Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Solo Challenge 10 - A uadbaoS telleB Tribute  (Read 10436 times)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Solo Challenge 10 - A uadbaoS telleB Tribute
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2012, 12:52:25 pm »

The problem with multiple Hagglers is exactly as you say: when you run out of card that you want to gain, Haggler is either a dead card or you're forced to gain more dead cards.

GigaKnight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2012, 01:39:41 pm »

The problem with multiple Hagglers is exactly as you say: when you run out of card that you want to gain, Haggler is either a dead card or you're forced to gain more dead cards.

Right, but my point is that with a Province strategy on this board, I think you'll pretty much always have something good to gain.  The reason it didn't work perfectly for the Duchy/Estate strategy is because all the engine components AND primary point cards cost $5, meaning you can only Haggler $4 and less cards but you only really want Mining Villages at that cost.  Even with this "problem," I still found it more-effective to Haggler with Duchy/Estate since it built the engine that much faster.  With the Province strategy and enough Hagglers, I think greening should actually help you finish building your engine.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2012, 02:00:30 pm »

You need the deck to cycle fast and you can't afford to have a moneylender and two hagglers. If you were looking to get to 15 turns I suspect you would add more vaults/markets/mining villages and plan for lucky series of 2 province turns to finish.

Mazwa

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2012, 02:26:43 pm »
+1

Yeah Giga, i thought about continuing to try to get better luck.  There's no reason I couldn't have drawn my turn 17 hand on turn 16 and ended it then.  I'm not sure I could have gotten 15 turns though without changing some strategy.  I had one attempt where I pulled the trigger on my big turn in turn 15 but fell $4-$5 or so short of the last province.  But there was only so many times I was willing to replay the game.  Ozle seems to like torturing us with games where we have to have to good fortune of pulling our whole hands using 2 card draws =).  This game felt a lot like the Festival/Oracle game from last week to me.

I liked double haggler better than one.  And the earlier you start greening, the better the haggler is.  I would have thought DG and fate would benefit more from the second haggler than I did since they started on provinces a few turns earlier.  It would clog the deck as DG said, but my guess is that to hit 15 turns you'd have to go double haggler, start greening earlier than I did, and hope for some good luck.

GigaKnight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2012, 03:06:22 pm »

I'm not sure I could have gotten 15 turns though without changing some strategy.

I'm pretty sure you could have (but maybe it wouldn't have been worth it).  The benefits of turns 8 and 9 could have easily been realized in one turn (trash a Copper, buy a Vault).  And 16 was just a no-op.  That's two strong indicators that there's good room for improvement.  If Ozle doesn't post a new challenge by tonight, maybe I'll play with this a bit myself.

Isotropic really needs a "restart game" button, btw... :)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.