Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Plateau Shepherds + Cost reducer  (Read 1144 times)

cookiedrugs

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Plateau Shepherds + Cost reducer
« on: March 14, 2022, 09:18:59 am »
+1

I think Plateau Shepherds is the first card that looks at the cost of cards when counting the points. As far as I know, there really isn't a rule that says cost reducers don't apply at this point. I can think of three scenarios:

- Ferry-Token on a 4-cost-card (e.g. Remodel) => Remodel counts
- One Favor-Token with Family of Inventors on a 3-cost-card (e.g. Village). Of course, this only works with two allies => Village counts
- Highway stays in play after the game (with Way of the mouse + Duration) => All 3-cost-cards count

Is this correct, or do all cost reductions end before counting the points?

Edit: see first post of Davio
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 11:08:00 am by cookiedrugs »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Re: Plateau Shepherds + Cost reducer
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 10:38:54 am »
+1

Cost reducers normally apply to turns, for instance Ferry:

Move your -$2 cost token to an Action Supply pile. (Cards from that pile cost $2 less on your turns, but not less than $0.)
So at the end of the game, when you're tallying points, it's not "your turn" (or anybody's turn) so the cards just have their normal costs.

Family of Inventors says:
This makes cards cost less at all times for all players, not just for the player placing the token.
"At all times" I guess also refers to the end of the game so I would think cards still cost less at that point.

With regards to Duration cost reducers: at the end of the game you just put all of your cards in one big pile and start counting so even Duration cards, although they might not have been discarded during the clean-up phase, still end up in that pile and are not doing anything anymore.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

cookiedrugs

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 10:50:55 am »

Move your -$2 cost token to an Action Supply pile. (Cards from that pile cost $2 less on your turns, but not less than $0.)
So at the end of the game, when you're tallying points, it's not "your turn" (or anybody's turn) so the cards just have their normal costs.
You are so right. Shame on me for read over it.

With regards to Duration cost reducers: at the end of the game you just put all of your cards in one big pile and start counting so even Duration cards, although they might not have been discarded during the clean-up phase, still end up in that pile and are not doing anything anymore.
I can't find this rule right now, but I remember reading it. That makes sense.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 10:52:23 am by cookiedrugs »

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 11:56:40 am »

While it won't affect end of game scores, it will affect the online VP counter - the score you see during your turn may not be your actual score at the end of the game (independent of new Victory card buys, of course)!

Edit: Ingix pointed out below that this is not the case. Which does make sense, since Plateau Shepherds says "When scoring".
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 12:53:06 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2022, 12:35:34 pm »
+3

While it won't affect end of game scores, it will affect the online VP counter - the score you see during your turn may not be your actual score at the end of the game (independent of new Victory card buys, of course)!

When Plateau Shepherds is in a game, the VP counter on dominion.games will only consider the "after game end" cost of cards. So if you played a Bridge (everything costs $1 less), it would still count Estates (and not Silver) as a $2 card for Plateau Shepherd purposes.

The only cost reducer that could potentially work at game end is AFAIK Family of Inventors, but since it's also an Ally, it can't be in the same game as Plateau Shepherds.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2022, 12:55:44 am »

Was thinking about this today.

You'll never have a game with both Family of Inventors and Plateau Shepherds, so it can remain unresolved what happens with cost reducers. I suspect Family of Inventors will need formal errata if there's ever another card (shaped thing) that interacts with card costs at the end of the game.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2022, 11:00:54 am »

Highway and Princess say "while this is in play". Duration-Highway (way of the mouse) stays in play even when scoring, I think. Distand Land stays on Tavern Mat when scoring. Old Native Village and Island told you to put your cards on your mat into your deck, but those were for Gardens or Dukes. So when scoring, Duration cards we used on our last turn are in play, I suppose.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2022, 01:31:29 pm »
+3

Highway and Princess say "while this is in play". Duration-Highway (way of the mouse) stays in play even when scoring, I think. Distand Land stays on Tavern Mat when scoring. Old Native Village and Island told you to put your cards on your mat into your deck, but those were for Gardens or Dukes. So when scoring, Duration cards we used on our last turn are in play, I suppose.
When scoring, nothing is in play. You scoop it all up and sort it into piles.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.