Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 48  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Enterprise  (Read 413561 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Enterprise (Beta)
« Reply #1100 on: May 19, 2016, 11:23:49 am »

I'm really looking forward to printing these up and giving them a spin.

• Wheelwright and Auction are both interesting cards individually, but seem like they could be devastating when paired.
  • Conclave looks like something I want to build a very particular deck around. I don't know what that deck is yet, but I want to try it.
  • Charlatan just looks plain fun.

I'm glad you like them! I hope they end up being fun in your games.

At first glance, Floodgate appears exceptionally powerful - is that the case? I guess it depends on the hand, on what you're setting aside and what it aligns with next turn, but it seems like Gear on steriods...

Just to be clear, Floodgate isn't an Action card. The Gear-like effect only happens when you gain the Floodgate, so it's effectively a one-shot effect that puts a (usually) dead Victory card to your deck.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: May 19, 2016, 11:51:23 am »

Starting to think about doing some work on Enterprise again. A couple things on my mind.

• Right now the set only has two +Buy cards, and they're both Treasures. It would be nice to have another +Buy, preferably on a terminal Action.
• I may combine Terrace and Vendor, meaning that I would put Terrace's token ability on a $5 Peddler. Vendor isn't as exciting as I had hoped and it's also full of words. This would free up a slot to bring back Mill Town or to have some other new village.
• I will remove Harbor just as soon as I find at least one card to take its slot. It's strong and not particularly compelling.
• It's so easy to forget about Wheelwright's bonus for other players. My current plan is to give it a name that links thematically to that ability. Patron, Philanthropist, Almoner, etc.
• Study feels wonky to me. I may replace it with some other, vaguely similar Duration.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: May 19, 2016, 12:04:02 pm »
+1

• It's so easy to forget about Wheelwright's bonus for other players. My current plan is to give it a name that links thematically to that ability. Patron, Philanthropist, Almoner, etc.

I just made this change because why not.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: May 19, 2016, 12:06:13 pm »
+2

Have you considered "committing" this expansion and starting a new one?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: May 19, 2016, 12:22:52 pm »
+4

Have you considered "committing" this expansion and starting a new one?

Well, certainly not until it's actually a full set. Right now the OP only has 21 Kingdom cards (and nothing else to fill that space).

I have been considering ideas for an Underground-style expansion. Underground was an idea I had a long time ago where certain cards you gained would come with a Cave-In, which was a dead card that you couldn't usually get rid of (when trashed, it went onto your deck). And then those cards would be pretty strong and also usually interact with Cave-Ins in some way. Revisiting the idea, I think it would be best for a Cave-In to be a Treasure worth $1 that replaced two Coppers in each player's starting deck. That way the cards could interact with them without having the issue of accumulating too many Cave-Ins in your deck or putting a limit on how many you could gain.

Anyway it's all very theoretical at this point.

navical

• Golem
  • Respect: +268
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: May 19, 2016, 01:02:35 pm »
+1

Starting to think about doing some work on Enterprise again. A couple things on my mind.

• Right now the set only has two +Buy cards, and they're both Treasures. It would be nice to have another +Buy, preferably on a terminal Action.

I thought the latest was that Refurbish was back in the set, and with +Buy?

• Study feels wonky to me. I may replace it with some other, vaguely similar Duration.

Personally I think Study is great. What feels wonky to me about it is that the discard-for-benefit in Enterprise is a Treasure, so doesn't combo with Study. In addition, there's no discard attack in Enterprise, the non-drawing non-terminals (Jubilee, Charlatan), which are the other thing Study combos well with, both have things that make them harder to play lots of (being a 2-shot and being a Duration respectively). For a pretty situational card, to have no combos in its own set is not great.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1812
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: May 19, 2016, 01:10:58 pm »

For me, the wording on Redistrict was a little unclear. I played is as a one-shot expand instead of a one-shot remodel. Perhaps:

Choose a card from your hand and trash it. You may gain a card costing $2 more than the trashed card. If you did, trash this. Otherwise, gain a card costing $1 more then the trashed card.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: May 19, 2016, 01:14:14 pm »
+1

I thought the latest was that Refurbish was back in the set, and with +Buy?

I need to test it before putting it in the OP, but yeah, that's a good call. Refurbish could make a comeback.

Personally I think Study is great. What feels wonky to me about it is that the discard-for-benefit in Enterprise is a Treasure, so doesn't combo with Study. In addition, there's no discard attack in Enterprise, the non-drawing non-terminals (Jubilee, Charlatan), which are the other thing Study combos well with, both have things that make them harder to play lots of (being a 2-shot and being a Duration respectively). For a pretty situational card, to have no combos in its own set is not great.

I would definitely like to have another Attack card in Enterprise, which could end up being a discard attack (Racketeer is just so wordy and hard to get right). I actually worry about discard-for-benefit cards being too strong with Study, but perhaps I should try it out first. Artificer is the card I most worry about there.

Mostly though some people have issues with Study's "when you play, first draw" wording, and I think having the drawing come after the card opens it up to more abuses with discard-for-benefit.

Also the set already has draw-to-X with Almoner (formerly Wheelwright). I'm not sure it needs another one.

I have some other ideas for Duration cards, so maybe I'll try them out and see how they compare.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 01:15:37 pm by LastFootnote »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: May 19, 2016, 01:15:04 pm »

For me, the wording on Redistrict was a little unclear. I played is as a one-shot expand instead of a one-shot remodel. Perhaps:

Choose a card from your hand and trash it. You may gain a card costing $2 more than the trashed card. If you did, trash this. Otherwise, gain a card costing $1 more then the trashed card.

That's a different card, though. If you trash Redistrict, you're meant to get both a card that costs $1 more and a card that costs $2 more.

EDIT: Although it would also be different when throned, Redistrict could say, "Trash a card from your hand and gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it. You may also gain a card costing exactly $2 more than it; if you do, trash this."

The tricky thing with Redistrict is pronouns. Both "it" and "the trashed card" could refer to either Redistrict itself or the other card you trashed, depending on how it's worded. I tried to get around that with "choose a card" and "the chosen card", but apparently people cannot parse that.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 01:18:38 pm by LastFootnote »

navical

• Golem
  • Respect: +268
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: May 19, 2016, 01:39:26 pm »
+1

Mostly though some people have issues with Study's "when you play, first draw" wording, and I think having the drawing come after the card opens it up to more abuses with discard-for-benefit.

It's the same timing as the +1 Card token, so maybe that'll be better once people are more used to Adventures?

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: May 19, 2016, 02:19:33 pm »
+2

Excited that you are updating this.  I totally dig the trade token dynamic.  Would you be willing to post an image of the picture file you use to create a deck in Tabletop Simulator?  if you have one for Enterprise, that is. 

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: May 20, 2016, 02:49:52 pm »
+1

Couple of Adventures/Empires games today. I tried the new Vendor:

Vendor: Action, $5
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
You may pay a Trade token, to discard your hand then draw 5 cards.

When you gain this, take a Trade token.

But in its game it was competing with Artificer as a $5 Peddler and with Guide as a dud-hand-replacer. Also it was a super-fast game. In the end only one was bought and its ability wasn't used. Lots of Wanderers gained with Artificer, though.

Second game I tried a new $4 village. Seems pretty OK power-wise, but I'm not sure it's fun enough. Needs more games.

Enterprise definitely needs more Attacks and +Buy. I printed up the new Refurbish, but didn't have time to cut and sleeve it yet.

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: May 22, 2016, 11:06:36 am »
+1

the outtakes on the original post are not showing up--I think the imgur image is gone. 

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: May 22, 2016, 07:48:38 pm »

the outtakes on the original post are not showing up--I think the imgur image is gone.

Fixed.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: May 23, 2016, 12:30:53 am »

Dignitary + Fortress + Tomb = ∞ VP, in a small enough deck.

*sigh*

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: May 23, 2016, 12:38:53 am »
+2

It doesn't work without some additional tweaking, but maybe you can use the "react by playing" that was used by Caravan Guard to get around that.

Like it is kind of close if the reaction said "You can reveal this to, trash a card from your hand, and then play this. (It's way worse because of the putting cards back thing, but maybe the play effect can be adjusted to make the reaction work like it does now.)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: May 23, 2016, 12:39:37 pm »
+1

It doesn't work without some additional tweaking, but maybe you can use the "react by playing" that was used by Caravan Guard to get around that.

Like it is kind of close if the reaction said "You can reveal this to, trash a card from your hand, and then play this. (It's way worse because of the putting cards back thing, but maybe the play effect can be adjusted to make the reaction work like it does now.)

Not a bad idea. The other obvious option is to change it so the Reaction doesn't draw.

A few people have suggested the idea of a Trade token Reaction. Either it would gain tokens on-play and spend them on the Reaction, or the other way around. Personally I prefer gaining tokens on the Reaction and spending them on-play. But then the card will be really lame in the absence of Attacks or other Trade token cards, so maybe it should react to something else. Let's see.

"When you gain a card, you may discard this from your hand, to trash a card from your hand and take a Trade token."

And then what does the top do? Is there another Trade token card that could use this bottom instead of "When you gain this, take a Trade token"? *scans the cards* Nope, not really. In fact I'm starting to wonder if both trashing a card and getting a token is too strong with other Trade token cards on the board. But probably not? I mean you're down two cards in hand (barring on-trash abilities, of course).

Maybe it's good enough to have:

Trade Village: Action, $?
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may pay a Trade token to play this again.

When you gain a card, you may discard this from your hand, to trash a card from your hand and take a Trade token.

Obviously similar to Convoy, but perhaps different enough. Or maybe I should just have one or the other, but this one will be better. Convoy was specifically designed such that you wouldn't have to track how many times you played it, but I now realize you can just use the tokens themselves to track that.

What would this card even cost? Probably in the $2-$4 range.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: May 23, 2016, 05:56:30 pm »
+1

You could make a $4 Village that can spend Trade Tokens to defend against attacks and comes with 3-4 of those.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: May 23, 2016, 08:14:17 pm »
+1

You could make a $4 Village that can spend Trade Tokens to defend against attacks and comes with 3-4 of those.

The problem there is that it wouldn't jive with other Trade token cards. Getting 3 tokens and a village for $4 would be nuts with e.g. Convoy on the board.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: May 24, 2016, 02:29:34 am »
+1

Would "put this in play to trash a card from your hand and then draw to 5" work?
It's very gimmicky, so I'm not sure it is the right solution.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: May 24, 2016, 06:19:18 am »
+1

The problem there is that it wouldn't jive with other Trade token cards. Getting 3 tokens and a village for $4 would be nuts with e.g. Convoy on the board.

I was aware there would be combos with this, but didn't consider that a bad thing to be honest. If 3 are too much, 2 would probably still be worthwile - after all, you often buy $4 Villages either way.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: May 24, 2016, 01:03:07 pm »
+2

If spending a trade token made you unaffected by attacks until the beginning of your next turn, that would increase its ability to defend and therefore would reduce the number of trade tokens it would need to come with.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: May 24, 2016, 03:51:21 pm »
+2

If spending a trade token made you unaffected by attacks until the beginning of your next turn, that would increase its ability to defend and therefore would reduce the number of trade tokens it would need to come with.

And furthermore it's better design. Having to spend resources to block a single attack really sucks, scaling badly with the number of players and also being incredibly frustrating against attacks that don't stack, like Militia. (I know from experience, testing that Treasure-Duration in Adventures that you could discard from play to block a single Attack.)

But I am not so jazzed about making a Moat/Lighthouse variant anyway. It would be nice to have a trashing Reaction, since it feels more new.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: May 24, 2016, 03:52:07 pm »
+1

Would "put this in play to trash a card from your hand and then draw to 5" work?
It's very gimmicky, so I'm not sure it is the right solution.

I would like to avoid "Put this into play" if possible, since it just makes you ask, "So do I play it or what?"

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: May 24, 2016, 03:55:38 pm »

Vendor: Action, $5
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
You may pay a Trade token, to discard your hand then draw 5 cards.

When you gain this, take a Trade token.

I am thinking I will rename this to "Palanquin". Or one of its synonyms: "Litter", "Sedan Chair", etc.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 48  All

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 20 queries.