Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 48  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Enterprise  (Read 413541 times)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Enterprise (Beta)
« Reply #1075 on: February 04, 2016, 08:03:16 pm »
+1

Played a game with Refurbish today. Not great, but decent. Bit slow, though (in the deck we used).

In practice, the card is: turn a curse/estate/copper into a silver. It's slow, but if you have actions to spare, ok. If it's the only trasher with heavy cursing, it get's overwhelmed, though.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: February 05, 2016, 04:43:41 pm »

Played a game with Refurbish today. Not great, but decent. Bit slow, though (in the deck we used).

In practice, the card is: turn a curse/estate/copper into a silver. It's slow, but if you have actions to spare, ok. If it's the only trasher with heavy cursing, it get's overwhelmed, though.

Well, there's a reason it's an outtake. It's not super-strong or super-fun. The $-making portion of it can be quite strong if you're increasing your hand size. Without that, you'd usually rather have another trasher.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: February 05, 2016, 04:45:56 pm »
+1

Didn't know it was an outtake.

Any cards you want to have playtested soon? I am investing a lot in playtesting cards. :)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: February 05, 2016, 04:58:47 pm »
+1

Three 2-player Enterprise games last night. The first two were Enterprise/Guilds, and the third was Enterprise/Cornucopia.

Redistrict was fine; the $0 cost mattered. There was at least one time where I should have bought one but didn't. Really I should have bought a ton of them. It was a super-sloggy Young Witch game that ended on Duchies, Curses, and Redistricts. My deck failed badly.

Auction was good. My opponent used the Reaction a few times, even discarding Silver once to activate it.

Jubilee was the Bane in that Young Witch game. It's an interesting Bane card, but I focused way too much on them and not enough on trashing.

Wanderer was also in the Young Witch game. I bought quite a few, but as usual I was the only one. My deck was too junked for them to line up with Jubilees or Hamlets often.

This new version of Convoy still seems promising.

A timely Floodgate buy won me one of these games. I set aside an Auction, among other things, when there were only two Provinces left. My next turn I was able to buy Province/Duchy for the win, I believe.

Sometimes I worry Tinker is too swingy. When you are able to trash two Estates for a $4 card on turn 3 or 4, it's pretty great. Maybe no stronger than Trading Post, though.

Stockpile didn't get that much play (in the Young Witch game), but I did use it to gain a Gold at least once. Still seems promising to me.

Bladesmith: so far, so good. Taxman helped to expedite my Armaments.

Conclave: I think I'm the only one that has bought this so far (only two games with it, I believe), but it's looking good. It's awful against Curses, though.

General is also awful against Curses.

The new Racketeer is certainly less oppressive than the old one. It's nice just to kill off opponents' Trade tokens when they need them to power e.g. Convoys. I will make sure to try it soon without other Trade token cards.

We played two games with a version of Trade Goods:

Trade Goods: Treasure, $5
Worth $2
You may choose another card you have in play. If you discard it this turn, trash it and gain a card costing up to $1 more than it.

I forgot to add "When you play this". Man, this card needs to be so wordy. I'm not sure it's worth all the words it seems to require.

We didn't buy it in the first game, but we each got a couple in the second game. It actually seems pretty good. I used it quite a bit to turn Silvers into Heralds and eventually to turn a Herald into a Duchy. I worry that it'll just be a dud, though. It doesn't look exciting and is just so wordy.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: February 05, 2016, 05:01:33 pm »

Any cards you want to have playtested soon? I am investing a lot in playtesting cards. :)

Well, if you want to test the experimental new stuff, the best cards for that are Wanderer, Charlatan, Stockpile, Conclave, and Study in the OP. Also Racketeer and Trade Goods. I don't have an uploaded version of Trade Goods yet, but here's Racketeer:

Thanks!

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: February 08, 2016, 09:08:59 pm »
+1

Well, if you want to test the experimental new stuff, the best cards for that are Wanderer, Charlatan, Stockpile, Conclave, and Study in the OP. Also Racketeer and Trade Goods. I don't have an uploaded version of Trade Goods yet, but here's Racketeer:

Thanks!

I'll see what I can do, but Saboteur isn't really popular, so I doubt I can persuade them to use Racketeer. :p

In other news: played another game with Refurbish today. It's a very slow card, and it's mandatory silver gain is... slightly annoying, but I tried to make it work and with 2 refurbish on the field (had to trash a perfectly good silver though, and another random copper), I was able to generated 20 coins with 5 silvers, which wasn't bad at all. (Bought 2 provinces that turn.)

The other player went for a treasure trove to get money, and that ultimately beat me (those golds were killing me.)

My suggestion to try would be one of these three:
gaining optional, trashing mandatory
gaining mandatory, trashing optional
or even the strongest one: gaining and trashing optional.

I am open to the point that the third one is too strong, and I am frankly pretty indifferent to the first two. I personally like the card, although it's very slow to shine, but it can shine (and will almost indefinitely if the game goes on long enough.)

I wouldn't dismiss it just yet.

(I haven't printed any other fan cards I like, that's why you are getting more feedback on refurbish. :p)

Several of the ones you mentioned specifically (so not racketeer) are in the list to be tested at some point. The major constraint, really, for me is finding people to play with.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 09:11:43 pm by AdrianHealey »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: February 10, 2016, 03:15:29 pm »

My suggestion to try would be one of these three:
gaining optional, trashing mandatory
gaining mandatory, trashing optional
or even the strongest one: gaining and trashing optional.

I am open to the point that the third one is too strong, and I am frankly pretty indifferent to the first two. I personally like the card, although it's very slow to shine, but it can shine (and will almost indefinitely if the game goes on long enough.)

I wouldn't dismiss it just yet.

Too late! It has been dismissed. I mean it could come back someday, but right now I have enough ≤$4 cards and I like Tinker better in this sort of terminal-trasher/remodel role. Possibly I could strengthen Refurbish somehow and price it at ≥$5. Possibly it could make it into some other expansion someday.

If it were a total dud or obviously too weak or too strong, it wouldn't be in the OP at all. There are dozens of Enterprise outtakes; the ones in the OP are cards that just don't currently fit into the set, but are otherwise fine. Though of those, Refurbish is the closest to being a dud.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: February 10, 2016, 03:21:37 pm »
+2

I think part of the issue is: Coppersmith itself is a dud. It basically needs a way to increase your hand size to be worthwhile. And it really wants +Buy, too. Refurbish you might buy without a way to increase your hand size, but it sure isn't exciting compared to other trashers. Aha, it could itself give +1 Buy. That along with making the gaining and/or trashing optional might be enough to bump it up to $5. Hmm…

Refurbish: Action, $5
+1 Buy. You may gain a Silver. You may trash a card from your hand.

While this is in play, Silver produces an extra $1.

It seems a little less cohesive that way—a little tougher to remember—but maybe it's fine and I'm worrying too much.

EDIT:

Refurbish: Action, $4
+1 Buy. You may trash a card from your hand, to gain a Silver.

While this is in play, Silver produces an extra $1.

Slightly stronger than the version in the OP, but probably not enough to warrant a $5 cost. $4 seems reasonable. Hmm... Early on it's a trasher/remodel of sorts, then later you can stop using that aspect and it's just a source of +Buy and +$.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 04:36:13 pm by LastFootnote »

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: February 10, 2016, 05:01:08 pm »
+2

As is, I would prize it at 4.

If the trashing and the gaining were completely independent, I'd put it at 5.

I like this version of refurbish. I am having a tournament with my friends somewhere late February, where we hope to include in every deck a fan card or 2-3. This refurbish looks one that would be worth it.

Nic

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: February 10, 2016, 09:20:51 pm »
+1

Played some more Bladesmith games, and hoo boy, I can see what you mean. After complaints about Gambler as the only trasher, we replaced it with Chapel . . . and then I opened 2/5. I cleaned my deck in three shuffles, and then drained the entire Curse pile (two or three at a time) before anyone had a chnce to respond. It helped that we had Throne Room and Harbor on the board, so I could decide what cards would be in my hand each turn. I don't think it's too much to worry about; it's less oppressive than Mountebank, and I was up against people who play far less Dominion than I do. As for Harbor itself, I really liked it, but it has the potential to slow games down considerably. There are dozens of decisions you have to make each time you play the card, and you have to figure out how much money you want to make when you have more actions left to take.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: February 11, 2016, 03:04:42 pm »

Played some more Bladesmith games, and hoo boy, I can see what you mean. After complaints about Gambler as the only trasher, we replaced it with Chapel . . . and then I opened 2/5. I cleaned my deck in three shuffles, and then drained the entire Curse pile (two or three at a time) before anyone had a chnce to respond. It helped that we had Throne Room and Harbor on the board, so I could decide what cards would be in my hand each turn. I don't think it's too much to worry about; it's less oppressive than Mountebank, and I was up against people who play far less Dominion than I do. As for Harbor itself, I really liked it, but it has the potential to slow games down considerably. There are dozens of decisions you have to make each time you play the card, and you have to figure out how much money you want to make when you have more actions left to take.

Yeah, Harbor is likely to go someday, though I probably won't drop it until I have some more good $5 cards. It's generically strong, plus it has all those crazy decisions you mention. Plus the set has a lot of card-drawing right now, and all the other such cards are more interesting.

Thanks as always for testing!

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: February 12, 2016, 08:55:48 am »
+1

I have printed:

Auction
Charlatan
Committee
Floodgate
Wheelwright
the new refurbish

to try them out. (Sorry, no cards with the tokens just yet. I have to ease my friends into it.)

Some of these might be take outs, I haven't checked, but I assume that some feedback couldn't hurt, even if they were take outs?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: February 15, 2016, 05:23:48 am »
+3

Hi Last Footnote,

Let me first start by saying that I have never played with fan cards before. I have been very hesitant. So, I printed some of your cards and went full random. I used four of your cards, and really enjoyed a couple of them. Overall, this set seems well-designed and Donald X. really needs to play with your cards sometime.

Anyway, the kingdom was a Horn of Plenty board with Outpost.

The four Enterprise cards were Harbor, General, Terrace and Fund.

Fund did not get bought, but HoP is hard to contend with. So, I would not count that as a strike against it.

The place on top of Harbor never got used. Unfortunately, for this card, I would say the effect is weak most of the time. Or, maybe it was just this board. However, I felt for $5 cost terminal draw, this card is on the weaker end.

General is decent. The top-decking rarely factored in, but it's always nice to have a Throne variant, and it feels fresh.

Now Terrace, holy crap, this card is STRONG! It might be a little to OP. Drawing 5-cards for $4 is very, very good even if it is one-shot. I understand Ranger does the same, but that card is terminal, and doesn't draw 5 cards the first time it is played. I think you should consider having it draw maybe four cards, potentially even three, although, it's probably not as fun then. Although, I really enjoyed playing with Terrace, but I think that had more to do with how strong the card is. Although, considering that I only played one game with the card, perhaps, I am wrong about it's power level. It is fun though.

Overall, I feel like Terrace and General feel like real Dominion cards. I need to play more games though with these cards and your other cards, but I am quite impressed.

Now, please pester Donald and tell him to print this expansion.  8)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: February 15, 2016, 03:01:20 pm »
+1

Hi Last Footnote,

Let me first start by saying that I have never played with fan cards before. I have been very hesitant. So, I printed some of your cards and went full random. I used four of your cards, and really enjoyed a couple of them. Overall, this set seems well-designed and Donald X. really needs to play with your cards sometime.

Now, please pester Donald and tell him to print this expansion.  8)

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad your experience with the cards was good overall.

As for Enterprise becoming an official expansion, don't hold your breath! :)) It's easy, from a Dominion player's perspective, to think, "If there are a bunch of good cards, why not publish them?" But from Donald's perspective, it's a similar amount of work to making an expansion himself, but without a lot of the fun of making up the cards! And he (very rightly I think) chooses projects based on whether he wants to do them, not based on financial incentives.

Another thing is, I think Enterprise in its current form would look pretty lame when compared to Adventures and Empires. At minimum I think I'd want some Events and maybe another fresh mechanic (I should start testing Edicts). On the other hand, there is definitely some number of people (on BGG at least) who want a simpler Dominion expansion, without as many tokens, etc. Though Enterprise does have tokens. Anyway.

It would be neat if Donald were to someday take over development of Enterprise and mold it into an Adventures-level set. But I wouldn't count on it!

Let's talk about these cards.

Fund did not get bought, but HoP is hard to contend with. So, I would not count that as a strike against it.

Fund doesn't get bought all that often, I've found. In fact the version in the OP is untested; the old version only gave you the +1 Buy when you trashed it. I'm not sure which version you used. I think Fund's power level is reasonable, but a dud is a dud, and I may someday abandon it if this new version is equally dud-like.

The place on top of Harbor never got used. Unfortunately, for this card, I would say the effect is weak most of the time. Or, maybe it was just this board. However, I felt for $5 cost terminal draw, this card is on the weaker end.

Harbor seems pretty strong in a deck that doesn't draw itself. But it's also very AP-heavy in those situations. And at the same time it lacks that special something. Probably I find something better. Really the set has plenty of card-drawing without it, including Wanderer, Convoy, Conclave, and Wheelwright (although maybe not all of them survive). But I need some more $5 cards, so for now it's still there.

General is decent. The top-decking rarely factored in, but it's always nice to have a Throne variant, and it feels fresh.

Thanks! I'm a bit surprised the top-decking wasn't more useful to you. Did you often Throne something you didn't want in your next hand?

Now Terrace, holy crap, this card is STRONG! It might be a little to OP. Drawing 5-cards for $4 is very, very good even if it is one-shot. I understand Ranger does the same, but that card is terminal, and doesn't draw 5 cards the first time it is played. I think you should consider having it draw maybe four cards, potentially even three, although, it's probably not as fun then. Although, I really enjoyed playing with Terrace, but I think that had more to do with how strong the card is. Although, considering that I only played one game with the card, perhaps, I am wrong about it's power level. It is fun though.

Forgive me, but I'm not sure whether you read the card correctly. When you activate Terrace's token ability, you discard your hand, then draw 5 cards. Which can still be pretty strong, don't get me wrong!

I have been considering swapping Vendor and Terrace's token abilities. That way you get a Village that can one time pull a card from your discard pile, and a Peddler that can one time mulligan your hand. Though I think the last time I suggested that idea it wasn't popular. And Terrace is fine as-is, so maybe I shouldn't mess with it.

Overall, I feel like Terrace and General feel like real Dominion cards. I need to play more games though with these cards and your other cards, but I am quite impressed.

Thanks again! I really appreciate the feedback!

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: February 15, 2016, 07:28:37 pm »
+1

Oh man, you're right. I misread Terrace and thought it said draw 5 cards. I'm surprised my playgroup did not catch it either. Oh well. Then, I will have to try it again, this time the way it was intended. Sorry about that. Discarding your hand makes a huge difference in power level.

I do want to say that I think the simpler cards are refreshing in some ways. I think it could use some Events, but even though I doubt Donald would want to work on something that was not his own, I think this would make a nice, new introductory set if it were ever to see the light of the day. I've had just one experience so far, but I enjoyed the cards a lot...despite one card being misplayed.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: February 16, 2016, 05:30:15 am »
+1

So, I played another game today. This time we used Terrace, playing it correctly, General, Wanderer, and Racketeer.

This time, the top-decking of General got used more often. There was no +buy or gains on the boards. Racketeer seems rather strong for a $4 cost. Even though, 50% of the time, it won't hit, the fact is, this is a Knight attack and one that never whiffs. Either the opponent pays a trade token or loses their card. Perhaps, in games where trade tokens are super heavy, this card is rather weak, but on a full-random board with no other way to gain trade tokens, I feel this card will be very strong.

As far as Wanderer goes, I think it is costed appropriately. I honestly have no idea how to gauge its power level. It seems strong and weak at the same time since you have to give it up for free. I like that its on-buy puts your discard into your deck

EDIT: Just realized we played with the previous version of Racketeer. Sorry. I printed the cards off earlier and did not realize you had a newer version.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 05:37:01 am by Beyond Awesome »

Moneymodel

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: April 20, 2016, 10:44:48 pm »

Uh oh, what happened to all the cards?

Nflickner

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: April 20, 2016, 11:11:22 pm »

Yeah, most of the cards say "The image you requested is no longer available. Imgur"

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: April 26, 2016, 08:51:01 am »
+2

I was on the wiki, and I learned LastFootnote designed Summon!

Cool!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: April 26, 2016, 04:54:59 pm »

Yeah, most of the cards say "The image you requested is no longer available. Imgur"

Sorry, guys. I made a mistake awhile ago and deleted all the images. I've been meaning to put them back up but haven't remembered when I was in front of the right computer. I haven't been actively working on cards recently, so it's been easy to forget. I'll try to remember to re-upload them tonight.

Nflickner

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: May 15, 2016, 12:27:55 pm »
+1

Sorry, guys. I made a mistake awhile ago and deleted all the images. I've been meaning to put them back up but haven't remembered when I was in front of the right computer. I haven't been actively working on cards recently, so it's been easy to forget. I'll try to remember to re-upload them tonight.

Thanks :)  It looks like Gambler has the most playtesting so far :)  It seems like a really fun card!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: May 17, 2016, 12:46:06 pm »

Thanks :)  It looks like Gambler has the most playtesting so far :)  It seems like a really fun card!

Well a lot of people like it, but it's a bit random for some tastes.

Whenever I change a card slightly, I reduce the number of stars it has without resetting it to zero. Fund for instance used to have 5 stars of testing, but I recently moved the +1 Buy outside the one-shot effect, and haven't yet tested the new version. So really Gambler is the card that's changed the least recently.

Nflickner

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: May 17, 2016, 06:26:31 pm »
+1

Whenever I change a card slightly, I reduce the number of stars it has without resetting it to zero. Fund for instance used to have 5 stars of testing, but I recently moved the +1 Buy outside the one-shot effect, and haven't yet tested the new version. So really Gambler is the card that's changed the least recently.

For what it's worth, your newer version of Fund looks like it will be more fun and bought more often.  Sometimes you just get a sense about a card even without playtesting that you can feel quite confident about. 

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1812
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: May 17, 2016, 06:51:51 pm »
+1

For what it's worth, your newer version of Fund looks like it will be more fun and bought more often.  Sometimes you just get a sense about a card even without playtesting that you can feel quite confident about.
I played with the newer version and it seemed fine. You don't always use it but it's nice having it there.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

junkers

• Thief
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: May 19, 2016, 05:17:42 am »
+1

I'm really looking forward to printing these up and giving them a spin.

• Wheelwright and Auction are both interesting cards individually, but seem like they could be devastating when paired.
  • Conclave looks like something I want to build a very particular deck around. I don't know what that deck is yet, but I want to try it.
  • Charlatan just looks plain fun.

At first glance, Floodgate appears exceptionally powerful - is that the case? I guess it depends on the hand, on what you're setting aside and what it aligns with next turn, but it seems like Gear on steriods...
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 48  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.