Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #145: Down the hatch!  (Read 6224 times)

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
Weekly Design Contest #145: Down the hatch!
« on: March 05, 2022, 04:34:54 pm »
+5

Weekly Design Contest 145: Down the hatch!

Design a card that thematically lends itself to alcohol

Allies is around the corner! Previews have dropped! Dominion now has 14 expansions in its catalogue. 14!
This calls for a celebration! Bring out the Champaign, because this contest is all about alcohol. And, well, nothing much more beyond that, actually. It’s pretty simple really: just make a card that invokes alcohol thematically.

It doesn’t need to be as straightforward as a mug o’ beer. A keg is as acceptable of a card as would be a bar or a brew master. Or how about a nice branch of hops? Anyway, these are just quick ideas to get you going. Go nuts beyond that. But remember: t’has to do with alcohol!

Some extra rules include:
  • Actually, not many extra rules. You can do a Landscape card if you want. Or send multiple cards at once, such as with split piles or Travelers. I will say though that I prefer when only one card is submitted. Makes it easier to judge, lol.
Judging will be, of course, based on whether or not your card(s) match the requested theme. That’s like, a mandatory thing. And, well, how much the effects of your card(s) use said theme. That's kind of important too. Otherwise, tip of the judge: I’ll admit that I’m biased toward simpler cards. I mean, we’re celebrating with alcohol here, I’m way past the point where I can read a novel on a card! :D

Judging desperately wants to occur in exactly one week, so on the 12th of March. However, I am not without my fare share of delays. Sorry if it happens, I’ll try my best not to!
Crap, the expected delay has come forth! Judging will actually be done on the upcoming Tuesday, on the 22-03-15.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 04:56:23 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #145: Down the hatch!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 07:47:02 pm »

You're gonna love this being the only Village on the board.
they/them

nyxfulloftricks

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
It's all fun and games until your tab is due.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 09:33:40 pm »
+3

Tab
Project
@6
The first card you buy each turn, you may buy as though you do not have @. That card's $ cost may be replaced with that much @.
-
At the end of the game -1% per @1 you have

Thematically, I thought this was a cute entry, I'm not quite sure about the cost. I recognize this is a powerful project, but it is really interesting to me to playtest. For those of you with concerns on someone piling out when you still have a bunch of debt, that is the interesting risk you run with using this project. I look forward to everyone's thoughts.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 10:12:22 pm »
+8

Barrel is a weird one, it's a pure Reserve card that goes right to your Tavern mat, but it's secretly a VP card that you want to buy early and gets better with age. Each time you shuffle (limited to once per turn), you decide if you want to add a VP token to it (sort of like a Gathering card) or call it to take all the VP. The Barrel becomes a dead card in your deck afterwards. The more times you can shuffle, the more points you can earn, but don't let them age too long, as you don't get any VP for uncalled Barrels! You gotta drink it sometime.

*Edit: changed to first shuffle per turn to nerf sifters per spineflu's suggestion.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 12:47:14 pm by 4est »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2022, 10:40:48 pm »
+1

You're gonna love this being the only Village on the board.

What happens if you play a card that gives +2 Actions but not any +Cards? You get +1 Action and ignore the minus +Cards part?

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2022, 12:12:14 am »

What happens if you play a card that gives +2 Actions but not any +Cards? You get +1 Action and ignore the minus +Cards part?

Pretty much, due to the "do as much of the instructions as you can" rule.
they/them

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2022, 12:26:03 am »
+3

Distillery
Action - $5
+1 Card
You may play an Action from your hand. If it's still in play, play it again, ignoring all text (including dividing lines) that isn't +Card(s), +Action(s), +$ and +Buy(s).

Examples to clarify rules

If you play Merchant with Distillery, the first play is normal. The second play is "+1 Card, +1 Action, +$1" (it ignores the "The first time you play a Silver this turn"

If you play Pawn with Distillery, the second play is a Market (it ignores the "Choose two").

If you play a Fishing Village with it, the second play gives you +3 Actions and +$2 (Distillery sees "+2 Actions, +$1, +1 Action, +$1). The Distillery will not stay in play, as it's not needed to track a Duration effect.

If you play a Poor House with Distillery, the second play gives you +$4 (it ignores the -$1 because it isn't a "+$")

If you play a Cultist with Distillery, the 2nd play gives you +5 cards (+2 Cards from the text, +3 Cards from the "when you trash" - it ignores lines)

If you play Forager with Distillery, the second play gives you +1 Action, +1 Buy, +$1 (it ignores the "per differently named Treasure in the Trash)

If you play Teacher with Distillery and it's still in play (e.g. your first play was as Way of the Sheep), the 2nd play is a Market (it ignores the word "token")
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 01:12:58 am by NoMoreFun »

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2022, 05:32:18 am »
+7

Way of the Drunk
Way

+1 Action

Turn your deck over so it is face up and shuffle your discard pile then place it face down. Your deck is now your discard pile and your discard pile is now your deck.

- Could have some interesting interactions with deck manipulation cards as this turns previous top decking into discarding and discarding into putting cards on the bottom of your deck.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 05:13:09 pm by xyz123 »

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2022, 05:45:02 am »
+2

Pint
Action - Reserve
$3

+1 Action
Gain a Pint to your Tavern mat.
----
At the start of your turn, you may call this for +$3, +1 Buy and discard a card from your hand.
There are 12 copies of Pint in the pile.

Sample one pint early on, then you can get your tavern to stock up on them ready for your mega-bingeturn. Don't start drinking too early - once all those pints are sloshing about your deck won't be so effective.

EDIT: Added a discard when you call it and reduced the cost to $3 (based on the principle of making things as cheap as you can without breaking them).

I've been thinking about this some more - Pints are like the opposite of Spoils - they give you $3, but whereas Spoils take space in your deck until you use them, Pints take space in your deck after you use them.

Also, on most boards an even split of 6 is the worst number of Pints to get (buy 1, have 5 on your mat ready to call - that gives you a "mega-turn" of $15 and nothing in your hand, can't even double-Province). If you have fewer than 6 then you may be sober enough to run your engine still (call 3 then play Village + Library seems ideal). If you have more than 6 then you have more coins to spend and if the Pints are completely uncontested then your mega-turn will get you 4 Provinces or 3 Colonies.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 04:04:06 am by infangthief »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2022, 08:07:19 am »
+4

Barrel is a weird one, it's a pure Reserve card that goes right to your Tavern mat, but it's secretly a VP card that you want to buy early and gets better with age. Each time you shuffle, you decide if you want to add a VP token to it (sort of like a Gathering card) or call it to take all the VP. The Barrel becomes a dead card in your deck afterwards. The more times you can shuffle, the more points you can earn, but don't let them age too long, as you don't get any VP for uncalled Barrels! You gotta drink it sometime.
interesting but too easy to juice via sifters - you might want to change it to just count the first time you shuffle on a turn

UltimateGeek

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2022, 10:02:14 am »
+1

Action: Intoxicate

+1 Buy
Each other player drinks one of their shots.
-
Setup: Pour 3 shots per player.

Intentionally left vague so if players want to refill their shots they can.

Not an "attack" so that the spirit of the card is not thwarted by protection cards. Is meant to create a fun drinking game.

Priced so that you can gain two in the opening round no matter what.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2022, 04:10:03 pm »
+5

Way of the Drunk
Way

+1 Action

Turn your deck over so it is face up and your discard pile over so it is face down. Your deck is now your discard pile and your discard pile is now your deck.

- Could have some interesting interactions with deck manipulation cards as this turns previous top decking into discarding and discarding into putting cards on the bottom of your deck.

This has the problem that the order of your discard pile now suddenly matters. It should either make you shuffle your discard pile or arrange it in any order.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2022, 05:12:18 pm »
+1

Way of the Drunk
Way

+1 Action

Turn your deck over so it is face up and your discard pile over so it is face down. Your deck is now your discard pile and your discard pile is now your deck.

This has the problem that the order of your discard pile now suddenly matters. It should either make you shuffle your discard pile or arrange it in any order.

Thanks. Didn't think of that.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2022, 05:43:09 pm »
+1

Drunkard
Night - Reserve - $4
Put this on your Tavern Mat.
At the beginning of your turn, you may call this, to play an Action card from your hand three times and then trash it.
This is gained to your hand (instead of your discard).

It's surprisingly difficult to come up with something that embodies recklessness but that hasn't already been done. My original idea was to do something that plays cards from the top of your deck, but Herald, Vassal, Golem and Gamble already covered that ground pretty well. So I ended up with this. The fact that it's a reserve makes it easier to pair with a good target (which is a problem that Procession has), but it has to be from your starting hand so there's still some randomness. The use of the Night phase and the Tavern Mat also work well thematically.

CaptainReklaw

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2022, 10:47:51 am »
+1

Eggnog, only to be played with alchemy expansion. In games without a card with a potion cost repick the kingdom cards.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2022, 01:30:39 pm »
+3

Wine Snob - 6*
Action
+$5
+1 Buy
This turn, Treasures costing $2 or less do nothing when played.
-
You can’t buy this if you have any Coppers in play.

An expensive payload card that give $5 and a buy. This is a very strong card, but has the Grand Market purchase restriction and requires you to discard a Treasure when playing it or you have to trash it. There are ways to get around the restrictions on it, but that will require some work, and I think this is actually weaker in that regard when compared to Animal Fair. Feedback is appreciated.

Edit: Fixed the above line text to actually function as intended. Thanks to AJL828 for the feedback.

Edit#2: Changed the above the line effect to further promote going virtual money and avoiding the use of Copper. I am concerned this can break itself because it is a source of virtual coin, but this should be stronger most of the time. Of course, if there is no trashing or easy ways to filter out the copper it will not be an appealing card. Thanks to segura for the feedback.

Old Versions
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 10:48:56 pm by Xen3k »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2022, 01:37:24 pm »
+7

My Submission:

Quote from: Bacchanal
Bacchanal • $3 • Night
Do each of the following, in any order: trash a card from your hand; discard a card; put a card from your hand onto your deck; Exile a card from your hand.

When the booze gets flowing, it's is gonna turn into a wild party. But be careful; with everyone having such a good time, you're bound to lose track of something (or someone). Bacchanal is a deck thinner, sending four cards from left in your hand in every direction: to the trash, to Exile, to the discard, or onto your deck. You get to pick the order so if you don't have 4 cards, you get to choose where your cards go (for example, if you have 2 Provinces, you can Exile one and discard the other, rather than trashing or topdecking it).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2022, 05:04:50 pm »
+3

Wine Snob - 6*
Action
+$5
+1 Buy
Discard a Treasure card from your hand or trash this.
-
You can’t buy this if you have any Coppers in play.

An expensive payload card that give $5 and a buy. This is a very strong card, but has the Grand Market purchase restriction and requires you to discard a Treasure when playing it or you have to trash it. There are ways to get around the restrictions on it, but that will require some work, and I think this is actually weaker in that regard when compared to Animal Fair. Feedback is appreciated.

2 things for you:

1. Discarding is from your hand by default, and you also don’t need to specify Treasure “card” (Ex. Hero just says “gain a Treasure”) so that can shorten the text a bit.
2. With its current wording you wouldn’t have to trash the Wine Snob if you play it without any treasures in hand. If you want to make the discarding required to keep the W.S in your deck then you need to add something like “if you don’t then trash this.” If you don’t want it to be required it is still good to add “or reveal you can’t” to the discarding part to keep players honest.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2022, 05:04:55 pm »
+1

Trappist • $3 • Action - Reserve
If you don't have a token on your Trappist Mat, place one on the "Trash a card from your hand" spot.
Put this on your Tavern Mat
-
At the start of your turn, you may call this to take your bonus from the Trappist Mat. If you don't, choose one: advance your Trappist tokens; or add a Trappist token.
Trappist Mat
Per token you have here:
Trash a card from your hand | +1 Buy | +1 Action | +$1 | +1 Card

Rulebook/off-card rules:
• Trappist tokens are coin tokens on the Trappist mat.
• 'Advancing' means your Trappist tokens - all of them - move one space to the right (so +1 Buy, +1 Action, +$1, and last, +1 Card). Tokens cannot be advanced beyond +1 Card.
Trappist tokens are added where your existing Trappist tokens are. If you do not have any existing Trappist tokens, they're added at 'Trash a card from your hand.'
• Taking the bonus removes your tokens from the Trappist Mat after you receive the bonus.
• Advancing can happen multiple times, for multiple Trappists on your tavern mat. Likewise adding tokens. That below the line part is per-card.

Design notes:
• Theme inspirations: aging beer, trappist monks, live yeast beers.
• Create a choice between getting a better bonus and increasing the yield of the bonus
• Single-mat card; this could've been done with individual mats for each player but I like the idea of putting the color coding right on there. Sorry Blue (bottom) + White (top), you're going to have your coins interfere with the text of the mat.
• Terminal, but there wasn't a lot of room for +Actions. c'est la vie v0v.
• Starts with trashing because that's what religious themed cards do in dominion
• Sorry I did a rush job on the photoshop, i used jerry's java image editor because I couldn't be bothered to wait for Actual Photoshop to load
• Probably pretty frustrating to actually play. Might not be my final submission, as a result.
• did you know the middle brown-gold on the big mats is pretty darn close to the color of Reserve cards? I didn't.
• sort of an attempt to balance "what if broker was a reserve card?"
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 12:52:15 pm by spineflu »

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2022, 05:56:13 pm »
+6

Bartender
Action ($5)

+2 Cards
Trash a card from your hand. You may put your -1 Card token onto your deck for +1 Action.

Your choice between cantrip trasher or Masquerade-ish trasher, whichever flavour you prefer. I made the choice to take the +Action after drawing and trashing to allow the card to be more flexible. It can also work pretty well with DtX.

Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2022, 11:46:43 pm »
+1

A Victory card split pile.  For 2-player games, there are 4 of each.  For 3+ player games, there are 6 of each.

Distillery is weaker Cellar, combined with an Estate.  It sifts like Cellar, but only for Victory cards - good thing though, because if you're buying into this pile, you'll have a lot of Victory cards.

Brothel is a Harem, but could be better or could be worse.  In a rush game, you may not have enough time to make this worth 3 (so go buy Duchies instead!) before someone buys out Provinces.  In a game where this pile is contested, you may not even get it worth that many, if everyone splits the Distillery and Brothel cards.  If uncontested, you should be able to make it worth at least 4 (Estate, Duchy, Distillery, Brothel), maybe more if you can get some Provinces or if there are other Victory cards in play, but then your Distillery cards will be important to sift through mostly dead hands of green cards.
he/him

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2022, 01:02:28 pm »

EDIT: New Version

Original version:

Bacchus' inebriating attack can be quite brutal, although this can be somewhat mitigated by its Heirloom.

The best defense against Bacchus other than Moat variants will be cards like Fishing Village and Ghost Town, throne room variants, and cards that give you +Villagers (including Bacchus itself) (or just go for a money strategy).

Rules clarification: Bacchus' effect also applies to the next time you play a card with +Actions this turn, so you could use it to play a Village as a Smithy or for some extra economy. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 01:53:49 pm by Timinou »

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2022, 02:35:10 pm »
+2

Hops (Treasure, $2)

+1 Buy
+$1 per Action card you have in play.
Trash this.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2022, 02:38:55 pm »
+2

Bacchus' inebriating attack can be quite brutal, although this can be somewhat mitigated by its Heirloom.

The best defense against Bacchus other than Moat variants will be cards like Fishing Village and Ghost Town, throne room variants, and cards that give you +Villagers (including Bacchus itself) (or just go for a money strategy).

Rules clarification: Bacchus' effect also applies to the next time you play a card with +Actions this turn, so you could use it to play a Village as a Smithy or for some extra economy.

is it the first time they play a +actions card, or each time? card is unclear

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2022, 02:58:35 pm »
+1

is it the first time they play a +actions card, or each time? card is unclear

It’s a one-time thing, so should only apply to the first time an opponent plays a card with +Actions.  I didn’t use “the first time” as  with Enchantress because otherwise the active player may not be able to make use of the effect on their current turn if they already played a card with +Actions.  Nonetheless, I’m OK with giving up the extra versatility and changing the text to “the first time” if that eliminates any confusion.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 03:06:04 pm by Timinou »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 20 queries.