Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hamlet + Fellowship Of Scribes  (Read 1761 times)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
Hamlet + Fellowship Of Scribes
« on: March 12, 2022, 12:52:32 pm »
+2

I have 1 Favor. I play Hamlet. I discard for +1 Action. I now have 4 cards in hand. Fellowship Of Scribes doesn't ask if I want to spend a Favor for +1 Card. I discard for +1 Buy. I now have 3 cards in hand. Fellowship Of Scribes still doesn't ask if I want to spend a Favor for +1 Card.

I suspect this is because Fellowship Of Scribes is activated when you've finished playing a card, and with the current implementation of Hamlet, it's ambiguous as to whether or not you've actually finished playing it: you can press the discard button (which means you're still playing it) or you can play another card (which means you're not still playing it).

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Re: Hamlet + Fellowship Of Scribes
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 01:16:11 pm »

In the rulebook, it actually explains this:

Fellowship of Scribes: You can only do this once per time you play an Action
card. Completely resolve the Action card; then if you have 4 or fewer cards in
hand, you may spend a Favor for +1 Card.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 02:39:37 pm »
+3

That doesn't address Chuckles's problem, Davio; it still didn't give them a chance to use Scribes after the Action card was resolved.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2022, 05:26:29 am »

That doesn't address Chuckles's problem, Davio; it still didn't give them a chance to use Scribes after the Action card was resolved.
Oh right, I thought it only fizzled after the action part, but if it also fizzels after the buy part, that's obviously a bug.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 08:28:05 am »

Oh right, I thought it only fizzled after the action part, but if it also fizzels after the buy part, that's obviously a bug.

fizzling after discarding for an action would also be a bug - using hamlet as a village is still handsize negative.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022, 10:28:36 am »
+1

fizzling after discarding for an action would also be a bug - using hamlet as a village is still handsize negative.
Yes I meant that with Hamlet, it has to wait for a decision on both the extra action and the extra buy and if you discarded for either (and thus have 4 cards or less), it should give you the choice.
So if you discard for +1 action, there has to be a way to opt-out of the discarding for +Buy and triggering FoS.

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 06:43:49 am »
+1

Unfortunately, that not-working interaction of Fellowship of Scribes with cards that can "end early" (like Hamlet) is a known bug with (apparently) no easy fix.

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2022, 07:29:36 am »
+3

Unfortunately, that not-working interaction of Fellowship of Scribes with cards that can "end early" (like Hamlet) is a known bug with (apparently) no easy fix.
Do Royal Carriage and Coin of the Realm work with Hamlet? They are the other things that care about when you've finished playing a card.

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2022, 12:45:14 pm »

They do. I think the conditional nature of the condition may be a problem, but I'm just guessing here.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2022, 11:25:29 pm »
+1

I don't play online and am also not a UX expert, but I'm surprised that the Hamlet interface works that way to begin with. It seems like it should just always be clear whether or not you are still in the middle of playing a card; so when you play Hamlet you shouldn't be allowed to then play another card until you've actually made the choices that Hamlet requires you to make. Maybe people play Hamlet without discarding so often that the single extra click to say "no discard" would actually be an issue, but I wouldn't think so.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2022, 05:26:49 am »

When you play Hamlet on dominion.games it works like this:

You get 3 buttons 'discard for +action', 'discard for +buy' and 'don't discard'.
If you happen to have another action card in your hand the button 'don't discard' is not shown, but you can just play that action card to forfeit discarding for the Hamlet currently in play.
If you discard for +buy first, you can no longer choose to discard for +action.

Now the bug with Fellowship of Scribes is that it only triggers immediately after playing a Hamlet from your hand, but before discarding.
So if you play Hamlet and discard down to 4 and then play another Hamlet, it asks you if you want to trigger Fellowship of Scribes.
After resolving Fellowship of Scribes you get the options for Hamlet and you can continue resolving it.

That is probably wrong.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2022, 04:04:46 pm »
+3

When you play Hamlet on dominion.games it works like this:

You get 3 buttons 'discard for +action', 'discard for +buy' and 'don't discard'.
If you happen to have another action card in your hand the button 'don't discard' is not shown, but you can just play that action card to forfeit discarding for the Hamlet currently in play.

Well this should be very easy to fix then... just keep the "don't discard" button there even when you have another action card in your hand. Feels like that's how it should have always worked anyway. You could still even allow the shortcut of playing another card directly.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2022, 03:12:10 am »
+1

A similar bug happens with Plaza. After drawing for Plaza, if you have less than 5 cards, the server will offer the chance to use Fellowship of Scribes, but not after you discard for Coffers, so it only gives you the chance to use Fellowship in the middle of its resolution, which significantly weakens the Plaza-Fellowship combo
They/them
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 21 queries.