Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Some interesting observations about Highwayman  (Read 1158 times)

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
Some interesting observations about Highwayman
« on: March 07, 2022, 12:52:14 am »
+4

With Highwayman in the game, it often pays to keep one of your Coppers, so that you can play it as your first Treasure and avoid having more valuable treasures nullified (of course, if the kingdom supports a Treasureless engine, then that's the best counter)

It also has an interesting interaction with Capitalism. It's not the first Attack that interacts with Capitalism, of course. Even the base set has Bandit. But in every other Attack that interacts with Capitalism, the interaction depends on the attacker having Capitalism. But with Highwayman, it depends on the attacked player having Capitalism. So, in a kingdom with Highwayman and Capitalism, it's probably best not to buy Capitalism

It really likes Courier. Since it's discarded at the start of your turn, it will typically be in your discard pile when you play Courier, barring a mid-turn reshuffle, making repeated plays especially easy
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
Re: Some interesting observations about Highwayman
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 02:43:37 am »
+5

Also, it hits Crown pretty hard in most kingdoms, which has an odd thematic appropriateness, I think. Highwaymen aren't generally known for their loyalty to the Crown ...
They/them

BraydonM

• Coppersmith
  • Shuffle iT Username: BraydonM
  • Respect: +58
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 11:17:55 am »
+2

Whether or not you should buy capitalism against highwayman is far from clear cut and depends on the board. If you rely on the action for cards or +action you don’t want it but with the large number of coin giving cards like treasurer and monument that don’t do that you can play them after a copper in your buy phase and save the actions, just as good as it usually is.

Only problem is if you NEED to play them in action phase. Maybe you could also have library and want to play stuff to empty your hand and that might make it bad.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 01:20:32 pm »

With Highwayman in the game, it often pays to keep one of your Coppers, so that you can play it as your first Treasure and avoid having more valuable treasures nullified (of course, if the kingdom supports a Treasureless engine, then that's the best counter)

It also has an interesting interaction with Capitalism. It's not the first Attack that interacts with Capitalism, of course. Even the base set has Bandit. But in every other Attack that interacts with Capitalism, the interaction depends on the attacker having Capitalism. But with Highwayman, it depends on the attacked player having Capitalism. So, in a kingdom with Highwayman and Capitalism, it's probably best not to buy Capitalism

It really likes Courier. Since it's discarded at the start of your turn, it will typically be in your discard pile when you play Courier, barring a mid-turn reshuffle, making repeated plays especially easy

It likes anything.  I think this card is really fantastic.  It's discard as it's played effect means that you only need one, and can likely draw it again in the same turn.  So you get the attack of treasure nullification on every hand to your opponent, and you get an 8 card hand to pop your engine off every time. So it's like having 1-3 -1 tokens on your opponent's every hand while you get a free expedition on every hand.  That's freaking nutso to be able to do with 5 coins.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 02:05:22 pm by Honkeyfresh »
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 01:39:17 pm »
+3

Did we ever get a clear rule about what "does nothing" means? Does it just remove the on-play ability; are under-the-line abilities still in effect?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 02:08:24 pm »

Whether or not you should buy capitalism against highwayman is far from clear cut and depends on the board. If you rely on the action for cards or +action you don’t want it but with the large number of coin giving cards like treasurer and monument that don’t do that you can play them after a copper in your buy phase and save the actions, just as good as it usually is.

Only problem is if you NEED to play them in action phase. Maybe you could also have library and want to play stuff to empty your hand and that might make it bad.

I dunno.  It draws 3 extra cards.  In a cap game it is fairly likely that once you cap the cards that you draw from having it will lead to more actions being played by capitalism even counting that one action or treasure is lost. I mean you can just play the copper/silver usually, especially if yo are drawing 8 card hands b/c of highwayman.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +466
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2022, 08:28:27 am »
+1

Did we ever get a clear rule about what "does nothing" means? Does it just remove the on-play ability; are under-the-line abilities still in effect?

It's not from Donald, but Ingix just posted this in the preview thread:
As with Enchantresses/Ways, the below-the-line effects of cards are not affected. So Quarry doesn't produce $1 when played as first Treasure under Highwayman, but it does reduce the cost of Action cards.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.