I'll playtest it more and try to gauge reactions to it.

Small note: Coppersmith also has the "get as many Copper into my hand as possible" goal. And Bank, to a lesser extent. I'm glad that Mill Town seems unique and interesting, though. That's what counts. Well, and it playing well. Which it seems to.

Would a more standard Workshop variant with a trade token ability to put the gained card in hand be too similar to Workshop/Armory? Oddly, even though this is more similar to existing cards, I find it to be more compelling in this set than Craftsman or Exchange.

In order for such a card to be interesting, it pretty much has to have +1 Action. Otherwise you're incentivized to gain Treasure so that you can play it that turn (without villages). So if it's able to gain cards costing up to $4, it pretty much has to cost $5, I think. So a non-terminal Workshop that costs $5 and can gain to hand once. I find that less compelling than Exchange, but that's just my opinion.

Guide – I dream of playing this card 5 times with only one copy.

I played a 3-player game the other day where I was going for a long-term, mega-turn strategy. It took a while to set up, such that most of the Provinces were gone. But after saving up a bunch of Trade tokens from Craftsman, Jubilee, and Guide, I finally had a turn where I played the same Guide 7 or 8 times and gained the last few Provinces and a bunch of Duchies with my Mill Towns. It was pretty awesome. (Yes, I won that game, but thankfully not with a soul-crushing victory.)

Thanks for your comments! Keep 'em coming if you think of anything else and/or you'd like to rebut/comment on anything I've said here.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 01, 2014, 05:42:59 am »
+1

Craftsman is an interesting gainer on its own and in full random that's all that matters. However (correct me if I'm wrong) in 2 set configurations there's a 63% chance that if Craftsman's in the game then so will another trade token card 1-(19/24*18/23*17/22*16/21) so it can be used as intended. Speaking of which, 6/25 cards is a good number of cards to have the new mechanic; in line with Seaside and Hinterlands.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 01, 2014, 02:27:24 pm »
+1

I have admired your enterprise set for a while now and I'm glad that I finally find the time to give you my opinion on it now. I hope it can be of some value to you. I'll start with the card that I find interesting, amazing, and would love to playtest with friends:

Barrister and Domain: One of the first cards that come to my mind when I think of your set (Domain, specifically), because it shapes the game in a unique way. Games with four or more players would get really crazy and start out as a Barrister-war, similarly to Ambassador-war, and with increasing deck sizes, the attacks become less likely to hit. But you still want all those Domains, so you keep playing those Barristers. That one hit in the endgame could make a huge VP difference, which keeps it exciting. I just love the idea, and I really hope it plays out well.

Clerk: A creative peddler variant with great combo potential with various other cards. I like it for its simplicity.

Gambler: Simple cards can be so interesting! The card's name suits it very well. It's probably fun to play with, but can occasionally be frustrating. I'd take the risk :D

Axeman: Should I call it a "friendly Saboteur"? It's probably much more fun to play than Saboteur, and gives the attacker something, too. Although I know there will always be some people complaining how Axeman would ruin their deck building schemes (pun not intended). They shouldn't be whiny, though - it's a cool card.

General: An expensive throne room. At first, I thought this was unjustified because it would only be worth it with one-shots. But the last sentence makes all the difference - great! I'd gladly play a non-one-shot card twice now and another time next turn. It's a good card, that's why I throned it. The same clause really makes you go nuts with your one-shot, but if you play it next turn, there's probably no General around to save it. This is one example of how much thought you put in those cards.

I like most other cards as well, but I also agree with tripwire on most points.

If anything I'd rather get rid of Convocation. That gets a lot more complaints, mostly that it's too often better than Lab. But even if I did that, I'd maybe want another Lab variant because Mill Town wants a decent amount of draw in the set and I don't consider Gambler and Vendor to really be filling that role, since you have to trash them to increase your handsize. Maybe Clerk, Guide, Floodgate, and another $5 terminal draw are enough, though. Probably, although Conscripts and Axeman are decreasing hand sizes. Anyway, yeah. Convocation is less likely to stay than Vendor. Perhaps I could add something to Vendor to make it more interesting, but I like its simplicity.

I can see the reason for the complaints about Convocation, but the idea in itself it neat enough. A deck where it might be worse than a Lab would be an engine that does not draw your whole deck - you would often discard a potentially good action card. Otherwise it's just a very good card. Maybe you could nerf the card a little by giving a small boon to your opponents when you play it. Or perhaps make it a "bad Smithy" by strinking the +Action and reducing the cost to 3?

Recruiter and Conscripts: First off, Conscripts is a cool one-shot attack, an even meaner Torturer variant for the attacking part. However, I imagine this would make it very frustrating eventually, especially in a multiplayer game where "revenge" becomes the prevailing theme, to the point where everyone is stalling hard with curses. I think Recuiter might be a bit too fast in gaining Conscripts, for it being such a powerful card, even for a one-shot. But I should playtest this first. I might be mistaken.

I look forward to playtest some of your cards in the future. Would you like to hear some reports then? Are the black and white stars still up-to-date?

EDIT: Barrister's text is missing the term "in any order" after "and puts the rest on top". I know the card is wordy enough, but it just doesn't feel right without it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:03:35 pm by Co0kieL0rd »
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 07, 2014, 03:39:19 pm »

Time to respond to some posts I missed earlier.

Why do all your variants of investment involve it being a oneshot? Would it be too strong for the card to stick around (now it's also a Woodcutter).

How about making it a trade token gainer (on play) that gives you the choice of +$2, investing an action card, or another cards trade token ability?

Edit: Alternatively you could make the invested cards get trashed at the end of the game so it works as a trasher, or as an "island" if you put the cards back.

I actually considered making Investment a non-one-shot recently. (Man, this set it just hemorrhaging one-shots.) I'm not too concerned about its power level. I'm more concerned that newer players would completely shaft themselves by using it too much. Still, it's perhaps worth trying.

EDIT: Nevermind, that would make Conscripts stupid powerful. A non-one-shot version would probably have to not work on Conscripts.

Byah, the Trade token option sounds complex, but making it a Trade token card in the traditional sense might work. Wait, that would require two dividing lines. Dang.

Barrister continues to be ignored in the Kingdoms I play it in. I think its ability is too swingy and situational. I think the coolest part about Barrister is the interaction Trash-for-benefit cards have with Domain and Barrister's ability to pull Domains back out of the trash. To that end, I might recommend removing the Attack entirely from Barrister. Domain is at the cost bracket that Saboteurs and Knights will trash them now, and Domain is fun to Trash-for-benefit. I think Barrister could be reworked to have a more interesting ability in addition to pulling Domains out of the trash and it would be great fun (and possibly decrease the number of Attacks in the set).

Maaaaybe. I'd have to make Barrister itself a trash-for-benefit card. Blerg. I wonder if there's a way to keep the Attack, but make the card more appealing. I still like the Domain-stealing mechanic.

I've found Recruiter to be frustratingly slow and it is basically impossible to use Conscripts as a curser without Throne Room (or some other variant of such) since it puts Conscripts into your next hand. Would it be too much to optionally put the Conscripts into your discard pile?

I'm OK with this because Barracks can definitely be used to make Conscripts an effective Curse junker.

Optionally putting the gained Conscripts in the discard pile might be fine power-wise, but I think it's a bit much complexity-wise.

Convocation is good. I don't think it's really too much better than Laboratory, but it always feels much more satisfying than it even when it's drawing a Copper and Estate from 2 Coppers and an Estate (I guess because of how much sifting exists in Dominion nowadays.

Well, I hope you're right.

Terrace is good fun. I wish Enterprise had another disappearing card or two in addition to Jubilee to make its Trade token effect stronger.

For what it's worth, Mill Town, (the current version of) Craftsman, Barracks, Conscripts, and Exchange are all disappearing cards that give (at least) +1 Action.

Now I will talk about the custom cards that worked out. The names are placeholders. Feel free to use, ignore, or build upon anything here:
Cathedral
Cost: $5
+3 Cards. You may spend any number of Trade tokens. For each Trade token spent, trash up to 3 cards from your hand.
When you gain this, gain a Trade token.
This may look kind of familiar. Draw is always fun and +3 Cards at $5 isn't too weak. Combined with strong trashing that can be cashed in when desired, Cathedral is actually quite a bit of fun right now.

Sorceress
Types: Action, Attack
Cost: $6
+3 Cards. You may spend a Trade token. If you do, each other player gains a Curse.
When you gain this, gain a Trade token for every 2 Actions you have in play, rounded down.
This is somewhat playing around with alternative ways to gain Trade tokens, in addition to a Curser with Trade tokens. It ended up working out in a Kingdom with Jubilee (which is probably one of the best tests for it since Jubilee makes Trade tokens so readily available). In Kingdoms without other Trade tokens cards, a player has to build up a bit of an engine to be able to give out many curses with Sorceress (or with Trade token cards, to cash in for a million Trade tokens that the player needs for other reasons). I gained three tokens at once at one point which made me feel pretty clever.

I like these ideas.

Cathedral I think would be simpler and better if you could only spend one token when you played it. Probably it should only trash up to 2 cards instead of 3. Rinkworks' original criticism that an opening Cathedral buy could win you the game still applies to this version, though. Maybe not a deal breaker. Is it worse than Trading Post in this respect, for instance? Maybe not.

Like "one-shot Remodel", "one-shot trashing" is fraught with pitfalls, although it's a different set of pitfalls. The main pitfall is that trashing is so good that you buy the card just for that and then have whatever else randomly in your deck. This is why Hinterlands doesn't have an on-gain Chapel. Donald solved this problem with Doctor by having its main effect also be trashing. +Cards is nice and generically useful, but I worry that the combination of that and strong trashing is too powerful (especially early in the game, as mentioned).

Also, I worry that the set has enough trashing already. Gambler, Committee, and Dignitary are all potentially deck thinners. Redistrict usually is when trashing Curses and Coppers. Refurbish is great for trashing bad cards, but doesn't actually thin your deck. Still, that's a fair bit of trashing.

But this isn't to say that Cathedral is bad. These are just my worries and the reasons I haven't tried to fix Cathedral myself.

Sorceress is very cool. I thought "spend a token to give out Curses" was boring because you'd always be spending the token as soon as possible. But Sorceress is interesting because you have to do work to get the tokens beyond just buying the card. If Recruiter doesn't work out, I will probably try some variant of Sorceress. Thanks for the idea!

Similarly, there’s too many cards that gain cards based on some other value:

Craftsman, I’m really not a fan of. First, I anticipate it being confusing. My friends always have to re-read Butcher every time they play it, and this is worse. The fact that trade tokens = two coin increments and that it starts at 1 all make it less intuitive than Butcher.

I've just thought of a new, simpler version of Craftsman to address these two issues.

Craftsman
Cost: $4
+1 Card. +1 Action. You may spend a Trade token. If you do, gain a card costing up to $5. Otherwise, take a Trade token.

It loses flexibility (and complexity) because you can't spend more tokens to get bigger cards. But it's much better at gaining $5 cards (and amassing tokens) because it's now a cantrip. Too strong?

I like that this moves it further from Mill Town. Before they were both gainers that you could build up to Provinces. Now that's Mill Town's schtick and Craftsman focuses more on the $5 price point.

I also like that it's less confusing when you gain a Jubilee or Guide. Before it was: play Craftsman, take a token, spend a token, gain a Jubilee, take a token back. Now it's, at worst: play Craftsman, spend a token, gain a Terrace (or what have you), take a token back. 50% less complexity (in terms of token movement)!

EDIT: I think that version of Craftsman might be a little much. New version where you only get the cantrip if you don't gain:

Craftsman
You may spend a Trade token. If you do, gain a card costing up to $5. Otherwise, +1 Card, +1 Action, and take a Trade token.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 10:39:06 pm by LastFootnote »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 08, 2014, 06:43:16 pm »
+2

I actually considered making Investment a non-one-shot recently. (Man, this set it just hemorrhaging one-shots.) I'm not too concerned about its power level. I'm more concerned that newer players would completely shaft themselves by using it too much. Still, it's perhaps worth trying.
I'm fairly convinced that this is a bad idea. I've played with investment, and the big problem we had is that you have to kill one of your action cards to make it work. 3 player means that, even if you "win" a 4/3/3 split, you just have 4 of them, and if you invest in one you just have 3, that just doesn't seem to be worth it. you can just buy two treasuries and probably get more +$ every turn

it's possible that not every player wants that specific action card, but i dare saying that if all players know what they're doing, this will be an exception. and if killing one card hurts, killing more than one will hurt like crazy.  also, you'd have to make the card weaker in order to balance it for the situations where it would be useful, so it becomes even more situational, which I think is a bad thing. and lastly it wouldn't fit the set theme anymore.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 09, 2014, 06:20:27 pm »
+1

Craftsman
You may spend a Trade token. If you do, gain a card costing up to $5. Otherwise, +1 Card, +1 Action, and take a Trade token.

Cards that grant different numbers of actions can be hard to track. With this version you have to remember whether you used it for the +1 action. Would it be too strong if it always gave +1 Action? As in:

+1 Action. You may spend a Trade token. If you do, gain a card costing up to $5. Otherwise, +1 Card, and take a Trade token.

Edit: One possible problem with it giving +1 Action all the time is that it may be too good at gaining Duchies. A connected Tournament and Rebuild are the only nonterminals I can think of that gain Duchies.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 08:12:21 pm by JW »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #323 on: April 09, 2014, 08:56:58 pm »
+2

Cards that grant different numbers of actions can be hard to track. With this version you have to remember whether you used it for the +1 action.
Just state the number of actions out loud every time you play an Action card, it's not that hard. You also have to do it with Squire, Trusty Steed, Pawn, Tribute, Ironmonger and a bunch of other official cards.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 10, 2014, 01:22:25 am »
+1

Cards that grant different numbers of actions can be hard to track. With this version you have to remember whether you used it for the +1 action.
Just state the number of actions out loud every time you play an Action card, it's not that hard. You also have to do it with Squire, Trusty Steed, Pawn, Tribute, Ironmonger and a bunch of other official cards.

Procession anything is pretty much harder to track. And madman disappears from play.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 48  All

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.