Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 48  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Enterprise  (Read 412250 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Enterprise
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2013, 04:46:07 pm »
+1

You could add 2 or 3 piles and just include enough markers to cover the extras.

That thought had occurred to me. As long as it doesn't cut into the Conscripts pile too much, it's a possibility. I'm going to try the one-pile version first, just in the interest of simplicity. If it doesn't work out, I'll try 2 and 3-pile versions again. As I said, though, it's a fair amount of extra setup.

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2013, 04:48:39 pm »
+1

I like that idea.  Or, and this is just off the top of my head, you could add one extra pile per player, picked by each player, and initially mark those piles as not yet in the kingdom.

It would be a sort of anti-veto.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2013, 11:32:51 pm »
+1

Conscripts
Types: Action – Attack
Cost: 0*
Return this to the Conscripts pile. Gain a Gold. Each other player gains a Curse. You may play an Attack card from your hand. (This is not in the Supply.)

Holy cow, can I get a King's court with that please! 3 Golds, opponents get 3 curses, and I can play 3 attack cards from my hand! AWESOMEST CARD EVER!

You need wording like madman: Return this to the Conscripts pile. If you do... Maybe add a vanila bonus of +1 something just to make up for not being able to KC/TR/Prosesion it.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2013, 12:22:07 am »
+1

... I don't get the impression that it's that good with KC. Most other cursers give out 3 Curses and the Attack card playing part rarely comes into play (and it's not like in most engines you can't play multiple Attacks per turn). Gaining 3 Golds is pretty cool, though.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2013, 12:50:34 am »
+1

I don't think playing Conscripts multiple times has the exponential effect of playing a Madman multiple times, so it's probably not as vital.

The closest existing card to Conscripts is Marauder. It gives a curse instead of a ruins, and instead of being a permanent card that gives a temporary gold it's a temporary card that gives a permanent gold. The non terminal thing is a nice bonus but probably won't come up that often. It will be very nice with cards like Spy and Enforcer so it can be truly non terminal but it will largely be a rare thing. It does mean conscripts will never clash though.

I'd like to see barracks playtested with the conscripts gain used every single time. "+1 action, gain 2 Golds" is obviously too strong for $5, and I'm not convinced that delaying it reshuffle is bad enough to make it balanced, especially considering there's a curse being given. If the bonus is just +$3 then at least there may be a reason not to play your Conscripts immediately. Maybe tether the action to the draw (or even make it +2 actions again with this link)

Also I've brought it up a lot, but if Inventor had a different name, the when trash Conscripts wouldn't seem forced at all. It wouldn't seem any more forced than Catacombs, Cultist or Hunting Grounds anyway. Having an entire kingdom sized pile for one card does stick out a lot in a small box. Dark ages could get away with having 20 Rats, but that's because it gets compared to all the other large expansions and comes out on top. Tournament prizes are 5 unique cards, and Potion's necessary for 10 cards in Alchemy. When trash conscripts on "Inventor" would just add a little bit. Also if there are balance issues, a when gain conscripts bonus could work.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2013, 03:48:43 pm »
+2

I've just returned from JoCo Cruise Crazy 3. Once again, I won the on-board Dominion tournament, although there was definitely stiffer competition this year. The final games against mconst were both fun and intense. More importantly, the wonderful Dominion players on-board were happy to playtest these cards! (Not in tournament games, obviously.) I'd like to give a big thank-you to them.

Gambler was quite popular. I had considered it the dud of the set, so I was happy that the card was well-liked. Once again, I'm seeing that it's not just a card that you buy on the first two turns. This should have been obvious, in retrospect. In the endgame, a lot of decks would rather have a one-shot Lab than a Silver they're only going to see one time anyway.

I played one Mill Town game where my opponent went for a Mill Town/Council Room/Laboratory deck, attempting to gain Provinces from the Mill Towns. He was successful! I was ahead on Provinces for most of the game, but he ended the game with a megaturn that put him ahead by a few points. It's nice to see that the Mill Town-heavy strategy can work on certain boards.

I only played one game with Boycott (vs. my wife), and it didn't do much beyond the first couple of turns. mconst said that he would probably only use it for the coins and mostly ignore the marker, and I have to say I think he's right. To fix this, he suggested I replace the +$3 bit with something else, like a gain. It's good advice, but at this point I'm leaning toward replacing the card altogether. I know it has its fans, but I feel like it's got too much going against it (too similar to Embargo, not useful often enough, etc.).

The new version of Clerk seems OK so far. I think we only played one game with it, but it wasn't terribly broken there.

I've updated the OP with the new version of Floodgate, which got plenty of testing. I really like this version (which sets itself aside when gained, along with up to 4 other cards). Not only is it nicer for when you're trying to make some dead cards skip a reshuffle, but it's great when you've got a trash-for-benefit card in your hand with no target. Simply buy a Floodgate and save it and the trash-for-benefit card for your next turn, when you can trash the Floodgate. I'm not entirely sure that strategy's always a good one, but it's fun and seems very useful thus far. It works especially well with Exchange.

The new versions of Barracks and Conscripts didn't get as much testing as I would have liked. I played one game with it where I went for it and my opponent didn't in order to help test it. That was nice of him, but there was no good way to deal with Curses, and I crushed him. I don't think that's necessarily indicative of Barracks/Conscripts being too powerful, as I would expect that result with any Curse-giving card. Still, I'd like to test them more.

The version of Exchange with +2 Actions seemed fine. You won't always be using both actions, but I don't see a problem with that. There were concerns that it would be too powerful with King's Court, so we played a 4-player Enterprise/Prosperity game and tried it out. As it turns out, it's not easy to set up a turn where you King's Court and play Exchange, so it never actually happened. It was definitely a fun game, though.

Fund seems like a very solid $5 card and I don't think it's going to change from its current state. It's not a power $5, but there are a lot of reasons to go for it (you've got $5 and your deck needs a money boost; you need an extra buy for the engine you've been building; etc.). I'm very happy with the card as it stands. It got quite a bit of play, both by me and others.

Inventor was in the Enterprise/Prosperity game I mentioned, and although Exchange never got King's Courted, Inventor did. Frequently. It's definitely an interesting King's Court target, and it's part of what made that game so fun. I will need to test it more in games without King's Court, though!

Finally, I only got to play one good game with Tax Collector and Surveyor, and unfortunately, neither really got the chance to shine. It was a game with both Goons and Bishop, so often only one of the 3 other players would actually be hit by the attack. It does seem to cause a lot of AP, unfortunately. I'm not sure if it's too much yet, and I'm also not sure if it'll be lessened once people get more familiar with the card. I suppose time will tell. Regardless, the version where you put the gained card on your deck needs more testing, so I haven't updated the OP with the new version quite yet. Surveyor may not work out, but I'm not ready to give up on it yet.

I can't remember if we playtested Enforcer, but that card's had quite a bit of testing previously. I'm not real worried about it.

Once again, thanks to all the people who helped me playtest the cards! I really appreciate it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 05:35:09 pm by LastFootnote »

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2013, 08:15:37 pm »
+1

I'll be sorry to see Boycott go, but I can see why it's tough to make work.

Any ideas what will replace it?

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2013, 10:27:56 pm »
+1

How bout exploring other vanilla for boycott:
+$2, +2 Actions
Now a weak Festival/ Actiony Silver.

Edit: Actually how about something like "Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. If any are Actions or Treasures, play one of them. Discard the rest."
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 10:30:33 pm by One Armed Man »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2013, 01:29:38 am »
+1

I'd like to see barracks playtested with the conscripts gain used every single time. "+1 action, gain 2 Golds" is obviously too strong for $5, and I'm not convinced that delaying it reshuffle is bad enough to make it balanced, especially considering there's a curse being given. If the bonus is just +$3 then at least there may be a reason not to play your Conscripts immediately. Maybe tether the action to the draw (or even make it +2 actions again with this link)

Concerning always using Barracks for gaining Conscripts, exactly how it shakes out will vary from Kingdom to Kingdom, but testing has shown it's almost always a bad idea. I tested the current version of Conscripts before posting it, but I don't remember the specifics. However, I did play a few mock games just now. The deck that inflexibly used Barracks only for the Conscripts gain always lost. A deck with two Barracks lost against BM-double Witch, and that's with the two Witches colliding AND missing the reshuffle TWICE.

Here's a pertinent quote from Donald (emphasis mine):

Market Square: Once Intrigue had the top half. By the time I was working on Intrigue for publication, it didn't seem worth a slot. I brought it back here because I needed a simple top for the reaction. Before that I tried the reaction paired with Fool's Gold's top.

Originally the reaction was, you could trash this to gain a Gold when one of your cards was trashed. Time has shown that gaining a Gold is not as awesome as it looks (btw spoilers), and I eventually got around to testing the stronger version that made it into the set.

The comparison between Barracks/Conscripts and Market Square is very apt. It's not just a matter of the Golds being delayed a shuffle. It's the fact that neither the Conscripts nor the Barracks (when played for the gain) help your current turn, effectively leaving you with a smaller hand size. Furthermore, Conscripts don't provide true +Action, so they can collide with other terminal Actions. Once you play with Market Square a while, you realize that eventually you have to stop gaining Gold and keep the Market Square in your hand in order to maintain your handsize. A similar thing happens in most Barracks games, and if you're the only one giving Curses, it may happen well before the Curse pile runs out.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:58:37 pm by LastFootnote »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2013, 11:11:07 am »
+1

I like that idea.  Or, and this is just off the top of my head, you could add one extra pile per player, picked by each player, and initially mark those piles as not yet in the kingdom.

It would be a sort of anti-veto.

This is a neat idea, but I think in practice it would draw out the pre-game process even longer, which is not what I want.

Conscripts
Types: Action – Attack
Cost: 0*
Return this to the Conscripts pile. Gain a Gold. Each other player gains a Curse. You may play an Attack card from your hand. (This is not in the Supply.)

Holy cow, can I get a King's court with that please! 3 Golds, opponents get 3 curses, and I can play 3 attack cards from my hand! AWESOMEST CARD EVER!

You need wording like madman: Return this to the Conscripts pile. If you do... Maybe add a vanila bonus of +1 something just to make up for not being able to KC/TR/Prosesion it.

NoMoreFun and dondon151 have already said everything I would have. King's Court on a Conscripts is good, but not game-breaking. It doesn't feed on itself like King's Court/Madman would if Madman didn't have the "if you do" clause.

The closest existing card to Conscripts is Marauder. It gives a curse instead of a ruins, and instead of being a permanent card that gives a temporary gold it's a temporary card that gives a permanent gold. The non terminal thing is a nice bonus but probably won't come up that often.

Actually, thanks to Barracks's ability to dig for an Attack card, it comes up quite frequently. If a Conscripts and a Barracks collide, you can often chain Attack cards. You wouldn't think this would usually be a good strategy, but the extra cycling you get combined with the fact that it doesn't decrease your handsize (like gaining Conscripts would) means that it's very often worthwhile.

Really, I'm quite pleased with how Barracks and Conscripts work right now. It seems like you'll be getting use out of both of Barracks's effects in most games, which is exactly what I want.

Also I've brought it up a lot, but if Inventor had a different name, the when trash Conscripts wouldn't seem forced at all. It wouldn't seem any more forced than Catacombs, Cultist or Hunting Grounds anyway. Having an entire kingdom sized pile for one card does stick out a lot in a small box. Dark ages could get away with having 20 Rats, but that's because it gets compared to all the other large expansions and comes out on top. Tournament prizes are 5 unique cards, and Potion's necessary for 10 cards in Alchemy. When trash conscripts on "Inventor" would just add a little bit. Also if there are balance issues, a when gain conscripts bonus could work.

Another issue I have with having several cards gain Conscripts is that it means there are effectively several Curse-giving cards in the set. I guess Cornucopia got away with that, but it's not something I'm excited to do.

If I really had to make more use of Conscripts, I'd rather replace Boycott with a new card that makes use of them than muck with Inventor at this point. There's also the possibility of having several types of one-shot "Solidier" cards that do different attacks. Perhaps Barracks could gain any of them, but other cards could only gain certain ones, or something like that. If I did any of these things, I'd probably scrap Tax Collector. Otherwise the set feels way too Attack-heavy. I suppose I could put Tax Collector's attack on one of the one-shots, though. Hmm....

I'll be sorry to see Boycott go, but I can see why it's tough to make work.

Any ideas what will replace it?

I had an idea for a one-shot card called Jubilee that caused everyone to gain a card. It would be something like, "Each player sets aside a differently-named Kingdom card from the Supply. Each player gains a set-aside card." It would probably have a vanilla bonus as well. The thing is, I worry it's too political. Also, it would probably speed the game up quite a bit. Also, it'd probably end up being a cheap card, and I'd really like Boycott's replacement to cost $5 if possible.

Really what I want is a $5 card, probably not a one-shot, that ties into the short-term/long-term theme and has a non-Attack player interaction.

How bout exploring other vanilla for boycott:
+$2, +2 Actions
Now a weak Festival/ Actiony Silver.

Edit: Actually how about something like "Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. If any are Actions or Treasures, play one of them. Discard the rest."

Maybe. I won't completely scrap Boycott until I have a good replacement, so I might try out other bonuses first. Thanks for the suggestions!

EDIT: I do have one other option available to make the fact that Barracks/Conscripts takes up 27 cards a little more palatable: add 13 more Kingdom cards to the set and make it a 300-card box with 25 Kingdom cards in it. That seems like a monumental task, but I'm starting to consider it more seriously. I really wish I knew what was in Guilds so that I could make sure there's no overlap before starting work on a bunch of new cards.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 05:27:06 pm by LastFootnote »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2013, 11:40:35 pm »
+1

Searching through my old card ideas, I found this and tested it on my own a bit. It could be a replacement for Boycott or it could be the first of several new cards. I have yet to decide. If it does replace Boycott, the set will have a dearth of terminal Action cards, so I'm torn.

Convocation
Types: Action
Cost: 5
+1 Action. Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Discard revealed cards until no two of them share a type. Put the rest into your hand.

EDIT: I also just updated Tax Collector in the top post, adding the 'gain to the top of the deck' clause.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:48:33 pm by LastFootnote »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2013, 12:02:36 am »
+2

With Convocation, if you reveal an Action, a Treasure and a Tunnel, do you have the option of discarding the Tunnel? I would think not.
If you reveal 2 Coppers and a Tunnel, do you have the option of discarding the Tunnel? I would think so.

It just seems like an interesting quirk.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2013, 12:15:25 am »
+1

With Convocation, if you reveal an Action, a Treasure and a Tunnel, do you have the option of discarding the Tunnel? I would think not.
If you reveal 2 Coppers and a Tunnel, do you have the option of discarding the Tunnel? I would think so.

Huh, I guess you're right. That is an interesting quirk.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2013, 02:32:51 pm »
+2

So I have a couple of ideas for Boycott that may or may not have already been suggested.

First, you can make it a bit like Young Witch and just add an 11th kingdom card instead of making a sideboard. Start out the game with having a Boycott token on that supply pile. A pile with a Boycott token cannot be bought from (but hypothetically you can still circumvent this with gaining; not sure if this is a good enough tradeoff). An alternative is to say that a pile with a Boycott token is not in the supply, which will prevent any buying or gaining. The token method is functionally the same but it looks less complicated. If you decide to keep the sideboard, you can also reduce the number of cards on the sideboard from 3 to 2.

EDIT: seems like you already considered this. I was just going off the cards on the first page. Sorry for the confusion.

Second, you can also take another example from Young Witch and necessitate that the extra kingdom cards cost $5. This will make the sideboard cards much more appealing on average.

I'm not entirely sure that Boycott is an effective card if it is a self-trasher. The problem here is that playing with Boycott is not adaptable because once a pile has been switched out, you need to regain Boycott and play it as a terminal action in order to switch the pile back in. You also have to consider that there will invariably be useless supply piles in the kingdom and those may just be switched out permanently after a single play of Boycott, after which Boycott will just end up being a self-trashing terminal Gold.

Self-trashing was okay with Embargo because it's 1) cheap and 2) you can't "reverse" an Embargo by playing something else. One solution that I can propose is to make Boycott a self-trashing terminal Silver instead (at the same cost) and to gain it to the top of your deck. This adds a little more functional nuance to the card. Unfortunately it does introduce a huge disparity in 4/3 openings because one guy can get 4/5 with trashing Boycott and the other guy can only get 4/4. This is worse than with Nomad Camp because at least Nomad Camp stays in your deck. You can also consider adding an "if you do move the Boycott token, trash this," which would resolve the 4/3 opening problem.

EDIT 2: I also glossed over the concern for Clerk's power in countering Scrying Pool decks. An alternative suggestion is to set aside Clerk and trash exactly 1 card from your hand upon getting attacked instead of trashing any number of cards. This still turns discard attacks into a net benefit and also soft counter Curse-givers but not to an extreme extent. I just think that being able to trash your entire hand in response to an attack is really swingy. Compare to Trader, where revealing it in response to a Curse-giver is not so amazing.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 02:55:38 pm by dondon151 »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2013, 03:18:27 pm »
+1

dondon, thanks very much for the ideas! I have to say that I think removing the self-trashing portion of Boycott makes a lot of sense. I think I've got enough one-shots in the set without it at this point. I also really like the idea of making the pile that the token starts on a $5 card. I might test it with and without that part. I wonder if moving the Boycott token should be optional for the version that doesn't trash itself.

So how does this version look?

Boycott
Cost: $4
+$2. You may move the Boycott marker to a nonempty Kingdom card pile in the Supply.

Setup: Add an extra Kingdom card pile costing 5 Coins to the Supply and put the Boycott marker on it. A pile with the Boycott marker is not part of the Supply.

At this point, I definitely don't want the gained Boycott to go on your deck, since I want all players to be able to buy a copy of Boycott before it gets removed from the Supply. Not that you were necessarily advocating that in combination with the removal of the self-trashing clause. I just thought I'd address it.

EDIT 2: I also glossed over the concern for Clerk's power in countering Scrying Pool decks. An alternative suggestion is to set aside Clerk and trash exactly 1 card from your hand upon getting attacked instead of trashing any number of cards. This still turns discard attacks into a net benefit and also soft counter Curse-givers but not to an extreme extent. I just think that being able to trash your entire hand in response to an attack is really swingy. Compare to Trader, where revealing it in response to a Curse-giver is not so amazing.

Hmm, I understand your concern. There are two reasons I haven't changed Clerk's reaction to [set aside/trash one] as you suggest. First, it would have to be a lot more wordy and I'm worried about space on the physical card. Second, I haven't actually had balance issues with Clerk's current reaction. As I've said, it discourages buying Attacks on turns 1 and 2. After that, the chance that you're trashing more than 1 or 2 cards from your hand is pretty slim. I mean sure, you might get lucky and be able to trash 4 Curses, but you might also be able to buy 8 Provinces by turn 13 using Chancellor. The odds just aren't in your favor.

As far as countering Scrying Pool decks specifically, I'm not really concerned about interactions with a single card (see Mill Town/Tactician) unless they create rules ambiguities, are able to shut a player out of the game, or are absurdly powerful combos that you can build without relying on your opponents. If Clerk's presence means players don't buy Scrying Pool, so be it. There are plenty of games where Scrying Pool is dominant. If Clerk turns out to be too powerful against all, most, or even a large proportion of Attacks, I'll definitely change it. I'm definitely open to the possibility that it's too powerful and I just haven't playtested it enough yet. It certainly does look powerful, I'll grant you.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 03:22:02 pm by LastFootnote »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2013, 04:18:58 pm »
+1

So how does this version look?

It looks fine. Definitely playtest it to make sure that it isn't a little weak or too strong, though. I don't know how strong the supply blocking is if only one person gets the card.

First, it would have to be a lot more wordy and I'm worried about space on the physical card.

"Set this aside" and "a card" versus "reveal this" and "any number of cards" seems like a wash to me. It does take a little bit of extra text to instruct the player to return the card to hand.

As far as countering Scrying Pool decks specifically, I'm not really concerned about interactions with a single card (see Mill Town/Tactician) unless they create rules ambiguities, are able to shut a player out of the game, or are absurdly powerful combos that you can build without relying on your opponents. If Clerk's presence means players don't buy Scrying Pool, so be it. There are plenty of games where Scrying Pool is dominant.

It doesn't actually counter SP decks in the traditional sense. SP decks benefit from the Clerk trashing as well. In any case, if you do find some combination that is really strong with the current version of Clerk's reaction, the modified version should mitigate it.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2013, 04:59:51 pm »
+1

"Set this aside" and "a card" versus "reveal this" and "any number of cards" seems like a wash to me. It does take a little bit of extra text to instruct the player to return the card to hand.

Yeah, that's the part that takes the extra text.

It doesn't actually counter SP decks in the traditional sense. SP decks benefit from the Clerk trashing as well. In any case, if you do find some combination that is really strong with the current version of Clerk's reaction, the modified version should mitigate it.

I do miss the old version of Clerk that gained a Silver. It diluted your deck and mitigated how powerful the trashing usually got.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2013, 05:46:07 pm »
+1

I kind of like that. Although, if the revealed Action was also a Reaction, then you *could* discard the Tunnel. Actually, I quite like the card in general, because it doesn't quite match any existing card and it looks like one of those cards that's hard to use right, but powerful when you do.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2013, 05:50:21 pm »
+1

I kind of like that. Although, if the revealed Action was also a Reaction, then you *could* discard the Tunnel. Actually, I quite like the card in general, because it doesn't quite match any existing card and it looks like one of those cards that's hard to use right, but powerful when you do.

Thanks. I thought it would be too close to Laboratory, but it's different enough to be interesting. If you let your deck get too Treasure-heavy, for instance, it may only draw you one card. It also cuts through Curses like nothing, making it a decent Witch counter. If I actually end up doubling the size of this set, I'll almost certainly add it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:51:48 pm by LastFootnote »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2013, 06:49:36 am »
+1

Those are amazing *__*
I didn't think i could like a one-shot theme but these are fantastic. My only concern is that Boycot should not be able to remove itself from the supply... Also, where did you get the Artwork from?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 06:52:12 am by Asper »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2013, 10:51:01 am »
+1

Those are amazing *__*
I didn't think i could like a one-shot theme but these are fantastic. My only concern is that Boycot should not be able to remove itself from the supply... Also, where did you get the Artwork from?

The artwork I got from anywhere I could find it on the internet. It's definitely not all licensed for commercial use, but for the purpose of mocking up fan cards, I'm not too concerned about it. If—miracle of miracles—this set were to be published, the cards would have to have new art.

As for Boycott, I'm testing a new version of it now, but I may be scrapping it from the set. It's likely I'd replace it with Convocation (above), but then the set would only have 4 terminal Actions (5 if you count Conscripts). I wonder if that's an issue. I suppose Alchemy only has 3 terminal Action cards, but the question is if one-shots justify that as much as Potion-costs do. I'll have to think about it more.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:55:05 am by LastFootnote »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2013, 10:33:40 pm »
+1

With Convocation in the set there'll be 3 Lab variants, as well as Inventor which sort of occupies the same space. I like the card but if you can get Boycott to work it will really fit in with the set, as it is definitely all about the long term strategy considerations.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2013, 11:20:22 pm »
+1

With Convocation in the set there'll be 3 Lab variants, as well as Inventor which sort of occupies the same space. I like the card but if you can get Boycott to work it will really fit in with the set, as it is definitely all about the long term strategy considerations.

Yeah, as much as I like Convocation, I agree that it's not the best fit for the set as it currently exists. I'm trying out another new card (Committee) to fill Boycott's slot, but I won't take fixing Boycott off the table.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2013, 05:47:22 pm »

I've been testing yet another possible card for the set. So far it seems OK. I have no idea how it will work out with a large number of players, though. Opinions welcome!

? ? ? ?
Cost: $5
+$3. Trash a card from your hand. Each other player may gain a Copper, putting it into his hand.

The name is still up in the air. Back in the very first version of this set, I had a card called Philanthropist, which was a $5 card that was [+2 Cards/+$2/Each other player may gain a Copper in hand]. Rinkworks thought its was too powerful and I agreed. It was the first card I scrapped from the set. I filled that slot with Monopoly, then with Boycott. Come to think of it, this is the most troublesome slot in the set.

I thought I'd bring back the idea of letting other players gain Copper. It seems like a decent non-Attack interactive effect.

Anyhow, I can't find any good art for "Philanthropist". I might call it "Almsgiver", but that might step on the toes of Schneau's winning submission to the Mini-Set Design Contest, Almoner. I suppose it could be "Patron" or "Donor", but I don't think I'll have any better luck finding art for those. If you all have any suggestions, I'm happy to hear them.

Name aside, the card seems pretty balanced from my preliminary tests, but I have some concerns. I can't tell if it's too much a solution to itself. If you have the ability to gain Copper in hand, I think that makes you want this card, since after you've trashed your Estates, you may want a bigger hand in order to offset the trashing you have to do. After all, when you're trashing Copper, this is an expensive Moneylender that helps your opponents. I could make the trashing optional. I could also bump it to +$4, but that seems obscene. I'll try to test it some more.

As usual, thanks for any feedback and suggestions!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 04:21:13 pm by LastFootnote »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2013, 08:26:06 pm »
+1

One card that seems missing in a thorough one shot/instant vs delayed gratification expansion would be a card of this form:

Card:
Effect 1
(You may) trash this
---
When you trash this, Effect 2

You can play the card, but you may want to play it with a good TFB card instead, or you could use it in a pinch with an early game trasher. I don't know where it would fit (possibly on "fund") but if you do end up going for the large expansion, that would be something to consider.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 48  All

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 21 queries.