Dominion > Variants and Fan Cards

Dominion: Enterprise

(1/238) > >>

LastFootnote:
December 2021: After a many-year hiatus, I've been spending a lot of time working on and testing fan cards again for the past few months. Years? Time has lost all meaning. But here is the current version of what I, for the moment, am still calling Dominion: Enterprise. It's a 400-card set, and right now the plan is to have 32 Kingdom cards, along with 20 copies of Rubble and 16 copies of Gizmo.

The original theme was one-shots, and I created Trade tokens in order to do one-shot effects that didn't involve trashing the card. They are now called Gems and work the same way: cards give you Gems and also give you ways to use them for various benefits. The Gems have no other intrinsic value. The other one-shot sub-mechanic in the set has been a non-Supply, one-shot attack card, variously called Conscripts, Armament, Sword, and now finally Gizmo. It's a Treasure-Attak card worth $2 that becomes a Curse-giving one-shot if you already have another Attack card in play (including another copy of Gizmo).

--- Quote ---Gizmo: Treasure-Attack, $4*
+$2
If you have another Attack in play, return this to its pile and each other player gains a Curse.
(This is not in the Supply.)
--- End quote ---

The other two major mechanics I also introduced years ago: Activation cards and Rubble. When you play an Activation card, follow the instructions above the dividing line. The card then stays in play until Clean-up on the turn you trigger it. You might trigger it the same turn you play it, one or more turns later, or not at all. You can trigger an Activation card by spending an Action in your Action phase whenever you're not actively resolving another effect. In other words, in your Action phase you can either use an Action "point" to play an Action card from your hand or to trigger an untriggered Activation card you have in play. An Activation card may only be triggered once per time it's put into play, regardless of how many times you played it (with e.g. Throne Room). This means that a Throne Room or similar card that plays an Activation card multiple times never stays out with the Activation card; there's nothing for it to track.

Rubble is a simple card; a Treasure worth $0. It's a self-inflicted penalty for cards with powerful effects. There are 30 Rubbles in the pile, regardless of player count.

--- Quote ---Rubble: Treasure, $0*
+$0
(This is not in the Supply.)
--- End quote ---

The number of stars after each card name indicates how much testing the card has gotten. More black stars = more testing. Generally if a card has a bunch of stars, I'm happy with it or I would have scrapped it by now. Cards with more white stars need much more testing before I can make a judgment.

Kingdom Cards

--- Quote ---Architect: Action-Activation, $5  ★★★★★
+1 Action
When you trigger this, +3 Cards.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Bookkeeper: Action-Attack, $4  ★★★★☆
+$2
Each other player reveals the top card of their deck. If it's not a Copper, they gain a Copper onto their deck.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Boom: Action-Activation, $5  ★★★★☆
Gain a Gold to your hand.
When you trigger this, gain a Copper to your hand.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Borough: Action, $4  ★★★☆☆
+2 Cards
You may play a Silver from your hand. If you did, +2 Actions.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Bursar: Action, $5  ★★★★☆
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may play a Treasure from your hand. +$1 per differently named Treasure you have in play.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Cavern: Action-Victory, $6  ★★★☆☆
+1 Gem
Worth 5 VP if you have more Gems than Caverns.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Cliffside Village: Action, $4  ★★★★★
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
When you gain this, gain a Rubble.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Committee: Action, $4  ★★★★☆
+2 Cards
You may spend a Gem to choose one: +1 Action; or gain a Gizmo; or trash a card from your hand. Otherwise, +1 Gem and the next player chooses for you.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Consul: Action-Activation, $4  ★★★☆☆
You may trash a Treasure from your hand.
When you trigger this, you may play an Action card or Treasure from your discard pile twice.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Convoy: Action-Activation, $3  ★★★★☆
+2 Cards
You may spend a Gem for +2 Cards. Repeat as desired.
When you gain or trigger this, +1 Gem.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Excavation: Action, $5  ★★★☆☆
+1 Buy
Discard any number of cards, then draw until you have 6 cards in hand.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Fabricate: Action, $5  ★★★★☆
+1 Action
Gain a Gizmo to your hand.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Foundry: Action-Reaction, $5  ★★★★☆
Gain a card costing exactly $1 more than the last card you gained this turn, if any.
When you gain a card, you may play this from your hand.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Fund: Treasure-Reaction, $3  ★★★☆☆
+1 Buy
Choose one: +1 Gem; or you may spend a Gem for +$3.
When you discard this other than in Clean-up, you may reveal it for +1 Gem.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Gambler: Action, $3  ★★★★☆
+1 Card
+1 Action
Look at the top card of your deck. Choose one: trash it; or put it into your hand and return this to the Supply.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Jeweler: Action, $3  ★★★★★
+1 Gem
Spend up to 3 Gems. If you spent…
0: Trash a card in your hand.
1: +3 Actions.
2: +1 Buy and +$3.
3: Gain an Action and play it.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Jubilee: Action, $2  ★★★★★
+2 Actions
+$2
You may spend a Gem. If you don't, return this to its pile at the start of Clean-up.
When you gain this, +1 Gem.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Knave: Action, $5  ★★★★★
Reveal your hand. Discard a card per Treasure revealed. Gain a Treasure costing up to $6 to your hand.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Middleman: Action, $4  ★★★★☆
Gain the top card of the Imports deck.
Setup: Shuffle together three unused non-Attack Action piles costing $5 face down. This is the Imports deck.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Mill Town: Action, $5  ★★★★☆
+2 Actions
Choose one: +1 Card; or play any number of Treasures from your hand and gain a card, costing exactly $1 per Treasure played.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Miner: Action, $5  ★★★★★
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you've revealed 4 cards or a Treasure. Put all of them into your hand. If you revealed 4 cards, gain a Rubble onto your deck.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Profiteer: Action, $3  ★★★★☆
+1 Buy
+$3
Each other player gains a Gizmo.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Racketeer: Action-Attack, $5  ★★★★★
+$3
Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of their deck, trashes one costing from $3 to $6, and discards the rest. If they trashed a card, they either spend a Gem to gain it back or get +1 Gem.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Redistrict: Action, $2  ★★★★★
Return this to its pile. Trash a card from your hand; gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it, then gain a card costing exactly $2 more than it.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Refuge: Action-Activation, $2  ★★★★★
+2 Actions
When you trigger this, +1 Buy and you may discard any number of cards for +$1 each.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Regent: Action-Activation, $3  ★★★★☆
Gain a card onto your deck costing up to $5. Put a card from your hand onto your deck, then discard your hand.
When you trigger this, trash it and gain a Duchy.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Rummage: Action, $4  ★★★☆☆
+$2
You may discard a Rubble to gain 2 Gizmos or a card costing up to $5.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Spelunker: Action, $3  ★★★☆☆
+1 Action
Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. You may spend up to 3 Gems to put that many of the cards into your hand. Discard the rest.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Thaumaturge: Action-Attack, $5  ★★★★★
+2 Cards
Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand puts one onto their deck.
When you gain this, gain a Gizmo.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Trek: Action-Activation, $3  ★★★☆☆
Discard 2 cards.
When you trigger this, +3 Cards and +2 Actions.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Wanderer: Action, $2  ★★★★☆
+4 Cards
The player to your left gains this card.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Woodsman: Action-Activation, $4  ★★★★☆
+1 Card
+1 Action
When you trigger this, +$2.
--- End quote ---

And that's all! Again, I'd like to thank rinkworks for his encouragement during this set's first few baby steps. My, how far we've come. I'd like to thank lympi for helping me learn how to mock up card images. I'd especially like to thank those of you who have playtested my cards and given me feedback. This set would not be as good as it is today without you! I will continue to strive to improve it.

Tejayes:
So far, these look really good, LastFootnote. I especially like going through the changes made with each card from your earlier thread, from the relatively minor (bumping Mill Town's Copper requirement from 2 to 3) to the major (basically mutating Prospector into Surveyor). I only have a few questions about some of the cards:

--- Quote ---Surveyor
Types: Action
Cost: $3
+2 Cards. You may reveal then discard a card from your hand that is not a Victory card. If you do, trash this and gain a copy of the revealed card.
--- End quote ---

I'm guessing that since this is basically the newest card in your set, it hasn't had as much playtesting as the others. Is this true? Either way, what has your testing shown about opening with Surveyor. I would guess that unless you want to gain lots of Caravans or some other spammable $4, you'd want to wait to use the one-shot Mint-that-works-on-most-Actions-but-not-Harems until you draw a spammable expensive card like Grand Market or King's Court. I'd still rather open with this than Prospector, though.

--- Quote ---Aqueduct
Types: Victory
Cost: $4
Worth 2 VP.
When you gain this, reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. Discard the revealed Victory and Curse cards and put the rest back on top in any order.
--- End quote ---

In your previous thread, you mentioned your apprehension about this card's interaction with Ironworks. I actually like that interaction, since you can basically choose what to draw when you use IW to gain Aqueduct, assuming Aqueduct's effect resolves before Ironwork's bonus. What I don't like is how dual-type cards like Nobles and Harem are discarded as well. Have you tried a Farming Village-like wording, such as "Discard the revealed cards that are not Actions or Treasures, then put the rest back on top in any order" or "Put the revealed Action and Treasure cards back on top in any order, then discard the rest"?

--- Quote ---Mercenary
Types: Action - Attack
+2 Cards. +1 Action. You may discard a Treasure card from your hand. If you don't, trash this card. Each other player reveals the top 2 cards from his deck, discarding one that you choose and putting the other back on top.
--- End quote ---

I have nothing to say about the card itself, which I like. My question is, is that Guts from Berserk depicted in the image?

--- Quote ---Monopoly
+$2. Trash this card. Name a Kingdom card. Each other player reveals then discards the top 4 cards from his deck. If the named card is revealed, gain a Gold, putting it on top of your deck.
When you buy this, trash a Kingdom card from the Supply.
--- End quote ---

I'm debating whether this should be labeled as an Attack, since it now affects all other players instead of just the player to the left (a key reason why Possession and Tribute are not Attacks). Then again, it's a one-shot effect, and it doesn't leave junk on top like Rabble or Fortune Teller.

--- Quote ---Barracks
Cost: $5
Choose one: +2 Actions; or reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Attack card, discard the other cards, then play the Attack card.
When you gain this, gain a Conscripts card.

Conscripts
Cost: $0*
+$2. Trash this card. Each other player gains a Curse, putting it in his hand. (This is not in the Supply.)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, without other Attacks available, I wouldn't like this as an IGG-like card. For one, IGG always helps toward buying IGGs or Duchies, especially when you have more than one in hand. The problem with Barracks in the same situation is three-fold: if you have more than one Barracks and only one Conscripts left, all but one of the Barracks are useless unless you have a good drawer; if you have just the one Barracks/Conscripts and you draw both in the same hand, Barracks is once again useless; and once all Conscripts are used, the Barracks are just super-weak Villages, which I see as worse than IGG's "weak Silver" effect, especially with Gardens in play. I still like this with other good attacks in play, though.

--- Quote ---Tax Collector
Cost: $6
+1 Buy. +2 Coins. Each other player with at least 5 cards in hand trashes a card from his hand costing 2 Coins or more (or reveals a hand with no such cards). He may gain a card costing less than it.
--- End quote ---

Have you tested this against Goons? Both are $6 Woodcutters with Attacks, and I agree that Tax Collector's attack is stronger than Goons' for the most part. However, the real meat of Goons is the +VP with each Buy. I would guess that in games without good +Actions or any way to play more than one Goons at a time, Tax Collector might often be stronger. With the ability to multi-Goons, though, I doubt the efficacy of Tax Collector other than as a way to thwart some mega-Goons hands. Let us know what Goons vs. Tax Collector is like, please.

timchen:
Very polished cards and very nice graphics too! I like mill town and barracks in particular.

eHalcyon:

--- Quote from: Tejayes on March 31, 2012, 11:55:38 pm ---
--- Quote ---Monopoly
+$2. Trash this card. Name a Kingdom card. Each other player reveals then discards the top 4 cards from his deck. If the named card is revealed, gain a Gold, putting it on top of your deck.
--- End quote ---

I'm debating whether this should be labeled as an Attack, since it now affects all other players instead of just the player to the left (a key reason why Possession and Tribute are not Attacks). Then again, it's a one-shot effect, and it doesn't leave junk on top like Rabble or Fortune Teller.
--- End quote ---

Well, Possession technically doesn't hurt the other player because they still get their turn, and Tribute doesn't hurt either because it's just as likely that you're clearing junk from the top of their deck as you are to be discarding good stuff.  Likewise with this card -- it's not an Attack.  Affecting all other players does not make it an attack -- consider Masquerade, which affects all players as well.

LastFootnote:

--- Quote from: Tejayes on March 31, 2012, 11:55:38 pm ---
--- Quote ---Surveyor
Cost: $3
+2 Cards. You may reveal then discard a card from your hand that is not a Victory card. If you do, trash this and gain a copy of the revealed card.
--- End quote ---

I'm guessing that since this is basically the newest card in your set, it hasn't had as much playtesting as the others. Is this true? Either way, what has your testing shown about opening with Surveyor. I would guess that unless you want to gain lots of Caravans or some other spammable $4, you'd want to wait to use the one-shot Mint-that-works-on-most-Actions-but-not-Harems until you draw a spammable expensive card like Grand Market or King's Court. I'd still rather open with this than Prospector, though.

--- End quote ---

Well, Gambler, which is a mutated and much simplified form of Tinker, is technically newer than Surveyor. But yeah, Surveyor is pretty recent. Prospector actually went through a huge number of wacky iterations before it became Surveyor. At one point it was, "+2 Cards. You may reveal your hand. If the total cost of the revealed cards is exactly $7, trash this and gain 2 Golds." I definitely like Surveyor better than any iteration of Prospector, though. It's harsh, but flexible.

Anyhow, as far as openings go, Surveyor hasn't been awful. I wouldn't open with it if, say, Militia were available, but the card draw gives you a bit of a buying power boost until you can trash it for something awesome. Actually, since I posted this thread I played an Alchemy game where I opened Surveyor/Potion. It was good enough to get me to $3P for my first Familiar on turn 3 or 4. Later in the game (but still pretty early), I played a Surveyor and had a Philosopher's Stone in hand. Long story short, Surveyor is great for accumulating Philosopher's Stones because you don't mind discarding them early in the game and it's fantastic having a bunch in the late game. I got two extra Stones that way.

--- Quote ---
--- Quote ---Aqueduct
Types: Victory
Worth 2 VP.
When you gain this, reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. Discard the revealed Victory and Curse cards and put the rest back on top in any order.
--- End quote ---

In your previous thread, you mentioned your apprehension about this card's interaction with Ironworks. I actually like that interaction, since you can basically choose what to draw when you use IW to gain Aqueduct, assuming Aqueduct's effect resolves before Ironwork's bonus. What I don't like is how dual-type cards like Nobles and Harem are discarded as well. Have you tried a Farming Village-like wording, such as "Discard the revealed cards that are not Actions or Treasures, then put the rest back on top in any order" or "Put the revealed Action and Treasure cards back on top in any order, then discard the rest"?

--- End quote ---

I decided that I liked the Ironworks interaction too, and that it wouldn't slow things down too much. So the ability will stay on-gain!

As far as the wording of the card, I was definitely conscious that it discarded dual-type Victory cards when I designed it, but I honestly couldn't tell you why I decided to go with that wording anyway. I like your "Put the revealed Action and Treasure cards back on top in any order, then discard the rest" wording and I do believe I'll try that version out. Aqueduct hasn't gotten that much play in our test games yet, so it could use the boost.

--- Quote ---
--- Quote ---Mercenary
+2 Cards. +1 Action. You may discard a Treasure card from your hand. If you don't, trash this card. Each other player reveals the top 2 cards from his deck, discarding one that you choose and putting the other back on top.
--- End quote ---

I have nothing to say about the card itself, which I like. My question is, is that Guts from Berserk depicted in the image?

--- End quote ---

Yes, yes it is. I haven't seen the Berserk anime for many years, but as soon as the image came up in my search, I thought, "That's perfect!"

--- Quote ---
--- Quote ---Monopoly
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Yeah, like eHalcyon said, I didn't make it an Attack because it doesn't hurt the other players on average. Several iterations of the card did just work on the player to your left, but I think it'll get more play this way. In 2-player games, it's useful when your opponent is buying up most of one card, like Minion, Caravan, or Gardens. I figure that in multi-plalyer games, it'll be useful when all of your opponents open with the same card. Time will tell.

--- Quote ---
--- Quote ---Barracks
Cost: $5
Choose one: +2 Actions; or reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Attack card, discard the other cards, then play the Attack card.
When you gain this, gain a Conscripts card.

Conscripts
Cost: $0*
+$2. Trash this card. Each other player gains a Curse, putting it in his hand. (This is not in the Supply.)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, without other Attacks available, I wouldn't like this as an IGG-like card. For one, IGG always helps toward buying IGGs or Duchies, especially when you have more than one in hand. The problem with Barracks in the same situation is three-fold: if you have more than one Barracks and only one Conscripts left, all but one of the Barracks are useless unless you have a good drawer; if you have just the one Barracks/Conscripts and you draw both in the same hand, Barracks is once again useless; and once all Conscripts are used, the Barracks are just super-weak Villages, which I see as worse than IGG's "weak Silver" effect, especially with Gardens in play. I still like this with other good attacks in play, though.

--- End quote ---

I agree with everything you said. I kind of like that it's a reliable Curse effect that you nevertheless may not want to use until the Curses run out. The +2 Actions effect is very weak, but the dig-for-an-Attack effect is quite strong, and I felt like it needed some usage for games with no other Attacks. It used to be +1 Card/+2 Actions until I realized that an unscrupulous player could, in theory, glance at the top card of their deck as they picked it up and then decide whether they were drawing or revealing it. I had it at +2 Actions/+$1 for a while on paper, but the version here is the only one that's actually been playtested so far. I had guessed that the +2 Actions/+1 Coin would be too powerful, but I should probably test it at some point.

--- Quote ---
--- Quote ---Tax Collector
Cost: $6
+1 Buy. +2 Coins. Each other player with at least 5 cards in hand trashes a card from his hand costing 2 Coins or more (or reveals a hand with no such cards). He may gain a card costing less than it.
--- End quote ---

Have you tested this against Goons? Both are $6 Woodcutters with Attacks, and I agree that Tax Collector's attack is stronger than Goons' for the most part. However, the real meat of Goons is the +VP with each Buy. I would guess that in games without good +Actions or any way to play more than one Goons at a time, Tax Collector might often be stronger. With the ability to multi-Goons, though, I doubt the efficacy of Tax Collector other than as a way to thwart some mega-Goons hands. Let us know what Goons vs. Tax Collector is like, please.

--- End quote ---

I have yet to play a game with both cards, but I will do so and let you know how it goes. Regardless of how they stack up in a direct confrontation, I really hope Tax Collector isn't as strong as Goons in general. I priced Tax Collector at $6 partly because of its power and partly so that you could never open with it. I've found that it needs a long game in order for it to stop being a liability and start doing some real damage. It seems to work better in conjunction with cursing attacks, for instance.

Thanks for your questions and feedback!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version