Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Importer and Island Folk - when to take the extra turn?  (Read 1386 times)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
Importer and Island Folk - when to take the extra turn?
« on: March 04, 2022, 01:54:10 pm »
+1

You're playing a 2-player game with Importer as the only Liaison and Island Folk as the only source of extra turns. That means that you'll get an extra turn once in the game. When should you take the extra turn, and what factors should influence this decision?

My initial impulse is that in most games you should take the extra turn immediately, because there's a benefit to getting more of the key cards sooner (including Province as potentially among those key cards).

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
Re: Importer and Island Folk - when to take the extra turn?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 02:12:46 pm »
+1

I would also think immediately would usually be best. I can think of a few times where you might want to wait, but I think you're still realistically more ahead in every case if you take the extra turn earlier:
  • Tax
  • If you want to take more of the bottom of a split pile, maybe you wait until it's uncovered (like Avanto)
  • If you want to wait to see what your opponent does with their extra turn and try to counter it, wait until right after they use their extra turn
  • Some scenario where you envision ending the game in two turns and don't want your opponent to be able to stop you

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 02:29:07 pm »
+2

So does none of the strategy behind Seize the Day factor into this, since Seize the Day costs you and a buy?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 03:33:14 pm »
+1

So does none of the strategy behind Seize the Day factor into this, since Seize the Day costs you and a buy?

When you have Importer in the kingdom, not having to spend coins and a buy on the extra turn makes a huge difference in my opinion. The opportunity cost of seize the day early on is getting something else to help build your deck instead vs taking the extra turn later when 4 coins and a buy is not as much of your entire turn (e.g., this is why you don't buy Seize the Day on your first turn where you have 4 coins). On the other hand, there is no opportunity cost of Island Folk early when Importer is in the kingdom--you can't use the favors for anything else that game, and you're not spending your coins and a buy on it.

Now, if you don't have Importer, when should you pick up Liaisons to try to get favors for Island Folk, if at all? That's a pretty different consideration that isn't being discussed here.

Edit: a few words
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 03:34:46 pm by Wizard_Amul »

BraydonM

• Coppersmith
  • Shuffle iT Username: BraydonM
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 05:46:14 pm »
+6

Strategically it only matters when it comes to interaction from the opponent. Whether you combine turn 1-2 or turn 3-4 you end up in the same place at turn 5 if you ignore the opponent. There is no inherent advantage to any time.

If you have a race situation such as trying to be the first to throw out curses early is the time to do it. Or if you are racing for a card, especially in a split pile, use it then.

But a lot of the time you can let it hang out and try and use it when your opponent least expects.

Holding it up may prevent your opponent from taking the third province due to the threat of you doing or turning for the last two.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 05:47:44 pm by BraydonM »

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2022, 10:51:42 pm »

But if you do it really early the extra turn means so much less.  And extra turn later when your deck is much more productive seems a better use of the extra turn, but i haven't done any analytics on this, just my gut.

On a related note I played an opponent once who opened seize the day.  Like turn 1.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2022, 11:25:51 pm »
+4

But if you do it really early the extra turn means so much less.  And extra turn later when your deck is much more productive seems a better use of the extra turn, but i haven't done any analytics on this, just my gut.

It literally doesn't matter how productive your deck is. Dominion is a race to ending the game with a point lead, and regardless of when you take an extra turn, it gives you the exact same amount of extra time to do that (a turn). Even Seize the Day works like this, but even though its effect stays the same throughout the game, its cost becomes less and less significant as your turns get bigger, which is why it's generally best to buy it late unless you happen to have $4 and a buy you would otherwise waste or spend on something inconsequential.

What does matter, however, is that Dominion has player interaction so you might have a reason why you want to take two turns in a row without letting your opponent do something in between them, like buying the last City on the normal turn and then using the extra turn so that you can also be the first player to benefit from Cities being empty, or getting to break PPR safely.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 11:27:10 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2022, 11:56:02 pm »

It literally doesn't matter how productive your deck is. Dominion is a race to ending the game with a point lead, and regardless of when you take an extra turn, it gives you the exact same amount of extra time to do that (a turn). Even Seize the Day works like this, but even though its effect stays the same throughout the game, its cost becomes less and less significant as your turns get bigger, which is why it's generally best to buy it late unless you happen to have $4 and a buy you would otherwise waste or spend on something inconsequential.

What does matter, however, is that Dominion has player interaction so you might have a reason why you want to take two turns in a row without letting your opponent do something in between them, like buying the last City on the normal turn and then using the extra turn so that you can also be the first player to benefit from Cities being empty, or getting to break PPR safely.

I'd +1 this but I like that yours is 12345
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2022, 04:45:37 am »
+1

On a related note I played an opponent once who opened seize the day.  Like turn 1.
Maybe that can be worth it, like in an Ambassador game?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 20 queries.